93%
05 Rank
Progress

Multiplayer - So, what do you think?

[ Edited ]
120 Replies 6,742 Views edited 04-11-2014
04 Nov 2014
By TehRadge

Just to say up front that this thread is not for "It won't download" or "I cant connect".  There's plenty of other threads where people are asking for advice on issues with the game so use one of those.

This is a place for us to discuss what we think of the changes to multiplayer and what we feel about our experiences of playing it.

I've gone head first into MP, as I have done the last 2 years with CoD, after hitting prestige I will then turn my attention to the campaign.  Usually I give myself a month to reach the max level, but here we are one day after the games "soft" release and I am already more than half way there.

Call of Duty®_ Advanced Warfare_20141104100736.jpg

As you can see I am already level 30 (very nearly almost 31) and I have only been playing for 4 and a half hours.  of course the fact that it was double XP yesterday dd help.

So normally I try to prestige in a month, due to my busy schedule, but it looks like this time I may be able to do it in a week!

So a couple of things I have noticed.  

• You can dodge by clicking the left stick in any direction other than forwards.  Even in mid air, but on the ground it is useful when you are reloading obsessively, something I am guilty of very often.  I am used to reloading after every kill, even if I still have the majority of my clip.  Before, to cancel out of your reload animation, you have to dash forward.  When going toe-to-toe with someone, it's not the best situation.  Now however, you can cancel by dodging to the side, throwing your adversary off in the process.
  • On the subject of reloading, there is no "Slight of Hand" perk any more but everyone has access to a fast reload which you can get by double tapping square, also useful in the situation above.  but beware, if you use the fast reload, you will lose the bullets in the magazine you are chucking away.  If you use the normal slow reload then you will keep the bullets in your old magazine, like you're living in Video Game Fantasy Land!
  • Also, there is no more "Marathon" perk.  EVERYONE has Marathon now, in fact, your Exo suit gives you infinite dash, so bear that in mind.  One of the side perks that some games gave you with Marathon is to fall from big heights without taking damage.  Your Exo suit absorbs all fall damage too.  So go nuts.

So that's a couple of my findings.  A couple more:

Despite all the influence Black Ops has on this game, I like the fact that there is none of this "Let's vote to play the map we just played, Yay Hijacked, Yay Nuketown" nonsense.  The game uses the Modern Warfare map vote set up.

The game doesn't display a player count in each playlist.  Which is kind of a good and bad thing.  The PS4 version of Ghosts always had a notably small amount of players compared to the PS3 version, and because that game was fractured into those 2 player bases, Black Ops 2 always looked as if it had more players.  What I do know is that if your favourite game mode displays that only 50 people are playing it, you can get bummed out.  But there are 50 players, you can still get a game!  You just might always have to play against the same people.  So it's kind of better that it's hidden in my view.

Just a couple of my thoughts, I'll post more if I have any.

LABELS: Call of Duty
View our house rules for posts
Post Reply Update Reply Cancel

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

BusterDaily

96%
03 Rank
Progress
BusterDaily
Accepted Solution

After Ghosts it would be interesting to see how many people are playing the game. Generally there were almost 500,000 people playing BO2 on PS3 at it's peak, so it might be insightful to compare the two.

I have to say I am pleasantly surprised by AW's MP. It is a lot more fun than Ghosts ever was. It has a BO2 feel about it, the graphics are clean and sharp and the sounds are satisfying, especially the hit marker sound.

After playing with loads of UK based players yesterday, today (release day proper) seems to have brought the French out. Which is a shame as I had an absolute blast with a few UK based randoms yesterday. Now it has gone back to me playing with Frenach players as per Ghosts always was. Not heard one UK voice at all this morning :smileyindifferent:

0 Kudos

Re: Multiplayer - So, what do you think?

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

Eeeyore

77%
02 Rank
Progress
Eeeyore
Accepted Solution

The decline in player numbers in Ghosts was pretty spectacular, (though i never saw them as high as 500,000, there was always around 250,000 players a few weeks after launch date). I went on there just last week to get my eye in again, ready for this launch, and there was 24,700 people online, went on BO2 (hated Ghosts anyway!), and there were almost 170,000 people playing!

In answer to the OP's question, what do i think? As Justin Timberlake once said, I'm lovin' it! The Exo dash left and right still catches me off guard, but very promising so far.

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

jasonleurs

25%
02 Rank
Progress
jasonleurs
Accepted Solution

@BusterDaily wrote:

After Ghosts it would be interesting to see how many people are playing the game. Generally there were almost 500,000 people playing BO2 on PS3 at it's peak, so it might be insightful to compare the two.

I have to say I am pleasantly surprised by AW's MP. It is a lot more fun than Ghosts ever was. It has a BO2 feel about it, the graphics are clean and sharp and the sounds are satisfying, especially the hit marker sound.

After playing with loads of UK based players yesterday, today (release day proper) seems to have brought the French out. Which is a shame as I had an absolute blast with a few UK based randoms yesterday. Now it has gone back to me playing with Frenach players as per Ghosts always was. Not heard one UK voice at all this morning :smileyindifferent:

Spel

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

llewellyn237

94%
06 Rank
Progress
llewellyn237
Accepted Solution
I'm enjoying it a lot.

I jumped straight into Domination for a few games, the maps I played are very well made, especially Detroit. After a couple of hours Dom I hit the Bonus Map mode to check out Atlas Gorge (or Pipeline from CoD4). I ended up playing a few games of Uplink which I'm not too keen on. I might enjoy it more as I get used to it, but can't see myself ever joining the Uplink playlist.

I also tried a few games of Hardcore TDM and Dom since I'm originally a CoD Hardcore veteran and enjoyed it massively.

I could go on and on but basically yeah, loving it so far. Played for three hours last night and got to level 32, but had to switch off as that annoying work place that pays my bills said I had to be up at 0530. The jerk.
0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Beta Tester
/16

el-ve

• Beta Tester
100%
16 Rank
Progress
el-ve
Accepted Solution
Took me a few hours to get used to the new movement, you can pull off some awesome kills and there's nothing like dodging someone and watching them shoot where you 'were' whilst you kill them :)

I have Tuesday's off and have always noticed the French on, do they not work Tuesday's :D
0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

BusterDaily

96%
03 Rank
Progress
BusterDaily
Accepted Solution

Surrender Tuesdays.

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Beta Tester
/16

TehRadge

• Beta Tester
93%
05 Rank
Progress
TehRadge
Accepted Solution
Apparently the fast realoading I mentioned in my first post is bugged

http://www.reddit.com/r/CodAW/comments/2l5678/psa_reload_is_bugged_reloading_regularly/

Often, reloads are ALL registering as fast reloads. So make those bullets count until it gets patched.
0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
MVP
/16

castaway666

• MVP
98%
15 Rank
Progress
castaway666
Accepted Solution
No time for camping but sniper rifles are too slow
0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

Max_Headroom_

81%
03 Rank
Progress
Max_Headroom_
Accepted Solution

Without the jumping it would have just been another COD with a few different weapons and maps and i probably would not have bought it, the jumping makes it a whole new game, loving it., ,

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
MVP
/16

castaway666

• MVP
98%
15 Rank
Progress
castaway666
Accepted Solution
I hate that laser beam rifle though seems a bit overpowered
0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

splitsecond2233

27%
02 Rank
Progress
splitsecond2233
Accepted Solution

I agree its way to annoying.I cant run around a corner without being blasted with a lazer gun or destroyed by the bal-27

0 Kudos

Re: lazer beam rifle

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
MVP
/16

castaway666

• MVP
98%
15 Rank
Progress
castaway666
Accepted Solution
First one since mw3 for me so quite enjoying it
0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Beta Tester
/16

el-ve

• Beta Tester
100%
16 Rank
Progress
el-ve
Accepted Solution
When people speak why does their names have to appear in huge text in the centre of the screen...

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Beta Tester
/16

Mulletino

• Beta Tester
96%
09 Rank
Progress
Mulletino
Accepted Solution

I'm enjoying it.

Feels familiar yet different enough to make it enjoyable. Like a CoD skinned UT3 or Q3a.

(hmm wish we got a PS4 UT)

Agreed on the big speaky letters though, I can see it might be useful in clan battles but for a casual effort it ruins it.

0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Online PS gaming since 2003 - http://www.oaps.org

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

Z1MZUM

88%
02 Rank
Progress
Z1MZUM
Accepted Solution

There's people bouncing everywhere, it's crazy. The Laser beam Heavy weapon is way underpowered, the sniper rifles are slow. I find that people are jumping to the roof tops on every map, you need your field of vision to be completely 360. It's not bad, I guess I was hoping for a real world battle after Blops 2 and ghosts. I really just don't like the double jump, it's not super mario

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Beta Tester
/16

Cringles88

• Beta Tester
86%
09 Rank
Progress
Cringles88
Accepted Solution

I'm enjoying it to. some things I still hate but it's more the players, not th game. Camping for example, or people dropping to prone when there right beside you. It's just as weird thing people do, I don't understand the prone at 2 feet thing.

Killstreaks, I struggle to get kills in a row. Because you can jump about, you pretty much see someone every few seconds, so I'm constantly shot in the back, or someone pops over a wall. I think that's why I find a lot of people camping, It was easier in previous games. I might get a UAV 2/10 rounds.

Connection issues as always. I've OPEN NAT, my connection is fine, but it only takes one or two enemies from another country or woeful connection to ruin the match for everyone. It's not fun going 2 kills with 20 deaths. In a previous map you could be 20 kills & 5 deaths. Definitely a bit of of a''this doesn't feel right'' feel, almost unfair some of the encounters I've had.

Killcam not matching your screen, same as what BF4 had for a while, only in COD, it's always worse. You shoot a guy, pretty sure he's going to die, & he kills you in 2 bullets. Killcam shows you never even shot your gun or hit him. All classic COD issues. 

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

Chip_Hazzard_68

61%
02 Rank
Progress
Chip_Hazzard_68
Accepted Solution
If you mute everybody the text will disappear ,you get a choice of mute options .
0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
MVP
/16

castaway666

• MVP
98%
15 Rank
Progress
castaway666
Accepted Solution
Just played the co-op maps and got zombie skin unlocked for the MP
0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

Cloudburst--

95%
06 Rank
Progress
Cloudburst--
Accepted Solution

I'm genuinely absolutely appalled and I feel cheated that just because I have wired 152mb Internet the developer has delayed my connection to give people with terrible Internet an advantage. 

It's an actual outrage. 

I'm not sure how they get away with this and how it's not actual news. Appalling. Dying instantly is a DISGRACE. 

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

Max_Headroom_

81%
03 Rank
Progress
Max_Headroom_
Accepted Solution

@Cloudburst-- wrote:

I'm genuinely absolutely appalled and I feel cheated that just because I have wired 152mb Internet the developer has delayed my connection to give people with terrible Internet an advantage. 

It's an actual outrage. 

I'm not sure how they get away with this and how it's not actual news. Appalling. Dying instantly is a DISGRACE. 

Speed has little to do with online gaming as the quote below clearly shows - 

Speed doesn't so much as latency. More speed is always nice, but for most games it has no real impact if it's the only thing you are doing.

EDit: When I say latency that is ping. It sometimes can be attributed to how far you are from the ISP nodes. Wireless interfaces tend to have more latency.

0 Kudos

View our house rules for posts
Post Reply Update Reply Cancel