View Original Post
13 Sep 2013
By Envisager

Envisager

• Beta Tester
95%
10 Rank
Progress

Welcome to the Beyond: Two Souls Discussion Boards!

[ Edited ]
65 Replies 2,940 Views edited 13-09-2013
13 Sep 2013
By Envisager

beyond.png

Welcome to the Beyond: Two Souls Discussion Boards!

The latest game from the amazingly talented team at Quantic Dreams is upon us and we thought it deserved its very own home in the forums.

Those of you that played it predecessor 'Heavy Rain' will appreciate that it's a very much a story driven game so please do avoid posting anything that may spoil the game for anyone else.

You can hide text in spoiler tags by highlighting the text/images you wish to place in a spoiler and selecting the following button from the post editing screen:

spoiler.jpg

Thank you in advance!

I'll leave you with this video interview with David Cage filmed at a recent Bafta Gaming Lecture.

0 Kudos
View our house rules for posts
Post Reply Update Reply Cancel

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Award Winner
/16

strangeplaice

• Award Winner
94%
10 Rank
Progress
strangeplaice
Accepted Solution

It looks amazing, however I really think everybody wants to see a little more before they make any judgements.

If we decide now, we'd put ourselves in these categories:

1) It's made by Quantic Dreams who made Heavy Rain, therefore it'll be the greatest game ever! - Over-hyping it to impossible levels, ending up disappointed because it doesn't do the dishes while you play.
OR
2) It's the difficult second game, therefore it'll be awful - Dismissing without giving it a chance. :(

I want to see moar gameplay and videos etc! :P And I think we've all learned from the games of last year not to overhype sequels (even spiritual ones) ;)

Re: BEYOND: Two Souls

[ Edited ]

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Beta Tester
/16

mattsimmo

• Beta Tester
97%
12 Rank
Progress
mattsimmo
Accepted Solution
was pleasantly surprised by heavy rain. didn't think i'd enjoy a game where it tells you to press button XYZ etc at a certain time. i tried the demo and enjoyed so got the game :)

looks like this could be a good one too. as above, will await further details as and when they emerge.

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Beta Tester
/16

TalllPaul

• Beta Tester
97%
11 Rank
Progress
TalllPaul
Accepted Solution
Although I haven't played a lot of Heavy Rain, a lot meaning not past the demo, I didn't really fall in love with it. It did hammer the nail on the head with what it set out to do though with the narrative immersing story heavy game with drop dead gorgeous graphics but, again, maybe cos of the demo, it didn't really grab my attention.

Beyond seems to be more of the same to be honest so far apart from having the cute Ellen Page :D They have even borrowed the control icons from Heavy Rain.
0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Award Winner
/16

strangeplaice

• Award Winner
94%
10 Rank
Progress
strangeplaice
Accepted Solution

@TalllPaul wrote:
Although I haven't played a lot of Heavy Rain, a lot meaning not past the demo, I didn't really fall in love with it. It did hammer the nail on the head with what it set out to do though with the narrative immersing story heavy game with drop dead gorgeous graphics but, again, maybe cos of the demo, it didn't really grab my attention.

Beyond seems to be more of the same to be honest so far apart from having the cute Ellen Page :D They have even borrowed the control icons from Heavy Rain.

This is really why I feel I need to say more. A demo may be all it takes to sell the concept to me :)

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Award Winner
/16

kiwiatlarge

• Award Winner
93%
06 Rank
Progress
kiwiatlarge
Accepted Solution

I'm not watching the gameplay video... :Lol: .... Sorry, for a game style where bubble wrapping all things that once known cannot be unknown, I have to take faith that after Fahreinheit and Heavy Rain, that it will work..

Haven't played the former much... I did download it leading up to Heavy Rain.. bits of it were fantastic (the opening bar scene) and bits of it not so, and the QTEs don't hold up compared to Heavy Rain... but Cage really changed the landscape with HR..  the QTEs work for what you are trying to achieve, and flow naturally with the character actions and movements... and the story/presentation on the first walk through the game was something completely else... My only nitpick was the story was a little cliche'd in parts and the multi-ending direction of it made some of the flashbacks a wee bit contradictory... but that's what happens when you play the stories of 4 protagonists and then have the predictable twist ending...

Anyway... take the pedigree of Heavy Rain, add some L.A Noire technology, and one thing is sure... Quantic will have a game that people will be talking about... even if it is via inevitable 'omg I wanted to play a game not a movie' threads...

0 Kudos

Remember when I said I'd kill u last?? .... I LIIIIED!!
Uncharted Quadruple Platinum Club, 2008-12

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Beta Tester
/16

ytevo79

• Beta Tester
95%
11 Rank
Progress
ytevo79
Accepted Solution

I love Quantic Dreams direction of playing a 'video game' (I hate the term interactive movie) in a slightly different way to the normal way :) Its a refreshing break.

I'm shocked they are using the Heavy Rain icons though as mentioned in the preview linked below, but I hope this is just for demonstration purposes and the final game will differ. As much as I loved Heavy Rain I don't want to be reminded of it thanks.

If you've played Heavy Rain then you know what to expect from the gameplay mechanics really. I really cannot wait.

GameCentrals behind closed doors E3 preview if you want to get a bit more of an understanding about the game.

http://www.metro.co.uk/tech/games/901455-beyond-two-souls-preview-ghost-story

[ Edited ]

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Beta Tester
/16

Ellie87

• Beta Tester
87%
05 Rank
Progress
Ellie87
Accepted Solution

I'm currently playing catch up in regards to checking out all the reveals at E3, but I've finally had a proper chance to look at this game, and on first impressions it looks fantastic!

I played Heavy Rain until I was about half way through (I'd already seen most of the game due to watching someone else play it so I knew what would happen in the story etc :smileysad:) and I really liked it. Admittedly it was weird playing a game where I didn't really have to do much other than run around and follow button prompts, but like others have said, it was a refereshing change!

If BEYOND: Two Souls is anything like Heavy Rain I'm sure it will be a great game, I'm really looking forward to gettting my hands on this one when it's released.

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

KIERONOO

94%
04 Rank
Progress
KIERONOO
Accepted Solution
Quantic dream have refreshed gaming and how we play the game and I think more companies should do it. Heavy rain is one of the best games this generation and this game will raise the bar even higher, from graphics alone this game looks amazing.

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

GroundBreaker91

96%
02 Rank
Progress
GroundBreaker91
Accepted Solution

@KIERONOO wrote:
Quantic dream have refreshed gaming and how we play the game and I think more companies should do it. Heavy rain is one of the best games this generation and this game will raise the bar even higher, from graphics alone this game looks amazing.

I definitely would'nt say it was one of the best games this generation, it was one of the most unique games and it was very good but not one of the best

0 Kudos

Currently Playing: FIFA 13 / DARK SOULS / BURNOUT PARADISE

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

ansteye

90%
04 Rank
Progress
ansteye
Accepted Solution

Loved heavy rain...

but Ellen page really grinds my gears.

0 Kudos

photo titel_derek4.png

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Beta Tester
/16

Wretched_Hawk

• Beta Tester
94%
10 Rank
Progress
Wretched_Hawk
Accepted Solution

Watch the film 'Super'.

It may change your opinion of her.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5pam2T571pQ

Flying High!

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

ansteye

90%
04 Rank
Progress
ansteye
Accepted Solution

seen it, i cant stand her, ever since hard candy. and from then on when i hear her voice IM LIKE ARGH    GO AWAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY.

seriously want this game but think im going to have to drink alot to get through it.

0 Kudos

photo titel_derek4.png

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Beta Tester
/16

Wretched_Hawk

• Beta Tester
94%
10 Rank
Progress
Wretched_Hawk
Accepted Solution

I'm in shock now :P

Flying High!

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

Legendary_Vicki

93%
08 Rank
Progress
Legendary_Vicki
Accepted Solution
I cannot wait for this. It looks fantastic! :Thumbs:
0 Kudos

FFXIV Server - Gilgamesh.

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

GroundBreaker91

96%
02 Rank
Progress
GroundBreaker91
Accepted Solution

People say 'i want to play a game not an interactive movie' but i actually want to play an interactive movie, Heavy Rain showed what you can do on the PS3 in terms of character models, animation's and storytelling (Uncharted aswell) and the end result was a great game but it could also have been called a great movie

Im hoping Quantic Dream improve on what made Heavy Rain so memorable but also add in extra new things that could make this game of the year in 2013 because so far i havent seen any games that could even compete with it

0 Kudos

Currently Playing: FIFA 13 / DARK SOULS / BURNOUT PARADISE

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Beta Tester
/16

Wretched_Hawk

• Beta Tester
94%
10 Rank
Progress
Wretched_Hawk
Accepted Solution

0 Kudos

Flying High!

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

nx13

99%
06 Rank
Progress
nx13
Accepted Solution

Looks good, Heavy Rain is/one of my favourite games on PS3, so lets hope this is a contender for my top spot!

My only concern is that it will be to samey, and I'll of tired myself of this type of genre with Heavy Rain already, and will just be bored with this... but I won't know till I try it!

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Beta Tester
/16

Wretched_Hawk

• Beta Tester
94%
10 Rank
Progress
Wretched_Hawk
Accepted Solution

Gamescom 2012: Beyond's script is 2,000 pages long

"First up, Cage confirmed that he penned the entire script for the game, which clocks in at a massive 2,000 pages. Unsurprisingly, this resulted in a hefty amount of lines for the cast to memorize."

"“This game is not about paranormal events. It’s about relationships, growing, and about how the different moments in your life define who you are. It’s about death, about something that will happen to all of you here one day. It’s about emotions people feel, how they think, how they act and how they fear death – about what lies beyond on the other side," he said."

To read the full article: http://www.psu.com/a016592/Gamescom-2012--Beyonds-script-is-2000-pages-long

0 Kudos

Flying High!

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Beta Tester
/16

Wretched_Hawk

• Beta Tester
94%
10 Rank
Progress
Wretched_Hawk
Accepted Solution

Hi everyone,

Just dropping a few updates, news and links in here! Enjoy!! Also I've slightly updated the first post in this thread, if there is ever anything you reckon should feature in that first post then just let me know!

David Cage: Quantic Dream’s Games “Cannot be Collaborative Works”

http://www.playstationlifestyle.net/2012/09/04/david-cage-quantic-dreams-games-cannot-be-collaborati...

David Cage wants you to only play Beyond: Two Souls once

http://www.psu.com/a016693/David-Cage-wants-you-to-only-play-Beyond--Two-Souls-once

"Play it once and do not play it again!" he said. "You can play again if you want, but I think the best way to enjoy the game is to make choices and never know what would have happened."

10 Things You Ought To Know About Beyond: Two Souls
http://gamingbolt.com/10-things-you-ought-to-know-about-beyond-two-souls

David Cage: 'I remember how scared we were'

http://www.videogamer.com/ps3/heavy_rain/news/david_cage_i_remember_how_scared_we_were.html

0 Kudos

Flying High!

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Award Winner
/16

kiwiatlarge

• Award Winner
93%
06 Rank
Progress
kiwiatlarge
Accepted Solution

@Wretched_Hawk wrote:

David Cage wants you to only play Beyond: Two Souls once

http://www.psu.com/a016693/David-Cage-wants-you-to-only-play-Beyond--Two-Souls-once

"Play it once and do not play it again!" he said. "You can play again if you want, but I think the best way to enjoy the game is to make choices and never know what would have happened."

It's funny... I felt Heavy Rain was much more memorable approaching it that way... I still think of my very first, spoiler free run through as being "MY" version of the events of the game... and I'm sad to say it didn't work out favourable at all, due to one bad slip of controls on one chapter, and one bad decision in another... lol...

Of course.... curiosity, replayablity, and the quest for Platinum trophies crept in, so naturally I've now pretty much explored every option of the game...

I wonder though.. does this mean Mr Cage doesn't want us targeting trophies?

0 Kudos

Remember when I said I'd kill u last?? .... I LIIIIED!!
Uncharted Quadruple Platinum Club, 2008-12
View our house rules for posts
Post Reply Update Reply Cancel