By Rasmus-Anders

Rasmus-Anders

39%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post

"The router does not support ip fragments, the internet for some games may be limited"

37 Replies 2,341 Views Created 03-03-2010

Hey guys... i have a great problem... yesterday my brother decided to move the playstation from my room to his. but then when he turned on the ps3 the internet didn't work.. i have googled and tried everything but i cant find a solution, it says "The router does not support ip fragments, the internet for some games may be limited" when i try to connect. the internet works fine on our computers.

I have a netgear N router, 10mbit connection. i have NAT type 2 when it tests.

please feel free to write something if you have the same problem or a solution or just need more info. I dont want to buy a new router.

-Rasmus Hansen

0 Kudos
LABELS:
View our house rules for posts
Post Reply Update Reply Cancel
/16

TTDegs

93%
04 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
TTDegs
Accepted Solution
I'll do the last bit first, as I can answer that one! :)

NAT comes in 3 types:
NAT1 - you are connected directly to the internet - typically using an ethernet into a socket in the wall (provided by your ISP), or plugging directly into a modem.
NAT2 - connected to internet via a router, but with open ports (router allows traffic through as required)
NAT3 - connected to internet via a router, but some data is being blocked (typically by router firewall)

In order to play online with a PS3, NAT1 and 2 are equally as good as each other, but NAT3 isn't (and should be avoided / resolved)

Confusingly, NAT 1 and 2 are also referred to as 'open' or 'moderate' - and those terms apply to both NAT types.
Although usually (but far from always!) people mean NAT1 by 'open' and NAT2 by 'moderate'

'Strict' tends to refer to NAT3.

So you don't need to worry unless to goes to Strict - Open and Moderate are generally fine :)
(VERY occasionally 'moderate' may still block certain things that shouldn't be blocked - voice chat was a typical example from a few years ago. But this is pretty rare these days.)

As to the IP fragments - not sure I'm afraid :(

The only thing I can think of is that when you re-configure in Holland, it possibly increased the size of the MTU packets, to a size bigger than your China router / ISP likes :(
Or it may be that your Chinese ISP dropped the size of the MTU which it wants while you were away?

I'd suggest, possibly, decreasing the MTU.
In the PS3 network setup, choose manual, and skip through the screens until you get to MTU
it's probably set on 1500 or auto (auto seems to set the actual size to 1500).
Try dropping it to 1400, and keep going down until you stop getting the error message.
1000 is about the minimum to try before giving up on that as being the issue :)
0 Kudos

Re: "The router does not support ip fragments, the internet for some games may be limited"

* YLOD? * *PSN Connection Problems?* *Blu Ray Problems

And we weren't even testing for that.. :Thumbs:

/16

Tjeenk1

47%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Tjeenk1
Accepted Solution
Thanks,
I wrote down the NAT part because I thought if I would foward some ports it would solve all my issues, but reading your explanation I guess that won't change anything so I don't need to bother :).

Yesterday I already tried lowering down the MTU, i set it to 500-something which is the lowest possible in PS3 setting and this did not solve the issue.
I will mess around a little bit with the MTU again and see what happens...

Thanks,
0 Kudos

Re: "The router does not support ip fragments, the internet for some games may be limited"

/16

Tjeenk1

47%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Tjeenk1
Accepted Solution

So, yesterday I had the problem with IP fragments. Today I intended to follow your suggestion on the MTU settings.. but.... now I am having problems with the internet connection. Can browse the internet which works fine, can obtain an IP address but can not get an internet connection. And get the 80710092 error.

THere are many threads about this error, and followed all suggestions I could find. Disable Media Server, reconfigure internet (automatic), reboot modem, router and PS3, change the date and time in the system, change the cable and tried another port. Nothing works.

I am using wired connection, which used to work perfectly. I did not change my internet setup at home, so I don't know what is wrong. One day it works, the other day it doesn't work. And when it works, i have the IP fragment issue...

Any other suggestions?

0 Kudos

/16

TTDegs

93%
04 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
TTDegs
Accepted Solution
just to confirm - you can browse the 'net (on your PS3?)
0 Kudos

/16

Tjeenk1

47%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Tjeenk1
Accepted Solution
Yes I can browse the internet on the PS3.

I just finished port fowarding because i thought maybe this solves the problem. Before doing this I could browse the internet, and after doing this I can still browse the internet on my PS3. But problem not solved :(
0 Kudos

/16

TTDegs

93%
04 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
TTDegs
Accepted Solution
I'm getting a bit lost now Tjeenk1 :(

You can browse the internet, but not get an internet connection?
Do you mean PSN connection?

sorry :(
0 Kudos

/16

Tjeenk1

47%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Tjeenk1
Accepted Solution

Sorry haha :P

I have internet connection meaning: I can browse the internet, this morning i downloaded stuff for NOW TV crap and watch the previews online.. so this is working fine.

However, wHen running an internet connection test it succesfully obtains an IP address, failes to get an internet connection. 2 days ago this was also a problem, but solved it by rebooting everything, but when online i had the IP fragment issue (was able to play online). When leaving the game and running the connection test again it failed to get an internet connection, BUT could still browse the internet on PS3.  Another time whilst runnign the connection test, IP address and internet connection was succesful, but PSN failed. So it is clearly a problem with this part.

So, I tried:

Disable Media Server

Reboot modem, router, ps3

Change date ( did this using the "according  to internet" setting and worked ;) )

Changed ethernet cable and tried another port of my router

etc.

All the solutions that you can find about this i tried, but nothing works. I have modem -> my Belkin F5D8233-4v3 router -> wired PS3.

I noticed some new firmware for my router is available so will download this, but I doubt that solves the solution as I do have internet on my PS3. And can also try buying a different router, but unsure this solves the issue too.

So if you or anyone else have any other suggestions? :Help:

Thanks,

-- EDIT --

Maybe this will make things more easy to understand :) :

1) any error messages you are getting - "Connection to playstation network has timed out - 80710092"

2) when the problem happens - Trying to sign in and/or running the internet connection test

3) if you can actually sign in to PSN at all - NO

4) run the network connection test, and tell us where it fails - Internet Connecion Failed

5) who your ISP is - Think ChinaNet or China Telecom

6) what make and model your router is - Belkin F5D8233-4v3

7) how you connect your PS3 to the router -  wired, also tried wireless but same issue

8) if this is something which has never worked, or used to work - Used to work perfectly

9) what DNS servers you use (or tell us if you don't know what that means :smileyhappy:) - One provided by my ISP

10) if you have changed your MTU - YES

11) if your PS3 is in the router DMZ - No, tried to find out how to do this but no idea.. 

0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
/16

Tjeenk1

47%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Tjeenk1
Accepted Solution
TTDegs I read the following in one of your other threads:

Extra note - PS3s do NOT support the N or N+ wireless standard at time of writing (including and up to the 120Gb and 250Gb slims).

Buying an N or N+ wireless router may well speed up any other wireless devices you use (assuming they support it), but it won't help your PS3 wireless connection.

I do have an N router, you reckon this might be part of the problem? Still don't understand why at first everything did work though.
0 Kudos

/16

TTDegs

93%
04 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
TTDegs
Accepted Solution
Tjeenk1
whilst the PS3 doesn't support N or N+, MOST N and N+ routers do have backwards compatibility to 'g' - which is what the PS3 uses :)
How good they are at that backwards compatibility is another matter...
But ultimately isn't the issue here, as you are wired, so the N, N+ and g bits don't come into it, as they are wireless standards :)

Give the router firmware a go as the first step - it actually could make a big difference if the router itself is the cause of the problem.
And from your symptoms, I would say there is a good chance it is the router...

internet connections reporting as failed, when it patently can talk to the internet - something very screwy going on...

One more thing to check - before and after the firmware update.
When you do the PS3 network connection test, does it get as far as reporting the NAT type and UPnP status?
And if so, what does it say?
0 Kudos

/16

Tjeenk1

47%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Tjeenk1
Accepted Solution
Oke, I will give that a try when i get home.

At this moment the connection test does not get any further as testing the "internet connection".
When it was working, it reported NAT Type 2, and UPnP Enabled.

0 Kudos

/16

TTDegs

93%
04 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
TTDegs
Accepted Solution
LOL - when it was working, that was good! :D

anyho, hopefully we'll get it back to that :)
0 Kudos

/16

Tjeenk1

47%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Tjeenk1
Accepted Solution
Tried what you suggested but did not work either.

So i formatted the PS3, bought a new router (TP-Link) and set up everything as you suggested again. Gave me some problems as the router configuration is in Chinese, but hurray for the Chinese not translating DMZ :)

Anyway, it is still not working. I still get the 80710092 error, i AM able to browse the internet on PS3 so I can NOT login with my account. I noted that most of the threads on internet with error code 80710092 are about being kicked out of the network, but I don't even get in.

I am at the point where I want to throw my PS3 out of the window...

A weird thought of mine.... my PS3 is from HongKong, I live in China, any chance this all has to do something with PS3 tryng to connect to some server in HongKong to login?

Thanks for your help so far
0 Kudos

/16

Tjeenk1

47%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Tjeenk1
Accepted Solution
PS,

I thought i play some offline MW2, after formatting the PS3 i need to download the update data. Which I am able to do too... :S
0 Kudos

/16

Tjeenk1

47%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Tjeenk1
Accepted Solution
hurray! :D

thought i give it one last shot.. change my DNS to one of OpenDNS.com.

and it worked!

thanks for your efforts TT
0 Kudos

/16

TTDegs

93%
04 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
TTDegs
Accepted Solution
blimey - THAT was a weird one! :D

well chuffed you got it sorted though Tjeenk1 - nice one :)
0 Kudos

/16

TTDegs

93%
04 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
TTDegs
Accepted Solution
PS

when you've done the firmware thing (not before, as the firmware upgrade will probably wipe it anyway).

To put your PS3 into the DMZ:
On the PS3, run the network display settings option (top one)
jot down the MAC code

On the PC, go to 192.168.2.1 (in a browser window) to display your router setup page
enter the password (default is blank) - you may want to change that if you haven't already! :)
in one of the menus on the left you should find something that lets you assign an IP to a MAC address.
I think it will be in one of the following:
LAN Settings (unlikely)
DHCP Client List (possible)
MAC Address (unlikely, as this is PROBASBLY to change the MAC address of the router. If it is DON'T touch it! :))
MAC address control (possible, but this might just be a list of MACs that are allowed to connect via wireless - almost what we want, but not quite)
MAC address filtering (this is the most likely one)

what you are looking for is something that allows you to enter an IP and a corresponding MAC.
Use an IP that ends in somewhere around '99' (the first 3 boxes will probably be pre-filled with 192 168 2)

OK
Now choose the menu option 'DMZ'
type in the IP that you just used - eg 192.168.2.99

save and reboot :)

0 Kudos

/16

TTDegs

93%
04 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
TTDegs
Accepted Solution
PPS.

updating your router firewall is a good thing to do - but it will possibly wipe ALL of your router settings - potentially including the important stuff such as "my logon and password that allows me to connect to my ISP" - so make sure you know all of that before you do it! :)
Hopefully it will have been sent to you on a bit of paper when you first signed up.
0 Kudos

View our house rules for posts
Post Reply Update Reply Cancel