02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post

Should I Even Bother with Skyrim Now?

21 Replies 943 Views Created 09-01-2012

Hi All,

I received Skyrim as Christmas present and haven't really started playing it yet. Like many here, i was very disappointed by all the news about glitches in the PS3 version of the game making it possibly unplayable. This sounds serious. I mean a bad port is one thing, a crippling glitch is another. Another thing i've noticed is the lack of critical reviews for the PS3 version from sites like gamerankings. It has got to be pretty bad for it to have even received reviews. 

The whole thing seems quite ridiculous to me, and I won't be the only one who've said that i probably won't buy another Bethesda game, at least not for the PS3. My question is should i even bother spending hours, perhaps tens of hours on the game? And no i don't have another platform on which to play the game (it bothers me that this even solution to the problem!).  

Dar

0 Kudos
LABELS:
View our house rules for posts
Post Reply Update Reply Cancel
/16

ElYiT

76%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
ElYiT
Accepted Solution

please don't let the bad glitches put you off what is probably the best game of 2011, I'm not saying the glitches don't exist, because they do, theres hundreds of bugs (not to mention the freezing)

my copy locked up on me at least 5 times the other day and i had to rage quit, but i was straight back on it the very next day and couldnt wait to carry on with it

look at it like this, when a medicore game is full of glitches then yeah, understandably you would probably want your money back, but surely its the mark of a great game when you can look past all the bugs and glitches and still enjoy the experience

besides all my above points the severe lock ups only occur when your save file gets to around 12MB which is roughly 200hrs of play

just, whatever you do, give it a chance, you'll love it, im certain 

0 Kudos

Re: Should I Even Bother with Skyrim Now?

/16
98%
03 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
MalevolentEntity
Accepted Solution
I agree with this. ^ for its benifits, greatly out weigh its flaws, packed with epic moments, beautiful scenery, humour, and some seat of your undies battles. definatly worth a play through.
0 Kudos

Beta Tester
/16

ytevo79

• Beta Tester
99%
10 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
ytevo79
Accepted Solution

Give it a try, you have nothing to lose and the issues effect people differently so you might, like me, get to level 43 (134 hours playtime) and only experience a few hard resets. I did have one game save corrupt but that is because it froze while auto saving which needs to be turned off as that improves stability anyway. Just remember to save often tho!!!

You shouldn't have any problems until the higher levels anyway when your save file gets to a certain size. Mine is 11MB now and I started experience issues at around 8000KB (70/80+ hours playtime). I was playing the game how I fancied and just exploring but since I started noticing more problems I'm plaing the main quests and trophy related quests only now. Then I can always do the misc/side quests at a later date when they have released a patch. Which is in the works might I add.

Like I say every console seem to e different with some being worse then others. It was the same with Fallout 3/NV.

Its still my GOTY for 2011 despite its flaws. The game world is breathtaking, the atmosphere is amazing and its just such an awesome experience if you can push aside a few hard resets now and again.

I pushed through Fallout 3 and got the platinum. Spent about 280 hours on it.

I pushed through Fallout NV and got the platinum.

I'm sure to god not stopping there ;)

0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
/16

claremac90

89%
04 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
claremac90
Accepted Solution

Yes you should definitely play this game even with all the bugs its still a fantastic game . I started to get the jerking and stuttering gameplay at about the 50 hours mark but fixed it by turning off all the automatic save points , it plays fine now 

0 Kudos

/16

Devastator9

79%
05 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Devastator9
Accepted Solution

definately go for it, i am at over 100 hours played and have collected all but 4 trophies (5 including the platinum), and whilst i know already i will have to restart for 2 of them, i don't mind that, because i have had (and i am continuing to have) a lot of fun with the game.

(for those interested to know, the trophies i need are:

1)Golden touch: have 100000 gold

2)master:reach level 50

^^ these 2 can be done on my first playthrough

3)one with the shadows, returned the thieves guild to its former glory

^^ accidently sold the armour neccessary to complete this quest, so this will be done on my second playthrough

4) oblivion walker collect 15 daedric aftifacts

^^ this is the only trophy where glitches caught me out.. a couple of the quests did not start as they were suppossed to.)

0 Kudos

/16

kimmyjimmy69

40%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
kimmyjimmy69
Accepted Solution

Oh my god yes! It's amazing,even with the glitches. I've notched up over 200 hours so far and I love it!

0 Kudos

Beta Tester
/16

utio

• Beta Tester
100%
16 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
utio
Accepted Solution

I'm gonna go against the flow here and say no. I bought it day of release, kept freezing, stopped playing. Yesterday I decided to play it again, i mean they must have fixed the problems right? Wrong. They clearly don't care, so why bother with their product?

0 Kudos

/16
34%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
seraphim_falconu
Accepted Solution

They clearly do care. Look at the world and all the detail. They worked their tails off on this game and are continuing to improve it 8 months after release.

No developer is ever going to get rid of all the issues for every user in any game, and people whose Skyrim game is unplayable on the PS3 are an ever-decreasing minority. 

Yes, dust off Skyrim and play it into the ground. A continous stream of tweaks, additions and fixes via patching have rendered it quite unlikely that your massive-open-world-sandbox-roleplaying experience will be cut short by a bug. As always, keep a few save files.

0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
Beta Tester
/16

utio

• Beta Tester
100%
16 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
utio
Accepted Solution

They clearly do not care. If they cared they would have fixed the huge problems by now. Like the fact I crash every time, EVERY time I go into water.

On second thoughts, maybe they do care, but they're crap devs and have no idea what they're doing.

0 Kudos

MVP
/16

mont348

• MVP
97%
12 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
mont348
Accepted Solution

utio wrote:

They clearly do not care. If they cared they would have fixed the huge problems by now. Like the fact I crash every time, EVERY time I go into water.

On second thoughts, maybe they do care, but they're crap devs and have no idea what they're doing.

The water crash is easily fixed with a patch and game data delete and reinstall. 

http://community.eu.playstation.com/t5/Technical-Help/Skyrim-2-04-update-console-freezes-when-I-ente...

Beta Tester
/16

utio

• Beta Tester
100%
16 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
utio
Accepted Solution

thanks.

0 Kudos

/16

STEDIN

39%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
STEDIN
Accepted Solution

i think it is the best game ever and the only thing that could make it better if u could play with ur friends

0 Kudos

/16
75%
05 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
HoodedSolidSnake
Accepted Solution

STEDIN wrote:

i think it is the best game ever and the only thing that could make it better if u could play with ur friends

Yeah, you're right. But Elder Scrolls games concentrate on a fantastic Single Player, and also, Bethesda are lazy, and Multiplayer (Splitscreen/Online) would lead to much, much more searching for bugs etc.

0 Kudos

Formerly realsince1999.

/16

DiamondRabbit

99%
04 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
DiamondRabbit
Accepted Solution

You should definitely play it, most of the problems have been fixed by now. This was the first game that I played and managed to have real conversations about. A small group of my friends would play Skyrim in the afternoon, and the next day talk for hours about what happened during our adventures. So I guess you'll be missing out on the conversation, but the gameplay is solid.

0 Kudos

/16

SteCFC1

88%
03 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
SteCFC1
Accepted Solution

Definitely play it, don't let the glitches and crashes put you off, I know when I was playing through it I didn't have many problems, and if I did I'd just turn the system off and on again just to be able to play it. 

My friend has just recently bought it and started playing it, and watching him made me want to create a new character and start a new game on it.

The quality of the game definitely outweighs the bugs

0 Kudos

/16

Pin-Pin-Ire

96%
07 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Pin-Pin-Ire
Accepted Solution
I have clocked over 108 hours on the PC version so I would recommend playing it. Bethesda games are notorious for being buggy on the PS3 though. If you can I would recommend playing it on a PC, but the console version should be satisfactory as long as your save file doesn't get too large.
0 Kudos

/16

Lord_Gremlin

92%
07 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Lord_Gremlin
Accepted Solution
So, right now with latest updates can it still lock your system completely? Cause that's the only thing I don't tolerate at all.
0 Kudos

/16

paddybee

73%
05 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
paddybee
Accepted Solution
it can happen, hasn't happened to me since the updates, so I would say go for it, you'll end up missing out on a great game if you don't get it
0 Kudos

/16
75%
05 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
HoodedSolidSnake
Accepted Solution

It's patched/updated long ago. Although, for me it freezes as it Auto-Saves, then once it has Saved it unfreezes... Am I the only person who gets this?

0 Kudos

Formerly realsince1999.

/16

thewoe

95%
04 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
thewoe
Accepted Solution
Nah it does that for me too when it autosaves, so i turned auto save off and deleted all my Auto game saves, i save manually now before i turn it off, i havent crashed once with skyrim yet, but i do get some very choppy frame rate since heading into my 40th hour of gameplay. Still an awesome game though, just a shame i sold my xbox, would have bought it on that.
0 Kudos

View our house rules for posts
Post Reply Update Reply Cancel