Problem Solved

View Original Post
18 Aug 2009
By nyx-666

nyx-666

92%
05 Rank
Progress

SCEE press conference - Price drop for current PS3's and PS3 slim confirmed!

[ Edited ]
36 Replies 1,370 Views edited 18-08-2009
18 Aug 2009
By nyx-666
Live from gamescom: SCEE Press Conference

excerpt from the live blog [http://blog.eu.playstation.com/2009/08/18/live-from-gamescom-scee-press-conference/];

18:35
Jem Alexander:  Like, right now.
Jem Alexander:  The price has also JUST dropped for all current PS3s on the shelf.
Jem Alexander:  It will be available for 299 euros, 299 dollars and 29,980 yen.
Jem Alexander:  

smaller, lighter, all the same features your current PS3 has

18:34
Jem Alexander:  How's this for a description: it's a PS3, but slimmer
18:34
Jem Alexander:  From which he picks up the new slimmer PS3, available in the first week of September

Message Edited by nyx-666 on 19-08-2009 03:42 AM
0 Kudos
LABELS:
~~~
Some days its just not worth chewing through the restraints to get out of bed!
View our house rules for posts
Post Reply Update Reply Cancel

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

AtomicJet

60%
02 Rank
Progress
AtomicJet
Accepted Solution

@MGR wrote:

Audio output: LPCM 7.1ch, Dolby Digital, Dolby Digital Plus, Dolby TrueHD, DTS, DTS-HD, AAC.

So can it bitstream Dolby true hd and DTS HD now?

Hope so..

0 Kudos

Re: SCEE press conference - Price drop for current PS3's and PS3 slim confirmed!

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Award Winner
/16

kiwiatlarge

• Award Winner
93%
06 Rank
Progress
kiwiatlarge
Accepted Solution

Well, nice to see they've moved away from fingerprint traps.. I wouldn't upgrade to one, I didn't upgrade to a PS2 slim or PS1 slim either... but if my PS3 doesn't last the tests of time, I'd rather put 300 towards a new one than fixing my old one I think..

Have to say the HD is a better size for me.. as I media or externally stream rather than bulk media store on the PS3... but it would stop me having to remove the 5GB installs off my current model each time a new game comes... Oh, and yeah I could upgrade my current drive easy enough... I used to pull PCs apart for a living, I just haven't gotten around to getting a new drive to put it in... :Lol:

0 Kudos

Re: SCEE press conference - Price drop for current PS3's and PS3 slim confirmed!

Remember when I said I'd kill u last?? .... I LIIIIED!!
Uncharted Quadruple Platinum Club, 2008-12

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

FluxZero

88%
04 Rank
Progress
FluxZero
Accepted Solution

@MGR wrote:

Ø BRAVIA® Sync™ Feature

The new PS3 system is also equipped with the BRAVIA® Sync™ feature. By connecting the new PS3 system and a BRAVIA TV with the HDMI cable, users are able to directly operate the XMB on PS3 using the TV remote control. Other functions include “System Standby” that will automatically turn off the PS3 system when the BRAVIA TV is turned off*4.

Message Edited by MGR on 19-08-2009 02:40 AM

I wonder if that is a hardware or software update. i would love the Playstation 3 to have BRAVIA sync.
Would make it the perfect bluray player in my opinion. 

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

MGR

80%
02 Rank
Progress
MGR
Accepted Solution

@FluxZero wrote:

@MGR wrote:

Ø BRAVIA® Sync™ Feature

The new PS3 system is also equipped with the BRAVIA® Sync™ feature. By connecting the new PS3 system and a BRAVIA TV with the HDMI cable, users are able to directly operate the XMB on PS3 using the TV remote control. Other functions include “System Standby” that will automatically turn off the PS3 system when the BRAVIA TV is turned off*4.

I wonder if that is a hardware or software update. i would love the Playstation 3 to have BRAVIA sync.

That comment relates to the new firmware 3.0

ie Every PS3 will have that feature with the firmware upgrade.

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

FluxZero

88%
04 Rank
Progress
FluxZero
Accepted Solution

@MGR wrote:

@FluxZero wrote:

@MGR wrote:

Ø BRAVIA® Sync™ Feature

Thanks for that. Thas fantastic!! 

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

FluxZero

88%
04 Rank
Progress
FluxZero
Accepted Solution

@FluxZero wrote:

@MGR wrote:

@FluxZero wrote:

@MGR wrote:

Ø BRAVIA® Sync™ Feature

Thanks for that. Thas fantastic!! 

http://www.engadget.com/2009/08/18/ps3-slim-sized-up-smaller-deeper-no-linux-or-ps2-compatibilit/

Endagdet says that the original does not have BRAVIA Sync. Im not sure it its hardware related or not. I think we will have to wait and see. Oh and they say you cant install Linux on the new slim for some reason..

Message Edited by FluxZero on 19-08-2009 01:45 PM
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

nyx-666

92%
05 Rank
Progress
nyx-666
Accepted Solution

Article taken from - http://www.australianit.news.com.au/story/0,24897,25951656-15321,00.html

Sony slims PlayStation 3 size and price

Stuart Kennedy and wires | August 19, 2009

SONY has taken the wraps off its long-rumoured slim version of the PlayStation 3 videogame console and slashed the price to attack the Christmas market.

Sony has unveiled a slimmed down version of its Playstation 3 which will hit local shores in early September.

The slimmed down PS3 will launch locally on September 3 at $499 which includes a larger 120GB hard drive replacing the old 80GB drive.

The new console will be around $200 less than the existing PS3.

A Sony spokeswoman said the price of existing PS3 units in the local channel would drop to $499 from August 24. “There’s very little existing stock in the channel, though," she said.

The slim PS3 is about two-thirds the size of existing models and uses less power but retains all the features of previous models, including the Blu-ray high-definition disk player. The new model will ship with a revamped, 3.0 version of the PS3 firmware which will be available for download onto previous models from September 1.

Since its launch in 2006, Sony’s PS3 has boasted processing power and rich graphics, but at a steeper price than Microsoft's Xbox 360 and Nintendo's Wii consoles.

Sony has since found the console wars to be bruising but is banking on its refreshed, lower-priced PS3 line and the release of blockbuster videogame titles to improve its fortunes in the crucial year-end holiday shopping season. The company reported a net loss of $US390 million for the fiscal first quarter through June, blaming the global economic downturn.

Sony has sold about 540,000 PS3s in Australia since the console debuted locally in March 2007.

As well as the new PS3, Sony Australia will launch video delivery service on the PS3 in the first quarter of 2010 following a rollout in Britain, Ireland, France, Germany and Spain in November.

Also coming is a Digital Reader Service for the handheld Sony PSP console which will begin with a library of comics and graphic novels launching in Australia in December. Text novels and non-fiction titles on the service may follow, the spokeswoman said.

To counter the downloadable games library on Nintendo’s new DSi handheld console, Sony will launch a line of cheap, downloadable games for the PSP over its online PlayStation store in October.
0 Kudos

Australian pricing plus dates for video service, digital reader etc

~~~
Some days its just not worth chewing through the restraints to get out of bed!

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

CharcoalDragon

88%
03 Rank
Progress
CharcoalDragon
Accepted Solution

yeah the logo still gets me, but as i said before the slim as a whole is growing on me.

QUESTION: can you upgrade the HDD of a slim?

0 Kudos

Beyond The Grave Website

CD.
I'M BACK. Been on a ~3 year break with occassional visits. Looking forward to good times in 2013.

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

McMicka

84%
03 Rank
Progress
McMicka
Accepted Solution

@CharcoalDragon wrote:

yeah the logo still gets me, but as i said before the slim as a whole is growing on me.

QUESTION: can you upgrade the HDD of a slim?

Yeah, you can. There was an article linked from N4G, can't remember... Jeez, I have to start saving all the important articles, because I can never find them later..
In short - Yes, a Sony rep said that you can DEFINITELY upgrade the HDD of the PS3 SLIM.
Edit: Here's a different article citing that you CAN upgrade it - just thought I'd link it for proof.
http://arstechnica.com/gaming/news/2009/08/sony-answers-our-questions-about-the-new-playstation-3.ar...

Message Edited by McMicka on 19-08-2009 02:37 PM
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

CharcoalDragon

88%
03 Rank
Progress
CharcoalDragon
Accepted Solution
Nice Work Micka. cheers.
0 Kudos

Beyond The Grave Website

CD.
I'M BACK. Been on a ~3 year break with occassional visits. Looking forward to good times in 2013.

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

MGR

80%
02 Rank
Progress
MGR
Accepted Solution

Great new PS3 commercials :Lol:

http://www.jp.playstation.com/ps3/new/tvcm.html

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Beta Tester
/16

SAIUN

• Beta Tester
84%
02 Rank
Progress
SAIUN
Accepted Solution
Lion-Face should be able to clear it up. Can HDMI-CEC be implemented by firmware update or does it need hardware?
0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

FluxZero

88%
04 Rank
Progress
FluxZero
Accepted Solution

@SAIUN wrote:
Lion-Face should be able to clear it up. Can HDMI-CEC be implemented by firmware update or does it need hardware?
Well CEC comands have been apart of the HDMI standard since the begining ie HDMI V1.0.
However in HDMI 1.3 the CEC comands have been enhanced. Considering that the PlayStation 3's HDMI port is 1.3 I think we may be in luck. But I would sill like a definitive anwer.

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

Williams308

46%
02 Rank
Progress
Williams308
Accepted Solution
ill get the new slim ps3 cos i dont have 1 cos my 60gb refurb craped it self  bak in october 08 n i wasent guna pay $300 somthing for another refurb  if i buy the slim im gettin 3,5 year warrenty like i did with my original xbox lol n tbh that saved me $$$
0 Kudos

Photobucket

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

Arathane

97%
04 Rank
Progress
Arathane
Accepted Solution

Im even considering trading in my 40gb for the new slim. (depending on how much the trade-in is worth) its either that or, as many of you have done, upgrading my HDD. Ive finally filled it and i still have stuff waiting to be downloaded :P

Oh and heres a pic from the latest EB email:

slim price.jpg

Im still not sure i like the matte finish on the slim though, i prefer the beautiful shiny black finish of the "Fat" ones :P

Message Edited by Arathane on 02-09-2009 08:08 AM
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

NeoNeptune

60%
02 Rank
Progress
NeoNeptune
Accepted Solution
Remember the whole EA controversy thing... and now PS3 Slim is getting sort of bundled with it yeah.... doesnt matter just a Big Conspiracy >.> jks...
0 Kudos

View our house rules for posts
Post Reply Update Reply Cancel