41%
02 Rank
Progress

PS4 external CD Drive for PS2?

4 Replies 2,495 Views Created 09-07-2016
09 Jul 2016
By KnightDemon_

Hello there,
Honestly first time on these forums and didn't know where to put this, but here goes.

I myself have a fairly average PS2 collection of games and there are several I still love playing, I still have the PS2. I also have PS1 games that as you all should know can run on the PS2 and back when the PS2 first came out I thought that was such an innovative thing to add even if it was by accident. I went to Xbox after PS2 and joined in on the PS3 just before PS4 hit. My collection is still a good size and I wouldn't think to get rid of it. PS3 had some BC but still not a full BC one would hope for. The PS4 launched and like most of you I was disappointed with the lack of BC and knowing that the architecture is not really compatible (along with the disk drive) for BC it occured to me that the PS4 is still a very powerful system and with that in mind I thought of how to play the PS2 and PS1 games on the PS4 without having to rebuy "remasters" which won't happen for some of the more obscure games I still have and enjoy.

An external CD drive that can read and run PS1 and PS2 games. It hooks into the back of the PS4 in one of the USB slots or a slot on the back making it seem like the PS4 has been extended (think of how the harddrive can be slotted onto the system).
The PS4 system being as powerful as it is should be able to emulate PS2 software, and with the external CD drive should be able to read, run and play the games in it. A little note I think could be useful is to be able to save the contents of the PS2 and PS1 games to the harddrive but still require the disk to start the game, this is purely to avoid damaging the disk themselves.

To expand on this, I'm sure the PS4 software and system could be updated to allow the PS2 side of it to have internal memory cards on the system (had this on the PS3) and possibly be able to integrate the share features and the whole user interface it currently has. The main button might not be so easy because the games are set up now to be able to be paused mid-game.

Now I have no idea about any legal issues with any of this, but I just want to play some of my PS2 and PS1 games without having to set up my PS2. Some may say that PSNow could be an option for me... no, I don't want to spend money for that or wait for remasters for the games I like, not an option, they won't be remasterd or made available on the PSStore, I know this for a fact.

I hope those that read this don't just dismiss it straight away but actually give it a thought. If you got a better thought, please let me know.

Regards,

KnightDemon_

LABELS: PS4
View our house rules for posts
Post Reply Update Reply Cancel

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Award Winner
/16

furryhawk

• Award Winner
100%
16 Rank
Progress
furryhawk
Accepted Solution

Brilliant idea.

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

DistinctNature

27%
02 Rank
Progress
DistinctNature
Accepted Solution

I really dunno mate. But yeah theyre not making remastered versions. So just go for it. Keep the old consoles. I sold my old ps2 and games and now I miss em like hell. Well not the games but the memories I made with them as a kid with mfriends and family. Don't sell them. Give them to your children or someone who'll appreciate em.

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

LV-9066

73%
02 Rank
Progress
LV-9066
Accepted Solution

There are a few PS2 classics on PS4 online store, but they are just remasters, sometimes with full PS4 trophy support. Except for the few PS3 models with PS2 support in hardware or emulation, PS One or PS2 games can not be played on later consoles unless they are remastered.

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

Inukinator

96%
02 Rank
Progress
Inukinator
Accepted Solution

I don't really think it's a compatibility issue for the reader, as the BD-reader on the PS4 systems are well capable of reading PS2 games. But rather, it's an issue with Sony not seeing a reason to make the PS4 capable of playing PS2 or 1 games from disc.

This ofcourse should not be completely impossible, and maybe a slight modification to the source code of the wrapper for downloaded games might be able to do the trick, however this could potentially lead to a huge loss in revenue for the digitally sold games.

The idea in its purest sense is great, and I applaude you for that, but I think the only need wouldn't be an external drive reader, but rather a small software update.

0 Kudos

View our house rules for posts
Post Reply Update Reply Cancel