Commandofin

90%
03 Rank
Progress

Twisted Metal

27 Replies 589 Views Created 01-02-2012
01 Feb 2012
By Commandofin

My first impressions weren't good because the controls suck really bad. I couldn't finish my first game because the controls were unbelievable mess. It might be a good game but the controls are really bad so I can't play this game. How hard it would be to make this kind of key mapping R2 = gas, L2 = reverse, L1 = Turbo, R1 = Fire, [] = Weapon switch, X = Jump/(Hold to strafe, like in CTR), /\ = sec weapon switch, O = handbrake. I switched from  [] = gas to R2 = gas but the weapon firing switched also. WTEFF?

Please make more control options, these current ones suck really bad.

0 Kudos
LABELS:
View our house rules for posts
Post Reply Update Reply Cancel

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

born2destroy

95%
07 Rank
Progress
born2destroy
Accepted Solution
Im guessing you have never played twisted metal before? Dont forget its not just about the driving but the destruction, once you get used to the controls they are fine its just learning them. As for you i suggest the rac controls R2- Gas, L2- Reverse, L1- Tight Turn, R1- Brake then the various other buttons. Anyways keep practicing and it will be fine. Im getting more frustrated trying to find a game with these stupid match making issues
0 Kudos

Re: Twisted Metal

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Beta Tester
/16

ytevo79

• Beta Tester
99%
10 Rank
Progress
ytevo79
Accepted Solution
They aren't the average gamers best friends and I can see many others turning it straight off and not giving it a chance. I cant remember the original games being this 'fiddly' tho

But give it half an hour and you start to get the feel for it. As for the full game, maybe it will have more customisation options? Maybe that's why the ''demo'' mysteriously became a ''beta'' so Jaffe can take on board more feed back?
0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

born2destroy

95%
07 Rank
Progress
born2destroy
Accepted Solution

ytevo79 wrote:
They aren't the average gamers best friends and I can see many others turning it straight off and not giving it a chance. I cant remember the original games being this 'fiddly' tho

But give it half an hour and you start to get the feel for it. As for the full game, maybe it will have more customisation options? Maybe that's why the ''demo'' mysteriously became a ''beta'' so Jaffe can take on board more feed back?

The previous games were still pretty fiddly but as always new layouts that are different need to be learned. Socom II had the left anolouge to strafe left and right but look up and down & the right anolouge to move forwards and backwards and look left and right (think i got these the right way) I dont mind the controls :D

These were the controls for PS2 game Twisted Metal: Black so they are basically similar but still good thing once you get the hang of them

Triangle Buttonrear view
Circle Buttonbrake
X Buttontight turn
Square Buttongas
Square Button (twice)turbo
D-Pad Upforward
D-Pad Downreverse
D-Pad Left or Rightsteer
L1 Buttoncycle weapons left
R1 Buttoncycle weapons right
L2 Buttonfire weapon
R2 Buttonfire machine gun
Left Analog Sticksteer
Right Analog Stickgas, brake
R3 Buttonturbo
L3 Buttontight turn
Start Buttonpause
Select Buttonchange view or weapon display
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

MadchesterManc

86%
04 Rank
Progress
MadchesterManc
Accepted Solution
You guys managed to play the beta? Ive had matchmaking error every time Ive tried online n the challenge mode keeps crashing on the load screen lol luckily the tutorial works so I can at least get used to the controls n give it another try tomorrow. Its been a long time since I played Twisted Metal Black Online so Ive already got this pre-ordered. Hopefully the beta starts working so I can get used to TM again.....
0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Beta Tester
/16

ytevo79

• Beta Tester
99%
10 Rank
Progress
ytevo79
Accepted Solution

born2destroy wrote:

ytevo79 wrote:

The previous games were still pretty fiddly but as always new layouts that are different need to be learned. Socom II had the left anolouge to strafe left and right but look up and down & the right anolouge to move forwards and backwards and look left and right (think i got these the right way) I dont mind the controls :D

These were the controls for PS2 game Twisted Metal: Black so they are basically similar but still good thing once you get the hang of them

Triangle Buttonrear view
Circle Buttonbrake
X Buttontight turn
Square Buttongas
Square Button (twice)turbo
D-Pad Upforward
D-Pad Downreverse
D-Pad Left or Rightsteer
L1 Buttoncycle weapons left
R1 Buttoncycle weapons right
L2 Buttonfire weapon
R2 Buttonfire machine gun
Left Analog Sticksteer
Right Analog Stickgas, brake
R3 Buttonturbo
L3 Buttontight turn
Start Buttonpause
Select Buttonchange view or weapon display

Ahh I only remember the PS game and the controls would have been simplified for non analogue stick controllers? They just seem out of place in this gen and need some getting used to :)

MadchesterManc wrote:
You guys managed to play the beta? Ive had matchmaking error every time Ive tried online n the challenge mode keeps crashing on the load screen lol luckily the tutorial works so I can at least get used to the controls n give it another try tomorrow. Its been a long time since I played Twisted Metal Black Online so Ive already got this pre-ordered. Hopefully the beta starts working so I can get used to TM again.....

Challenge mode plays fine, but I cannot get online and get matchmaking errors. 

0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

The-Sea-Trout

88%
02 Rank
Progress
The-Sea-Trout
Accepted Solution

You can also go into the options and change the control layout if you want, I changed to a the more usual racing style that's used these days, much better.

As for the game itself I managed to do the training etc but I couldn't get into an online game at all.

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

Animavore

96%
04 Rank
Progress
Animavore
Accepted Solution

Got onto online at last today. It seems to work better now.

It's good fun.

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

The-Sea-Trout

88%
02 Rank
Progress
The-Sea-Trout
Accepted Solution

Animavore wrote:

It's good fun.

Sweet, will try this again after work.

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

Animavore

96%
04 Rank
Progress
Animavore
Accepted Solution

The-Sea-Trout wrote:

Animavore wrote:

It's good fun.

It still might take three or four tries but last night it wasn't coming on no matter how many tries I tried. I played three seperate games since that post and all only took 1-4 goes so it wasn't a one-off fluke earlier.

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

born2destroy

95%
07 Rank
Progress
born2destroy
Accepted Solution

Animavore wrote:

The-Sea-Trout wrote:

Animavore wrote:

It's good fun.

It still might take three or four tries but last night it wasn't coming on no matter how many tries I tried. I played three seperate games since that post and all only took 1-4 goes so it wasn't a one-off fluke earlier.

Yep still dificult for me to find a game :/ guess its not fixed

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Beta Tester
/16

InfiniteStates

• Beta Tester
94%
10 Rank
Progress
InfiniteStates
Accepted Solution

Commandofin wrote:

...How hard it would be to make this kind of key mapping R2 = gas, L2 = reverse, L1 = Turbo, R1 = Fire, [] = Weapon switch, X = Jump/(Hold to strafe, like in CTR), /\ = sec weapon switch, O = handbrake. I switched from  [] = gas to R2 = gas but the weapon firing switched also. WTEFF?

LOL Throttle and fire on the same shoulder buttons? How would you move and shoot without finger gymnastics (a la Warhawk)?

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

Commandofin

90%
03 Rank
Progress
Commandofin
Accepted Solution

InfiniteStates wrote:

Commandofin wrote:

...How hard it would be to make this kind of key mapping R2 = gas, L2 = reverse, L1 = Turbo, R1 = Fire, [] = Weapon switch, X = Jump/(Hold to strafe, like in CTR), /\ = sec weapon switch, O = handbrake. I switched from  [] = gas to R2 = gas but the weapon firing switched also. WTEFF?

LOL Throttle and fire on the same shoulder buttons? How would you move and shoot without finger gymnastics (a la Warhawk)?

R1 and R2 not the same if you got them mixed. Besides I use my index and middle fingers at the same time when playing shooting games because I don't have any problem with that. Oh and instead of turbo being in L1 like I suggested earlier I want them to work the same as in Warhawk where you double tap R2. I thought all shooterplayers played like that. Huh, I guess I'm alone :/.

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Beta Tester
/16

Cringles88

• Beta Tester
86%
09 Rank
Progress
Cringles88
Accepted Solution

I have been unable to actually play online as the servers are a mess. I too find the controls arkward to even remember. I automatically go for X, R1 or R2 in any game with driving to find the gas. It will take a while getting used to for me at least, a lot to remember!

I used to love Twisted Metal, but I can't remember my favourite. I think I started to prefer Vigilante after some time.

0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

MadchesterManc

86%
04 Rank
Progress
MadchesterManc
Accepted Solution
I really dont see the issue with the controls. Ive switched to the racing setup and its a breeze to play. Im even more stocked for this game after having a few matches of nuke earlier. Its great to see theyve kept the gameplay old-skool n not added any unwanted cod style perks or anythin. Any admins wanna give us an update on when the matchmaking issue will be resolved? The beta ends on the 8th apparently and some people are fickle enough to think that a beta is the finished article (check the starhawk beta section if ya dont believe me) The matchmaking error could be a killer for some of those fickle people.....
0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

The-Sea-Trout

88%
02 Rank
Progress
The-Sea-Trout
Accepted Solution

Yeah it still wasnt playing ball with myself last night, just kept getting 'matchmaking error' over and over again lol.

Im sure it will eventually work at some point.

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Beta Tester
/16

Cringles88

• Beta Tester
86%
09 Rank
Progress
Cringles88
Accepted Solution

Finally got to play online. I think its an awful game, which is strange as I loved the old ones. Maybe the gameplay doesn't appeal to me anymore, so even the old ones may seem terrible if I went back. Enjoy anyway!

0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

bambaroo

88%
02 Rank
Progress
bambaroo
Accepted Solution
Just out of curiosity, how many of you are using the classic controls and who prefers the dual sticks method?
0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Beta Tester
/16

ytevo79

• Beta Tester
99%
10 Rank
Progress
ytevo79
Accepted Solution

bambaroo wrote:
Just out of curiosity, how many of you are using the classic controls and who prefers the dual sticks method?

I stuck with classic, might give the other option a whirl but I find swapping controlls about don't help much. Pick one and stick with it ;)

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

Commandofin

90%
03 Rank
Progress
Commandofin
Accepted Solution

bambaroo wrote:

I would use dual sticks if the rest of the controls were better so I don't even bother playing this game. Can you send message to ESP that they should include this kind of setup.

R2 = Gas, L2 = Reverse, Double tapping R2 = turbo, Double tapping L2 = Reverse turbo, R1= main gun, L1 = secondary gun, Triangle = Prim. weapon swap, Square = Sec. weapon swap, X = Jump, holding X = strafe, Circle = Handbrake(or what ever was left). Right stick (R3) should be the camera/aim control (for the mines) and L3 vehicle turning. When entering Juggernaught it should be either R1 or triangle.

You can keep the arrow button mapping.

I hope you read this.

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Beta Tester
/16

InfiniteStates

• Beta Tester
94%
10 Rank
Progress
InfiniteStates
Accepted Solution

I would put fire on face buttons and weapons cycle on the other shoulders personally. Moving and shooting is a more frequent event than moving and weapon cycling...

0 Kudos

View our house rules for posts
Post Reply Update Reply Cancel