xtwelvex

28%
02 Rank
Progress

Connection test just to browse PS Now?

3 Replies 346 Views Created 22-04-2015
22 Apr 2015
By xtwelvex

I get it that the speed is a crucial factor in the PS Now experience but surely the connection test is only necessary when launching the game, do we really need to guarantee a high speed connection just to browse games?

0 Kudos
LABELS:
View our house rules for posts
Post Reply Update Reply Cancel

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

garder0904

30%
02 Rank
Progress
garder0904
Accepted Solution

I agree, just posted about multiple connection tests coming up when using the service. Tests are important but they have to be at the right point for gamers or it will turn people off the service.

0 Kudos

Re: Connection test just to browse PS Now?

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Beta Tester
/16

KC_KAOS

• Beta Tester
80%
02 Rank
Progress
KC_KAOS
Accepted Solution

Hi,

We are aware of this feature to be a slight annoyance but the reason why the test is present before each game launch, is to ensure the bandwidth is still available.

IF you were sharing bandwidth at home and it was good on app launch but then your family members of friends started using the internet randomly, it could have degraded your bandwidth and therefore you would be even more frustrated if you had rented a title and then found out you couldn’t play it properly.

I hope this has helped provide better understanding as to why the pre-test is somewhat agreed annoying but essential for the end user to be notified of low bandwidth.

Regards

KC_KAOS

0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

aric201812

73%
02 Rank
Progress
aric201812
Accepted Solution

I understand the connection test when opening the application. When this is out of Beta it will be free for anyone to download regardless of their internet speed. Sony will want to manage user expectations prior to anyone taking time to browse the catalogue, pick a game and then finally try to stream it only to find they don't have sufficient bandwidth. 

Also, bear in mind that while everthing in the Beta is free but you do still have to go through the £0 purchase prior to launching the stream. If you had actually parted with money to rent the game only to then find your speed is too slow then you are going to be super annoyed and complaining that Sony should have tested the speed before selling the game.

It is not much different from what I saw with OnLive and I am pretty sure non-game streaming services like Netflix do all this in the background whereas Sony is being explicit about it. Also, I think that the test prior to launching the game is also checking the server for space etc... if you switch from one open game to launch another you do get a warning message that you may get put to the back of the queue. That makes me a little worried that there are expecting capacity constraints once they go live with more users.

One suggestion I would have is that if you sign up for the Netflix style unlimited access service Sony could cut out some of the tests since you are not purchasing a single game rental at the point.

0 Kudos

View our house rules for posts
Post Reply Update Reply Cancel