99%
09 Rank
Progress

PlayStation Now - Hidden Gems

[ Edited ]
6 Replies 6,560 Views edited 30-03-2016
01 Mar 2016
By Rhinne

PlayStation Now features a great set of well known and much loved PlayStation 3 games, all of which you can play via your PlayStation 4, Vita, PS TV and some compatible TVs. Amongst those well known games, there are also several hidden gems that are also worth a play.

Over the next few weeks I’m going to take a dive into the depths of PlayStation Now and highlight some of these titles that I've found. I’d also love to hear which games you were happy to find in the PS Now library, or what you think of the games shown here. 

So, first up...

Stick it to the Man

Hard hat tester, Ray, has a bizarre accident and wakes up with a giant pink spaghetti arm sticking out of his brain! With his awesome new powers he can read minds and change the world with stickers but he’s on the run for a crime he didn’t commit. Can you help Ray out of this sticky situation?

In Stick it to the Man you play as Ray. He's an odd and unforunate chap, down on his luck and struggling with life - and to make matters worse, he's hit on the head by a government canister that falls from the sky. When he awakes, he finds a strange pink arm sticking out of the top of his head. An arm which only Ray can see and gives him the ability to read minds. 

What follows is a side-scrolling platform puzzler that is as crazy as it sounds. The dialogue is consistently funny, the puzzles and mind reading are fun and it's a game definitely worth checking out. 

There isn't really much replay value in Stick it to the Man, unless you're chasing any trophies you may have missed, but it's certainly fun while it lasts and a good game to check out if you're on a 7 day PS Now trial. 

The Swapper

Keeping with the theme, The Swapper is another puzzle platformer with a twist. 

You play as a scavenger stranded aboard an abandoned research station who discovers a device that allows you to create clones of yourself and switch your conciousness to those clones This bizarre and morally challenging ability allows you to use your cloned self to solve puzzles and evade traps - often with a deadly outcome for your unfortunate clones. 

The Swapper is another fairly short, but very entertaining game, so ideal if you're on your Playstation Now trial. If you haven't played this already, I definitely recommend giving it a try.

I shall leave you with these two for now and follow up in a few days with a couple more hidden gems from the Playstation Now library. 

If you have found some cool games on Playstation Now that you recommend, or have played either of the two above, let us know in the comments .

If you fancy checking out some of these great games, you can sign up for a 7 day free trial of Playstation Now. There’s more info on that here: https://www.playstation.com/en-gb/explore/playstation-now/getting-started/

LABELS:
View our house rules for posts
Post Reply Update Reply Cancel

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Beta Tester
/16

methodactor

• Beta Tester
98%
05 Rank
Progress
methodactor
Accepted Solution
Stick It To The Man is excellent. Fun platforming with the heart and funny bone of a classic Lucas adventure.

I enjoyed what I played of The Swapper, some interesting mechanics. Never got around to finishing it.

Re: PlayStation Now - Hidden Gems

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
MVP
/16

Rhinne

• MVP
99%
09 Rank
Progress
Rhinne
methodactor
Accepted Solution

Stick it to the Man is just utterly bonkers. I love the whole sense of humour throughout.

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Beta Tester
/16

methodactor

• Beta Tester
98%
05 Rank
Progress
methodactor
Accepted Solution
One of the few games without a platinum that I got 100% trophies in, I wanted to hear every interaction.
0 Kudos

Re: PlayStation Now - Hidden Gems

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
MVP
/16

Rhinne

• MVP
99%
09 Rank
Progress
Rhinne
Accepted Solution

Following on from the excellent Stick is to the Man and  The Swapper, it's time to take a look at a few more hidden gems in the PlayStation Now library.

First up, we actually have two games. I decided to combine these into one entry, as they're from the same series and both are great games. 

Overlord and Overlord II

The Overlord titles are action-RPG games, developed by Triumph Studios and published by Codemasters. They were also part-written by Rhianna Pratchett, daughter of Discworld author Terry, who also wrote Mirror's Edge and the recent Tomb Raider games. 

In most games featuring a tyranical overlord, you play a valiant hero (or heroes) in an attempt to rid the world of its evil and restore order and peace. But not in Overlord! Instead, you take on the role of a resurrected warrior and control a horde of gremlin-like creatures, known as minions - and no, not the stupid yellow ones. Although some of your minions are stupid...

Your minions come in four colours - red, blue, green and brown - and each colour minion has its own ability. For example, red minions throw fireballs and are immune to fire, while green minions use poison. 

Using this band of crazy and often hilarious minions, you make your way through the world, pillaging, destroying and maiming everything in sight. In the first Overlord game, your ultimate goal is to rid the world of seven heroes who slew the Overlord's predecessor, and who have since been corrupted by power. Each one represents one of the seven deadly sins. 

Overlord II introduces the son of the Overlord from the first game, who was cast out from his mountain village. Under guidance from Gnarl, the aged minion advisor, you set out into the world to wreak havoc. 

You control the Overlord in a third-person perspective, but command of the minions introduces a real-time strategy element to the game. 

You'll find plenty of action and even more laughs and dark humour throughout both games. If you haven't played either game before, you're in for a treat. If you have, playing them again is still a joy!

Moving on, next up we have...

Telltale Games' Poker Night 2

Sequel to Telltale's Poker Night at the Inventory, Poker Night 2 sees you return to the underground club to play poker with a crazy bunch of crossover characters from different franchises. You play as yourself, hoping the luck of the draw is on your side against Sam & Max from... Sam & Max, Brock Samson from The Venture Bros, Ash Williams from The Evil Dead franchise and Claptrap from the Borderlands series. GLaDOS from Portal joins in a supporting role as the dealer. 

As you can image, with a set of poker buddies like that, there's plenty of banter and sly comments, along with plenty of hilarity.

The only thing sadly missing is multiplayer (both local and online), but this single player game is well worth playing. 

And finally. for this week...

Guacamelee

You play Juan, a humble farmer, hopelessly in love with El Presidente's daughter. An evil skeleton attacks the village, kidnaps El Presidente's daughter and kills Juan. In the land of the dead a mysterious luchador transforms Juan into a powerful luchador and brings him back to the land of the living to rescue his beloved. 

Guacamelee is a bright and colourful action platformer, with visuals that are heavily themed around Mexican culture and folklore. You fight your way through enemies and learn more powerful fighting moves from hidden statues. You'll soon be punching, throwing, grappling and wall jumping your way around and erm... turning into a chicken to solve puzzles...

The game also features a co-op mode, so get a friend to join in with the fun!

So, there you have it. These are my hidden gems of the week. I'll be back next week to take a look at a few more great titles available via PlayStation Now!

How about you? Has anyone else been playing games on PlayStation Now? Have you found any hidden gems, or revisiting some of your old favourites?

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

Hemming87

89%
04 Rank
Progress
Hemming87
Accepted Solution

Eat Them! Is a really fun little game. You create your own monster and go around destroying cities with a really cool art style. Well worth checking out if you want some mindless fun :D

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

TheLordPegasus

95%
10 Rank
Progress
TheLordPegasus