By mashy92

mashy92

88%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post

Is the official strategy guide worth buying?

[ Edited ]
23 Replies 1,524 Views edited 20-12-2011

My copy of Skyrim arrived last Wednesday and I've hardly taken a break from it. I think it's safe to say that despite the framerate issues I've experienced, I'm addicted to this amazing video game! I've just reached level 25 despite not doing a lot in the game. I've done about 4 or 5 main quest missions, 10 side missions and 60 odd misc objectives and a lot of exploring! For a couple of days now I've been tempted to buy the official strategy guide but I've been put off by the price. For the people who have it, what's the guide got that the internet does not offer? Basically what I'm asking is whether it's worth forking out the £18 for it? I'm gonna get my value for money with Skyrim by trying to complete absolutely everything. So is the guide worth investing in? Cheers in advance.

0 Kudos
LABELS:
View our house rules for posts
Post Reply Update Reply Cancel
/16

seany_boy2k8

94%
03 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
seany_boy2k8
Accepted Solution

thats alot of money for that imo you could always youtube or google certain parts of the game your curious about or even download a PDF copy of the guide

0 Kudos

Re: Is the official strategy guide worth buying?

PSN: seany_boy2k8
Xbox tag: Seany_Blitz
/16

metallicorphan

96%
03 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
metallicorphan
Accepted Solution

I buy a lot of strat guides,i have heard people who are usually adamant about buying guides buying this one and loving it

sure you could use the internet,but its more probable that you will miss something,you know that the game is very big and is crammed stuff with stuff to do

here is an idea for you about the guide

-656 pages

-Index at the back makes finding things much easier

-all main quests,companion quests,Dark Brotherhood quests,Mages and thieves guilds,side quests(which are separate to all the other quests that aren't main quests),Daedra quests,Dungeon Quests,Bards quests,Temple Quests,Greybeards quests,Blades quests,Civil War quests,Miscellaneous quests,favours,world interactions and encounters

-maps of all dungeons and Cities and holds,all primary locations and secondary locations described

then of course you have the usual weapons and gear guides,the enchanting and potion guide being pretty handy and the usual things guides have

but yeah,it has it all,biggest game i ahve played biggest guide i have owned

you also get a fold out map,if that kind of thing turns you on

so in short,yes,very worth it

0 Kudos

FF14:ARR-Mancunian Metal

/16

Devastator9

79%
05 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Devastator9
Accepted Solution

the strategy guide is totally worth it, i mean just for the shear fact of if your internet happens to not be working for a night or something it doesn't matter!! But the book definately gives lots of insight into the game, and there are spoilers marked so it won't ruin the game for you unless you chose to read on. Sometimes its descriptions confused me and thats when i did turn to youtube... but this was very infrequent. I can say with honesty that there are probably a fair few good things i would have missed if it wern't for the guide! The fold out map that comes with it is somewhat helpful as well when finding certain locations, so all in all its well worth buying (probably only the third guide book i have bought that has been worth it... the others being fable 3 and Deus ex (both books i still have despite not owning either game any more).

0 Kudos

/16
90%
03 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
o-BIG-o-BAD-WOLF
Accepted Solution
i was gonna get it last friday but was sold out everywhere so i download the pdf version and its exactly the same as the book version. 656 pages in pdf, only thing is that u get the nice map with all locations with the book version part from that they both exactly the same.
0 Kudos

/16

wildthyme

94%
04 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
wildthyme
Accepted Solution

i think a guide would be helpful but in some respects it would ruin the game and destroy the illusion and immersion in a fantasy world

0 Kudos

If you don't try you can't fail but then you can't win either.
/16

Devastator9

79%
05 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Devastator9
Accepted Solution

wildthyme wrote:

i think a guide would be helpful but in some respects it would ruin the game and destroy the illusion and immersion in a fantasy world

I can see the theory behind that comment, but it is totally dependent on the individual. For me it helped enhance my immersion in the world, as it helped me to find things that i would probably have missed (i have a tendancy to plough through main quests then forget the rest of the game, the guide helped me to aviid that by showing me other things i could do.).

0 Kudos

Award Winner
/16

rancidpunk

• Award Winner
98%
13 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
rancidpunk
Accepted Solution
I'd say the skyrim wiki would be a better bet. After a little time it will have more info than any strategy guide, plus pointers towards avoiding any bugs present in the game.
0 Kudos

My flickr
Down with nested replies, bring back quoting
/16
98%
03 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
MalevolentEntity
Accepted Solution

rancidpunk wrote:
I'd say the skyrim wiki would be a better bet. After a little time it will have more info than any strategy guide, plus pointers towards avoiding any bugs present in the game.

this, yeah the uesp skyrim.com, i use if i'm ever stuck.

but whats the point in buying guides, its just like your mummy holding your hand and walking you through the game.

go off and play it have fun isnt that what games are supposed to be about.

in my opinion when i spend 50 dabs on a game i want it to be a fun challenging experience, and exploring this type of open world, for me is part of the fun!

0 Kudos

/16

metallicorphan

96%
03 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
metallicorphan
Accepted Solution

MalevolentEntity wrote:

rancidpunk wrote:

this, yeah the uesp skyrim.com, i use if i'm ever stuck.

but whats the point in buying guides, its just like your mummy holding your hand and walking you through the game.

go off and play it have fun isnt that what games are supposed to be about.

in my opinion when i spend 50 dabs on a game i want it to be a fun challenging experience, and exploring this type of open world, for me is part of the fun!

thats a dumb comment...you are doing the exact thing i am doing,only you are going online when you get stuck and i am using the guide when i get stuck,yet the people who buy the guide you are happy to say they are having their mummy holding their hands and being walked through the game

not everyone buys the guide to have their hands held..its up to them to take what infomation they want from what is printed in the guide,just like its up to you to take what infomation you want from the walkthru's online

I buy guides for two reasons (i have 100+) 1)-a companion for the game i buy and 2)because it would be annoying if i had to go downstairs,turn on the computer and then look it up instead of just looking it up in the book on the arm of my chair

I hate people like you who are annoyed with other people on how they play the games that they buy,it doesn't matter if they use a guide,it doesn't matter if they put it on very easy,it doesn't matter if they put in cheats it just matters if they enjoy the game,let them play the game how they want,they paid for it

/16

metallicorphan

96%
03 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
metallicorphan
Accepted Solution

okay maybe 'Hate' is a too strong a word,but it still cheeses me off

another thought about the guide are the maps,not even sure the uesp has those,in some cases they are clearer then the ingame maps

0 Kudos

/16

Izorpo

96%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Izorpo
Accepted Solution

I got the guide with the game and the large pullout map is worth the guide alone (especially as there is a glitch with quest pointers disappearing

having said that I've bought the strat guides for Morrowind, Oblivion(Shimmering Isles also), Fallout3, Fallout NV and Skyrim - the guides for these games are incredibly valuable as they have so much stuff in the actual games you may never come across some characters (random events without the guide)

0 Kudos

/16

chris052

60%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
chris052
Accepted Solution

as stated above its well worth the extra cost.

I arent usually into these games but i got both in a bundle and alls i can say is i'm hooked.

the game alone is addictive bu with the addition of the guide i'm finding things and getting tips on things that i would never have found on my own as this game is immense!

I have the .pdf version somewhere if you want it but to be honest it isnt the same as reading the book.

0 Kudos

/16
98%
03 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
MalevolentEntity
Accepted Solution
oooh, someone is tetchy!!!!!
0 Kudos

/16

metallicorphan

96%
03 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
metallicorphan
Accepted Solution

yeah,you!!  if you are that bothered on how people play their own games

0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

/16
98%
03 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
MalevolentEntity
Accepted Solution
dude, I was expressing my opinion, I wasnt ranting like other posters, ( u) lighten up its xmas
0 Kudos

/16

metallicorphan

96%
03 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
metallicorphan
Accepted Solution

NO you lighten up!!!

Spoiler

:Stupid:

0 Kudos

/16
98%
03 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
MalevolentEntity
Accepted Solution

0 Kudos

/16
98%
03 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
MalevolentEntity
Accepted Solution
dude thats not very festive, and poor santa, he's just thinking on henry the brown nose reindeer!
0 Kudos

/16

majinmax72

92%
03 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
majinmax72
Accepted Solution
@metallicorphan Why are you so ***** off? If u can't play its your problem. Are you 12?
0 Kudos

Manish Max Naik
/16

metallicorphan

96%
03 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
metallicorphan
Accepted Solution

majinmax72 wrote:
@metallicorphan Why are you so ***** off? If u can't play its your problem. Are you 12?

I have absolutely no idea what you mean....if i can't play what?

0 Kudos

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
View our house rules for posts
Post Reply Update Reply Cancel