23 Jul 2011
By: thewlfmn36

2 Posts

data recovery!? after ps3 died, hard drive still good.

3 Replies 711 Views Created 23-07-2011

alright, so my ps3 did the rod and i was wondering if i didnt back up my data recently, if id be able to recover the game data and saves from the hard drive. my hard drive is good the ps3 is just done, i didnt know if they changed how the ps3 operates if you insert a different hard disk into a new ps3 and it automatically wants to format it? or if id possibly be able to put it in an enclosure and pug it into a new ps3 and pull the datat that way? ive been reading through the forums and havent come across anything helpfull, unless i missed something. any ideas, thoughts, pointers would be great. thanks in advance. 

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4 (711 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 13

Re: data recovery!? after ps3 died, hard drive still good.

Yeh if you put the HDD into a new PS3 it will need formatting so  you cant do it that way.

However making it an external HDD and transferring from there may work.

Follow fi8767 on Twitter
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4 (704 Views)
0 Kudos

I have the same issue.  I ordered a hard drive case and placed the old hard drive into the case and connected it to the new PS3 via a USB.  I went to the Data Transfer Utility and began the transfer from the old to the new.  I got a message saying I had to change the settings on the old PS3 to transfer the data.  Obviously, I cannot do this as the old PS3 is dead.  Does anyone know a way around this? 

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4 (680 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 8

Basically, in nutshell, you can't.
Sorry.

The ONLY way to get the data off the old HDD is to get the old PS3 working, put the old HDD in it, and either
a) copy save files to USB (note that copy protected saves can't be done this way), or
b) do a data transfer (ethernet cable method) on to the new PS3 (note, wipes new PS3 as part of the process, so take backups first if you need to).

more details in my YLOD thread, in my sig line below.

* YLOD? * *PSN Connection Problems?* *Blu Ray Problems

And we weren't even testing for that.. :Thumbs:

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4 (664 Views)
0 Kudos