60%
02 Rank
Progress

The "Help me! I have a UGC problem" Thread

[ Edited ]
519 Replies 4,304 Views edited 08-06-2011
08 Jun 2011
By thshdw

Have a UGC problem that you need to solve? That "thing" you want to do with the UGC tools just not working? Use this thread to get help!

I'll get the problem solving started by providing the answer to a question that user "augster1011" posted on the beta forums. augster1011 wanted Different Choice Briefs - "trigger something, e.g. an explosion, and have that cancel out a brief that would normally activate from a volume switch"

The solution to this problem is with switches! See this flowchart.

A switch set to disable will pass its input till a "disabler" happens, like a bomb going off. Connecting the bomb's explosion event to the disable switch prevents whatever is on the other side of the disable switch from running. In this case it would prevent brief "Bomb did not go off" from showing.

A switch set to enable will NOT pass its input till an "enabler" happens, like a bomb going off. Connecting the bomb's explosion event to the enable switch passes input to whatever is on the other side of the enable switch. In this case it would enable brief "Boom!" causing it show on screen

Switches are very powerful tools that can give your missions alternate paths and choices.

0 Kudos
LABELS:
View our house rules for posts
Post Reply Update Reply Cancel

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

Cole_MacGrath

80%
02 Rank
Progress
Cole_MacGrath
Accepted Solution

Hey,

Thanks for getting this thread started! We'll have a couple branches set up soon to streamline various UGC discussions, but for now this is a good place for help.

-Tim M

-Sucker Punch UGC Support

0 Kudos

Re: The "Help me! I have a UGC problem" Thread

[ Edited ]

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

tree-policy7

41%
02 Rank
Progress
tree-policy7
Accepted Solution

Hello.  I wanted to use objects (people or things) to end the mission and have the player respawn or teleport to new locations.
I have been successful with having the player respawn at one point, die and respawn at another new checkpoint.
When I get past two checkpoints, I haven't been able to add a third checkpoint correctly.
I have a monitor set for when mission starts and no checkpoints have been triggered.
The second monitor is:
when mission starts and current checkpoint is checkpoint (which is the first checkpoint)
I try setting the next monitor to mission starts and checkpoint 2 is current checkpoint and then it doesn't really work correctly (of the way I'd like it to)
Please help me.  I have looked for videos and text but have not been able to find the correct info.  Thanks!

0 Kudos

Re: The "Help me! I have a UGC problem" Thread multiple checkpoint (3 or more) questions

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

IMM00RTAL

21%
02 Rank
Progress
IMM00RTAL
Accepted Solution

This may seem simple but I cant figure this one out to save my life. How do I make a touch the ground fail logic?

0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

thshdw

60%
02 Rank
Progress
thshdw
Accepted Solution

Use the volume tool. I'm guessing you want this to work with Cole. Edit the volume tool so the volume area is large / wide enough for the area you expect Cole to fall through. Set the Volume to "On Entry:", and make sure that you set the volume's "who" to Cole. Connect the Volume to the mission fail tool.

0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

GhostNeurosis

53%
02 Rank
Progress
GhostNeurosis
Accepted Solution

Is there any way to set up a dot on the map to direct the player to?

0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

National_Kato

22%
02 Rank
Progress
National_Kato
Accepted Solution

Hopefully an easy solution here: How do I award experience at the end of a mission?

I have a very simple rooftop 'ring race' utilizing an existing Sucker Punch template, but I've changed the path of the race.  All starting and ending logic boxes are still intact.  Except it doesn't award XP for success.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

0 Kudos

Awarding Experience

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

bnfdhfdhfd

90%
03 Rank
Progress
bnfdhfdhfd
Accepted Solution

To set a waypoint on the map, place a single Path Point to the desired location and place it in its own group. Use an object modifier to set a map icon for the group you placed the path point in. Path points are invisible during a mission, so the player will only see the map icon.

0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

Cole_MacGrath

80%
02 Rank
Progress
Cole_MacGrath
Accepted Solution
We actually have a tutorial video on creating Waypoints on our official YouTube channel. ;) You can find it linked below.

If you subscribe to inFAMOUS2UGC on YouTube, you'll be able to find our tutorials as we continue rolling them out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J5Fp9ZjPlRQ&feature=channel_video_title

Thanks!

-Tim M
-Sucker Punch Production UGC Support
0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

punkcorefett

31%
02 Rank
Progress
punkcorefett
Accepted Solution

How do I set up waves of enemies? I am trying to with a Monitor and an object modifier that states that when my "group 1" is incapacitated or defeated add "group 2" to the world. I would think this would work  but both groups start off in the world, is there a way I can have my group 2 and all subsequent groups be hidden until the previous group is defeated??  Thanks

0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

bnfdhfdhfd

90%
03 Rank
Progress
bnfdhfdhfd
Accepted Solution

Set a listener to Mission Starts, then object modifiers to remove each enemy group from the world. Then, set  listeners and object modifiers to add a group to the world when the previous group is incapacitated or defeated.

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

punkcorefett

31%
02 Rank
Progress
punkcorefett
Accepted Solution

How do you set a listener? what Core Logic is that under?? and thanks for the help

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

bnfdhfdhfd

90%
03 Rank
Progress
bnfdhfdhfd
Accepted Solution

I don't know if that's what it's really called, I think it was in the beta. Anyway, it's the logic box that looks like a set of headphones.

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

Cole_MacGrath

80%
02 Rank
Progress
Cole_MacGrath
Accepted Solution
By "Listener," he actually means a Monitor.

So it goes Monitor [Mission Starts] > Object Modifier [Remove from World]; [Desired Group].

Hope this helps!

-Tim M
-Sucker Punch UGC Support
0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

bnfdhfdhfd

90%
03 Rank
Progress
bnfdhfdhfd
Accepted Solution

Monitor! I always make that mistake. I'm not sure where I got listener from, I guess I saw the headphones and thought it should be listening. :smileytongue:

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

fadi002

55%
02 Rank
Progress
fadi002
Accepted Solution

How do I make a volume thing stay on a moving object? Is this even possible?

0 Kudos

fadi002's Signature - The Last Of Us
twitteryoutubeNothing

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

e-flat

80%
02 Rank
Progress
e-flat
Accepted Solution

fadi002 wrote:

How do I make a volume thing stay on a moving object? Is this even possible?

Sorry fadi, this is not possible at this time. There are a lot of requests for it though. Maybe it will be added.

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

thshdw

60%
02 Rank
Progress
thshdw
Accepted Solution

punkcorefett wrote:

How do I set up waves of enemies? I am trying to with a Monitor and an object modifier that states that when my "group 1" is incapacitated or defeated add "group 2" to the world. I would think this would work  but both groups start off in the world, is there a way I can have my group 2 and all subsequent groups be hidden until the previous group is defeated??  Thanks

Here is a flowchart of a three wave enemy mission. This flowchart was created during the beta and uses switches to manage the checkpoints. You would not have do this using the new checkpoint system. However this will work and should give you an idea on how a three wave mission could be structured. As bnfdhfdhfd said you want to remove the all the waves at the start and introduce them as the mission progresses.

0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

punkcorefett

31%
02 Rank
Progress
punkcorefett
Accepted Solution
Thanks, its working great!
0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

GhostNeurosis

53%
02 Rank
Progress
GhostNeurosis
Accepted Solution

Thank you for the help! And I will be sure to suscrbe to that channel! :D

One last thing: How would I go about setting two groups to fight each other UNTIL the player attacks one, at which point the attacked group would focus on the player and the enemy group. In this instance, I've got Militia fighting Police and I want to let the player choose which group to attack. So if they attack the Militia, the Police won't attack the player and if the player attacks the Police, the Militia won't attack the player.

0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

thshdw

60%
02 Rank
Progress
thshdw
Accepted Solution

GhostNeurosis wrote:

One last thing: How would I go about setting two groups to fight each other UNTIL the player attacks one, at which point the attacked group would focus on the player and the enemy group. In this instance, I've got Militia fighting Police and I want to let the player choose which group to attack. So if they attack the Militia, the Police won't attack the player and if the player attacks the Police, the Militia won't attack the player.

Switches will help you with this problem. Check out the very first post on this thread, it discusses making choices with switches.
0 Kudos

View our house rules for posts
Post Reply Update Reply Cancel