FeelgHood

21%
02 Rank
Progress

Black Ops not working after patch 1.06

65 Replies 6,615 Views Created 26-01-2011
26 Jan 2011
By FeelgHood

SO yeah as the title says, I've been having some trouble recently ever since I patched to 1.06 from 1.05 for COD: Black Ops.

Whenever the game loads before all the treyarch intro things, there are these sounds that play.. about three times. THese sounds are pretty similar to those that are played whenever you are try to start play on the multiplayer side (I think it's from whenever you see the box that says "downloading content" before you connect to the servers).

Furthermore, i can't skip to the main menu of the game until half way through the cinematics involving the woman saying those numbers. My ps3 won't reaad the hard drive up until this point and i can't skip the treyarch intro thing.

But here's where the trouble begins, whenever i try to play online, it just won't connect to the black ops servers. Usually it scans/reads the HDD before you can actually connect but i observed on my ps3 that it actually doesn't do this. I've tried deleting every bit of Black Ops in my ps3 account and i've even re-updated black ops. I've restarted my router and switched my ps3 on and off...

So if someone could provide an answer, that would be greatly appreciated.

0 Kudos
LABELS:
View our house rules for posts
Post Reply Update Reply Cancel

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

fi8767

96%
09 Rank
Progress
fi8767
Accepted Solution

@johnny12983 wrote:
The only thing left you can do is delete all black ops data and do a full system restore. This takes about 4 hrs and 45 min. If you do this make sure you delete game data every time before you turn ps3 off. This will help it from measing up again. I suggest you look around online because there are ready some people signing up for a class action lawsuit against the developers.claiming false advertising as to the games reliability and stating this is more of a free testing for the developer than an acuall game. I don't know how much you keep up with black ops news but after a report came out about the stability of the last update they released this one 5 hrs. Later. Funny how that works they get bad press rush new update and its even worse. I'm sure the group filing the suit would love to have story like yours. Because the more news that gets out about this the faster it gets fixed.

I wouldnt go as extreme as to "system restore" and call a corrupt HDD yet. He still may have a less serious problem.

0 Kudos

Re: Black Ops not working after patch 1.06

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

johnny12983

38%
02 Rank
Progress
johnny12983
Accepted Solution
I have already done a full restore and I still have to delete update every time the problem is defiantly the update I would use this as a last resort. But its the only way I can get mine to work.
0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

fi8767

96%
09 Rank
Progress
fi8767
Accepted Solution

You need to system restore every time you need to patch?

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

johnny12983

38%
02 Rank
Progress
johnny12983
Accepted Solution
No once I did a full restore I only have to delete update to make it work if I don't delete update it just freezes up.
0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

fi8767

96%
09 Rank
Progress
fi8767
Accepted Solution

So do other downloads and patches work fine for you?

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

johnny12983

38%
02 Rank
Progress
johnny12983
Accepted Solution
No problem with other games. It just looks up after I turn the ps3 off. I can play all day but if I turn it off and don't delete update then it locks up every time. I even tried downloading update on 3 different networks to make sure the router wasn't blocking anything and I still have the same problem.
0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

johnny12983

38%
02 Rank
Progress
johnny12983
Accepted Solution
Try to play another online game to see if its just black ops are if its you're system. It is possible that the update could have corrupted you're hard drive.if it did the only thing you can do is a full system restore.even then depending where in the system it faulted out. It may not fix if it attached encoding in a system device instead of the hard drive.because the system restore reformates the hard drive only. It does not check drivers. It only reads to make sure they are there it does not read for any strings are encoding that may have been added on causing you're system to fault out.
0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

whiskey13

28%
02 Rank
Progress
whiskey13
Accepted Solution

This still didn't work for me.  As soon as I choose CIRCLE to cancel the download my screen goes black and the Playstation freezes requiring me to reset it.  

This game is a piece of $h!t.  Treyarch and Activision should be embarrassed for putting out such a poor product.  I can't wait for SOCOM.  I'm returning this waste of money.

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

donw12345

25%
02 Rank
Progress
donw12345
Accepted Solution

So I called Activision and talked to their tech support because Black Ops wouldn't load after patch 1.06. I had the same problems reported by others in this thread.  It didn't matter whether I was online or offline. What would happen is it would get right to the part where it looked like the map was about to start and it would get stuck with a black screen. I tried to delete game data and then reload the patch, all without success.

Here's what Activision support suggested AND IT WORKED.

1. Delete Black Ops game data.

2. Try to load Black Ops, when prompted to install patch press "O" to quit.

3. Bypassing the patch will automatically sign you out of PS network.

4. Verify that game plays without patch 1.06 (if not, game DVD might be scratched).

5. Connect PS3 directly to your internet modem. Don't go through wireless router, or any other router. Activision has said there is a problem with the firewall on some of the wireless routers. It looks like it loads patch 1.06 okay, but it isn't loading it successfully.

6. Once connected directly to your internet provider, login to PS network. You will be prompted to install patch 1.06. Install it now.

7. After you've tested that the game plays,  you can disconnect the cable from your internet provider and reconnect to the PS network the way you were before.

7. Play the game!!! I'm finally able to kill Zombies again!!!

I'm an in my 40's gamer. Been hooked since I first got my Atari. I was really ***** at Activision for breaking my favorite game, but I'm smiling again! I hope this fix works for everyone. GOOD LUCk.

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

whiskey13

28%
02 Rank
Progress
whiskey13
Accepted Solution

donw12345:

This actually worked.  Thanks for doing the leg work.  

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

Miokovic19

24%
02 Rank
Progress
Miokovic19
Accepted Solution

I tried doing that, the game read the HDD at the spot where it normally should, (instead of later when the problem first occured), but the game still froze/lagged really bad, as it usually would.

Any ideas?

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

L_Mach

42%
02 Rank
Progress
L_Mach
Accepted Solution

I also followed the instructions and ended up with the same results, failure...  

Any other ideas or answers would be greatly appreciated.

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Beta Tester
/16

skells22

• Beta Tester
96%
06 Rank
Progress
skells22
Accepted Solution

I having issues as well. just can not get to play online on this since this patch came around on FFA or anything!

0 Kudos

PSN = skells22

XBL = breezyskells2

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

givinr23198879

45%
02 Rank
Progress
givinr23198879
Accepted Solution

There seems to be still some lingering freezing/lagging issues once you get online....I have posted a method to get you online and playing( and the method was repeated above...).  If the lagging is causing you stress....turn off the game and relax.  For now I'm online shooting laggy bullets like the rest of you....I'm just happy to be online and not staring at a black screen when the patch didn't load.

I don't have to delete the game data everytime.  I cancelled the download while the game loads, then when you go to 'playstation network' menu it will tell you to download it.  This is when I downloaded the update, I have had no problems getting into the game or online.  Sometimes it lags, sometimes not.....Sometimes i get kicked, sometimes not.......Its better than being bored....

Cheers

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

L_Mach

42%
02 Rank
Progress
L_Mach
Accepted Solution

givinr23198879

I have followed your instructions, with no luck.  I have also tried the method suggested by donw12345.  neither of these have worked.  I have verified that I play fine without the patch. I download the patch at the screen for multiplayer.  And I still freeze, this freezing isn't once in a while, it isn't lag.  I freeze everytime I try to play MP.  Everytime, every game type. 

Anyone else have any ideas?

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

pauljonaughton

22%
02 Rank
Progress
pauljonaughton
Accepted Solution
Just happened to me last week. Exact same issue. Are they trying to 'traffic' us over to their next offering? Or have they fixed it? Any update?
0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

vespid82

26%
02 Rank
Progress
vespid82
Accepted Solution

I am having this EXACT same problem. I finally downloaded the 1.06 patch to play with some friends and now it won't even load the game! I hit X with the game selected, the screen flickers a few times and then just sit there black until I hold down the power button or eject the disc. 

I have already deleted the game data utility and that didn't do a damn thing.

Anyone have a solution that DOESN'T require me to reformat my hard drive and end up losing multiple seasons of TV shows and movies I have on here?!

Nice job, Activision and Treyarch... 

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

fi8767

96%
09 Rank
Progress
fi8767
Accepted Solution

@vespid82 wrote:

I am having this EXACT same problem. I finally downloaded the 1.06 patch to play with some friends and now it won't even load the game! I hit X with the game selected, the screen flickers a few times and then just sit there black until I hold down the power button or eject the disc. 

I have already deleted the game data utility and that didn't do a damn thing.

Anyone have a solution that DOESN'T require me to reformat my hard drive and end up losing multiple seasons of TV shows and movies I have on here?!

Nice job, Activision and Treyarch... 

You could ring Act/Trey's customer support?

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

L_Mach

42%
02 Rank
Progress
L_Mach
Accepted Solution

Here is my discussion with ACTIVISION.

Customer01/31/2011 07:09 PM 
Have you downloaded the latest Sony PS3 firmware, 3.56?

Of course I did. It isn't even an option to not download it and go on to the PSN.

"This is likely an issue with your console or a setting you choose as if this were an issue with the patch, everyone would have it. ":

What kind of a statement is this. Didn't you read that I got a brand new system?
I had an 80 Gig. It YOLD after two weeks of Black ops. I got a Brand New one from best buy on November 25th. I played black ops from Nov. 25th until PATCH 1.06 came out and then I could no longer play.

I didn't do ANYTHING except download YOUR patch. That's right I didn't adjust any settings, not even one. I download the patch and then all of a sudden I cannot play.

So then let's go back to how it is my system. Well, I thought maybe possibly it was my system so what I did to confirm that it was NOT my system is I returned my PS3 (still under Best Buy's Holiday return policy) and got a BRAND NEW one. That's right fresh out of the box. I plug it in and the first thing I have to do once I connect to the PSN, download firmware 3.56. Can't go further if I don't.

I then let the ps3 set itself up and I start Black ops. It also requires me to download the patch before I can play online. So I do. And just as expected the game has the same problems.

Lets Review so that the next person who responds doesn't make anymore silly comments like "its a problem with my system or else everyone would have the problem."

Check Disk for cleanliness and scratches. DONE

Delete Patch Data and reinstall. DONE

Unplug system from Router and try to reinstall patch without router between isp and console. (this was suggested by you in this question set) DONE.

Try Disk on another machine. KIND OF (took to gamestop and they played it for me, they had no problems with the disk running, this is because they have no internet and hadn't installed patch 1.06. My game works fine if I don't install patch 1.06)

Buy a new disk, just in case I can't see good enough to tell if the disk is scratched or dirty. DONE

Reformat PS3 in case problem with corrupt data on HDD. DONE

Return new PS3 and get another new one. DONE.

I have done all of these things and still have had no luck.

As far as my system goes it is not the problem.

If you are going to blame it on "my" settings then you should be able tell me what they should be so that It will work.

You can try to blame it on my settings without offering a good theory as to why. But it's pretty lame. Especially when it was working prior to the patch. And from the patching history of the game and all the other problems the game has had it is pretty bold to say it can't be the patch. How many different Patches have you release already, not to include the silent updates?

In addition to your comment about it being my setting or my system, then why is there a forum with other people discussing the issue? http://www.community.eu.playstation.com/t5/Call-of-Duty/Black-Ops-not-working-after-patch-1-06/m-p/1...

Also, in regards to my settings, I sent photos of the setting on my PS3 and from the Game Prior to Going into multiplayer.

Did they look correct? Didn't they say everything is fine with my settings? so if I did all of that and my connection is what you wanted it to be... NAT Type 1. Then how could it be my settings? Is there a setting that says "Annoy the hell out of yourself while trying to get assistance from Activision" because if there is I didn't select it intentionally.

Back to my question in the last response. Can I just download the patch over the CPU. if the problem truly is with my settings (settings that allow me to get NAT type 1 with a 27 Mbps DL and 8.5 Mbps UL) Then surely Activision can send me a link to a download that will allow me to patch using a usb thumb drive. I know it can be done because Sony does it.

Response (Nick Bee)01/31/2011 05:58 PM 
Have you downloaded the latest Sony PS3 firmware, 3.56? This is likely an issue with your console or a setting you choose as if this were an issue with the patch, everyone would have it.

Customer01/31/2011 06:46 AM 
So I moved away to go to school and I don't actually know anyone within 100 miles that has a PS3, I am sure lots of people do, but I just don't know who they are.

I have already resolved the question of the disk, First I took my disk to gamestop, they played it for me. It worked. But they don't have internet so they played it on a system without 1.06. This is similar to how I have no problems with the game until I installed 1.06. Then I freeze in MP and Single Player. In fact because of reformatting I lost all my game data and had to start over. After the initial scene at the bar I can't get past the cops without freezing. If I delete Patch 1.06 SP works just fine. (I don't care if single player works as I really only play MP, I tried SP just to check different game modes)

Because I am a skeptic I actually bought another disk while at gamestop to bring home. I figured if two disks had the same problem that the probability of it being the disks would be a lot lower than the probability of it being the patch. So I play disk 1 and I freeze. I put in disk 2 and I freeze. I delete patch 1.06 and disk 1 plays fine. Put in disk 2 and disk two plays fine (this is true in SP and in Split screen.). I reinstall Patch 1.06 and i freeze in the following games: All of them. I can't play single player, spilt screen, or multiplayer without freezing.

Well no need to have two disks for a game that no longer works, so I returned one of the disks. (this is just fyi, so no solution can involve both disks)

I then thought that the problem may be my PS3. I owned a 80 gig until 3 weeks after Black Ops came out, then it YLOD on me. (apparently a common problem according to various Black op forums)

So I bought a new PS3 on November 25 2010. Well I figured this system couldn't be the problem it is pretty well new. But after cleaning the disks, trying a new disk, deleting this, installing this way and that way. I said, maybe it is the system (which makes no sense because it is only Black Ops that won't work, and even then it only doesn't work after patch 1.06.) So, I took my system back and got another. That's right brand new out of the box.

Well, still freeze once 1.06 is installed. I've tried to install at the begining of the game. I have also pressed the O button and waited until I select Multiplayer, Play online. to install and i get the same result.

Is there a way for me to download the patch from a PC and install it onto the PS3? People online have said it could be my internet. But I download everything fine on the CPU so this may be a way to test that theory out.

Response (Nick Bee)01/30/2011 04:16 PM 
Can you try your game disc on a friend's console to see if it freezes there? Is your disc scratched or dirty?

Customer01/30/2011 08:00 AM 
So I did exactly what you said. Got NAT type 1 and went into the game. I froze at 9:17 in TDM. I then rebooted, which takes forever once the game freezes. I went to the game data and deleted the patch (check information it said 1.06). I then started the game and downloaded the patch again. I went into CTF (trying different game modes hasn't worked yet, but why not try again) and before the game started I froze, the countdown was at 3.

I have attached two photos one of the Connection Test. Another of the information given in Options under multiplayer. I blacked out my IP address. but so you know the internal and external were the same.

Response (Nick Bee)01/30/2011 12:09 AM 
Hi,

Thank you for contacting Activision’s Technical Support. I'm sorry to hear about your problem. For testing reasons, disconnect your router and hook up directly to your cable/dsl modem. Run another connecion test. If it says NAT Type 1, try playing online. If you cannot get an IP address, you may need to power cycle your modem. Power cycling is unplugging the power for 30-60 seconds and then plugging it back in.

Auto-Response01/29/2011 10:42 PM 

Customer01/29/2011 10:42 PM 
So I thought I had a solution to the freezing that occurs after the 1.06 Patch. I do not. I have done the following: Bought a new disk. Exchanged my PS3 for a new one(still under warranty). Restored Router to Factory settings and re-setup the router. Forwarded all ports necessary according to portforward.com. Set PS3 as DMZ server. Nothing works.

When I get to multiplayer online and I select a game. I freeze within the first minute. I cannot play a full game. I did a full reformat of my system and was able to install the update and play a few rounds but. Since then I freeze within the 1st minute, if I come in later I freeze before 20 points have been scored in domination. I uninstalled the update by deleting the data and I can play single player or spit screen just fine. But as soon as the patch is installed. I freeze no matter what.
0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

s0L1d360

22%
02 Rank
Progress
s0L1d360
Accepted Solution

mine seems fine so far. i had to delete the game data and then loaded the game. then i went into options and switched it to load straight to multiplayer. working with patch so far. but damn trey. releasing this patch that's causing more problems.

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

givinr23198879

45%
02 Rank
Progress
givinr23198879
Accepted Solution

Well it seems there are a few problems out there with this patch....I had the freezing problems until I deleted the patch data, then starting the game and not downloading the patch....MY game loaded to the main menu....I went to Multi-player and downloaded the patch (from the multiplayer menu screen) it has loaded fine since.  I no longer have to delete the game data everytime, plays like normal for me now.

My hypothesis is that there is an initial download/install error when done before game loads.  Maybe treyarch in their 'infinite wisdom' didn't write the code to match the PS3, and by trying to load the game at the same time as downloading the new patch is messing a lot of systems up.  All my buddies that I have helped with this freezing issue now are playing online with me......

I hoped that this method would work with everyone that is having issues, but there seems to still be some rogue systems that really do not like the patch.....

0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
View our house rules for posts
Post Reply Update Reply Cancel