Games: War & Shoot 'Em Ups

War & Shoot 'Em Ups: General

War & Shoot 'Em Ups: General

Level 3

Re: Spec Ops The Line next week

I have been quite impressed with the reviews so far, will be buying for sure I think.

Please use plain text.
Message 11 of 22 (160 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 10

DJ91rocks wrote:

Reviews hit today. Here's a brief breakdown from a few sites posted on MCV.

Link

"The first reviews of Spec Ops: The Line have gone live, and critics are clearly impressed with the new approach 2K Games has adopted toward the shooting genre.

"If you’re into shooters then Spec Ops: The Line should be at the top of your list," The Sixth Axis says in its 9/10 reviews. "It blends a brilliant story with strong characters and gameplay mechanics that rival much more established franchises. Yes the difficulty spikes can be a grind, but push on through and you’ll find one of 2012’s best games."

Eurogamer scored it 8/10, adding: "It tries to do something special, and it tries to create something memorable and something strange. In Dubai itself, it genuinely succeeds, perhaps because the reality of the place is already so gaudy, so cloyingly, oppressively weird, that it provides a good hard shove in the right direction before the first bullet's been fired. There are such a lot of shooters these days, and so many tend to blur into each other if you're not careful. This one won't, however - and that's quite an achievement."

CVG also went for 8/10, stating: "While Spec Ops is tonally confused across the board, it's not brainless - snatches of well-paced story and snippets of existential battle-chatter show hearts and minds at work. The higher aspirations don't always pay off, but underneath is an always-entertaining shooter."

Videogamer.com opted for 7/10, concluding: "Yager should be admired for its bravery and effort in building something different - this could so easily have been an entirely generic shooter - but it just doesn't have the fundamentals to back up its grand ideas or the confidence to go completely off the wall and truly stand out from the crowd."

There was another 7/10 from Edge, which said: The first shot has been fired in the battle for a smarter, morally cognisant shooter. The numbers aren’t in its favour and its foes are both relentless and well-armed but, if the genre has taught us anything, that’s never a reason to surrender."

I haven't paid this game much heed, but this review summary puts it on my radar...

Please use plain text.
Message 12 of 22 (158 Views)
Level 1

will give this a miss and pick it up in the bargain bin at xmas as it only has 6 small maps

Please use plain text.
Message 13 of 22 (156 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

x-_vodka_paul_-x wrote:

will give this a miss and pick it up in the bargain bin at xmas as it only has 6 small maps

Im not buying it for multiplayer, it was always going to be similar to every other third person shooter MP out there but its the story that caught my attention

Currently Playing: FIFA 13 / DARK SOULS / BURNOUT PARADISE
Please use plain text.
Message 14 of 22 (153 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 1

ent it then bud

Please use plain text.
Message 15 of 22 (146 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 4

I think multiplayer belongs to COD and battlefield. Almost everyone will buy this for the story as the story is really good according to reviews
Please use plain text.
Message 16 of 22 (142 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

KIERONOO wrote:
I think multiplayer belongs to COD and battlefield. Almost everyone will buy this for the story as the story is really good according to reviews

This is how your comment should have read lol

Currently Playing: FIFA 13 / DARK SOULS / BURNOUT PARADISE
Please use plain text.
Message 17 of 22 (137 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 9

Might pick it up then because the current state of new releases this year is dire!
Please use plain text.
Message 18 of 22 (127 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

I had this on my "too watch" list, and then after watching Total Biscuits ***** is, and the review scores posted earlier, I think I will be picking this up.

Please use plain text.
Message 19 of 22 (123 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 10

dropping the Single Player co-op has caused me to wait for a price drop :smileyvery-happy:

Was quite excited for this and really enjoyed the demo.

|¬_¬|™
Please use plain text.
Message 20 of 22 (118 Views)
0 Kudos