Website and Forum Help, Feedback & Advice

Website and Forum Help, Feedback & Advice

28 Dec 2009
By: Mp3Astra Member 16 Posts
Level 1

Playstationmail.com?

[ Edited ]
24 Replies 8303 Views edited 28-12-2008

I did a search here and didn't surface any results so I thought I'd post this here. I think I received some kind of spam e-mail from a phishing scam that claims to be Playstation. The reason I think this? Nowhere in the email does the sender use my name, it says that I might not have an account and it has a link to a website that does not work, with a key to let them know my email address is active. I'm posting this as a warning but also to receive confirmation that this is indeed spam (which I'm pretty sure it is). Sorry if it's a repost. Actually it is, in the french area I found this: http://community.eu.playstation.com/playstationeu/board/message?board.id=431&message.id=20236&query.... . I dont speak french so...

Here it is:

SUBJECT: Act now to transfer your eu.playstation.com account information to PlayStation Network

BODY:  Don't Miss Out

In November 2008, we introduced a My PlayStation Network page in the PSN section on eu.playstation.com. You can now see which of your friends are online, create an official Portable ID to show your friends your favourite games, and take part in events to suit all tastes by checking out the Events Calendar.

In order to do this, you will need to have a PlayStation®Network account and you can create one of these by visiting eu.playstation.com/sign-up.

If you already have an account at eu.playstation.com and you would like to transfer this information to your PlayStation Network account, you will be given an option to do this automatically when you sign in at eu.playstation.com with your PlayStation Network account details.

Update your PlayStation Network account details now at eu.playstation.com and make the most of PlayStation
eu.playstation.com

http://uk.playstationmail.com/Key=REMOVED

=================================================================================

Please note that this is an automated e-mail, so replies to this address cannot be responded to.

©2008 Sony Computer Entertainment Europe.

eu.playstation.com http://uk.playstationmail.com/Key=REMOVED by me

"PLAYSTATION", "PlayStation", "PlayStation Network", "PlayStation Store", "PlayStation Home", "PS3", "PSP" and "PS2" are registered trademarks of Sony Computer Entertainment Inc. All titles, content, publisher names, trademarks, artwork, and associated imagery are trademarks and/or copyright material of their respective owners. All rights reserved.

Games sold in the United Kingdom are age rated by the independent organisations PEGI and BBFC. To find out more, visit www.pegi.info, www.bbfc.co.uk or www.askaboutgames.com. Age ratings indicate the age for which the game is suitable.

If you signed up at eu.playstation.com you can edit your profile and notification preferences, including unsubscribing, from within your account. Sign In here. http://uk.playstationmail.com/Key=REMOVED by me

If you signed up on PlayStation®Network you can edit your profile and notification preferences, including unsubscribing, from within your account. Sign In here. http://uk.playstationmail.com/Key=REMOVED by me

If you don’t have an eu.playstation.com or PlayStation®Network account and want to unsubscribe, email us here. mailto:unsubscribe@eu.playstationmail.com?subject=Unsubscribe

PlayStation®Network, PlayStation®Store and PlayStation®Home subject to terms of use and not available in all countries and languages. Broadband internet service required. Users are responsible for broadband access fees. Charges apply for some content. Users under 18 require parental consent.

Message Edited by Mp3Astra on 28-12-2008 03:24 PM
Message Edited by Mp3Astra on 28-12-2008 03:24 PM
Please use plain text.
Message 1 of 25 (8,303 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

Re: Playstationmail.com?

That's not a scam or a phishing email. It's legit.
Please use plain text.
Message 2 of 25 (8,293 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 1

Really? Even though it links to a broken website and says that I might not have an account? Wow... I'm not convinced.
Please use plain text.
Message 3 of 25 (8,290 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 1

I guess another reason for my suspicion is that I've never received an email from anywhere other than playstation.com and.net
Please use plain text.
Message 4 of 25 (8,287 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

Mp3Astra wrote:
Really? Even though it links to a broken website and says that I might not have an account? Wow... I'm not convinced.
If you bothered visiting the link it takes you to, https://secure.eu.playstation.com/sign-in/***REMOVED***
Please use plain text.
Message 5 of 25 (8,286 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 1

I didn't bother clicking the link because it looked exactly like a way of checking if one's email address is active. I guess PSN should make their emails more convincing, by including my NAME in emails. Crikey...
Please use plain text.
Message 6 of 25 (8,282 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

It's legit, loads of people are recieving it, it is LEGIT.
I wub moshii :smileysad:
Please use plain text.
Message 7 of 25 (8,281 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 1

Ok, it's legit. It's still a rubbish way of notifying people. I'm super-paranoid about all email as everybody should be: so inconsistency in email addresses and a lack of my own name in the text is always going to set off alarm bells. Thanks for clearing it up, but please, Playstation email people, help those of us who treat every unknown email as a mailbomb.
Please use plain text.
Message 8 of 25 (8,272 Views)
0 Kudos

Re: Playstationmail.com / playstationmail.net ?

Just today I got an email from PlayStation@eu.playstationmail.net saying:

Changes to the way we send you emails
We are in the process of changing our IP address. This is a unique number that identifies all emails sent by PlayStation® and which your email programme uses to identify emails from PlayStation as safe.
In future, we will send you emails containing important service notifications, special offers, product updates and general PlayStation news from eu.playstationmail.net
To continue receiving our latest updates, please update your email preferences to allow images - this will ensure that any emails we send you don't end up in your Spam folder.

If this is genuine, then Sony needs to traing its marketing team better. There's *no way* I'm brave enough to enable picture given the obvious incompetence of the above message.

If it's not genuine, and it's data from the breach this year then Sony needs to get these guys shut down fast.

Please use plain text.
Message 9 of 25 (4,085 Views)
0 Kudos

Re: Playstationmail.com / playstationmail.net ?

Got that myself. The sender looks convincingly fake. The naming scheme is a popular phishing one.

If it were from Sony they'd use a @playstation.com one. They'd also never ask that people enable images (and with bogus reasoning), seeing as that's a common attack vector to infect target machines.

Please use plain text.
Message 10 of 25 (3,789 Views)
0 Kudos