20 Apr 2008
Playstation Staff

Oblivion Gates question

8 Replies 1,241 Views Created 20-04-2008

I have suddenly started finding Oblivion gates all over the place. Especially around Leyawinn.

As far as I know, i've not seen any outside of the main quest before. Is this common? I have only closed the gate in the first main quest, the one in Kvatch. 

Can I ignore these for now? Because as soon as I go near them, the sky turns red. I would rather get some quests out of the way first.

Any advice?

PS - I'm only level 6. (just joined the Blades) 

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 9 (1,241 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

Playstation Staff

Re: Oblivion Gates question

Yeah, they pop up everywhere after you shut the first one, and its fine to ignore them, but i think sooner or later you will have to close them when you progress through the main quest. But if you want to go off and do other quests thats fine, thats what i've been doing, you can go back to the main quest whenever you like.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 9 (1,236 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 1

Playstation Staff

I used to closed every single one i came across, but that soon gets tedious as there are only a certain amount of landscapes that get generated when you step through.

One thing i have thought of doing is speed closing. Ignore all foe's just run through the gate level to the sigil stone. Someone else on here does that i think.

0 Kudos
Level 3

Playstation Staff

That's how I do it, except with invisibility.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 9 (1,204 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

Playstation Staff

I carried on with the main story mode through the cloud temple place, closed a few gates, defeated a big dragon thing and got the armour.

Now I find there are still a few gates knocking about, yet I cannot open or enter them.

Also, in my list of quests I have some that are open and refer to the gates, and how to close them, yet I cannot seem to do it now.

Is this a glitch somewhere?

Did I need to go and close all the gates before carrying on with the story?

Capital H, Number 0, Capital P, Number 5
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 9 (1,202 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

Playstation Staff

Thats a good question, does anyone know? I need to know this too.
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 9 (1,194 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 2

Playstation Staff

H0P5 wrote:

I carried on with the main story mode through the cloud temple place, closed a few gates, defeated a big dragon thing and got the armour.

Now I find there are still a few gates knocking about, yet I cannot open or enter them.

Also, in my list of quests I have some that are open and refer to the gates, and how to close them, yet I cannot seem to do it now.

Is this a glitch somewhere?

Did I need to go and close all the gates before carrying on with the story?

Any gates you encountered during the main quest remain as landmarks in the ground. Although they are not open they may still have a red mist around them - it's deliberate and not a glitch - just an environmental effect to show the danger that cyrodill faced.

As for the quest - what is the quest name that's still there. If it's allies for bruma then it probably means that you didn't close all the gates during that (optional) quest. This means you can't actually finish the quest because the gates are already closed and the allies are no longer needed, so the quest will stay on your 'to do' list.

This may not be the case, I'm just guessing on what might cause it. If it's a different mission then let me know because it might be for a different reason. 
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 9 (1,179 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 1

Playstation Staff

Also some of the gates you close not quest gates.  But the ones that are about can respawrn again after you close it i think?

100% Qcurian and Singstar rockz ^^
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 9 (1,167 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

Playstation Staff

No Oblivion gates respawn, once it's closed it's shut for good. The system works that as you progress through the main questline it increases the chance of an Oblivion gate appearing in a set location and it also increases the number that can be open. The most that can ever be open is 99 gates, and once closed they will remain as part of that 99 so in a single game you will not see all possible gate locations.
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 9 (1,137 Views)
0 Kudos