29 Nov 2011
Playstation Staff

audio cuts out intermittently on PS3

[ Edited ]
3 Replies 3,789 Views edited 29-11-2011

Hi all,

Wondering if anyone can help or is having a similar problem like this.
Basically the audio in games intermittently cuts out either during menus and game play or both. This also happens in PS Home but not during playback of video or music saved to the HDD, blu-ray movies or CD's.

It seems to be a hard drive problem because trying Killzone 3 today the music was staggering (like a CD skipping noise) for the exact time the HDD access light stayed lit.

I'm using a 7 month old ps3 slim 320GB, with original HDD and no other alterations. Running through an official (3D compatible) HDMI cable straight into the TV (no external audio output source). I have all settings on auto but did try de-selecting dolby 5.1, same problem.

I should note that I have tried a separate component cable and STILL the same problem so surely it can't be the cable/s unless I'm really unlucky. I probably will try another HDMI though.

Also the TV is a 4 month old Sony Bravia with no other issues from any other source.
HELP ???(thanks in advance !)

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4 (3,789 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 6

Playstation Staff

Re: audio cuts out intermittently on PS3

kit-tiger wrote:

Hi all,

Basically the audio in games intermittently cuts out either during menus and game play or both. This also happens in PS Home but not during playback of video or music saved to the HDD, blu-ray movies or CD's.

It seems to be a hard drive problem because trying Killzone 3 today the music was staggering (like a CD skipping noise) for the exact time the HDD access light stayed lit.

I'm using a 7 month old ps3 slim 320GB, with original HDD and no other alterations. Running through an official (3D compatible) HDMI cable straight into the TV (no external audio output source). I have all settings on auto but did try de-selecting dolby 5.1, same problem.

I should note that I have tried a separate component cable and STILL the same problem so surely it can't be the cable/s unless I'm really unlucky. I probably will try another HDMI though.

Also the TV is a 4 month old Sony Bravia with no other issues from any other source.

Hi kit-tiger,

Usually if you encounter any issue with the audio cutting out in HOME this can be rectified by deleting the cache (which can be done when in HOME itself). In regards to the audio with games there may be an issue here with the info on the HDD or the HDD itself, does this affect all games or a select few?

Rabid

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4 (3,775 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 1

Playstation Staff

RabidWalker wrote:

kit-tiger wrote:

Hi all,

Hi kit-tiger,

Usually if you encounter any issue with the audio cutting out in HOME this can be rectified by deleting the cache (which can be done when in HOME itself). In regards to the audio with games there may be an issue here with the info on the HDD or the HDD itself, does this affect all games or a select few?

Rabid

Thanks for your reply Rabid Walker,

I'll try the cache delete in Home anyway but yes it is effecting most of my games but not all. I have tried another HDMI cable also and the problem remains. I have arranged to return the ps3 for a replacement, they would not issue a refund if they have the same product in stock (Sainsburys) which I'm not sure about so I'm researching consumer rights law right now !

I'll keep you updated if I solve the problem before the ps3 goes back. Any help would be highly appreciated, I don't want to return it really (because of backing up data mainly) but if it is a HDD problem, can it be solved in anyway without replacing the drive ??? 

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4 (3,770 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 1

Playstation Staff

Thought I'd give a little update on this in case it's of any help to archive for future reference.

After trying all other options I could think of I accessed the safe mode on the ps3 and gave the options a try. The third option "Restore File System" in a way partially worked, I say partially because although the audio problem was resolved it didn't erase all corrupted data. There were 5 or 6 corrupted data files within the themes in theme setting. I erased them individually and the audio problem came back ! (I should note as well as the audio problem there was some graphical glitches and freezing occurring in games and a really sluggish XMB response).
Trying the third option in safe mode again didn't resolve it and nor the fourth. So I am now formatting/restoring the HDD and it is going back to the store for a replacement in case there is a hard drive fault. Believe it when it says it will take 18 hours (in my case at least) to restore the HDD because it really does (and I had around 200GB of free space !)

I should also note that I had a corrupted data file on my prevous ps3 which I transferred data over to the one I am using so I believe this is the source of all my grief (it occurred when I turned off a downloaded game install because it apparently froze).

To summarise then it seems once you have a corrupt data file of any sort on your ps3 the hard drive is DOOMED and your best bet is to either leave it alone completely (do not attempt to erase it) or back up your game save data and any thing else you want to keep and restore or replace your HDD.

I hope this helps someone in the future and Sony with further software/firmware/hardware updates ! 

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4 (3,753 Views)
0 Kudos