30 Nov 2009

Playstation Staff

ps3 will not recognize any disc

15 Replies 7,895 Views Created 30-11-2009
watched a dvd and then connected to internet for the very first time. i was promted to download system update and did. after playing around online for a while i tried to watch a dvd. after putting disc in nothing happened, tried bluray disc and games still nothing. i have an 80gb and never had any problem before installing update. this seems like more than a coincidence. this is my first time on this site, and it seems like i am not the only one with this issue.
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 16 (7,895 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 8

Playstation Staff

Re: ps3 will not recognize any disc

indeed - there are several threads on the very same subject :smileysad:

it might be worth your while having a read of them, as they contain info which may help resolve your problem (although in most cases it does not, you might be lucky)

:Smile:

* YLOD? * *PSN Connection Problems?* *Blu Ray Problems

And we weren't even testing for that.. :Thumbs:

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 16 (7,882 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 1

Playstation Staff

today we did a test on my mate's ps3 to see and he takes no *****

WORKING LIKE A DREAM he was promted to download system update SO WE DID it is the same as my ps3 40g cechj02 done the update NOW IT WILL NOT READ A DISC LIKE MY PS3, next was the ps3 FLYING INTO THE WALL F()K ME coincidence don't think so.   

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 16 (7,874 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 8

Playstation Staff

STEVE_BAXR6T wrote:

today we did a test on my mate's ps3 to see and he takes no *****

WORKING LIKE A DREAM he was promted to download system update SO WE DID it is the same as my ps3 40g cechj02 done the update NOW IT WILL NOT READ A DISC LIKE MY PS3, next was the ps3 FLYING INTO THE WALL F()K ME coincidence don't think so.   

that was a brave move... :smileysad:

* YLOD? * *PSN Connection Problems?* *Blu Ray Problems

And we weren't even testing for that.. :Thumbs:

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 16 (7,869 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 1

Playstation Staff

Hopefully you were smart enough to document the test case and publish the results or deliver them to Sony.

It would be nice get a documented evidence of this issue. I have seen couple of videos on the youtube but it never hurts to have more...

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 16 (7,863 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 1

Playstation Staff

truckman79 wrote:
watched a dvd and then connected to internet for the very first time. i was promted to download system update and did. after playing around online for a while i tried to watch a dvd. after putting disc in nothing happened, tried bluray disc and games still nothing. i have an 80gb and never had any problem before installing update. this seems like more than a coincidence. this is my first time on this site, and it seems like i am not the only one with this issue.

Mate how old was ur system and what model code it has? 

Model codes r on back starting with C....jst inform here coz I am myself with a 80 gig n not updating the bloody thing coz of dis mess and Dont wanna lose my system.

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 16 (7,818 Views)
0 Kudos

Playstation Staff

My PS3 is hardly ever used and I logged on to the internet using it a few days ago and it now will not recognize any discs I insert, What do I do???? Is there a virus within Sony that is disabling all of our systems and if soo, has anyone contacted Sony to complain??? Waiting for an answer, thanks...

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 16 (7,657 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 5

Playstation Staff

Not tried restoring the file system and rebuilding the databases yet?

PS3 Recovery Menu

1. Place the PS3 in standby mode 
  2. Press and hold the power button for a couple of seconds, you should hear a beep
  3. Keep a hold of the power button for a couple more seconds, the PS3 should shut back down to standby mode
  4. Once this happens, press and hold the power button again for a couple of seconds, waiting for 1 single beep.
  5. Ignore this beep and keep it pressed until you hear 2 consecutive beeps, release the button.
I think you choose option 3 and then repeat and choose option 4.
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 16 (7,649 Views)
0 Kudos

Playstation Staff

Had same problem when completed update 3.15.  After system reboot would not read any disc.  Also could not use backup utility and received error 8001002A when tried to backup.  After restoring file system works great!!

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 16 (7,450 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 1

Playstation Staff

Don't know what has happened.  Last night playing BLOPS, map I was in crashed, host problems.  When the game is loading you get the swirly circle thing happening, and this seemed to "lock".  I could not close the game down using the handset so was left with no alternative but to switch off at mains power.

I got the usual message about not closing down properly, but when I logged in I noticed that the device was not showing the disc icon, I tried a number of other games and each time the same thing.

Any advice much appreciated.

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 16 (4,849 Views)
0 Kudos