46%
02 Rank
Progress

GT: Sport - Online races penalties

[ Edited ]
142 Replies 12,432 Views edited 23-10-2017
23 Oct 2017
By JonssonThree

While GT sport is a tremendous update in online races since earlier iterations of the game, there are a few things that just ruin the experience for me. I acknowledge that not every race is going to be perfect and perhaps the sportsmanship rating takes a while to separate the players who intend to steer clear from other cars and those that don't really care as long as they get ahead (it's still too early for me to tell). 

However, I feel like those that ram into other players should get penalized a lot more harshly than they currently are. Either by giving them a hard slow down period (10+ sec) where they're forced to slow down instantly as opposed to the softer slow down some time during the race effect currently in place. While this may still ruin that race for the player getting rammed into, the racer that rammed him/her, would at least fall behind enough for other racers to be spared. 

Or another alternative would be to increase the ghost mode sensitivity, which is an excellent feature. I for one would appreciate the ghost mode to activate a lot easier, to where a racer coming in too hot would instantly get ghosted to save other racers from getting thrown back simply for going at the correct speed through a corner. 

Again, this may just be my experience as other racers may have climbed in the sportsmanship rating to where the players around them respect each other, but my experience so far has been: either you get pole/near-pole position and get ahead quickly, or you get stuck in an endless pushing and shoving to get ahead of each other. Even if you get to pole position, you may get dragged down by an eager racer coming in too hot through the first corner (speaking from experience). 

I personally would suggest a combination of the two, harder penalties as well as a more sensitive ghost mode activation, but fully understand if some believe getting rammed sometimes is part of the racing experience and feel like the ghost mode would take away from the experience. But something needs to be done quickly, otherwise people may not feel like the online mode is worthwhile (and let's be honest, there isn't much left if people stop playing online races)

View our house rules for posts
Post Reply Update Reply Cancel

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

PIRATEBENTLEY

46%
02 Rank
Progress
PIRATEBENTLEY
Accepted Solution

Totally agree with this assessment of the game. I love the online racing for the few races i've had where the drivers all are happy to drive to the conditions, making sensible entry and exit speed decisions. However, I am very tired of getting a reasonable qualifying time, only to drop 5 - 10 positions on the first or second corner as a couple of people late (or don't) brake into the corer, and use me as a ricochet point around the corner and send me out into the gravel. This then just leads to a race where i have to time and again try to overtake the same offenders, and mid overtake get rammed off the track. I must admit I have accidentally given people a good bump on a few occasions, however I have tried to immediately give that position back by slowing down and getting out of the way, or not overtaking as planned. The losing driver points after being on the receiving end of a shunt is also insult to injury. Very frustrating. 

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

garyc1234uk

63%
02 Rank
Progress
garyc1234uk
Accepted Solution

Totally agree the penalty system stinks ! The innocent party seems to be the one who has to pay for the bad drivers ..... surely the 'system' should be able to calculate if a car is travelling at a suitable speed to 'take' the corners and award penalty if you are frequently driving outside the limits ! And no way should you receive a penalty when you get shoved-off the road by the idiots behind !!!!!! I think this will be the last GT game I buy - far too much money for a game that is so frustrating that it becomes unplayable.

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

meekychunky

25%
02 Rank
Progress
meekychunky
Accepted Solution

Many people are exploiting this flaw on the daily races at Interlagos, even in S sportsmanship rated groups (I won't disclose the exact nature for obvious reasons).  Love the game otherwise but that's a sad situation.

Surely blame can be determined by comparing braking (or lack of) with the person's best ghost lap, sudden unusual changes of speed, or if someone gains a position shortly after making contact with someone who then ends-up in the gravel.

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

ZaheenX

81%
02 Rank
Progress
ZaheenX
Accepted Solution

I’ll add some heat to this as well.

I don’t claim to be the best or anything but spending hours getting a fast lap only to be rammed at the first or second corner on purpose resulting in major penalty points and a spin out is bloody ridiculous. It sometimes makes me want to ram that person back...only I’m not that sort of person.

Happened on the last lap of the points race as well, I should have taken 2nd and instead got slapped down to 7th.

It just isn’t fair, and it’s not enjoyable or fun when you know they’ve done it intentionally. Took me a few days to build my SR and now it dropped back down to E because I got rammed off the track. Also even had someone going at like half the speed of everyone else and I had nowhere to go but the back of him and it sent us both flying sideways, and I take a penalty for that? He was driving slow on purpose because he had the fastest lap and started pole.

Can someone here explain / shed some light on the mechanics of ramming? A few times I’ve been tapped into the wall and they’ve gone on to win with no penalty at all, and sometimes it’s the reverse.

[ Edited ]

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

Molljnar

90%
03 Rank
Progress
Molljnar
Accepted Solution

Well I think I’m truly confused now after my last race. I’m concentrating on track awareness, making sure not to hit anyone in front and overtake cleanly up to 6th. I then get rammed off track from behind by some guy in a Ferrari. I get back on without losing much ground then overtake him as he’s lost control on a bend. I then get nudged in the rear by a Mercedes braking too late in to a corner. Following this I got hit by the Ferrari 4 times thereafter as his attitude was to overtake at any cost and make room on the inside where there was no room...he also took out at least two other cars that I saw in my rear mirror. Finally in the last lap he shunts me again in the rear so I spin and.....I got a 10 second penalty! At the end of the race no one else had a penalty but me and I’ve gone down the rating. Is the idea to hit everyone? Maybe barge them off by creating an overtake where there isn’t room?

I'm guessing to not get a penalty I need to pull over to the verge and let everyone pass me while I pick some daisy's. Seriously ***** off now.

Edit: Further to this I've now decided to drop to the back of the field in future races and not compete at all so I can build up my SR to eventually race against a better class of racer. Seriously, this is not the reason I bought this game. It's a racing game where you can't actually race fairly at the moment.  

[ Edited ]

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

stuy76

88%
02 Rank
Progress
stuy76
Molljnar
Accepted Solution

I tried that, slowed and moved off the track to let the rocket kids through. Someone lost it, went off track and hit me so my SR dropped and I get a time penalty for going beyond track limits. Seriously, you couldn't make that up. 

Have the people at PD ever actually played the game? 

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

Chubbe08

61%
02 Rank
Progress
Chubbe08
Accepted Solution

Hi people, I like the fact that your all being civil towards the creators of this annoying program. Iv been wanting to break my PlayStation since the beta and I bought the game in hope that they saw how crap sport mode was. Maybe I thought polyphony would change it or even because it was delayed for a year, it would be taken out. But no, for some reason, money from sponsors is far more important than the consumer. Well you know what  Kazunori Yamauchi your a sellout. Im sick of being punted off the track and penalized for having the inside line but the other player is to slow or stupid to see. Sport mode is a insult to Motorsport. I would like to see the many suggestions people have made to this mode but I dont see the corporation giving a s@#t about the customer. Yes, I really just wanted to rant, in the hope that maybe name dropping it would pop up on his laptop one day and actually see that I couldn't care less about the 50 locations I will never take a photo in. maybe it would have been nice to work on the cars or tracks instead. If i wanted to take pictures i would go buy a camera not a video game. Anyway, apologies the the creator of this thread. I'm done. Peace

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

Ianerino

72%
02 Rank
Progress
Ianerino
Accepted Solution

I'm so fed up of getting shunted off track on the first corner and having to come back through the pack, fighting and getting penalty points. It's just not fun at all. 

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

Ianerino

72%
02 Rank
Progress
Ianerino
Ianerino
Accepted Solution

Update, Every race today has the same pattern. qualify well, start well, get near the front of the pack, get rear ended by some idiot, fall back through the pack as a succession of idiots rear end me, end up near the back with penalties and bad DR and SR. I've had enough, i want my money back.

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

Xamot

48%
02 Rank
Progress
Xamot
Accepted Solution

clearly the SR system need improvement but I actually think that most of these collisions are due to an ethical disconnect between racers. some people feel that the leading car is entitled to the apex and other people feel that the first car to the apex is entitled to the apex.

in actuality both of these perspectives are right and wrong depending on the circumstances. 

as for rear collisions, many occur from people racing too closely and thinking that they can still use their hot lap braking marker while driving in a pack. you can't. if I'm leading into a sharp turn with cars on my tail, I'll choose a late brake let apex line... usually they will be using me as their braking indicator, panic when I don't brake, and cut inside early with a late brake driving off of the course, at which point you retake the lead on the exit.

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

DrDeathThe22nd

25%
02 Rank
Progress
DrDeathThe22nd
Accepted Solution

Couldnt agree more. Im almost to the point of quiting GT sport for good...

I qualify 2nd-6th every time yet I'm lucky to hold my position or improve in the actual race. Most common issue: I brake for a corner  following a decent racing line and get rear ended. I get penalised one for not making the corner and two a soft slow down of 3-10 seconds. Joke!

My latest issue was a 10 second penalty on a straight because the other player hit me. *****

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

berksboi

24%
02 Rank
Progress
berksboi
Accepted Solution

It's pretty ***** when someone just crashes into you because they forgot the braking mark and you loose sr, I dive bombed someone the other day but didn't touch his car, half lap around he just drives straight into me in the braking zone and the sends me a msg saying that's what I get for divebombing, they need to fix the rating and give harsher penalty to ignorant players like that 

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

Mr_Schmou

63%
02 Rank
Progress
Mr_Schmou
Accepted Solution

The penalty system in GT Sport is the biggest bull**** i've ever seen in a racing game. 90% + the one that got attacked gets the panelty.

Today again. Grp4 final lap last corner. A renault tried to shoot me of the track, but he only touched me and flew into the gravel. Puh, lucky me. BÄM 10sec penalty *****? Lost 8 positions and he got 0sec penalty.

They should call it GT destruction derby

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

HalloSpongebob

71%
02 Rank
Progress
HalloSpongebob
Mr_Schmou
Accepted Solution

man that sucks.. ok maybe its not that easy to fix it

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

HalloSpongebob

71%
02 Rank
Progress
HalloSpongebob
Accepted Solution

most of it can basically stay the same. but if someone shoots you off the track they need to be disqualified. black flag, instant ban, simple as that.

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

Insideout030

73%
02 Rank
Progress
Insideout030
Accepted Solution

I found it really difficult to raise my sportsmanrating. You get put with more aggressive players, almost making it impossible to have a completely clean race. To be fair, I had to get used to the proximity of other players, since I'm driving from hoodcam, and divebombs are hard to see coming that way. Proximity arrows or a permanent rear view mirror wouldn't go amiss.

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

BozzSkaggz

51%
02 Rank
Progress
BozzSkaggz
Accepted Solution

Man I could not agree more, seems like this is an advantage to the reckless driver to just knock other drivers out of the way, like we all used to do to the AI drivers in the past.

the penalty needs to be stiffer period. I do believe the SR algorithm has been improved but not for this, polyphony please fix this issue it's really ruining the experience 

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

Mr_Schmou

63%
02 Rank
Progress
Mr_Schmou
Accepted Solution

I did some testruns and it looks like you can use the panelty system  to your advantage. Divebombing and pushing other players off the track in corners are tollerated. If youre on the inside line and you hit the side of the outside car, you have a 9/10 chance to get away without a panelty. The victim has a 7/10 chance to get a panelty for beeing offroad/ kissing the wall. I expierienced both sides multiple times.

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

RacinJake

24%
02 Rank
Progress
RacinJake
Accepted Solution

It is very frustrating that while racing in the online open game rooms of Gran Turismo Sport, I am always penalized when someone else runs into me and I am the only one who is penalized. The people who hit me and take me out drive away with no penalty or consequence. It is total rubbish! I then continue with unrealistic time penalties and then when lifting on a straight to reduce the time penalty, the time is NOT reduced. I lift on the straight when you would otherwise be flat out and the game does not compensate or reduce the penalty that was unfairly given to me in the first place. I like many of the rest of you have made a substantial investment in the perpetuation of the GRAN TURISMO FRANCHISE from GT1 to the current Sport edition and this one falls short of my expectations in a big way. I know I'm not the only one who feels this way. Has anyone else experienced the same issues? Is there a way to avoid this frustration? When will this disparity be corrected? 

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

clansman_1

79%
02 Rank
Progress
clansman_1
Accepted Solution

It's very annoying when someone rams you from behind to get past you then once in front, they make a mistake at the next corner & preceed to ram into the side of you to stop you getting past!!! Happened 4 times in one race.

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

S2N-Ava

97%
10 Rank
Progress
S2N-Ava
clansman_1
Accepted Solution

Unfortunately, you can only have the knowledge that you are a better racer than those people who take those tactics.  We see it far too often.. the win at all costs mentality.

Perhaps, they find it fun to play like that...  I certainly don't see it as a win if they cross the line in front of me..  

PD must have tested the Penalty System with people that take Driving Etiquette more seriously as it certainly don't work for the general public.

Ava

0 Kudos

View our house rules for posts
Post Reply Update Reply Cancel