31 Oct 2011
Playstation Staff

FoB: Camera problems make Comic Panes a pain.

6 Replies 241 Views Created 31-10-2011

After playing a few FoB missions that made good use of the new Comic Pane feature, I am trying to include them in my own UGC mission.  However, problems when setting up the camera make creating panes tedious and annoying.  Anyone who takes the time to create many of them in a mission deserves a commendation.

When you select a Comic Pane logic box, and choose the "Edit Camera" option, the position in which you place the camera does not correlate with how the pane is displayed when the mission is played.  How one sets up the camera does not match how the camera is located in the mission. 

If I set up my characters the way I'd like, and use the "Edit Camera" option to capture the scene I'd like, the camera appears in a  different position when the mission is played.  Usually, it is tilted much further down then I aimed it, or it's position has automatically changed by several meters.  To circumvent the problem, I have to move the camera and place it in such a way that it does not capture the scene I want, play the mission to see it's new (different) position, and continue to edit it until it is correctly set when the mission is played, but set up in a totally different position.  This necessary trial-and-error stretches out the time it takes to create a single pane to nearly an hour.  It's almost intolerable.

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 7 (241 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

Playstation Staff

Re: FoB: Camera problems make Comic Panes a pain.

I had this issue too. Do you try using the camera preview option in the edit mode? (Highlighting the cutscene logic box, pressing square, then triangle).
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 7 (237 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 2

Playstation Staff

I'm having a similar problem. The camera is not the problem. Cole keeps changes his head direction. He won't look straight.

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 7 (233 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 1

Playstation Staff

I have tested this issue a couple times and here's what I think.

Reason 1: When you're actually playing, a certain movement (example swinging weapon, or coles automated movement when not using the joystick) and the cutscene triggered. Cole may be facing another direction, because of "that" movement. You notice when you stop using the joystick Cole gets into his little stance and looks around, when the cutscene is triggered he could be looking around in the direction he was originally was facing. The Cutscene trigger stops time in the mission and moves the npcs to the camera and poses, if you're using Vampiric Senses and the cutscene is triggered the Vampiric Sense's "gray-look" is still there. Even when you're putting away your weapon it shows Cole's hand holding the weapon still. This is just what I think so far.

Reason 2: The Border options in the Cutscene Tool could make a difference in camera angle, I've noticed when you toy with it the Edit Camera doesn't exactly show where you want it, I've had to adjust the camera to a point where it doesn't show the character and it still regardless in the mission shows the characters faces and poses.

Reason 3: This reason isn't exactly relevant, but just a possibility. TVs/Display used with the game could also effect how cutscenes are displayed. I've used it on a small TV and a bigger TV, the small television when in cutscenes occasionally some texts are put out of screen, due to no widescreen, bigger televisions well bigger is better :smileyindifferent:.

These are only possibilities based on my hypothesis, I just had to work with it and test it.

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 7 (223 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 1

Playstation Staff

^

Reason 1 is an issue for sure. If a cutscene triggers while Cole is swinging the stake or shooting, he will be holding the stake and electricity effects can be all over the place. Sometimes it will also cause him to stick his arm out in random directions.

Adding a timer between the "is incapacitated" box and the cutscene can help remedy this issue somewhat. But you never know how long a player will keep shooting/swinging after the last enemy is dead.

This is generally the only problem I have had.

The camera always points where I tell it to. The borders can cause need for adjustment because they cover more than expected.

You absolutely need to use the pose options to get consistent shots, otherwise the characters will mess it up with their idle animation or even run off somewhere.

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 7 (214 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 2

Playstation Staff

[ Edited ]

Also it's becoming an issue because cole isn't even having the same facial expression. I think it's when u start a mission with a cutscene and no gameplay.

EDIT: YUP don't start a mission with a cuscene.

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 7 (200 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

Playstation Staff

[ Edited ]

I haven't noticed any real problems like this yet, but one thing that is a pain is the 'hidden' setting on the Firstborn vampires.  While editing 'hidden' firstborn, you're editing their vamp-bat incarnation, but in-game they're random human figures.  It's a bit of an issue when trying to position them for the cutscene tool.  Bit of trial and error required.  Would also be nice to choose which human form they take, for the purpose of cutscenes and narratives.

Quick tip, by the way .. if you use an object modifier to 'Activate' hidden firstborn, they transform in-game without needing to be being bitten or attacked.

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 7 (182 Views)
0 Kudos