96%
07 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post

Skyrim Tips thread

50 Replies 1,200 Views Created 10-11-2011

So I have been playing Skyrim for a few hours and I think there are a few tips, that those who have played skyrim should pass on.

If you reach Winterhold, don't jump out the window beside the college doors. The ledge is attached to the college but the only way down is to fall a few hundred feet into a shallow river :(

Pay attention and make sure you are following the right road. I thought I was following the main road but it was a dirt track leading to a cliff edge :D

When picking up loot, check the weight/price ratio.

Don't neglect magic. Before I got the game, I noticed most the videos on the internet were from people relying just on the sword and shield. The spells you get at the start are quite good at taking down bears and wolves.

If you kill some bandits, make sure no one sees you stealing their horse. Logically the horse should be yours now but the game doesn't think so.

LABELS:
View our house rules for posts
Post Reply Update Reply Cancel
/16

metallicorphan

96%
03 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
metallicorphan
Accepted Solution

they will come down,infact they get a rather predictable routine

I have heal in one hand and sword in another

they will fly around,fire at you,you should heal and then they fly round and they will land near you,go in and attack make sure you keep healing,they fly away and repeat,each Dragon fight for me takes about 5 minutes at max

they have done this for all 10 or Dragons i have killed,and it/they have become rather easy

i just wish that Bears,Tigers and Trolls were as Easy

make sure you are out in the open when fighting the Dragon and it will come down  and land to attack

0 Kudos

Re: Skyrim Tips thread

FF14:ARR-Mancunian Metal

Award Winner
/16

Spotter5

• Award Winner
96%
11 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Spotter5
Accepted Solution
thanks for the tips!

the dragon i saw was just flying around.. I was in a light wood though so maybe it couldn't land. Hope I see one soon! only killed the one in the main quest so far.
0 Kudos

Photobucket
/16

metallicorphan

96%
03 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
metallicorphan
Accepted Solution

I upgraded a sword i had yesterday with a steel ingot and on the grindstone in towns,gave my sword an extra 10 or so points,so that couldn't hurt to do either

0 Kudos

/16

CookieMcCrumble

90%
03 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
CookieMcCrumble
Accepted Solution

Got a couple of decent lists being built at TGR for Alchemy, Smithing, Cooking and more. 

If you fancy checking it out the lists are here: http://www.tgrealm.com/the-elder-scrolls-v-skyrim/#c3

Still lots of work to be done, and we welcome any input. Obviously there's also the UESP Wiki, where you can find lots of info, we just wanted to create a nice independent bunch of guides we could be proud of ourselves :)

0 Kudos

@CookieMcCrumble on Twitter
/16

KAngermann

80%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
KAngermann
Accepted Solution

Don't turn into a vampire. Everyone hates you and tries to kill you.

0 Kudos

Beta Tester
/16

ytevo79

• Beta Tester
99%
10 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
ytevo79
Accepted Solution

An important tip that gets hugely overlooked especially by noobies to this sort of game;

***SAVE OFTEN***

Dont be bored to read books. Some of them are skill books and increase your skills. Going to backtrack to a few I missed last night as I was tired and couldn't be bothered to read :( Saying that I don't think they were skills of some sort anyway.

0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
/16

JaySuthEFC

88%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
JaySuthEFC
Accepted Solution
Any tips for raising some quick gold?
0 Kudos

/16

metallicorphan

96%
03 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
metallicorphan
Accepted Solution

take your gold up the 'Throat of the World' mountain....that should be raised enough

Seriously though i have just been picking up everything and anything and selling it when needing money(which after i got my hosue and done it up,isn't often)

I heard making and selling potions is a quick way of making good money

I also heard the guy in the Thieves guild has 5000 on him,so he would be the ideal place to sell to

0 Kudos

/16

seany_boy2k8

94%
03 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
seany_boy2k8
Accepted Solution

ytevo79 wrote:

An important tip that gets hugely overlooked especially by noobies to this sort of game;

***SAVE OFTEN***

Dont be bored to read books. Some of them are skill books and increase your skills. Going to backtrack to a few I missed last night as I was tired and couldn't be bothered to read :( Saying that I don't think they were skills of some sort anyway.

you dont have to actually read the whole book just press X and if its for increasing a certain skill it will do automaticly just press back and leave it

0 Kudos

PSN: seany_boy2k8
Xbox tag: Seany_Blitz
/16

rollandrat

72%
09 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
rollandrat
Accepted Solution
Read the legend of red eagle, it's a good quest.
0 Kudos

k photo kz2.png
/16

Richteabiscuit

98%
04 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Richteabiscuit
Accepted Solution

Easy ways to increase your smithing are when you go through a dungeon, pick up all the armour of bandits, like the hide and leather etc, then go to the work bench and upgrade them all, your smithing will go up in no time. You'll need leather and leather strips so just always take pelts when you kill a wolf then go to the tanning rack thing.

Alternatively, I find mining iron ore then making it into iron ingots/buying them, and then making ***** loads of iron daggers gets my smithing up loads. 

Doing this gets your overall level up alot faster and you can make much better armour than you'll be finding at earlier levels and you can improve on your weapons, getting smithing to level 60 means you can upgrade enchanted weapons and armour which is very useful!

0 Kudos

Photobucket
Award Winner
/16

Spotter5

• Award Winner
96%
11 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Spotter5
Accepted Solution

Richteabiscuit wrote:

Easy ways to increase your smithing are when you go through a dungeon, pick up all the armour of bandits, like the hide and leather etc, then go to the work bench and upgrade them all, your smithing will go up in no time. You'll need leather and leather strips so just always take pelts when you kill a wolf then go to the tanning rack thing.

Alternatively, I find mining iron ore then making it into iron ingots/buying them, and then making ***** loads of iron daggers gets my smithing up loads. 

Doing this gets your overall level up alot faster and you can make much better armour than you'll be finding at earlier levels and you can improve on your weapons, getting smithing to level 60 means you can upgrade enchanted weapons and armour which is very useful!

where do you go to mine stuff? I went into the mine thats near riverwood but thats just full of bandits.

0 Kudos

Photobucket
Beta Tester
/16

ytevo79

• Beta Tester
99%
10 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
ytevo79
Accepted Solution

Spotter5 wrote:

Richteabiscuit wrote:

where do you go to mine stuff? I went into the mine thats near riverwood but thats just full of bandits.

There are ore locations dotted around in various mines and locations, just carry a pick axe with you ;)

0 Kudos

Award Winner
/16

Spotter5

• Award Winner
96%
11 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Spotter5
Accepted Solution
oh right! : D
0 Kudos

Photobucket
Beta Tester
/16

ytevo79

• Beta Tester
99%
10 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
ytevo79
Accepted Solution

seany_boy2k8 wrote:

ytevo79 wrote:

***SAVE OFTEN***

you dont have to actually read the whole book just press X and if its for increasing a certain skill it will do automaticly just press back and leave it

Yes I know that, but you still have to pick it up and ''read'' it (by pressing X). You cant just stare at it.

0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
/16

seany_boy2k8

94%
03 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
seany_boy2k8
Accepted Solution

ytevo79 wrote:

seany_boy2k8 wrote:

ytevo79 wrote:

***SAVE OFTEN***

Yes I know that, but you still have to pick it up and ''read'' it (by pressing X). You cant just stare at it.

yea u have to press read but you dont have to read thats my point lol no excuse not to be bothered :P

0 Kudos

PSN: seany_boy2k8
Xbox tag: Seany_Blitz
Beta Tester
/16

ytevo79

• Beta Tester
99%
10 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
ytevo79
Accepted Solution

seany_boy2k8 wrote:

ytevo79 wrote:

seany_boy2k8 wrote:

ytevo79 wrote:

***SAVE OFTEN***

yea u have to press read but you dont have to read thats my point lol no excuse not to be bothered :P

But most of the books that aren't skill books offer background history, or stories but I get bored of reading them. With skill books as soon as the page opens it upgrades your stats and you can put it back down straight away. I was referring to all the books I pick up (as you don't know what is skill and what isn't) and that fact that I was tired at the time.

0 Kudos

Award Winner
/16

rancidpunk

• Award Winner
99%
13 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
rancidpunk
Accepted Solution

metallicorphan wrote:

when Sam in Whiterun Inn asks you for a drinking competition make sure you are not about to finish playing for the night :xLol:

Although the, eventual, reward for the night of drunkedness is more than worth it! It's got me out of a few tricky situations.

Another tip:

If you have a companion, who uses a bow, give them just one of your best type of arrow. Not only will they use that type all the time, with no need of extra arrows, but you can also pick them up from slain bodies and increase your own arrow count.

0 Kudos

My flickr
Down with nested replies, bring back quoting
/16

schisophrenic

98%
03 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
schisophrenic
Accepted Solution
Take a shower and have a decent meal before playing Skyrim, as you may end up hungry and smelly in the morning.
0 Kudos

Award Winner
/16

Kermit1970

• Award Winner
100%
16 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Kermit1970
Accepted Solution

Easy way to beat Red Eagle

Spoiler

Have a couple of weapons which do at least 20 damage ready to go

Also have a scroll called 'Bane of the Undead'

Run into the room where he is. Get as close to him as possible whilst casting 'Bane of the undead'

This has the added effect of torching the skeletons as well.

He'll now start running away from you whilst on fire, just follow him as fast as you can and hack at him with your weapons (which you equip immediately after casting the spell).

He won't attack until 30 seconds is up, and by that time you've either killed him or whittled down his health so much that one or two more hits will kill him.

0 Kudos

/16

norman29

88%
03 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
norman29
Accepted Solution
Spoiler
My tip of the day, and quite stupid on my part so want to share it, after the final main quest battle dont decided that you want to see what would happen if you shoot an arrow at one of the dragons :P you'll get what i mean when you get to this bit and do a full 360 look around :D

0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
View our house rules for posts
Post Reply Update Reply Cancel