09 Jan 2012
Playstation Staff

Should I Even Bother with Skyrim Now?

21 Replies 905 Views Created 09-01-2012

Hi All,

I received Skyrim as Christmas present and haven't really started playing it yet. Like many here, i was very disappointed by all the news about glitches in the PS3 version of the game making it possibly unplayable. This sounds serious. I mean a bad port is one thing, a crippling glitch is another. Another thing i've noticed is the lack of critical reviews for the PS3 version from sites like gamerankings. It has got to be pretty bad for it to have even received reviews. 

The whole thing seems quite ridiculous to me, and I won't be the only one who've said that i probably won't buy another Bethesda game, at least not for the PS3. My question is should i even bother spending hours, perhaps tens of hours on the game? And no i don't have another platform on which to play the game (it bothers me that this even solution to the problem!).  

Dar

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 22 (905 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 1

Playstation Staff

Re: Should I Even Bother with Skyrim Now?

please don't let the bad glitches put you off what is probably the best game of 2011, I'm not saying the glitches don't exist, because they do, theres hundreds of bugs (not to mention the freezing)

my copy locked up on me at least 5 times the other day and i had to rage quit, but i was straight back on it the very next day and couldnt wait to carry on with it

look at it like this, when a medicore game is full of glitches then yeah, understandably you would probably want your money back, but surely its the mark of a great game when you can look past all the bugs and glitches and still enjoy the experience

besides all my above points the severe lock ups only occur when your save file gets to around 12MB which is roughly 200hrs of play

just, whatever you do, give it a chance, you'll love it, im certain 

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 22 (894 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

Playstation Staff

I agree with this. ^ for its benifits, greatly out weigh its flaws, packed with epic moments, beautiful scenery, humour, and some seat of your undies battles. definatly worth a play through.
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 22 (889 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 9

Playstation Staff

[ Edited ]

Give it a try, you have nothing to lose and the issues effect people differently so you might, like me, get to level 43 (134 hours playtime) and only experience a few hard resets. I did have one game save corrupt but that is because it froze while auto saving which needs to be turned off as that improves stability anyway. Just remember to save often tho!!!

You shouldn't have any problems until the higher levels anyway when your save file gets to a certain size. Mine is 11MB now and I started experience issues at around 8000KB (70/80+ hours playtime). I was playing the game how I fancied and just exploring but since I started noticing more problems I'm plaing the main quests and trophy related quests only now. Then I can always do the misc/side quests at a later date when they have released a patch. Which is in the works might I add.

Like I say every console seem to e different with some being worse then others. It was the same with Fallout 3/NV.

Its still my GOTY for 2011 despite its flaws. The game world is breathtaking, the atmosphere is amazing and its just such an awesome experience if you can push aside a few hard resets now and again.

I pushed through Fallout 3 and got the platinum. Spent about 280 hours on it.

I pushed through Fallout NV and got the platinum.

I'm sure to god not stopping there :smileywink:

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 22 (868 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 5

Playstation Staff

Yes you should definitely play this game even with all the bugs its still a fantastic game . I started to get the jerking and stuttering gameplay at about the 50 hours mark but fixed it by turning off all the automatic save points , it plays fine now 

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 22 (779 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

Playstation Staff

definately go for it, i am at over 100 hours played and have collected all but 4 trophies (5 including the platinum), and whilst i know already i will have to restart for 2 of them, i don't mind that, because i have had (and i am continuing to have) a lot of fun with the game.

(for those interested to know, the trophies i need are:

1)Golden touch: have 100000 gold

2)master:reach level 50

^^ these 2 can be done on my first playthrough

3)one with the shadows, returned the thieves guild to its former glory

^^ accidently sold the armour neccessary to complete this quest, so this will be done on my second playthrough

4) oblivion walker collect 15 daedric aftifacts

^^ this is the only trophy where glitches caught me out.. a couple of the quests did not start as they were suppossed to.)

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 22 (766 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 1

Playstation Staff

Oh my god yes! It's amazing,even with the glitches. I've notched up over 200 hours so far and I love it!

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 22 (654 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 5

Playstation Staff

I'm gonna go against the flow here and say no. I bought it day of release, kept freezing, stopped playing. Yesterday I decided to play it again, i mean they must have fixed the problems right? Wrong. They clearly don't care, so why bother with their product?

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 22 (578 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 1

Playstation Staff

[ Edited ]

They clearly do care. Look at the world and all the detail. They worked their tails off on this game and are continuing to improve it 8 months after release.

No developer is ever going to get rid of all the issues for every user in any game, and people whose Skyrim game is unplayable on the PS3 are an ever-decreasing minority. 

Yes, dust off Skyrim and play it into the ground. A continous stream of tweaks, additions and fixes via patching have rendered it quite unlikely that your massive-open-world-sandbox-roleplaying experience will be cut short by a bug. As always, keep a few save files.

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 22 (549 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 5

Playstation Staff

They clearly do not care. If they cared they would have fixed the huge problems by now. Like the fact I crash every time, EVERY time I go into water.

On second thoughts, maybe they do care, but they're crap devs and have no idea what they're doing.

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 22 (537 Views)
0 Kudos