84%
03 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post

Dynamic Theme Creator Software

17 Replies 4,789 Views Created 08-08-2010

Hi i was just wondering like everyone else, would sony release the Dynamic Theme Creator they use to make themes?

0 Kudos
LABELS:
Regards,
KILLER_KID
View our house rules for posts
Post Reply Update Reply Cancel
Beta Tester
/16

Lythinari

• Beta Tester
96%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Lythinari
Accepted Solution

yea, that'd be nice.

Ever tried using animated gifs?

0 Kudos

Re: Dynamic Theme Creator Software

O|¯|_ orz
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)
/16

Arathane

97%
04 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Arathane
Accepted Solution

:Lol: yeah ive tried animated gifs but if i remember correctly, it didnt work :( I dont think they would release whatever they use for the dynamic themes as i think it might be a bit difficult for the average person to make them, it would have to involve a knowledge of PS3 scripting, etc. Having said that, it would be great if they did and i would definately give it a good go ;)

0 Kudos

Beta Tester
/16

King_Nothing6

• Beta Tester
90%
05 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
King_Nothing6
Accepted Solution
id say simply if they released a dynamic theme creator they would loose alot of money, because no one will pay for them on the store
0 Kudos

/16

Luis_Sypher

60%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Luis_Sypher
Accepted Solution

King_Nothing6 wrote:
id say simply if they released a dynamic theme creator they would loose alot of money, because no one will pay for them on the store

I don't pay for things like this anyway so some basic dynamic theme creator would be good to me.  Just something that could change static images would be good, make a giant gif type file .

0 Kudos

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
No I don't have no xbox, wii or other console, so every game is a PS3 exclusive as far as I'm concerned.
Beta Tester
/16

Timesplitter_01

• Beta Tester
78%
04 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Timesplitter_01
Accepted Solution

According to Sony and various Developers creating Dynamic Themes is a lot more complex than the standard themes. I remember a article saying that it takes about 2 weeks to create a Dynamic Theme by the developers (eg heavy rain, etc).

0 Kudos

Fix R18+ Ratings
/16

Mr__Oz

88%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Mr__Oz
Accepted Solution

I like complex!!

0 Kudos

/16

micksith

84%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
micksith
Accepted Solution

They'll never release it publicly  - The community would create themes 10 times better than the ones they try sell us,  as with static themes.

0 Kudos

Montage Mik - PS3-Theme.com
"The man in the Hood plunges Blade into spine ......Look over your shoulder ,Cause you're Next in line ! "
/16

Kerber

56%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Kerber
Accepted Solution

With normal themes your essentially just replacing images. Dynamic themes require 3D models, scripting, animations, and more.
You're essentially creating a in-game cutscene, because of this complexity there are too many things that can break.
In a normal theme it's very 1,0.
Replace image..... yes
find new image.... yes
done.

Once you start messing around with a 3D scene, there's more things to check for. I agree the community would be able to think of some awesome ideas, it's turning those ideas into a theme that gets complicated :)

0 Kudos

Dynamic Themes

/16

smokeypsd

92%
05 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
smokeypsd
Accepted Solution
it's not so much about dynamic theme creators being available, it's about custom dynamic themes being allowed in the first place... The community usually takes care of the tools themselves eventually.

Yeah they would be more difficult and time consuming but there's people out there who would relish the chance to try their 3d skills on doing just this. For some it's practicing skills they're studying and intend on using when they move on to jobs. It's just another front where Sony has been more closed off than they should be.
0 Kudos

Re: Dynamic Themes

/16

Kerber

56%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Kerber
Accepted Solution

I've seen some fantastic themes made by the community and some even better than the ones for sale.
I have no doubt that a few interested people would love to work on a dynamic theme, and would produce an amazing result.
As before a dynamic theme doesn't just replace an existing image, you are essentially putting together a in-game cutscene. Like any video game there are bugs that can make it crash, because your dealing with the XMB a crash can mean the system is bricked. So like any other game title any theme file created would need to go through quality assurance to make sure your don't damage anyone else's system.

Now for the interesting part. The chances for those people who do study or know 3D to put their skills to use are there. Some themes available on the store, both normal and dynamic have been created by students and enthusiasts alike. Much like the garage developers working on iPhone apps, Sony is very keen to help people with an interest to develop and release things on their store. They have all contacted the relevant SCE and been signed up as a developer.

Pixel Junk started like this and is now one of the leading developers for PS3, they are even responsible for the default XMB dynamic theme.
If anyone is interested in learning more check out the companies who have released themes on the PSN, contact the staff on the blog, ask if they can offer any help.

0 Kudos

Theme tools

/16

blaqphantom

92%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
blaqphantom
Accepted Solution
id love either the KZ3 theme that came with the CE to come to the psn or someone to make a good KZ3 dynamic theme.
0 Kudos

Re: Theme tools

/16

Arathane

97%
04 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Arathane
Accepted Solution

There is currently no way for "average joes" like us to make dynamic themes.

0 Kudos

/16

M1557

80%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
M1557
Accepted Solution

A way for "Average Joes" like us to make dynamic themes:

Custom Dynamic Themes

The only ones i have seen so far have the same fog / smoke pattern, and a spinning image in the same spot on each theme.

Im sure they will get better with time though.

0 Kudos

/16

Arathane

97%
04 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Arathane
Accepted Solution

Hey thanks for that link. The Dynamic Theme Editor basically lets you change items in an existing Dynamic theme, still pretty cool though, made one using the Heavy Rain Dynamic Theme and added the BTG clan logo into the background, looks great ;)

0 Kudos

/16

Arathane

97%
04 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Arathane
Accepted Solution

Here are  few Dynamic Themes i have knocked up using the Dynamic Theme Creator software. Im still fiddling with it at the moment so no doubt they will only get better ;)

BTG 'Heavy Rain Theme'

Thumpad Theme

Death Skull Army Theme

CLANZ Theme

0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
/16

M1557

80%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
M1557
Accepted Solution

Nice work dude.

I only sussed out the last 2 but they look great.

Let me know if your keen for a request.

0 Kudos

/16
21%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
EliteSoldier_001
Accepted Solution

http://www.ps3-themes.com/

there you go a theme creator and themes made by community so you dont need to buy from sony...

0 Kudos

View our house rules for posts
Post Reply Update Reply Cancel