Reply
Want to join in?

Sign in to continue

I have a PSN account

Welcome back!

I'm new!

it only takes a minute or two

  • 142

    New messages in the last hour

  • Get a response within minutes

  • 92%

    92% percent of messages responded to

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
08 Jun 2011
By thshdw

thshdw

  • Offline
60%
02 Rank
Progress

The "Help me! I have a UGC problem" Thread

[ Edited ]
519 Replies 4,421 Views edited 08-06-2011
08 Jun 2011
By thshdw

Have a UGC problem that you need to solve? That "thing" you want to do with the UGC tools just not working? Use this thread to get help!


I'll get the problem solving started by providing the answer to a question that user "augster1011" posted on the beta forums. augster1011 wanted Different Choice Briefs - "trigger something, e.g. an explosion, and have that cancel out a brief that would normally activate from a volume switch"


The solution to this problem is with switches! See this flowchart.


A switch set to disable will pass its input till a "disabler" happens, like a bomb going off. Connecting the bomb's explosion event to the disable switch prevents whatever is on the other side of the disable switch from running. In this case it would prevent brief "Bomb did not go off" from showing.


A switch set to enable will NOT pass its input till an "enabler" happens, like a bomb going off. Connecting the bomb's explosion event to the enable switch passes input to whatever is on the other side of the enable switch. In this case it would enable brief "Boom!" causing it show on screen


Switches are very powerful tools that can give your missions alternate paths and choices.

0 Kudos
Reply
LABELS:
View our house rules for posts
Post Reply Update Reply Cancel

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
02
/16

jedicam10

  • Offline
84%
02 Rank
Progress
jedicam10
Accepted Solution

NavalMarco wrote:
Oh, wow this is great! Thanks so much, Domton6! In fact, just by looking at it a light bulb just went "ding!" in my head, heheh.

I love that feeling! :)

0 Kudos

Re: Respawning Issues

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
02
/16

NavalMarco

  • Offline
46%
02 Rank
Progress
NavalMarco
Accepted Solution
Awesome, retroSteve. Thanks so much, I'l try that, see if it works. I appreciate the help, man.
0 Kudos

Re: Respawning Issues

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
02
/16
26%
02 Rank
Progress
TheLaughingSwine
Accepted Solution

Hello I'm new to this whole UGC thing I only made one mission so far and I'm in the middle of my second mission. I'm now stuck what I'm trying to do is when Cole enters the perimeter show the number of objects that Cole is to destroy and and a timer counting down...when one of objects is destroyed I want the counter to show that one of the objects was destroyed and also if Cole fails to destroy all objects when the timer reaches zero I want the mission to fail but if Cole is successful in destroying the objects before the time reaches zero I want the timer to go away and the mission not to fail. My biggest problem is getting the volume and the monitor to work together.

 

Any help with this problem would be great.

 

Thank you for reading.

0 Kudos

Re: The "Help me! I have a UGC problem" Thread

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
02
/16

e-flat

  • Offline
80%
02 Rank
Progress
e-flat
Accepted Solution

Welcome to the forum LaughingSwine.

 

Since you seem to already have some experience with the UGC, I won't go into all of the details for the logic. The key to getting this to work the way you want is Logic Modifiers. Logic Modifiers kind of look like Object Modifiers but are used to modify Timers and Counters.

 

Set the Timer up with no input, set to count down and it's output plugged into Mission Fail logic box. You'll also need a Counter (Count Down). You can control this Counter with a Monitor set to watch for the destroyed items and a Logic Modifier set to add -1 to the Counter. Plug the Counters output into a Mission Success logic box.

 

Set up another  Monitor (Mission Starts) >> Splitter >> Logic Modifier (Timer, Pause) >> Logic Modifier (Timer, Display No) >> Logic Modifier (Counter, Display No). These Logic Modifiers will pause the Timer and hide the displays for the Timer and Counter until you need them in the mission.

 

Next add a Volume to start this part of the mission. Have it activate Logic Modifiers to start the Timer and turn on the displays for the Timer and Counter.

 

With this setup, if the Timer reaches 0 the mission fails and if the Counter reaches 0 the mission ends in success.

 

Good luck with your new mission.

 

 

0 Kudos

Re: The "Help me! I have a UGC problem" Thread

[ Edited ]

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
02
/16
26%
02 Rank
Progress
TheLaughingSwine
Accepted Solution

e-flat wrote:

Welcome to the forum LaughingSwine.

 

Since you seem to already have some experience with the UGC, I won't go into all of the details for the logic. The key to getting this to work the way you want is Logic Modifiers. Logic Modifiers kind of look like Object Modifiers but are used to modify Timers and Counters.

 

Set the Timer up with no input, set to count down and it's output plugged into Mission Fail logic box. You'll also need a Counter (Count Down). You can control this Counter with a Monitor set to watch for the destroyed items and a Logic Modifier set to add -1 to the Counter. Plug the Counters output into a Mission Success logic box.

 

Set up another  Monitor (Mission Starts) >> Splitter >> Logic Modifier (Timer, Pause) >> Logic Modifier (Timer, Display No) >> Logic Modifier (Counter, Display No). These Logic Modifiers will pause the Timer and hide the displays for the Timer and Counter until you need them in the mission.

 

Next add a Volume to start this part of the mission. Have it activate Logic Modifiers to start the Timer and turn on the displays for the Timer and Counter.

 

With this setup, if the Timer reaches 0 the mission fails and if the Counter reaches 0 the mission ends in success.

 

Good luck with your new mission.

 

 


e-flat Thank you for your welcome and the reply to my qustion. I can't wait to give this a try.

 

If you or anyone would like to try out my first mission and you have infamous festival of blood look for the mission named WITCH-Will the vampires knock?

0 Kudos

Re: The "Help me! I have a UGC problem" Thread

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
02
/16

ratchet6009

  • Offline
60%
02 Rank
Progress
ratchet6009
Accepted Solution

Is there a way to Attach an object to another object that moves? I tried to use the object modifier to set the velocity of a truck carrying explosives but the explosives don't stay on the truck. The truck justs moves away without them.

0 Kudos

Re: Attach objects to moving objects

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
02
/16

e-flat

  • Offline
80%
02 Rank
Progress
e-flat
Accepted Solution

I don't know of a good fix for keeping objects in the back of trucks. NPCs work fine when placed in a moving truck but using the "moving" option in the physics allows objects to pass through the truck. It also allows the truck to pass through other objects (including the ground and buildings). You can try using the "free" option, but then the truck becomes very hard to move.

 

Maybe it would make a difference if you set the object up with a modifier and set its physics to free. I haven't tried this. It just occurred to me as I was typing.

 

It would be really nice if we had access to the vehicle class of objects that are used in the campaign. Those have wheels that actually roll and turn. What we have is just a static model of the vehicle. It seems they are only intended to be used as props and not for making any kind of driving mission.

0 Kudos

Re: Attach objects to moving objects

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
02
/16

ReeNoiP_

  • Offline
60%
02 Rank
Progress
ReeNoiP_
Accepted Solution

I have been playing around with a "ride on an ambulance" mission and I have a few problems.

 

Problem 1:

In order to make the ambulance move like I want (just drive along the a road) I have it unaffected by gravity and "moving". This is all fine until it's hit with a shockwave or some other attack that adds inertia. When that happens it flies off and the mission is broken. I tried setting damage response to 0, but apparently the force of the attack is still in effect.

 

How can I prevent external forces interferring with the ambulance?

 

Problem 2:

The player can simply hop off the roof and let the ambulance drive to the finish no problem.

 

How can I check that Cole stays on the roof? Volumes don't follow the object they are placed on if it moves and I can't find a distance check logic.

0 Kudos

Re: Attach objects to moving objects

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
03
/16

LionPL

  • Offline
94%
03 Rank
Progress
LionPL
Accepted Solution

I don't think you can check up on that.  When it comes to moving objects there are still a few caveats here and there. You can see this yourself if you have the ice launch power and perform this while standing on a car. The ice column will remain where it is; the car will drive on and you will be launched as expected. If you look back you'll see the ice column hoovering in mid-air.

 

So it seems the same applies here; most controls are more 'area based' than 'object based'.

 

0 Kudos

Re: Attach objects to moving objects

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
02
/16

Solid_Altair

  • Offline
60%
02 Rank
Progress
Solid_Altair
Accepted Solution
"I have been playing around with a "ride on an ambulance" mission and I have a few problems. Problem 1: In order to make the ambulance move like I want (just drive along the a road) I have it unaffected by gravity and "moving". This is all fine until it's hit with a shockwave or some other attack that adds inertia. When that happens it flies off and the mission is broken. I tried setting damage response to 0, but apparently the force of the attack is still in effect. How can I prevent external forces interferring with the ambulance? Problem 2: The player can simply hop off the roof and let the ambulance drive to the finish no problem. How can I check that Cole stays on the roof? Volumes don't follow the object they are placed on if it moves and I can't find a distance check logic." _____________ I have a suggestion for Problem 2. It's not very accurate and it takes a lot of work, but it might still be the best option. Have volumes on the path and timers and switches associated with these volumes. So, if the ambulance shall be here on such time and Cole leaves this volume here the mission fails. And when the ambulance passes by, this mission fail logic is disabled by a trigger. It also doesn't have to be super accurate. If it has some accuracy it will lead the player to believe he must stay on the ambulance. _____________ As for Problem 1, you try to disallow Cole from using shockwave powers, such as blasts. (sorry about the lack of line brakes, there seems to be a glitch on the forum right now, that doesn't let me use them)
0 Kudos

Re: Attach objects to moving objects

[ Edited ]

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
02
/16

e-flat

  • Offline
80%
02 Rank
Progress
e-flat
Accepted Solution

ReeNoip,

The problems you are having with the Ride the Ambulance mission are hard to get around and still have the mission work reliably. I have thought of making a similar mission myself and the first issue you bring up is one I hadn't considered.

 

I have found that the "Moving" option in the physics is the best option for getting vehicles to drive. The wheels on the vehicles do not roll so when using the "Free" option the wheels drag on the ground and makes the car very hard to move. The "Free" option still allows the car to be moved by other forces (including gravity). However, you can set a timer and volume to check that the vehicle reaches the next location within a certain amount of time. This would allow you to set a mission fail and restart the mission. This will not fix the problem of having the vehicle derailed from it's course but will allow the player to try again.

 

As for making sure Cole stays on the Ambulance, I would suggest a pair of volumes set to make sure that Cole and the Ambulance are in the same place at the same time. Place these in locations along the vehicles path and connect them to a timer and a brief warning the player to stay on the ambulance. Connect the timer to a mission fail. Set the timer to just longer than it will take for the vehicle to reach the next pair of volumes. If Cole and the ambulance both reach the next set of volumes together, then pause the timer to avoid the mission fail.

 

You could also make a large volume with the height set very low to detect when Cole in on the ground. Connect this to a brief warning the player to stay on the Ambulance. This doesn't have to be connected to a mission fail but will encourage the player not to leave the ambulance.

 

 

0 Kudos

Re: Attach objects to moving objects

[ Edited ]

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
02
/16

jedicam10

  • Offline
84%
02 Rank
Progress
jedicam10
Accepted Solution

TheLaughingSwine wrote:

Hello I'm new to this whole UGC thing I only made one mission so far and I'm in the middle of my second mission. I'm now stuck what I'm trying to do is when Cole enters the perimeter show the number of objects that Cole is to destroy and and a timer counting down...when one of objects is destroyed I want the counter to show that one of the objects was destroyed and also if Cole fails to destroy all objects when the timer reaches zero I want the mission to fail but if Cole is successful in destroying the objects before the time reaches zero I want the timer to go away and the mission not to fail. My biggest problem is getting the volume and the monitor to work together.

 

Any help with this problem would be great.

 

Thank you for reading.



Try this:

 

1) When Cole enters the perimeter of the Volume Monitor, use a Splitter and connect it to a Timer and a Counter.

2) Set the Timer and Counter to the right time and # of objectives, as nessesary.

3) Connect the Timer to a "Mission Fail" logic box.

4) Connect the Counter to another Splitter that is connected to 3 Logic Modifiers. Have one of those Logic Modifiers set to "Pause Timer", the other to "Hide Timer Display" and the last one to "Hide Counter Display".

5) Create a new Monitor and set it to "Whenever any objective is destroyed..."

6) Connect your new Monitor to a Logic Modifier that is set to "Count Down from Counter by adding -1 to the Counter".

 

This should end up looking like this:

 

When Cole enters the perimeter, a timer and counter should appear (1). Whenever any of the objectives are destroyed, the counter will go down by 1 point. When all objectives are destroyed within the time limit, the timer will dissapear and not affect youas will the counter. If Cole doesn't destroy the objectives within the time limit, the mission fails.

 

I think that's everything. Let me know if that doesn't clear things up for you.

 

EDIT: Wow! Beat me to it, E!

0 Kudos

Re: The "Help me! I have a UGC problem" Thread

[ Edited ]

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
03
/16

RetroSteveUK

  • Offline
94%
03 Rank
Progress
RetroSteveUK
Accepted Solution

I have a problem ... I'm spending WAY too much time making UGC missions.  I need something to tempt me away from inFamous2, as the rest of my PS3 game collection is starting to gather dust.  Any suggestions?

0 Kudos

Addicted to UGC

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
02
/16

Solid_Altair

  • Offline
60%
02 Rank
Progress
Solid_Altair
Accepted Solution

RetroSteveUK escreveu:

I have a problem ... I'm spending WAY too much time making UGC missions.  I need something to tempt me away from inFamous2, as the rest of my PS3 game collection is starting to gather dust.  Any suggestions?


I suppose your collection includes Uncharted 3 and Batman Arkham City. If it doesn't, it absolutely must!

 

And if you care for fighting games, Soul Calibur 5 just came out. The franchise has the deepest gamplay in the genre. And this installment also has a very broad character creation, which should plz us UGC guys.

 

I'm currently in the opposite situation as you are. I wanna conclude my UGC mission and I have others in my head, but I don't have the gaming time for them.

0 Kudos

Re: Addicted to UGC

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
03
/16

bnfdhfdhfd

  • Offline
90%
03 Rank
Progress
bnfdhfdhfd
Accepted Solution

RetroSteveUK wrote:

I have a problem ... I'm spending WAY too much time making UGC missions.  I need something to tempt me away from inFamous2, as the rest of my PS3 game collection is starting to gather dust.  Any suggestions?


 

I know your pain, Steve. I spent several months playing only Infamous 2. I just recently broke my addiction. I don't really know what advice I can offer, other than playing other games to see if one grabs your attention. Ironically, Infamous 2 is one of very few games I have ever purchased on release day. I'd definitely say I got my money's worth! :Thumbs:

0 Kudos

Re: Addicted to UGC

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
03
/16

RetroSteveUK

  • Offline
94%
03 Rank
Progress
RetroSteveUK
Accepted Solution

Same here.  Had it pre-ordered, and money's worth doesn't do it justice.  I've spent more hours on this game than any I've ever bought in the last 30 years!  Second place goes to Ghostbusters on the ZX Spectrum, which I still occasionally play to this day, (on an emulator on my laptop.)

 

0 Kudos

Re: Addicted to UGC

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
02
/16

GameForce

  • Offline
60%
02 Rank
Progress
GameForce
Accepted Solution

How do you think I feel? I got Infamous: Festival of Blood for free, so calculating how much of my money's worth I got from it would involve dividing by 0... :smileytongue:

0 Kudos

Re: Addicted to UGC

[ Edited ]

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
02
/16

Zaughi

  • Offline
31%
02 Rank
Progress
Zaughi
Accepted Solution

I was messing around with UGC for a bit, and I was trying to get a Militia Light Car to move across the road. I looked over the core logic and couldn't find anything involving moving anything other than NPC Pathing. Is there a way to make an object move to a waypoint, and if so, is there a way to make the object make turns?

0 Kudos

Re: The "Help me! I have a UGC problem" Thread

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
02
/16

e-flat

  • Offline
80%
02 Rank
Progress
e-flat
Accepted Solution

Zaughi

Making cars move is probably one of the most difficult things to do in the UGC. They are just objects and don't respond to any of the commands for the NPCs, like following paths. It can be done, it's just hard to get right.

 

If you'd like to look into it further you can chedk out my mission "Tracking Down Foes".  I set it up so people could get an idea of what it takes to drive cars.

0 Kudos

Re: The "Help me! I have a UGC problem" Thread

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
02
/16

Zaughi

  • Offline
31%
02 Rank
Progress
Zaughi
Accepted Solution

Is there a way to view missions, then? I've played Seth9977's Car Test Track and I'm gonna try yours, but playing them only shows me that they CAN be moved to certain waypoints.

0 Kudos

Re: The "Help me! I have a UGC problem" Thread

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
03
/16

RetroSteveUK

  • Offline
94%
03 Rank
Progress
RetroSteveUK
Accepted Solution

Zaughi wrote:

Is there a way to view missions, then? I've played Seth9977's Car Test Track and I'm gonna try yours, but playing them only shows me that they CAN be moved to certain waypoints.



When you say viewing missions, I presume you mean view how they work by examining the logic, which you'd do by selecting to Remix the mission, instead of just playing it.  I can also confirm that there is definitely no way to make vehicles move to path points.  Making vehicles move realistically is a laborious process involving multiple, carefully timed physics modifiers.

0 Kudos

Re: The "Help me! I have a UGC problem" Thread

View our house rules for posts
Post Reply Update Reply Cancel