09 Nov 2011
Playstation Staff

The "What I'm Working On" Thread

24 Replies 174 Views Created 09-11-2011

There's a thread like this on the SP forums. (http://www.suckerpunch.com/smf/index.php?topic=225857.0)

I've had a look through the forums here and I can't find an equivalent, so I'm starting a new one.

This thread is for sharing about what you're currently working on, or thinking of working on for your next / latest UGC project.  For sharing & developing ideas, etc..  Throw them out there and maybe we can make suggestions for each other's creations.  It worked for me with the Status Kuo mission; GameForce had some ideas that helped me to fine tune the story on that one.

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 25 (174 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

Playstation Staff

Re: The "What I'm Working On" Thread

My latest .. today I started on a Mortal Kombat tribute mission.  I have a few ideas for making distinct rounds with increasingly difficult opponents.  The cut scene tool is coming in very handy, and I'm trying to incorporate a 'Continue?' option if you get smacked down.  I'm calling it Mortal Combat  (Kombat with a 'C', for trademark infringement purposes) and it's really a homage to 2D beat-em-ups in general.  So far it's not a particularly challenging mission to make, so I'm quite enjoying the laid back process.

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 25 (170 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 1

Playstation Staff

Yeah, I was just thinking, that collaboration we just did, why didn't something like that happen on the UGC Project Thread? My conlusion was that there are just too many people posting their ideas with no collaboration. There are too many conversations going on at once, so on a large forum like that, the concept of the thread would never work. It's the disorganized nature of a forum thread that makes that idea fundamentally flawed. This forum is a bit quieter, so it might work here though.

Seriously though, has any project that went through that thread actually been collaborated on and finished?

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 25 (168 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 1

Playstation Staff

As I said before, one funny idea for a mission would be a Yo Mama type mission where people tell Yo Mama jokes at eachother  and Cole gets to judge the tournament and pick the winner. Basically it's the Yo Mama show with Cole as Wilmer Valderama. I would do it, except I don't feel like writing Yo Mama jokes.

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 25 (166 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

Playstation Staff

I don't recall any collaborations from that thread either.  Collaborations in general would be quite difficult - mission creation is a pretty solitary pursuit.  Sharing ideas, however .. that has potential.

Not sure how fun to play a Yo Mamma mission would be but it could be funny.  I've never seen the show - must be US only.  Reminds me of a silly idea I had ages ago where you meet a nice swamp monster with personality and he takes you to meet his friends at a local swamp monster disco.  It was going to be called, "Monsters Have Feelings Too."  I never got around to making it.  The idea needs padding out anyway.

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 25 (162 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 1

Playstation Staff

I mean collaboration of ideas, like we did.

The Yo Mama mission would mostly be a spectator mission, like the various "movie" type missions. That's why I went with "funny" rather than "fun to play". The mission's intersest would come from its uniqueness.

The monster mission idea, I might be able to help you with. Are Cole and the corrupted in a relationship, or are they just friends?

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 25 (152 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

Playstation Staff

I have a concept for a mission I'd thought I could get some input on. It involves Cole acting as an EMT/medic, helping rebels, policemen, or people who are injured. Maybe saving them from a burning building. It would be called "Medi-Cole" (I'm pretty proud of it I must say).

I was thinking it would involve using physics to have Cole riding an ambulance to get places. I have a basic concept, but not enough of a plot or gameplay ideas to create a fully working mission. Any ideas?

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 25 (147 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

Playstation Staff

GameForce wrote:
Are Cole and the corrupted in a relationship, or are they just friends?

Just, lol !!

I imagined Cole coming across a swamp monster, smacking him down, then the moster begging for mercy and explaining that he's actually a nice guy, despite the looks.  Cole is taken to a location (warehouse?) where there's a disco going on - swamp monsters dancing the night away.  I also thought about maybe having a 'Blind Date' game show scenario in there somewhere (there was a show called Blind Date in the UK where one guy/girl chooses from three possible partners behind a screen, based only on their answers to questions.)

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 25 (139 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

Playstation Staff

jedicam10 wrote:

I have a concept for a mission I'd thought I could get some input on. It involves Cole acting as an EMT/medic, helping rebels, policemen, or people who are injured. Maybe saving them from a burning building. It would be called "Medi-Cole" (I'm pretty proud of it I must say).

I was thinking it would involve using physics to have Cole riding an ambulance to get places. I have a basic concept, but not enough of a plot or gameplay ideas to create a fully working mission. Any ideas?

Riding the ambulance would probably be quite lame, but you could have an ambulance on-site and healed people could run to it before being removed from the world, as an interesting effect rather than a gameplay mechanic.

I imagine this mission having multiple stages at different locations (eg. in a warehouse)  You could use the new fire effects to create hazards to navigate around.  You have to heal all the people at the location, and each of them has to reach the ambulance, but if they get hurt by the fire you fail.  Part of the challenge could be to kinetic pulse throw a barrel at each patch of flame, which puts it out (ie. removes it from world).  You only have a limited number of barrels, so care must be taken with throwing.  I remember a barrel object in one of the object packs that disintegrates easily - that would be ideal.

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 25 (137 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 1

Playstation Staff

jedicam10 wrote:

Just so you know, I plan on making a Cole-as-a-medic mission too, but it will be nothing like what you would think, so it probably won't be anything like yours at all. Although, I do have a lot of mission ideas right now and don't know which order I will do them in, so it probably won't be out for awhile.

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 25 (129 Views)
0 Kudos