[EN] Archive

UGC Mission Design

UGC Mission Design

Level 4

Re: Attach objects to moving objects

I don't think you can check up on that.  When it comes to moving objects there are still a few caveats here and there. You can see this yourself if you have the ice launch power and perform this while standing on a car. The ice column will remain where it is; the car will drive on and you will be launched as expected. If you look back you'll see the ice column hoovering in mid-air.

So it seems the same applies here; most controls are more 'area based' than 'object based'.

Please use plain text.
Message 471 of 520 (508 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 1

[ Edited ]
"I have been playing around with a "ride on an ambulance" mission and I have a few problems. Problem 1: In order to make the ambulance move like I want (just drive along the a road) I have it unaffected by gravity and "moving". This is all fine until it's hit with a shockwave or some other attack that adds inertia. When that happens it flies off and the mission is broken. I tried setting damage response to 0, but apparently the force of the attack is still in effect. How can I prevent external forces interferring with the ambulance? Problem 2: The player can simply hop off the roof and let the ambulance drive to the finish no problem. How can I check that Cole stays on the roof? Volumes don't follow the object they are placed on if it moves and I can't find a distance check logic." _____________ I have a suggestion for Problem 2. It's not very accurate and it takes a lot of work, but it might still be the best option. Have volumes on the path and timers and switches associated with these volumes. So, if the ambulance shall be here on such time and Cole leaves this volume here the mission fails. And when the ambulance passes by, this mission fail logic is disabled by a trigger. It also doesn't have to be super accurate. If it has some accuracy it will lead the player to believe he must stay on the ambulance. _____________ As for Problem 1, you try to disallow Cole from using shockwave powers, such as blasts. (sorry about the lack of line brakes, there seems to be a glitch on the forum right now, that doesn't let me use them)
Please use plain text.
Message 472 of 520 (517 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

[ Edited ]

ReeNoip,

The problems you are having with the Ride the Ambulance mission are hard to get around and still have the mission work reliably. I have thought of making a similar mission myself and the first issue you bring up is one I hadn't considered.

I have found that the "Moving" option in the physics is the best option for getting vehicles to drive. The wheels on the vehicles do not roll so when using the "Free" option the wheels drag on the ground and makes the car very hard to move. The "Free" option still allows the car to be moved by other forces (including gravity). However, you can set a timer and volume to check that the vehicle reaches the next location within a certain amount of time. This would allow you to set a mission fail and restart the mission. This will not fix the problem of having the vehicle derailed from it's course but will allow the player to try again.

As for making sure Cole stays on the Ambulance, I would suggest a pair of volumes set to make sure that Cole and the Ambulance are in the same place at the same time. Place these in locations along the vehicles path and connect them to a timer and a brief warning the player to stay on the ambulance. Connect the timer to a mission fail. Set the timer to just longer than it will take for the vehicle to reach the next pair of volumes. If Cole and the ambulance both reach the next set of volumes together, then pause the timer to avoid the mission fail.

You could also make a large volume with the height set very low to detect when Cole in on the ground. Connect this to a brief warning the player to stay on the Ambulance. This doesn't have to be connected to a mission fail but will encourage the player not to leave the ambulance.

Please use plain text.
Message 473 of 520 (502 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

Addicted to UGC

I have a problem ... I'm spending WAY too much time making UGC missions.  I need something to tempt me away from inFamous2, as the rest of my PS3 game collection is starting to gather dust.  Any suggestions?

Please use plain text.
Message 474 of 520 (482 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 1

Re: Addicted to UGC

RetroSteveUK escreveu:

I have a problem ... I'm spending WAY too much time making UGC missions.  I need something to tempt me away from inFamous2, as the rest of my PS3 game collection is starting to gather dust.  Any suggestions?

I suppose your collection includes Uncharted 3 and Batman Arkham City. If it doesn't, it absolutely must!

And if you care for fighting games, Soul Calibur 5 just came out. The franchise has the deepest gamplay in the genre. And this installment also has a very broad character creation, which should plz us UGC guys.

I'm currently in the opposite situation as you are. I wanna conclude my UGC mission and I have others in my head, but I don't have the gaming time for them.

Please use plain text.
Message 475 of 520 (477 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 5

RetroSteveUK wrote:

I know your pain, Steve. I spent several months playing only Infamous 2. I just recently broke my addiction. I don't really know what advice I can offer, other than playing other games to see if one grabs your attention. Ironically, Infamous 2 is one of very few games I have ever purchased on release day. I'd definitely say I got my money's worth! :Thumbs:

Please use plain text.
Message 476 of 520 (472 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

Same here.  Had it pre-ordered, and money's worth doesn't do it justice.  I've spent more hours on this game than any I've ever bought in the last 30 years!  Second place goes to Ghostbusters on the ZX Spectrum, which I still occasionally play to this day, (on an emulator on my laptop.)

Please use plain text.
Message 477 of 520 (466 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 1

[ Edited ]

How do you think I feel? I got Infamous: Festival of Blood for free, so calculating how much of my money's worth I got from it would involve dividing by 0... :smileytongue:

Please use plain text.
Message 478 of 520 (461 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 1

Re: The "Help me! I have a UGC problem" Thread

I was messing around with UGC for a bit, and I was trying to get a Militia Light Car to move across the road. I looked over the core logic and couldn't find anything involving moving anything other than NPC Pathing. Is there a way to make an object move to a waypoint, and if so, is there a way to make the object make turns?

Please use plain text.
Message 479 of 520 (432 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

Re: The "Help me! I have a UGC problem" Thread

Zaughi

Making cars move is probably one of the most difficult things to do in the UGC. They are just objects and don't respond to any of the commands for the NPCs, like following paths. It can be done, it's just hard to get right.

If you'd like to look into it further you can chedk out my mission "Tracking Down Foes".  I set it up so people could get an idea of what it takes to drive cars.

Please use plain text.
Message 480 of 520 (428 Views)
0 Kudos