• Beta Tester
84%
02 Rank
Progress

GC Update: Yakuza

9 Replies 1,024 Views Created 25-08-2006
25 Aug 2006
By OrangeDonut

Much to the dismay of my fellow gamers in the queue behind me, I decided to spend more time playing Yakuza than is normally permitted :p

Published by SEGA, this is possibly one of the hottest titles coming this September. The version I played was marked as 90% complete and gave a very good idea of how the game will pan out.

It’s a full free roaming 3D action/adventure game with many other genres thrown in for good measure. I explored one section of the Tokyo map (which looks huge when you count the grey areas on the map that are not available in the demo). The first thing I noticed when playing is the level of detail the developers have used for the city – even down to animations on small items of furniture – Christmas trees with lights that blink, the flicker from a neon sign etc. When roaming the city there are a huge number of NPC’s on screen at once, and it’s surprising the number of them you can actually interact with. A hobo will actually teach you new fighting moves if you ask him nicely! One nasty surprise when wandering was when I bumped into a random non player character who took offence to this disturbance and this immediately started a fight sequence. The fighting actually feels very much like Virtua Fighter, seemingly limited on the surface, but once you start to learn the combos, you will be throwing your enemies from one end of Tokyo to the other!

They have done some very interesting changes to how the camera operates in this game, using a combination of 3rd person view, a nice top-down view, and also a user controllable camera in some areas. The views can change from screen to screen, which can be a little jarring at first, but you do get used to it pretty quickly.

If you have played Shenmue in the past, this will feel like familiar ground when interrogating people to get your next lead on where to go next, but still manages to feel very fresh – This one is definitely on my wish list for September!

If there’s anything specific you wish to know, just ask and I’ll do my best to answer!
0 Kudos
LABELS:
View our house rules for posts
Post Reply Update Reply Cancel

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

[Nightfall]

80%
01 Rank
Progress
[Nightfall]
Accepted Solution
i will defintely be getting this as im a massive shenmue fan and i love the idea of the game, when you walk the main guy around does it feel a bit sloppy or does it all handle pretty well.
0 Kudos

Re: GC Update: Yakuza

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

[Miss]

80%
01 Rank
Progress
[Miss]
Accepted Solution
This looks utter crap. Bland textures, stolen gameplay mechanics, obstructive game scenery. Blergh.
0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

[X-Adz-X]

80%
01 Rank
Progress
[X-Adz-X]
Accepted Solution
OMFG! That's WOW what a cool game! Like grand theft auto but tokyo!
0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Beta Tester
/16

GraphiteGB

• Beta Tester
97%
06 Rank
Progress
GraphiteGB
Accepted Solution
OMFG! That's WOW what a cool game! Like grand theft auto but tokyo! yep played it allready. read the review. sorry wont be buying it they gotta try harder to get our cash as we are saving for PS3.
0 Kudos

My PS4 Life was an EU service only and not for any other region of account. Service was IP address geo/location blocked. service has been shut down in EU

SIEE PS3/PS4 Beta Tester.

From SIEE blog "There is no guarantee that all USB storage devices are compatible with your system." for firmware 4.50

Black screen on PC remote play showing up as windows GPU driver miss match, visit Intell, AMD, Nvidia to change your driver, downgrade of GPU driver may be required. Java script failure in remote play at login is IE render engine setting in IE security set to off... turn it on...

Finaly got my Beta badge back took long enough...

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

[X-Adz-X]

80%
01 Rank
Progress
[X-Adz-X]
Accepted Solution
Can you drive in it? What year is it set in?
0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Beta Tester
/16

OrangeDonut

• Beta Tester
84%
02 Rank
Progress
OrangeDonut
Accepted Solution
i will defintely be getting this as im a massive shenmue fan and i love the idea of the game, when you walk the main guy around does it feel a bit sloppy or does it all handle pretty well. I handles quite well actually, once I played it, I did wonder how Shenmue would play with the camera angles from Yakuza :p
0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

[X-Adz-X]

80%
01 Rank
Progress
[X-Adz-X]
Accepted Solution
Silly me.... i forgot to ask what console its for :o
0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

Sidanator

84%
02 Rank
Progress
Sidanator
Accepted Solution
Tis an PS2 exclusive.....I think.
0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Beta Tester
/16

OrangeDonut

• Beta Tester
84%
02 Rank
Progress
OrangeDonut
Accepted Solution
Tis an PS2 exclusive.....I think. It certainly is :)
0 Kudos

View our house rules for posts
Post Reply Update Reply Cancel