04 Jun 2011
Playstation Staff

AI cheating horribly...

[ Edited ]
16 Replies 1,160 Views edited 04-06-2011

...during teh "Frenzy" event. Specifically, the bottom-right cell - the Sebenco Climb Single Race.

I literally can't finish above 8th place in this race.

EVER.

I've got almost straight gold medals up to that point, along with one silver.

At the beginning of the race, the AI that I start beside just keeps ramming me no matter what, and even if I hit the first speed boost and he doesn't, he races off like it was the other way around. And the ONLY way I even have the faintest hope of coming close to matching the speed of the slowest guy on the track is when I'm on a speed boost line and they're not, or when I'm using a speed boost powerup.

So I get to the "almost caught up" point, and the two guys in the back line up and drop mines which literally cover the entire track. And if I hit one, I stall like I hit a bomb instead.

If I manage to overtake a guy, then I miraculously fail to pick up the next powerup I run over, and just getting shot in the back.

Anyone else having this problem?

Or is it just me?

And if anyone else had it, can you tell me how to MAKE IT STOP???

EDIT: I managed to come 7th. By destroying one of the AI ships. I hit it with a full batch of missiles and it didn't slow, then I got a plasma, and that shot it down.

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 17 (1,160 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 4

Playstation Staff

Re: AI cheating horribly...

And another one...

I came 7th again.

I'd managed to barely scrape into 6th place near the end of the race, and picked up a well-timed speed boost, which I used to overtake another person right before the finish line...

Except that somehow overtaking someone when I was in 6th put me BACK a place...

As I watched 3 ships cross the line BEHIND me.

Seriously, *****???

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 17 (1,153 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 1

Playstation Staff

I only just got Wipeout because of the welcome back pack, but I have had a similar experience.

I was playing the original game, getting golds flawlessly through all of the levels. Until I reached a certain race where it was almost impossible. Like you I constantly finished 8th. Managed to steal through to 6th some times and rarely to third.

I don't remember the name of the level but it was extremely difficult. I eventually managed to finish 1st with the Mirage racer. I felt so damn unstoppable when I finished it until I exit back to the menu and noticed that it said 'Novice' :smileytongue:

Boy do I feel like a noob now.

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 17 (1,130 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 4

Playstation Staff

Thanks for reminding me.

I forgot to mention... This was on Novice for me as well.

And I've tried with and without pilot assist.

Also worth mentioning, on that race, and any of the races I'm yet to get a medal on in the HD circuit (other than ones I can't get to, because obviously, I can't test them yet), the AI seem to be able to spontaneously boost at any time - it's not a barrel roll boost (which the AI never use on Novice anyway, as far as I can tell), and it's not them using a speed boost powerup - it's like they're able to hit a speed pad without actually needing a speed pad to be there.

And they'll provably gang up on me.

I watch one who's running over powerup pads without picking anything up, so I know he has a powerup, and he's sitting right behind the next AI racer, not using his powerup to slow them. But as soon as I overtake, out comes the missile/rocket/perfectly aimed plasma to knock me back into 8th.

If I then start gaining ground back before he can pick up another powerup, the 2 guys ahead of him will drop back, line up together, and drop a double-line of mines blocking the whole track, or one will line the track with mines while the other drops a bomb on the best-place speed pad on the track. Specifically lining up to AVOID HITTING OTHER AI with their weapons.

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 17 (1,115 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 4

Playstation Staff

I've now come to the conclusion that I probably wouldn't be able to beat it anyway.

It was the first "Single Race" mode option I've played, and having played two others in which I'm also unable to place, I've decided not to worry too much. It's still frustrating, though - the others I don't get the game cheating to hold me back further, and I can comfortably take 5th or 6th place most of the time. I still struggle to break 8th place in that one. And to prove to myself it's not the track and the speed causing the problem, I've gotten practice by running the speedlap on the same track at the same speed until I can get consistent golds. Still can't do better than 7th place.

It's still frustrating, but I"m no longer going to keep beating my head against it.

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 17 (1,077 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 11

Playstation Staff

Weird, I saw this thread before I'd started the game and thought nothing of it, but having got to the race in question I now know what you mean. I'd had no real issues in any of the other races but when I got to this one I definitely noticed a difficulty spike.

Dunno why but it felt like a few of the races in GT5 where it was just impossible to catch up with the bulk of the other racers. All I can suggest is keep trying - it depends a lot on whether you happen to hit mines/bombs or are targeted by others. Barrel roll at every opportunity and hope you get some boosts.

I eventually grabbed 1st after switching from Assegai to Feisar, think the higher handling helped with the tight corners, but it was still by no means an easy win.

Please use plain text.
Message 6 of 17 (1,046 Views)
Level 1

Playstation Staff

Ahh Sebenco, my old enemy!
I had alot of trouble with this one on Harimau, cause I kept getting eliminated.
So I switched to Triakis and won first try.
There is still a dent in my chair from my 15th try of this race!

I love me some Coke every now and then, Dr Pepper however...
Please use plain text.
Message 7 of 17 (1,037 Views)
Level 3

Playstation Staff

I wouldn't say that the AI cheat, its just practice, practice, practice until you know every corner of the track plus weapons/speedpads.  Look out for boosting hotspots (check youtube for pro vids).  speedlap mode is perfect for sinking into cos you can do lots of uninterrupted laps.

Rathboneski
Please use plain text.
Message 8 of 17 (1,025 Views)
Level 4

Playstation Staff

I gave up on the game for a while (mainly because I got into Brink and back into Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood and forgot about it), but I picked it up for a little while last night, and tried this race again.

Will take all the advice here if I stick with it. Thanks for the suggestions, guys.

I've already been using a high-handling ship though, and I haven't been eliminated, so I'm not sure armour will be a major consideration. Will try switching to a few differnt options and see if and how my results change. Got gold in a speedrun on my second lap doing the same track in the same speed class, and can run a gold on every lap of that speedrun when replaying it, so I'm fairly confident I CAN make the run - just not with the AI consistently (and provably) ignoring each other to focus their powerups on me. There can be two of them, side-by-side, both dropping mines in a pattern I literally don't have the option of dodging. Often I'll see that both ships closest to me will be running over powerup pads without picking them up, so I KNOW they both have something, but neither is using them on each other. As soon as I overtake one, they hit me with a missile or rockets, then overtakes me back, AND the other opponent (whether that one was hit or not, they slow down), and when I overtake that opponent, they do the same thing, and usually the one that had done it previously has now picked up another powerup to use on me.

And I wasn't exaggerating saying that in this race, and ONLY this race, if I hit a single mine (just one, not the whole line) I get literally stopped dead like I hit a bomb. I can also watch an AI get hit by a missile or multiple rockets and keep going without any drop in speed. I've been in 7th, dropped a bomb, heard it go off almost immediately, then been overtaken by the guy I JUST DROPPED A BOMB IN FRONT OF. And in this race, and ONLY this race, I can run over powerups and not get them, while the AI will sometimes pick up a powerup they were a full ship-width away from. I've also seen powerup pads turn off as I'm about to reach them, without anyone else nearby who could have picked them up.

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 17 (968 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 10

Playstation Staff

Rathboneski wrote:

I wouldn't say that the AI cheat...

Then you'd be wrong :smileywink:

The AI cheat horrendously on Wipeout. Weapons hardly effect them, they can spawn weapons and boosts at will and disregard the limitations of their vehicles to drive at the player speed + 1, even around corners.

Want proof? (Or an easy way to get the Arcade Perfect trophy?) Set up an elite single race on whatever track and observe the battering you get. Then do the same race, but split screen and leave player two idle...

Please use plain text.
Message 10 of 17 (935 Views)