03 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post

Latest Missions from RetroSteveUK ...

[ Edited ]
81 Replies 1,115 Views edited 08-08-2011

Following up on a discussion about where to post / promote our own missions, I've created this thread to post my missions to, as new ones appear.  I have a little catching up to do here, so I'll start by posting a few that have been out there for a while, then I'll add the rest of the backlog over the next few days.  After that it'll be new missions added as they're pubished.

Thanks to everyone who's played any of my missions, and thanks for taking the time to read this post.

Three missions I created initially, and have since been featured ...

* Tank FInder General - LINK

"Find and destroy 10 hidden propane tanks."

* Puck Man - LINK

"A homage to the classic dot eating maze game."

* Invaders From Space - LINK

"A homage to the alien blasting retro game."

LABELS:
View our house rules for posts
Post Reply Update Reply Cancel
/16

GameForce

60%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
GameForce
Accepted Solution

You don't have to rearrange any part of your mission, just add my name into the credits (if you already put them in there, I can't remember if there are any), or you can just add a comment after the mission description.

0 Kudos

Re: Status Kuo

/16

RetroSteveUK

94%
03 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
RetroSteveUK
Accepted Solution

I updated Status Kuo today and gave you a credit in the main description.

0 Kudos

Re: Status Kuo

/16

RetroSteveUK

94%
03 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
RetroSteveUK
Accepted Solution

* Resurrection of the Blood God - MISSION LINK

"There's a new bad guy in town. Can Cole prevent his reign of terror?"

This is my first Festival Of Blood mission. I kinda nicked the idea from Blade, the Wesley Snipes movie.  A vampire sect intends to resurrect an ancient Blood God.  As Cole, you have to foil their efforts by destroying jars containing the ancient blood, and avoid the resurrection of the Blood God.  One thing I'm a little uncertain of with this mission is the use of glyphs instead of waypoints to locate the jars around the city.  It takes a bit of simple detective work (ie. follow the arrows - duh!) to find the jars.  This mission was played four times within a few minutes of me uploading it and it got an average of one star.  I think people may have struggled with the glyphs and got lost.

I'm away this weekend, so I've been rushing to put the final polish on this mission today.  As such, there may be one or two rough edges.  Let me know if you spot any glitches or issues, and whether navigating by glyphs is too hard.  I'll iron them out next week when I get back, and post some pics too, which I haven't yet had time to do.

0 Kudos

Resurrection of the Blood God

/16

RetroSteveUK

94%
03 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
RetroSteveUK
Accepted Solution

Street Kombat - MISSION LINK

"Defeat five deadly opponents in five rounds of mortal street kombat, (a homage to the 2D beat-em-up game genre.)"

A recreation in UGC of Street Fighter / Mortal Kombat type games.  Defeat five deadly opponents in five rounds of Street Kombat.  Each unique opponent has special moves and powers created using combinations of effects from the UGC tool set.  Unlock new powers for Cole each time you defeat an opponent.  A gameplay twist means you gain electric charge by wounding the opponent, (draining power from the environment is disabled,) and unlocked powers use up electrical charge.

0 Kudos

Street Kombat

/16

NavalMarco

46%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
NavalMarco
Accepted Solution

Hey RetroSteve. Which ones are your missions in Festival of Blood? I've been dying to try them! I'm having trouble finding any from you in FoB.

Btw, thanks for helping me out with checkpoints back in the day. I put them to good use in my Heart of Darkness series. Did you like those missions btw? The first one is mostly a movie, but the others are much better.

NavalMarco

0 Kudos

Re: Latest Missions from RetroSteveUK ...

/16

RetroSteveUK

94%
03 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
RetroSteveUK
Accepted Solution

I only made one mission in Festival of Blood, and that was Resurrection of the Blood God.  To be honest, since I finished FOB and made that one UGC mission, I haven't played it again.  I have a load of missions queued up for it, but I keep going back to I2 when I do play.  I really need to get back on and play some of those queued missions.

0 Kudos

Re: Latest Missions from RetroSteveUK ...

/16

RetroSteveUK

94%
03 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
RetroSteveUK
Accepted Solution

Donkey Kole (easier version) ... Mission Link

This is a remix of one of my earlier missions, (the UGC server won't let me update the original.)  A number of reviews on the original Donkey Kole indicate that the time limits are too tight, so I've loosened them to make the mission easier.  I also had a review from a disgruntled player who complained about not being able to drain the bombs.  The rolling barrels (wrecking balls from the industrial object pack) look a bit bomb-like, so I think this person was trying to drain the barrels .. lol.  I've updated some of the in-game text to cover this issue too.

When completed, this mission links to the earlier version with the tighter time limits.

0 Kudos

Donkey Kole (easier version)

/16

e-flat

80%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
e-flat
Accepted Solution

Steve,

I enjoyed the original very much. I thought the timers were set fairly. I personally like for missions to be a bit challenging.

When it comes to the difficulty of my missions, I just think "Well, 30,000 other people did it.". If you get a few people who complain it's too hard then you must have done it right.

0 Kudos

Re: Donkey Kole (easier version)

/16

RetroSteveUK

94%
03 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
RetroSteveUK
Accepted Solution

e-flat wrote:

Steve,

I enjoyed the original very much. I thought the timers were set fairly. I personally like for missions to be a bit challenging.

When it comes to the difficulty of my missions, I just think "Well, 30,000 other people did it.". If you get a few people who complain it's too hard then you must have done it right.

I tend to think the same way most of the time.  The main reason I went back in to Donkey Kole was because someone said they couldn't drain the bombs.  I thought maybe an update had broken the mission logic, so I had a look and everything worked fine.  It then dawned on me that they were probably trying to drain the rolling barrel objects, which look a little bomb-like.  While I was there I figured I might as well make some tweaks, including the difficulty of the timers as this had been mentioned in reviews a lot.

0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
Beta Tester
/16

Wretched_Hawk

• Beta Tester
94%
10 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Wretched_Hawk
Accepted Solution

Great thread, a well earned sticky for this one :)

0 Kudos

Flying High!
/16

RetroSteveUK

94%
03 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
RetroSteveUK
Accepted Solution

Thanks .. I didn't notice until I read your post just now.

0 Kudos

Beta Tester
/16

Wretched_Hawk

• Beta Tester
94%
10 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Wretched_Hawk
Accepted Solution

RetroSteveUK wrote:

Thanks .. I didn't notice until I read your post just now.

No problem.

Sorry for the overly late reply :)

0 Kudos

Flying High!
/16

RetroSteveUK

94%
03 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
RetroSteveUK
Accepted Solution

* Zeke's Treasure Hunt ... Mission Link

With the city all cleaned up, Cole and Zeke now have a lot of time on their hands.
Zeke sets up a treasure hunt game to help a bored Cole pass the time.

This mission has ten rounds of hide and seek with hidden objects, and each object reveals a photo of the location of the next, and a clue.  Waypoints for each item display until you get close, then disappear so you then have to use the photo to locate the object.  This mission works similarly to those [i]hidden package[/i] missions in the main story mode.  There's also some combat thrown in - just a little though, as the capacity thermometer hit 100% before I was finished.  I had to make a few cuts and compromises.

I also put a bonus joke scene in at the end, just for laughs.

0 Kudos

Zeke's Treasure Hunt

/16

RetroSteveUK

94%
03 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
RetroSteveUK
Accepted Solution

* Strategic Batlle With A New Enemy ... Mission Link

Cole (with a little help from some friends) faces a new supervillain who has the ability to neutralise conduit powers. This mission is based on, and a tribute to, turn based strategy games. (Inspired by a mission from UGC creator: Solid_Altair)

Fight against 'Quiksilver' (a new Conduit supervillain) and his minions in this turn based strategy battle.  You'll take turns with the enemy, choosing various offensive and defensive moves, in an attempt to take down Quiksilver's three minions (round 1) then Quiksilver himself (round 2).  You, as Cole, command two friends who do battle with the enemy on behalf of Cole, whose powers have been neutralised by Quiksilver.  If both friends die, it's game over!

The complexity of the logic in this mission made my eyes feel like they were going to pop out of my face!  This one was a real chore to put together, and there was a mad balancing act towards the end, trying to get everything to fit into the 100% UGC capacity limit.  I had to make one or two compromises to fit everything in, but the mission is pretty much as I planned it to be.

If you find any bugs please let me know, cheers. :)

0 Kudos

Strategic Batlle With A New Enemy

/16

RetroSteveUK

94%
03 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
RetroSteveUK
Accepted Solution

* Invaders From Space (Deluxe Edition) ... Mission Link

Those invading aliens from outer space are back for more! This is the deluxe edition of 'Invaders From Space' by RetroSteveUK, with more advanced invaders, improved enemy weapons and selectable difficulty levels.

The first Invaders From Space UGC mission was my third attempt at making a mission.  Since then I've learned a lot more about the tool set and wanted to remake the mission using some new ideas, features and cosmetic touches.  Some may consider it unneccessary, and it probably is to be honest so I admit this is an exercise in self indulgence, but it's one I thoroughly enjoyed making.  I hope you get some enjoyment out of it too.

0 Kudos

Invaders From Space (Deluxe Edition)

[ Edited ]
/16

GaNk1n1t

60%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
GaNk1n1t
Accepted Solution

Queued. :Thumbs:

0 Kudos

Re: Invaders From Space (Deluxe Edition)

/16

planeone1

60%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
planeone1
Accepted Solution

Queued! Be sure to check out my missions.

0 Kudos

/16

RetroSteveUK

94%
03 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
RetroSteveUK
Accepted Solution

Cheers.  I've played a couple of yours already, but I'll go have a look at your mission thread to see what I've missed.

0 Kudos

/16

planeone1

60%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
planeone1
Accepted Solution

Definitely one of the best missions I've played in quite some time. I kept trying until I got the perfect score on Hard. I'm not entirely sure you meant for the tactic I used to be possible, so I put my strategy in the spoiler tag beneath.

Spoiler
I hanged from one of the pillars in front of Cole to avoid being hit by rockets, and shot at the invaders from there.

Zeke's Treasure Hunt and Strategic Battle with a New Enemy were great as well. Was it just me, or are enemies biased to attack Jose? He took way more damage than Wolfe did.

0 Kudos

/16

RetroSteveUK

94%
03 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
RetroSteveUK
Accepted Solution

There were all sorts of ways to cheat at Invaders from Space Deluxe, and I managed to eliminate most of them, but some of them had to stay because of technical issues.  The way you used is one of them, but it's all in the game I guess.  If someone's smart enough to think of a way to make it easier, good luck to them.

There's no bias in the Strategic Battle mission, just random choices.  The next time you play it could be biassed against Wolfe, it's just dumb luck.

Thanks for playing. :)

0 Kudos

/16

RetroSteveUK

94%
03 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
RetroSteveUK
Accepted Solution

* inJUSTICE - LINK

"The militia have found an alternative way to defeat Cole. They hope to sue him for damages after being beaten down in battle, but is there more to this devious plan of theirs than just lawyers and justice?"

My first attempt at a full narrative mission.  As always, there were a few issues with the 100% temp bar towards the end, and I had to make a couple of presentation compromises to make space for the last few cutscenes, but that aside, I'm happy with it.  A little feedback on the stealth sections would be appreciated.  I'm not sure if I've made them too hard, and therefore frustrating.

0 Kudos

i n J U S T I C E

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
View our house rules for posts
Post Reply Update Reply Cancel