93%
05 Rank
Progress

Happy 10th Birthday PlayStation 2

15 Replies 1,199 Views Created 24-11-2010
24 Nov 2010
By TehRadge

132052iC038193140C455C4

Today is the 24th of November.  A very special day for lovers of video gaming.  For it was the day that the legendary PlayStation 2 system came out in Europe in 2000.  

Oh and there's a racing game out in the shops for PS3 too.

If you want to be reminded of just how important the PS2 is here are some facts

To date, a whopping 147.6 million PS2 consoles have been sold worldwide, 51.9 million of which were sold within SCEE territories. Over 1.5 billion PS2 games have been sold across the world since launch… and even today, the PS2 sales phenomenon continues marching forward – most notably in the Emerging Markets

Why not share your memories with us today?  When was your PS2 golden era?  Do you still play regularly?  What games have you played the most on PS2?  

Share your experiences :D

0 Kudos
LABELS:
View our house rules for posts
Post Reply Update Reply Cancel

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

Lt_Fed_Brusque

98%
07 Rank
Progress
Lt_Fed_Brusque
Accepted Solution

How time flies :) I have some fond memories from this golden age of gaming...

SSX

Timesplitters

Ico

Shadow of the Colossus

Final Fantasy XII

Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater

Beyond Good and Evil

and many many more :)

0 Kudos

Re: Happy 10th Birthday PlayStation 2

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Award Winner
/16

RockHardSemi

• Award Winner
93%
06 Rank
Progress
RockHardSemi
Accepted Solution
One of my fondest/sadistic memories of the PS2 was the game "PSI: OPS the Mindgate Conspiracy".

This game was about a man who had physic abilities and could use Telekinesis, Pyrokinesis and such. What was great was it was an 18+ game. Combine your Telekinesis with a wind turbine and find out why it was rated an 18+.

Also Gran Turismo 3: A-Spec was a nice way to widdle away the hours, and boy was there a lot of hours to waste there! I'd do those races that took 2-3 hours to complete in order to have a chance at winning a Polyphony F1 (type) car. After all those Renault Clios etc. I finally got one. I was genuinely so excited, it was to the point of sadness. It was worth it though, that car was pure awesome.

0 Kudos

JOIN THE REVOLUCION

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

trevortm

91%
04 Rank
Progress
trevortm
Accepted Solution
i got mine later on, first disk that went in, 13 aka XIII
last game to come out tony hawks project 8

good times :D
0 Kudos

I accidentally my post
Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

Gutfather

88%
04 Rank
Progress
Gutfather
Accepted Solution

hmm so im 6 years and one day older then ps2 awsome

i remeber my first game on ps2

was true crime streets of LA

loved that game...infact i still have it and it still works

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

Semaphia

97%
10 Rank
Progress
Semaphia
Accepted Solution
I got my PS2 for Christmas 2001, I was 13 at the time... It came with Crazy Taxi, Smugglers Run, Red Faction, Timesplitters and a few more I can't honestly remember. I had some great fun with my lil brother on Red Faction, I'd set it so it was me versus him and lots of easy bots, and I'd slaughter them all constantly and laugh at him :P

Highlight for me was probably Final Fantasy X & Vice City. Both era defining games. FFX was the most beautiful game I'd ever seen at the time and I'd give absolutely anything for a reworked PS3 version, or atleast I'd like to see it as a download from the PSN store. I know its a PS2 game but its gotta be doable. That'd be killer :)

Happy Birthday Mr. PS2. 9 years on since I first played you and retired my PS1 and you still hold some of my most enjoyable gaming moments :D
0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

hjm50

90%
04 Rank
Progress
hjm50
Accepted Solution
I played GT3 a lot as well as SSX.
0 Kudos

Signiture here

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Beta Tester
/16

englishgolfer

• Beta Tester
100%
16 Rank
Progress
englishgolfer
Accepted Solution
i remember popping in the demo disc and being blown away by ssx. so much so that i went out and bought it straight away. the other game that i thrashed to death was "rumble racing" from ea sport. still play it - i'm on my 4th disc as i've worn out the first 3.
0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

Lt_Fed_Brusque

98%
07 Rank
Progress
Lt_Fed_Brusque
Accepted Solution

@englishgolfer wrote:
i remember popping in the demo disc and being blown away by ssx. so much so that i went out and bought it straight away. 

Ditto! I didn't think I would enjoy a snowboarding game, but was hugely impressed with the SSX demo that came with the console :) And so began the journey...

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Beta Tester
/16

Pacman_Ownage

• Beta Tester
98%
05 Rank
Progress
Pacman_Ownage
Accepted Solution

Fondest memories.... too many to list.

But major ones were probably the Timesplitters series, with Future Perfect being the first game I ever pre-ordered... (and is still one out of only 3) :P

Killzone... Without a doubt I spent more time on this than any other console game (beaten by the PC masterclass of Age of Empires_

Summoner series. My first real endeavour into this genre of gaming... and I have never looked back.

I think everyone will have this, but of course GTA 3, Vice City and San Andreas. Pure masterpieces.

Honourable mentions:

The Socom titles, I still remember, I never got past the second level on Socom 2... and my first venture onto console online gaming. I was dreadful :P

Shox, I had never really been a fan of rally games, but this... this was something different.

More Burnout games, but more importantly Burnout: Takedown... I still say the best 'musical score' on a game ever.

And others like Zone of the Enders, Smugglers run 1&2, LotR The Third Age and ... a gladitator game... but I can't remember the name of it :(

0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

Chaos_Martin

96%
05 Rank
Progress
Chaos_Martin
Accepted Solution

10 years WOW

Time to take a trip down memory lane *Trips over and hurts himself* Ow, I'll think I'll walk it.

I remember coming home from School and my parents just got back from shopping and there it was in the boot of the Car my beloved PS2. I almost died. My parents brought it me for my birthtday and I was SO happy when I went upstairs to plug it in the Tv and my parents never saw me again. Seroiusly I was a gamer holic I was hooked like mad the only time I got off the ps2 was to either- Eat,Drink, toilet, or go to school. I spent counless hours on it.

The 1st game I played on it was Final Fantasy X. I was SO excited!

My Favourtit games on the PS2

Final Fantasy X

Disgaea 1 and 2

Dyanasty Warriors 2 (Huh HA HUH HUH HA!)

MGS 2 and 3

WWE  SVR 2008

(Sigh) those were good times.

0 Kudos

http://i786.photobucket.com/albums/yy150/chaos_martin/BehemothKingSmallSig_zpsa0bf96f3.png

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Beta Tester
/16

TehRadge

• Beta Tester
93%
05 Rank
Progress
TehRadge
Accepted Solution

So I got my PS2 at the end of January 2001.  If you remember they were quite hard to get a hold of unless you had pre ordered.  Luckily I managed to pick one up that someone had forgotten to claim.

Took it home with SSX as the only game I had for a couple of days and picked up Timesplitters and Tekken Tag a little later on.

Yeah so I was in a brief period where I was working full time in Safeways between 2 spells in college.  I'd been playing mostly on PSone and Dreamcast and apart from the games I mentioned I mostly used the machine for DVDs in the summer of 2001.  That was until the winter when I got Capcom v SNK 2, SSX Tricky and Tony Hawks 3.

In the time PS2 has been out I have moved house 5 times, split up with 4 women and changed my job twice.

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Beta Tester
/16

M3RL1NS_N3M3S1S

• Beta Tester
96%
03 Rank
Progress
M3RL1NS_N3M3S1S
Accepted Solution
I still have my launch day console, Smugglers Run, Kevin and Perry on DVD (part of a bundle i got, console + game + dvd) and the receipt!!! :) long live the PS2!!! last 10 years have had too many exciting and groundbreaking moments to list...
0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

Benleslie5

80%
02 Rank
Progress
Benleslie5
Accepted Solution

The PS2 has had a great line for it's RPG's including-

• Kingdom Hearts Series
  • Persona 3 and 4
  • Final Fantasy X
  • Dark Cloud
  • Dragon Quest
0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

savvyGallen

94%
03 Rank
Progress
savvyGallen
Accepted Solution

Launch PS2 died, we replaced Launch PS2 with a new one, this one was Silver :D

Currently its sitting about, absorbing the dust.

Back in the day she'll play games like:

Dynasty Warriors (series)

Zone of the Enders (2)

Metal Gear Solid series

Gran Turismo series

Kingdom Hearts series

.Hack// series

We'd watch movies together, and eat popcorn =,D

oh the joy, fun and frustrating times it stuck with us till today. No later console has taken her place yet. PS3 is slowly coming this christmas. :/

PS2 was the best back then ^^

Happy Birthday to all PS2s!

0 Kudos

Galman
Hi~♪

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Award Winner
/16

TescoValueGamer

• Award Winner
98%
04 Rank
Progress
TescoValueGamer
Accepted Solution

I'll never forget getting my pre-ordered PS2 from the local Choices, it was the last in the shop. I collected it after work, got myself the essentials (a second pad and Memory Card) and Tekken Tag Tournament, but what really got me was the kids in the shop who looked gutted to say the least as I walked out of the shop as smug as hell. I loved every second of it.

The looks on their faces was priceless, a Polaroid moment to say the least.

0 Kudos

Currently playing: Diablo 3 (PS3), Catherine (PS3), Fez (XBLA), MAME (PC), Oolite (PC), Parasite Eve (PS1)
View our house rules for posts
Post Reply Update Reply Cancel