93%
04 Rank
Progress

FAQ - Connection problems to PSN?

36 Replies 48,510 Views Created 15-03-2010
15 Mar 2010
By TTDegs

Hi all :)

As with my other FAQ threads, this one isn't really designed as a discussion, but rather as a set of generic tips to save me typing them all out each time :)

They are put together mainly from stuff I've picked up in these forums, and also calling on my (too many!) years experience of sorting out networks and internet connection problems :)

Hopefully they will be a starter for 10 for you, but if they don't help, or you are still having problems and feel the need to start a new thread, please see my reply below on how you can help us to help you :)

IF you feel the need to start a new thread

PLEASE give us the info we need to help :)

As a minimum, please tell us:

1) any error messages you are getting (typically numeric)

2) when the problem happens (just one game, all games, accessing PSN Store or Home?)

3) if you can actually sign in to PSN at all

4) run the network connection test, and tell us where it fails (or tell us that it works)

5) who your ISP is

6) what make and model your router is

7) how you connect your PS3 to the router

8) if this is something which has never worked, or used to work

9) what DNS servers you use (or tell us if you don't know what that means :))

10) if you have changed your MTU (again, don't worry if you don't know what that is :))

11) if your PS3 is in the router DMZ (ditto again :))

thank you! :)

(There probably will be follow up questions ;))

LABELS:

* YLOD? * *PSN Connection Problems?* *Blu Ray Problems

And we weren't even testing for that.. :Thumbs:

View our house rules for posts
Post Reply Update Reply Cancel

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

TTDegs

93%
04 Rank
Progress
TTDegs
Accepted Solution

Some general tips:

1) First up, don't ever be surprised if the Network test reports a speed which is lower than your PC is getting.  For starters, the network speed result is only a rough guess, and secondly, your PS3 is going via PSN, which adds overheads.

Also, see below about wired vs wireless, especially if your PC and PS3 connect to your router differently.

A good thing to try is to:

On your PC, go to www.speedtest.net and www.pingtest.net

jot down the results.

On your PS3 browser, do the same (note that pingtest.net will probably fail to give complete results, saying that at least some pings were blocked - this is normal)

compare the results.

Then read on :)

0 Kudos

FAQ - Connection problems to PSN?

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

TTDegs

93%
04 Rank
Progress
TTDegs
Accepted Solution

2) Check your DNS servers.  If you set up your PS3 using 'easy', then it will be using whatever DNS servers your router manufacturer happened to think would be best.  

They might well not be.  

On the PS3, go into Network settings, select 'manual' and skip through the screens until you get to DNS servers.  Change from 'auto' to whatever DNS servers you prefer.  Personally I find that Google's work well, which are at 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4

DNS servers are main boxes on the internet, which basically point your internet traffic to the correct location. A bit like an online version of the yellow pages, except there are lots of different versions.  

An out of date DNS server, or one that is perhaps overworked, will not be as quick as a better one.

0 Kudos

FAQ - Connection problems to PSN? - DNS

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

TTDegs

93%
04 Rank
Progress
TTDegs
Accepted Solution

3) Consider your ISP.  

Many ISPs do weird and wonderful things, and try to keep quiet about it...  

Ignoring for the moment the whole 'up to Xmb' stuff, many also throttle (slow down) connections at certain times of the day, or for certain kinds of traffic.

Unfortunately, to some ISPs, PS3 traffic looks a lot like peer-to-peer traffic, which they often use as a target to slow down :(

Some can even vary the amount of traffic / speed depending on which package (£s) you are on.

Ask around your mates, or other people on here, who they recommend :)

Or if others are using the same ISP as you, and having problems :(

A good source of info can often be the un-official (or even official) forums of your particular ISP.

0 Kudos

FAQ - Connection problems to PSN? - ISP

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

TTDegs

93%
04 Rank
Progress
TTDegs
Accepted Solution

4) Look at how your PS3 connects to your router.

Wired = best (but not always practical)

Wireless = a good fall back. But unless your PS3 is pretty much right next to the router (in which case you might as well go wired), it WILL be slower than wired, and more prone to interference. Which is not a good thing.  You also have to faff around with security keys, although this should be a one off issue.

Note that a good wireless connection today may not be a good wireless connection tomorrow :(

If your next door neighbour buys a new fridge / microwave / wireless router of their own, it could interfere with your signal :(

Extra note - PS3s do NOT support the N or N+ wireless standard at time of writing (including and up to the 120Gb and 250Gb slims).

Buying an N or N+ wireless router may well speed up any other wireless devices you use (assuming they support it), but it won't help your PS3 wireless connection.

Homeplugs = a very good compromise, giving speeds up to as good as wired.  Uses you house electrical circuits as 'pretend' wired connection.  Costs circa £40 though, but can be money well spent if you want wired speed / reliability but can't use ethernet cables.

0 Kudos

Re: FAQ - Connection problems to PSN? - Wired / Wireless?

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

TTDegs

93%
04 Rank
Progress
TTDegs
Accepted Solution

5) MTU size

MTU (or Maximum Transmission Unit I believe), is basically the amount of data that the PS3 will attempt to send as a single 'packet'.

This packet of data then joins the internet, along with all the others packets, and your data is put back together at the other end :)

In theory at least ;)

However, some ISPs don't work well with certain sized packets...

The default MTU on the PS3 is 1500.

IF your ISP uses an MTU size of 1400, each of your packets will be chopped up - leading to increased delays :(

At time of writing, AOL is well known for doing this, and therefore AOL users should set their PS3 MTU to 1400.

To do this, use the network settings option, select 'manual' and skip through the screens until you get to the MTU option :)

0 Kudos

Re: FAQ - Connection problems to PSN? - MTU

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

TTDegs

93%
04 Rank
Progress
TTDegs
Accepted Solution

6) DMZ and UPnP = NAT type

In theory, these 2 things go together :)

The aim of the game is to get NAT type 2 :) (or 1...)

NAT 3 = not good :(

Briefly:

NAT 1 = PS3 connected directly to the internet.  Rare in the UK.

NAT 2 = PS3 connected to internet via a router, but allowing traffic - a good thing :)

NAT 3 = PS3 connected to internet via a router, but blocking traffic - a bad thing :(

If UPnP works on your router, and your PS3 recognises it, you shouldn't need to use the DMZ :)

UPnP works by automatically adjusting the router to allow whatever traffic the PS3 needs - which is a good thing :)

Your PS3 should therefore report a NAT type of 2 :)

If UPnP is not working properly, you may well get NAT type 3 :(

This will almost certainly lead to connection problems, especially to games :(

But all is not lost! :)

You can sort this out, but this is really a whole thread in itself.

Several people on here (and elsewhere) have written good guides to doing it, or I may knock something up later :)

0 Kudos

FAQ - Connection problems to PSN? - DMZ, UPnP and NAT

[ Edited ]

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

TTDegs

93%
04 Rank
Progress
TTDegs
Accepted Solution

8) Some generic stuff that didn't fit anywhere else :)

Basically, some general tips on how to get the best from your broadband connection :)

Many things affect your 'net connection speed in general (ie the speed you get at your PC / PS3 / 360 / wii / whatever), and are not PS3 specific.

Probably the most important ones are:

1) The micro-filter (ADSL connections only - not cable [Virgin in the UK]).

The micro-filter which came with your router was basically free. And you get what you pay for ;)

You will almost certainly benefit from upgrading to a 'proper' micro-filter, such as an 'ADSLNation' (do a google ;))

This replaces the faceplate on your master BT socket (which is OK to do), and gives a much 'cleaner' signal. 

For the sake of about £15 - well it was one of the first things I did :)

2) the cable from the master socket to the router.

Again, the one you got with the router was free... ;)

Over a short distance, even the free one will probably be up to the job :)

If, however, you have (as I did originally) trailed a 20m extension lead (which cost £2.50) from the master socket to where the router is - seriously consider either moving the router, or upgrading the cable.

3) wireless signal.

If you HAVE to use wireless, play around with what channel you are using (accessed from the router interface using a PC).

Depending on what other wireless networks / interference is in your area, some channels will give better results than others.

Also bear in mind that playing with the aerial direction may help - significantly, the wireless signal is broadcast out of the sides of the aerial, not the top / pointy bit :)

4) security.

Worth checking, even if you don't use wireless...

If you don't use wireless at all, check that it is turned off on the router :)

If you do use it, PLEASE make sure it is encrypted, for your own sake :)

It is also worth looking into using MAC addresses to limit access to only the devices you approve, and turning off the SSID broadcast.

Ask if you need to know how to do this, as it is a bit more complex ;)

Think that's it! :)

Although no doubt I've forgotten something ;)

Hope it helped :)

If it didn't, and you need to post a new thread, please note back to my first post in this one, and include the info to help us help you :Thumbs:

0 Kudos

FAQ - Connection problems to PSN? - Generic stuff

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

Atkins11

31%
02 Rank
Progress
Atkins11
Accepted Solution

After the whole connection problems at the start of march, I still havnt been able to go online on my ps3, Please help :(

0 Kudos

Re: FAQ - Connection problems to PSN?

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

TTDegs

93%
04 Rank
Progress
TTDegs
Accepted Solution

@Atkins11 wrote:

After the whole connection problems at the start of march, I still havnt been able to go online on my ps3, Please help :(

Many thanks for starting a new thread, so as not to turn this one into a discussion :)

0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

Atkins11

31%
02 Rank
Progress
Atkins11
Accepted Solution

thank you :)

No error messages, Happened 1st march when it first didnt sign in.  It continously says signing in and never does.  last week the connection test failed on playstation network but now its failed on obtaining IP address.  I use an ethernet cable to the router. 

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

TTDegs

93%
04 Rank
Progress
TTDegs
Accepted Solution
I've taken the liberty of replying to that in your thread, rather than in this one - hope that's ok :)
0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

slimi-d77

75%
02 Rank
Progress
slimi-d77
Accepted Solution

My Internet connection is working and PSN Is working just fine but all my games wont show up. i put them in and the disc logo dont show up, so i cant play the game :smileysad: please help.

0 Kudos

photo Whatever_zps8a44511c.png

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

Swagatron7

21%
02 Rank
Progress
Swagatron7
Accepted Solution

It happens in the middle of games,while im browsing the internet, and even when im not using the internet.  This is a big problem for me because it happens so frequently and when iim playing mw3 and it signs out it kicks me out of the match because "my sign in status changed" PLEASE HELP ME!  it can't be my internet i do have a wifi connection and im using it for my ipod laptop and pc and there are no interferences with the connection. I have no idea why this is happening so please give me a solution. 

0 Kudos

My psn account signs out by itself at random times

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

Coolavy

28%
02 Rank
Progress
Coolavy
Accepted Solution

Hi,

I't looks a bit different for me:

I bought PS3 last Friday. I connected it to internet without any problems but 30% of cases when I'm trying to access PS store I'm getting a message about service maintenance. Usually it works fine, I can download contents from network, Internet works fine but from time to time I'm getting mentioned info. My firends are telling me that I'm connecting and disconnecting from PSN all the time.

Additionally my internet test always fails Playstation Network test. I tried wireless and wired connections with two different routers. I also shared internet connection from my smartfon from T-Mobile with the same result. 

I found one post on the forum with guys having the same problem as I do:

http://community.eu.playstation.com/t5/Technical-Help/Various-PSN-errors-since-Sunday-Maintenance/td...

Does anyone have a fix for it or should I go to shop and try to exchange the console?

0 Kudos

Re: My psn account signs out by itself at random times

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

Sleekender

31%
02 Rank
Progress
Sleekender
Accepted Solution

1) any error messages you are getting - "Connection to playstation network has timed out"

2) when the problem happens - when accessing the playstation network

3) if you can actually sign in to PSN at all - NO

4) run the network connection test, and tell us where it fails - connection test succeeded.

5) who your ISP is - not sure (IP: 172.16.13.186)

6) what make and model your router is - don't know

7) how you connect your PS3 to the router -  wired (LAN)

8) if this is something which has never worked, or used to work (Never worked)

9) what DNS servers you use (or tell us if you don't know what that means :smileyhappy:) - don't know

10) if you have changed your MTU (again, don't worry if you don't know what that is :smileyhappy:) no

11) if your PS3 is in the router DMZ (ditto again :smileyhappy:) dunno

I should also note that sometime there is a display of "error 7531 (disconnected from media server)".

Thank you.

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

TTDegs

93%
04 Rank
Progress
TTDegs
Accepted Solution

More DNS bits

As suggested by scotjock81 in this thread -> http://community.eu.playstation.com/t5/PlayStation-Network/spike-in-dns-errors/m-p/10637901#U1063790...

A DNS error being reported doesn't necessarily mean you have a DNS issue.

It really just means that it can't find what it is looking for, which could actually be due to a number of other issues.

scotjock81's were down to router UPnP getting messed up.

As a test, to see if it really IS a DNS problem, leave your PS3 on DNS auto, and on your PC (or PS3 browser) try his suggestion:

"DNS is the look-up for a web page URL so if instead of the URL you use the web page IP address and it connects then it's a DNS server problem.
eg www.bbc.co.uk = 212.58.253.68 if using www.bbc.co.uk fails but using 212.58.253.68 connects then it's a DNS problem"

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

BulletProof_Cat

36%
02 Rank
Progress
BulletProof_Cat
Accepted Solution

i have just recently got a problem. i'll describe what i can off the top of my head. when i try to sign in it just says that it can't connect to the psn network and every now and then says and error has occured pelase check your network settings. so i followed what it said and when i try and scan for my router it doesn't and i can't enter the ssid manually either. i basically it won't let me change my internet settings.

is there anyway around this problem?

0 Kudos

BulletProof_Cat 1

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

TTDegs

93%
04 Rank
Progress
TTDegs
Accepted Solution
could be down to one of 2 things:

1) your router might not be broadcasting the SSID - rebooting the router may help
2) your PS3 network card may be kaput... if you put your laptop next to the PS3, can it see the SSID?

can your PS3 see ANY ssid's at all?
0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

krisisslv

32%
02 Rank
Progress
krisisslv
Accepted Solution

1) any error messages you are getting (typically numeric)- Anyway he dnt find my internet :D

2) when the problem happens (just one game, all games, accessing PSN Store or Home?) -everytime

3) if you can actually sign in to PSN at all- Nope

4) run the network connection test, and tell us where it fails (or tell us that it works) -read 1st one

5) who your ISP is- i dunno

6) what make and model your router is- i dnt have be case i have wirlles internet some how like that :D

7) how you connect your PS3 to the router- -

8) if this is something which has never worked, or used to work- ???

9) what DNS servers you use (or tell us if you don't know what that means :smileyhappy:) -

10) if you have changed your MTU (again, don't worry if you don't know what that is :smileyhappy:)-

11) if your PS3 is in the router DMZ (ditto again :smileyhappy:)-

i go to search any who is turned internet on but always he find same but that isn my so he dont find my one :/

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

TTDegs

93%
04 Rank
Progress
TTDegs
Accepted Solution

@krisisslv wrote:

1) any error messages you are getting (typically numeric)- Anyway he dnt find my internet :D

2) when the problem happens (just one game, all games, accessing PSN Store or Home?) -everytime

3) if you can actually sign in to PSN at all- Nope

4) run the network connection test, and tell us where it fails (or tell us that it works) -read 1st one

5) who your ISP is- i dunno

6) what make and model your router is- i dnt have be case i have wirlles internet some how like that :D

7) how you connect your PS3 to the router- -

8) if this is something which has never worked, or used to work- ???

9) what DNS servers you use (or tell us if you don't know what that means :smileyhappy:) -

10) if you have changed your MTU (again, don't worry if you don't know what that is :smileyhappy:)-

11) if your PS3 is in the router DMZ (ditto again :smileyhappy:)-

i go to search any who is turned internet on but always he find same but that isn my so he dont find my one :/

Krisslv - can you put that into a new post please, so that we don't clutter this one up?

many thanks!

PS.  If you're trying to connect via wireless, you will need to know where the router is (the box that is connected to your phone line or cable)

0 Kudos

View our house rules for posts
Post Reply Update Reply Cancel