92%
02 Rank
Progress

Cinematic Mode - screen moving

[ Edited ]
31 Replies 8,535 Views edited 16-10-2016
16 Oct 2016
By dansemacabre
So after tinkering with cinematic mode today, and realising that non-VR games can actually be playable with the right setting, I came across a bit of an issue. I was playing Mafia 3 on the medium screen size setting, and I noticed every five minutes or so that the virtual screen had slowly shifted to the left, and the more I played the more I'd have to keep shifting my view to the left to center my view of the screen. Just as well they have the option to reset the screen position, but it keeps on happening, and no one really wants to keep taking themselves out of the game to reset on a regular basis. Anyone else having any issues like this? I'm hoping some updates will fix this, and maybe bring in more options. I, for one, would like to adjust the screen size a touch smaller, and still keep that stationary cinema screen feel as opposed to the small screen setting where the screen follows your head movement. Thoughts? Ideas? Help? :)
LABELS: PlayStation VR
View our house rules for posts
Post Reply Update Reply Cancel

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

the_weird

63%
02 Rank
Progress
the_weird
Accepted Solution

That seems to be the drift problem that myself and others are experiencing. I think in virtual cinema mode the headset only uses the accerlometers for head tracking, not the camera, so without a fixed reference point the headset can drift over time, maybe some head seats are better than others for this. 

To be honest I have the same issue even in games where the camera should fix what is "forward", but it still happens and the Calibrate button doesn't fix it. Only way I have found to correct it is to turn the headset off and on again, which is annoying, but at least does not interrupt the game. 

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

Bambi52

79%
02 Rank
Progress
Bambi52
Accepted Solution

try sitting closer to the camera, it should limit the drift if not eliminate it

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

BravoLima

80%
02 Rank
Progress
BravoLima
Bambi52
Accepted Solution

But aren't the headset lights off when in non vr mode ? The camera won't see it if the lights are off....? 

0 Kudos

BF3 Stats

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

dansemacabre

92%
02 Rank
Progress
dansemacabre
BravoLima
Accepted Solution

I forgot to reply with this exact sentiment. How close you are to the camera should have no effect whatsoever, it's merely displaying the hdmi source from the PS4, no tracking necessary

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

Sanctanox

52%
02 Rank
Progress
Sanctanox
Bambi52
Accepted Solution

I am sitting 1.8m away from the camera now and it still drifts. I tried from 1.8m to 2.8m. No change. It drifts in games (you notice it in games with cockpits quite easily. Also extremely in tumble VR). It also drifts in cinema-mode. It always drifts. I think it might be a hardware problem because a friend of mine returned his PSVR and got a new one. The new one works perfectly. I ordered mine at Amazon so I cannot just get a new one that quickly. I wait for help from the Playstation support and might send it to Sony for repair. But maybe it is a software problem and a firmware patch will fix it.

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

Bambi52

79%
02 Rank
Progress
Bambi52
BravoLima
Accepted Solution

i actualy checked this, true while you are on the home screen the head set front lights are off but if you are viewing video(at least on the media player) the front lights are on, which explains why when you start a game it auto recentres(probably when the lights activate)

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

Bambi52

79%
02 Rank
Progress
Bambi52
dansemacabre
Accepted Solution

if you are on the small screen size sure, but medium and large need tracking, it's like having a projector image on the wall not tacked to your headset(like the small screen is) so you can look away or at the outer edge

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

BravoLima

80%
02 Rank
Progress
BravoLima
Accepted Solution

So in games it's pretty OK from what I've noticed but there are times when I do need to hold the options button to recenter. When I'm in cinema mode or in non vr mode on the playstation home screen it will drift to the left after only a few minutes.  This needs a fix! 

0 Kudos

BF3 Stats

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

Hip_Hop_Rob

84%
05 Rank
Progress
Hip_Hop_Rob
Accepted Solution

There are 3 screen options Small, Medium and Large. In the smallest screen mode you are presented with a fixed floating screen right in front of you.  It never drifts.  I must admit as I was watching football this evening on the medium setting the drift up and down or sideways I found is  easily corrected by pressing the option button without coming out of watching the game and equally whilst playing a game but I appreciate that you felt it takes you out of the game.

I equally personally prefer the feel of being in a private cinema auditorium that the medium screen offers and I find  a fixed floating screen in front of me takes me out of that illusion, but each to their own as they say.

So Small fixed floating screen, with no drift on cinematic mode.  Hope that helps. 

0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

BravoLima

80%
02 Rank
Progress
BravoLima
Hip_Hop_Rob
Accepted Solution

Not really but thanks for the input.  It shouldn't float regardless of screen size. 

0 Kudos

BF3 Stats

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

Hip_Hop_Rob

84%
05 Rank
Progress
Hip_Hop_Rob
BravoLima
Accepted Solution

But it does because medium and large  still uses tracking and the camera. With tracking you get drifting/floating which is part of normal tolerances that allow you to look beyond the edges of your virtual cinema screen and thereby create the illusion that you are in a much bigger space. So it should float.  If you don't like it opt for the fixed screen which is not what you see when you are in a cinema.  Your eyes move and you focus on different parts of the screen and auditorium as you do at home when watching tv.  You don't have a fixed gaze at one point on your tv.......Hope that helps

0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

dansemacabre

92%
02 Rank
Progress
dansemacabre
Hip_Hop_Rob
Accepted Solution

I geuninely didn't try holding options to re-center because I thought that was just on VR games, so I went the roundabout way of doing it, that's why it seemed more of a hassle to me. Will be less so now, but it still seems like something that could be patched, I too am not a fan of the small screen option

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

BravoLima

80%
02 Rank
Progress
BravoLima
Accepted Solution

But I don't need to constantly move my seating position on my swivel chair when I'm watching TV... the floating screen always drifts to the left....

0 Kudos

BF3 Stats

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

Hip_Hop_Rob

84%
05 Rank
Progress
Hip_Hop_Rob
BravoLima
Accepted Solution

But you move your head don't you.... you obviously had higher expectations of  it than it is able to deliver in respect of Cinematic mode.

Either way you will continue to be frustrated by the lack of progress in pursuit of a non drifting floating cinematic screen (in medium and large screen mode)and basic technology that is  used in relation to the virtual cinema screen. 

0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

BravoLima

80%
02 Rank
Progress
BravoLima
Hip_Hop_Rob
Accepted Solution

Yeah I did have high expectations. Considering screen drift doesn't happen at all on the free Samsung Gear VR that I got with my phone, I would expect a £350 piece of hardware to blow my mind. 

By the by, last night it didn't seem to do it. I tried a little test. I dimmed the lights and took off the white t shirt I was wearing and it seemed OK. I wonder if the light bouncing off my clothing was interfering.....

0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
BF3 Stats

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

jbean13579

50%
02 Rank
Progress
jbean13579
BravoLima
Accepted Solution

light bouncing off could certainly be a problem i heard a guy was having the same drifting issue with his psvr he tried everything to sort it out...eventually he discovered that it was his leather sofa reflecting light back at the camera he put a blanket over it and has had no problems since

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

fella08

78%
02 Rank
Progress
fella08
jbean13579
Accepted Solution

Not really mate cinema mode doesn't use camera it uses internal gyro and accelerometer 

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

jbean13579

50%
02 Rank
Progress
jbean13579
fella08
Accepted Solution

ahh cool yep i was just referring to drift issues in general 

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

ANGUAWOLF_FL

25%
02 Rank
Progress
ANGUAWOLF_FL
Accepted Solution

CAMERA DRIFTING TO THE LEFT IN CINEMA MODE: contrary to what everyone says, the PlayStation camera IS used to calibrate where the screen is. If you go into the settings to confirm your position you will notice the image of what the camera sees has a dotted square to the left side of the screen. THIS IS WHERE THE CAMERA WANTS YOU! It has two lenses, not one. If you are center, you are not lined up with both lenses!

0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

bagelbagel49

33%
02 Rank
Progress
bagelbagel49
Accepted Solution

Keeps drifting left in cinematic mode. Having  to recenter every 2-3 mins. Everything that Sony advised or that I found on the internet I have tried multiple times. Support advised me to do all the known optical calibration steps, these do not help the drift in cinematic mode. They are focussing on a tracking issue, but this does not appear to be  a Tracking issue but a constant drift to the left on top of tracking that otherwise works fine.

I specifically asked support if a solution is forthcoming but no response to that question, I am returning the product while I still can.

0 Kudos

View our house rules for posts
Post Reply Update Reply Cancel