42%
02 Rank
Progress

PS4 keeps dropping internet connection

[ Edited ]
40 Replies 13,831 Views edited 11-06-2018
11 Jun 2018
By WiggyWeir

Ever since I got my PS4 pro I’ve been noticing that it keeps dropping connection to the internet.

At first I was using it wirelessly because I couldn’t really be bothered laying a LAN cable to my router and was accepting of slower speeds, but it kept dropping connection.
I would be watching YouTube and the video would buffer, I would then press the PS button and would get a message saying it had lost connection to the server.

The only way to fix that was to run the ‘Test connection’ in network settings.

This is happening constantly which renders using my PS4 for anything other than offline play useless 

I then laid a LAN cable to my router and thought the problem would go away although it started again. Although this time it would not complete the test connection and I would have to reboot my PS4.

I have wiped the system and performed a database rebuild which did not work.

I know this issue is somewhere on the PS4 side be that the hardware or firmware because everything else on my network runs as it should

I’ve been reading some forums and it looks like a lot of people are having this issue. I’m undecided on what to do, take the PS4 back for a replacement? Wait to see if it’s a firmware issue and it to be fixed?

Is anyone else having this problem?

LABELS: Online Gaming
View our house rules for posts
Post Reply Update Reply Cancel

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
MVP
/16

mont348

• MVP
100%
16 Rank
Progress
mont348
PPereira20
Accepted Solution

What you are describing it's your router's firewall causing problems which can be resolved by opening ports or setting up a DMZ. 

https://community.eu.playstation.com/t5/Gaming-Network-Support/How-to-put-your-PS3-or-PS4-into-a-DMZ...

https://portforward.com/networking/static-ip-ps4/

https://help.ea.com/uk/help/faq/opening-tcp-or-udp-ports-for-connection-issues/

Plenty of information in the links above however the easiest option is setting up a DMZ. 

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

PPereira20

36%
02 Rank
Progress
PPereira20
mont348
Accepted Solution

Thanks for the info.

I'll try changing that in the router settings. I'll let you know if the problem gets fixed 

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

PPereira20

36%
02 Rank
Progress
PPereira20
mont348
Accepted Solution

I've checked and my router (FRITZ!Box) does not support the implementation of a DMZ (https://en.avm.de/service/fritzbox/fritzbox-7430/knowledge-base/publication/show/131_Setting-up-a-DM...).

I've tried assigning a static IP to my PS4 and opening the following ports suggested by Sony:
- TCP: 80, 443, 3478, 3479, 3480
- UDP: 3478, 3479

After this, I tried downloading a game just to see if my download speed had been affected (my internet speed is around 80-90 Mbps). Even though 80-90 Mbps is what it says in the PS4 everytime I do a connection test, my download speeds were always only around 10-14 Mbps. After setting up the static IP and opening the ports, my download speed remained at 10-14 Mbps for about 3 minutes before dropping to 1-3 Mbps.

The issue I described before with the game activity and friend activity sections sometimes failing to load persists.

0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
MVP
/16

mont348

• MVP
100%
16 Rank
Progress
mont348
PPereira20
Accepted Solution

I have read nothing but bad things about the Fritzbox, over the years there's been many reporting PSN problems with Fritzbox users on these forums.

The ports you have opened will only cover PSN itself and not game servers from third party publishers such as EA. 

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

Rickyroze100

22%
02 Rank
Progress
Rickyroze100
Accepted Solution

I am just setting up my ps4 and I cant even get through completing my network setup before it drops me. I have no been trying for 5 hours and I am 5 ft from my router. I meed help asap!

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

Xiovanni

25%
02 Rank
Progress
Xiovanni
Accepted Solution

Having same problem... just got KH3 PronEdition and it randomly started happening as I was setting up the internet and trying to sign in... is this still an ongoing issue?

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

toobesteak

23%
02 Rank
Progress
toobesteak
Accepted Solution

having same issues. Start playing a game online and wait 5 minutes and get "Connection Interupted" and then i lag out of game session . happening with any online game i play on my ps4. I have called my ISP and everything is working fine on their end. switched out to new lan cables , and still having same issue. 

Please help... started having problems about 1-2 days after new update with call of duty blackout

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

DoctorWhom9

21%
02 Rank
Progress
DoctorWhom9
Accepted Solution

I used to own a playstation 4 but it was stolen out of my home. I recently purchased a Pro and I have been experiencing the same problem. I have had my PS4 Pro for almost a month and I have not found a solution. It drops connection every 15 minutes or so, I have tried an ethernet cable and had no success fixing the issue. Changing the frequency from automatic to either 5 ghz or 2.4 ghz only has not helped either because I do not know how to set a static IP for my router. If anyone could help I would greatly appreciate it

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
MVP
/16

mont348

• MVP
100%
16 Rank
Progress
mont348
DoctorWhom9
Accepted Solution

To setup a static IP address for your PS4 head to system settings then network settings and View connection status. Make a note of your current automatic settings of IP address, subnet mask, default gateway, primary and secondary DNS. 

Now you are going to setup your PS4's network connection manually from the the information you have noted from above but this time make a slight change to the IP address. If your IP address was 192.168.0.2 or 192.168.1.2 for example change the last set of digits to higher value to something away from the lower end, I would personally use 100 so it would be like this 192.168.0.100 or 192.168.1.100.

Now that your PS4 has a static IP address you can forward ports or setup a DMZ to this new IP address via your router admin. 

0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

jay868686tee

47%
02 Rank
Progress
jay868686tee
Accepted Solution

I got exactly the same probblem.

Bought a playstation 4 pro (rdr2) which immediately got an update to 6.20. so, no idea if the internet had worked before.

I tried all the suggested settings on the PS4 and the router.

Wired or wifi, static IP or not, the internet connection is lost every few minutes.

If I start a download however, and don't use the PS4 at all during the time downloading, the internet stays connected and the download goes through perfectly!!

So, my best bet is that it's a combination of hardware (a certain ps4 model and the software).

Very frustrating...

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

HerniPes

37%
02 Rank
Progress
HerniPes
jay868686tee
Accepted Solution

Me too. Brand new console with same problem.

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

Gabr1elCarvalho

24%
02 Rank
Progress
Gabr1elCarvalho
Accepted Solution

I’be bought my PS4 Pro 3 days ago, and I’m having the same issue, since I’ve bought I Can’t play any online game for more then 15 minutes...

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

Lord_Passat

60%
02 Rank
Progress
Lord_Passat
Accepted Solution

I have the same issue, details also posted here:

https://www.reddit.com/r/PS4/comments/9k8urx/ps4_drops_internet_connection_every_hour/

Every hour, at the exact same time my PS4 (using LAN) drops the connection just for a fraction of a second. So at 6:41, 7:41, 8:41, etc.

I replaced the LAN cable and the router, reset the PS4, bypassed the router and connected the internet cable directly into the PS4 (!) and it still happens.

I ran pings on my phone and notebook for 8.8.8.8 and there was no packet loss.

I also ran a ping test (every 1000ms) to my PS4 from within my Linksys router and it showed the moment it disconnects the usual router-to-PS4 ping drops from 0.4-0.5 ms to 1.14 ms. Just for the duriation of a single ping. All the other pings are good and there is no packet loss reported.

I have asked my ISP to investigate but they are very reluctant to do anything about it.

I have tried assigning a fixed IP address to the PS4, didn't help. DHCP lease time is 1440 mins. But... changing to a completely different router and the problem still being there makes me think it has to be either the PS4 or the ISP.

Anyone has any suggestions?

Thank you in advance.

0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
MVP
/16

mont348

• MVP
100%
16 Rank
Progress
mont348
Lord_Passat
Accepted Solution

I would say it's your ISP because of the timed disconnections happening on the exact minute every hour. 

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

Lord_Passat

60%
02 Rank
Progress
Lord_Passat
mont348
Accepted Solution

Agreed, but they are being very useless.

Just updated my first post as I forgot to mention that bypassing the router and directly connecting the incoming internet cable from the ISP to the PS4 does not help either.

Thank you.

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
MVP
/16

mont348

• MVP
100%
16 Rank
Progress
mont348
Lord_Passat
Accepted Solution

I would definitely say it's the ISP probably some kind of routing issue outside of your home network. 

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

Lord_Passat

60%
02 Rank
Progress
Lord_Passat
mont348
Accepted Solution

My ISP confirms that I'm given a new IP address every hour and some services (PS, Netflix, VOIP) can lose connection during this brief outage.  I had to sign up for a static IP service which is supposed to help resolve this. I will message you tomorrow when the switch to static IP is supposed to take place.

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

Lord_Passat

60%
02 Rank
Progress
Lord_Passat
Accepted Solution

My ISP explained that because I don't have a static IP, they update my IP address every hour.

Certain internet processes are sensitive to this brief moment when the IP gets renewed and the PS services are typically are such.

I signed up for static IP and that solved the problem, I no longer get disconnected. 

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
MVP
/16

mont348

• MVP
100%
16 Rank
Progress
mont348
Lord_Passat
Accepted Solution

Good news. 

The ISP I am with provides a static IP as standard however it can potentially change after a router restart but will keep that IP address until the next router restart. 

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

chris211287

28%
02 Rank
Progress
chris211287