Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 11 of 23 (370 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 10

Playstation Staff

Re: Id announces Doom 3 BFG Edition

ytevo79 wrote:

Sweeet, sounds how it should have been :smileyhappy: Still I enjoyed the game, it just didn't quite have that classic DOOM feel to it though.

I don't think it ever will to be honest. That "classic DOOM feel" I imagine is the same as the feeling of GTA 3 on PS2, or the first Monster Hunter game on PS2, or maybe even the same feeling as sailing an ice breaker through a glacier...

It's the feeling of pushing in a new direction and breaking new ground, and can't be recreated through samey sequels. I personally think iD are over-rated, in much the same way Infinity Ward are/were. They stumbled upon a commercial success but are oblivious to what makes it successful and have continually moved away from the formula in attempts to recreate it. Simply because they don't actually know what the formula is.

Rockstar North on the other hand are fully aware of their formula and continue to reproduce quality in different forms because they are conscious of the underlying abstractions on which that quality is founded.

And that is the difference between a truly great developer and one that lucked into greatness.

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 12 of 23 (366 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 9

Playstation Staff

I meant by it was more Dead Space then Doom. Dark, tight environments, it just lost that fast paced, open space feel that Doom had. I understand that games evolve and move on, but I think Doom 3 was a bit too extreme.

Classed as a reboot rather then a sequel. Unlike Doom 4 which Id have said that like Doom 2, it will take place on Earth, and will feature gameplay more akin to the original Doom games rather than the horror styled gameplay of Doom 3 :smileyhappy:

Either way, you can count me in then :smileyhappy:
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 13 of 23 (363 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 5

Playstation Staff

InfiniteStates wrote:

ytevo79 wrote:

Sweeet, sounds how it should have been :smileyhappy: Still I enjoyed the game, it just didn't quite have that classic DOOM feel to it though.

I don't think it ever will to be honest. That "classic DOOM feel" I imagine is the same as the feeling of GTA 3 on PS2, or the first Monster Hunter game on PS2, or maybe even the same feeling as sailing an ice breaker through a glacier...

It's the feeling of pushing in a new direction and breaking new ground, and can't be recreated through samey sequels. I personally think iD are over-rated, in much the same way Infinity Ward are/were. They stumbled upon a commercial success but are oblivious to what makes it successful and have continually moved away from the formula in attempts to recreate it. Simply because they don't actually know what the formula is.

Rockstar North on the other hand are fully aware of their formula and continue to reproduce quality in different forms because they are conscious of the underlying abstractions on which that quality is founded.

And that is the difference between a truly great developer and one that lucked into greatness.

They should just hire the guys that made Painkiller to make it. Painkiller was essentially what DOOM 3 should haveve been anyway.

TonightWeRide2.jpg

http://socialclub.rockstargames.com/crew/people_of_the_honey

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 14 of 23 (359 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 8

Playstation Staff

I think the Painkiller guys did Bulletstorm.

You should definetly check that one out.
yaster's Streambadge
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 15 of 23 (349 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 9

Playstation Staff

Ha just had to check some youtube vids out, looks pretty good, shame its PC only though by the looks of it.

It was developed by Polish developers People Can Fly, now a subsidiary of Epic Games.
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 16 of 23 (334 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

Playstation Staff

Laugh all you want at the following statement but i only bought this to play Doom 1 and 2!

seriously myself and a mate bought the link cable for the PS1 just so we could link the consolse together for death match and coop! ah those where the days hoofing the spare tv down from upstairs....
Oldies can still be goldies
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 17 of 23 (268 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 10

Playstation Staff

I have never played a DOOM :smileysurprised:
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 18 of 23 (255 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

Playstation Staff

TalllPaul wrote:
I have never played a DOOM :smileysurprised:

shame on you sir!

my copy arrived today btw if anyone is interested, DOOM 1 and 2 are still real fun to play, circle strafing imps in a room full of barrels with a shotty, it never gets old to me.

although its stupid that when you go to play one of the 3 games you have to exit the game to the XMB to start the game again to try another!

doom 3 looks good so far the graphics are not as good as they were built up to be, human heads look a bit edgy to me, im sure it would look better on PC but on PS3 its enough to enjoy it. anyone fancy a deathmatch or coop on doom 1 or 2 :smileyvery-happy:

Oldies can still be goldies
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 19 of 23 (247 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 9

Playstation Staff

I'm in no rush to buy this now I've realised Doom is the original PC versions. I can't play them after playing the much improved '95 version that was on PlayStation with no awful rock music, and better sounds and ambience :smileyhappy:

I might ask for it for Christmas just to see what the improved Doom 3 is like and the extra missions. I never completed Resurrection of Evil either so it saves me digging out my Xbox and playing sub HD as well :smileyhappy:

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 20 of 23 (210 Views)
0 Kudos