View Original Post
08 Aug 2008
By I_SCAR_I

I_SCAR_I

• Beta Tester
89%
05 Rank
Progress

No image importing (Unless you have PS EYE)

35 Replies 2,362 Views Created 08-08-2008
08 Aug 2008
By I_SCAR_I

A developer over on the Official Playstation blog has pretty much confirmed that there will be no image importing other than through the PS EYE.

Q:Will I be able to import my cat pics into my created levels?

A: Yes you will! (If you have a PS Eye that is.)

Those hoping to use photoshop or similar tools to create there own pictures and textures to import into LBP will no doubt be saddened by this news. Of course you could always drag your PS EYE over to your PC monitor or even print your image off and take it to your PS EYE. But there will no doubt be a huge loss in quality, it would also be a huge and unnecessary inconvenience not to mention the added hardware cost of a PS EYE ( RRP £24.99).

So how does the LittleBigPlanet community feel about this? bothered, not bothered? Feel like SONY are just trying to use a AAA title to drive hardware sales of the PS EYE? Do you think there are other reasons or motives behind this decision? Either way, please Play, Create, Share. :smileyhappy:

0 Kudos
LABELS:

View our house rules for posts
Post Reply Update Reply Cancel

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

Sam_Protagonist

80%
02 Rank
Progress
Sam_Protagonist
Accepted Solution
The message from Alex was absolutely correct.

The only way to import fresh images into LittleBigPlanet is using the PlayStation Eye. This may be disappointing to those who've already been busily creating art for the game using their PC however you shouldn't see it as a complete inability to use that content you've created. While limiting content import to PlayStation Eye only may reduce the flexibility you have in adding fresh content to your game it shouldn't stop you importing all your created works in either by taking a snap of the screen of your PC, or of a printout of the item in question - no, it's not quite the same, but it doesn't mean your work is wasted.

There are several reasons this limitation is in place, however one of the more significant ones is that levels that use a lot of bespoke imagery get to be very big in terms of size very quickly. The Create thermometer fills up very quickly if you're capturing or importing a lot of new images.
0 Kudos

Re: No image importing (Unless you have PS EYE)

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

BasketSnake

96%
02 Rank
Progress
BasketSnake
Accepted Solution
Dear god. Well I'm going to be pointing my PS eye at my pc monitor then. This was the worst news I've heard in a long time. Still....I have the PS eye so I will find a way to do it.
0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

vonhammer

82%
04 Rank
Progress
vonhammer
Accepted Solution
Thanks for the clarification Sam
I 'm gutted about this though,fair enough if the eye was heavily supported on the store by Sony and other development teams but I see it being underused because nobody will risk making a game for a product that isn't owned by a majority of consumers. It should be bundled with all new ps3's or in from the start next time around.

LOL I suppose I'll have to get one now, but won't be happy about it.
0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

missionfailed

60%
02 Rank
Progress
missionfailed
Accepted Solution

Ponders:  The thought of MM developers of the pre-defined levels all using PS EYEs to get their patterns into the game..... (picture this : wires dangling across the shared PS3 in the Guildford office - "Hey Dave, you finished scanning in your teeth yet ?, I've gotta do this sandpaper !"   )               Nahhhh !!! stuff that thought.

While I can see that the memory usage could get a little wild with someones inability to scale content to save on valuable 'playing' space surely you could put measures into say restrict the size of an imported image from the HDD. Seems very simple to implement and often used by many applications.

0 Kudos

--
10 things about binary you should know. Some get it and some don't.

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

missionfailed

60%
02 Rank
Progress
missionfailed
Accepted Solution

in addition to my previous vision of using the PSEYE ..

I cant help but say that this is a Marketing Hi-Jack - All  for the sake of a simple size and quality checking routines !!

Just to get our content into the game, They will be turning us into this  -->: http://www.noob.us/humor/meet-the-halo-weapons-kid/

Edited to give the kid some credit for his craftwork (maybe thats too far), but look at the quality of the closeups, its not going to bring the colours out.

Message Edited by missionfailed on 12-08-2008 05:31 PM
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
--

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

EthaN2k7

88%
02 Rank
Progress
EthaN2k7
Accepted Solution

Yeah, I think this is quite a big let down. I mean you could cap the limit on images that are allowed to be imported.

0 Kudos

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Award Winner
/16

European_Gamer

• Award Winner
99%
08 Rank
Progress
European_Gamer
Accepted Solution
Alex Evans said at E3 >stickers are just images that i can have imported from my harddrive, taken my EyeToy kamera(meaning PlaystationEye) even<  you can all see and hear it by watching the video on Media Molecules website(under games).
0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

andoru

42%
02 Rank
Progress
andoru
Accepted Solution
I can understand that level size will dramatically increase if using a lot of bespoke images but surely you are going to encounter the same problem if someone imports a lot of EyeToy images into their level.  In which case, what does it matter where the images come from?  Even if there is a cap to the number of EyeToy images allowed, then surely a similar cap could be applied to images from other sources.  I think the reasons not given are probably more conclusive ;)
0 Kudos

ando

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

Animation-Imp

46%
02 Rank
Progress
Animation-Imp
Accepted Solution

This all seems a bit fishy to me.

Jpeg or PNG files can easily be kept under the 1MB mark.

I woud Imagine the ps-eye files wouldn't take much less.

So size shouldn't be the main issue here.

Is this a devious marketing move to try and sell more ps eye camera's?

No I think not as u can use pretty much every camera (even the 360 video camera).

So I guess the main problem is comparability issues.

When you capture a pic using the ps eye in-game, the file-type can be defined by the software.

This is the easiest way to make sure everything imported will show up in the game.

As an animator and director I really hope jpeg or png support is added in a later update.

I just don't see myself taking low-rez angled shots of my artwork to get them looking awfull in an environment where the public can see them.

That's like asking a composer to record his music, burn it on a disc, and then play the disc on a crappy stereo and re-record it using a crappy mic.

I think jpeg or png support is imperative for making truly unique and beautifull levels. 

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

tomahawx

96%
02 Rank
Progress
tomahawx
Accepted Solution

@Animation-Imp wrote:

This all seems a bit fishy to me.

Jpeg or PNG files can easily be kept under the 1MB mark.

I woud Imagine the ps-eye files wouldn't take much less.

So size shouldn't be the main issue here.

Is this a devious marketing move to try and sell more ps eye camera's?

No I think not as u can use pretty much every camera (even the 360 video camera).

So I guess the main problem is comparability issues.

When you capture a pic using the ps eye in-game, the file-type can be defined by the software.

This is the easiest way to make sure everything imported will show up in the game.

As an animator and director I really hope jpeg or png support is added in a later update.

I just don't see myself taking low-rez angled shots of my artwork to get them looking awfull in an environment where the public can see them.

That's like asking a composer to record his music, burn it on a disc, and then play the disc on a crappy stereo and re-record it using a crappy mic.

I think jpeg or png support is imperative for making truly unique and beautifull levels. 

From what Sam says, they are listening to the masses. They already know our concerns with it and I'm sure that if demand is high enough, then they will do something about it with a future update. I suppose this sort of thing needs to be beta tested quite heavily and although you and I (as a fellow director/editor) would know how to regulate file sizes, the majority would just want to import pictures directly from their camera.

It would get quite frustrating for someone who isn't 'in the know' trying to import a picture and being told that the file size is too large. How do they overcome this? What if they don't have a PC? Are they then unable to create the level as they intended? All of these sort of questions need to be asked before they incorporate a feature like this into the game. After all, they want to make sure that anyone with a PS3 can just pick up the game and play every aspect of the game on PS3.

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

BasketSnake

96%
02 Rank
Progress
BasketSnake
Accepted Solution
I'd show each levels filesize on the patch description so you know how many megs you're downloading and then implement jpeg at a later date. It just has to happen.
0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

Br0ken84

60%
02 Rank
Progress
Br0ken84
Accepted Solution
Dammit! I came here to find out if this was true. Kinda absurd to restrict in this way, pretty lame.
0 Kudos

If you've bought PS3 iTrophies please do review/rate the application on the App Store - Thank you.

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

missionfailed

60%
02 Rank
Progress
missionfailed
Accepted Solution

@BasketSnake wrote:
I'd show each levels filesize on the patch description so you know how many megs you're downloading and then implement jpeg at a later date. It just has to happen.

Not to keep on about this, as having a PS-EYE to hand shouldn't be an issue, but it reminds me of the "class" sketch with John Cleese ( http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=AIMzWHdKxPY ). Sony - Suppliers - End users.
0 Kudos

--

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

meltedsnake48

21%
02 Rank
Progress
meltedsnake48
Accepted Solution

Still, taking a pic with the PS eye camera isn't that bad, I have a pretty good photo of cratos on my account, I think it would be bad if you take the pic off a computer screen, you could easily see the lines of pixels glowing, but with the right lighting and printer you arn't losing much quality because when you paste the stiker it looks LBP'ishh it blends well with the material, and it isn't that notisable. Although I would like to import them from the hard drive, it would be so much simpler.

Little Big Planet Rocks.

P.S. I was wondering if anyone knew a good way of making thunder in a level, i figured a couple of ways like an emitter, does anyone know the best settings, I reallywould like having the best level possible(on my standards), so if you know the best settings for the emitters please contanct me on my psn Italiano48151623, I'm using my other account to write this because I forgot my password, but have auto sign in so it's fine, wtv, thx

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

flux7

60%
02 Rank
Progress
flux7
Accepted Solution

@Sam_Protagonist wrote:
The message from Alex was absolutely correct.

The only way to import fresh images into LittleBigPlanet is using the PlayStation Eye. This may be disappointing to those who've already been busily creating art for the game using their PC however you shouldn't see it as a complete inability to use that content you've created. While limiting content import to PlayStation Eye only may reduce the flexibility you have in adding fresh content to your game it shouldn't stop you importing all your created works in either by taking a snap of the screen of your PC, or of a printout of the item in question - no, it's not quite the same, but it doesn't mean your work is wasted.

There are several reasons this limitation is in place, however one of the more significant ones is that levels that use a lot of bespoke imagery get to be very big in terms of size very quickly. The Create thermometer fills up very quickly if you're capturing or importing a lot of new images.

Sam,

I understand the whole thermometer filing thing, people moan as it is without custom stickers but could you please explain why this pic on your (Mm) Flickr stream indicates WE WILL BE ABLE to import?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/mediamolecule/3002663511/

Thanks and keep up the good work!

0 Kudos

View our house rules for posts
Post Reply Update Reply Cancel