92%
02 Rank
Progress

PS4 Pro HDMI issues with PSVR

[ Edited ]
471 Replies 66,371 Views edited 13-11-2016
13 Nov 2016
By dansemacabre
I've seen mention of it on Reddit, but not on here. Is anyone getting a loss of hdmi signal since upgrading to the Pro? I'll get the odd occasions where I get a bit of static and a black screen for a second, interrupting my play session, but then it returns to normal. On a couple of occasions I've had a complete cut out, showing the hdmi with an X sign showing an input error, once fixed by turning off and then turning on the VR and reconnecting the cables in case they'd gotten loose, and the second time having to reboot the Pro when nothing else would work. Could it be because I'm using the hdmi supplied with the Pro (which I assume is 2.0) when I should use a standard instead? (I'm aware of the steps required when playing the Pro on a 4K TV for HDR; I don't have one yet so this is purely for VR) Or is this something that Sony needs to fix?
LABELS:
View our house rules for posts
Post Reply Update Reply Cancel

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

Supersmurfer007

26%
02 Rank
Progress
Supersmurfer007
dansemacabre
Accepted Solution

Never had a problem with the Pro on its own. With me, it only started after I got my PSVR.

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

jrbl1

32%
02 Rank
Progress
jrbl1
Accepted Solution

I have this issue. My screen blacks out for a few seconds constantly.  If I bypass the PSVR box it doesn't blackout but as soon as I hook up the PSVR box (using VR or not) it constantly blacks out.  I hope Sony finds a fix for this. 

I have 4k TV without HDR

i have HDC? 1.4 not 2.2

i go through a receiver

tried all the fixes you can find online.  Nothing works.  

PS4 pro - PSVR - receiver - TV

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

TomHoang

73%
02 Rank
Progress
TomHoang
Accepted Solution

Same problem for me, but I don't lose the signal completely.  When I connect the Pro to the PSVR PU, after a couple of minutes when I first boot up the system, the screen goes black for a few seconds then comes back.  It might do it a second time after another couple of minutes, but I never lose the signal completely.  This is very annoying, and I have opted to just connect the Pro to the TV directly because this problem never occurs that way.  I use the HDMI cable that came with the Pro, and a separate HDMI 2.0 cable, so both cables are 2.0.  This problem also occurs when I use the cable that came with the PSVR (which isn't 2.0).  My TV doesn't have HDR, so ideally I would like to leave the Pro connected to the PSVR without switching cables, and not having full RGB doesn't bother me.  But this constant on/off screen every time makes it unbearable.

[ Edited ]

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

JohnVice86

90%
03 Rank
Progress
JohnVice86
Accepted Solution

Without the processor unit it works. I have the problems only with the unit between... that sucks. Had someone contact sony? What they say about it?

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

casper56200

67%
02 Rank
Progress
casper56200
Accepted Solution

I had the same issue but with my normal ps4, started ok but after a few weeks i had picture and sound drop outs for 2 to 3 seconds a time. Sent it back no issues with pro and new vr headset.

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

ExplorerZiem

25%
02 Rank
Progress
ExplorerZiem
Accepted Solution

Same thing here. About ready to return the PSVR as defective because the Pro was fine until connecting through the PSVR unit. 

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

Henshin_a_go_go

86%
03 Rank
Progress
Henshin_a_go_go
Accepted Solution

Same issue here, haven't found a fix yet

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

Gosche

69%
02 Rank
Progress
Gosche
Accepted Solution

I'm convinced the problem is with the PS VR PU. Intermittent HDMI "Black-outs" for a few seconds. This is a problem Sony needs to correct. Further, the PS VR is not capable of passing through HDR from games that supports that. Annoying when you have a PS4 Pro and a TV that supports both HDR 10 and Dolby Vision HDR standards. Sony's solution is described on "PS Help" and tells you to bypass the VR PU (means re-wire your system each time you want to make use of HDR capable games. I can live with Non-HDR when using VR, but with the VR headset switched off, the VR PU should act as a fully transparent connection between your PS4 Pro and TV/Monitor. I know Sony claims that PS4 Pro and PS VR are compatible, in my view they are not.

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

oukhawj

44%
02 Rank
Progress
oukhawj
Accepted Solution

upgrade to a ps4 pro and now i am having the same issue. never had this problem with my original ps4. screen turn black then lose sound after screen comes back on. is there a fix to this. i am very disappointed. 

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

Henshin_a_go_go

86%
03 Rank
Progress
Henshin_a_go_go
Accepted Solution

I contacted support by e-mail but the reply I got didn't sound like they read my e-mail very well they just told me to check the cables (well duh) and make sure it was switched on (super duh!)

I also got sent a link to trouble shoot it, with the possibility of a replacement but I don't think any of my stuff is faulty it seem to be a compatibility issue between the Pro and the VR

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

Deadlius

84%
02 Rank
Progress
Deadlius
Accepted Solution

Exact same problem here... I didn't have this problem at all with the original PS4 and this processing unit so the only logical explanation is some issue with either the HDMI port on the PS4 Pro itself or a related software issue. I'm hoping it's the latter and it will eventually be fixed. It seems like there are too many of us for this to be a hardware issue but I guess it's certainly possible.

The HDMI port on the Pro is 2.0 versus 1.4 on the original PS4 but that physically should mean nothing as 2.0 cables, to my knowledge, are backwards compatible with 1.4 (which is also what the PSVR processing unit has and why it doesn't support HDR passthrough -- another questionable Sony move as of late).

I should also note that I've had this issue with the HDR and Deep Color Output options set to Off. I'm going to see if changing the audio setting from Direct (Dolby) as I currently have it to Direct (DTS) or even Linear PCM as somebody else suggested makes a difference. The last option to try would be to leave the PSVR processing unit disconnected from the TV. I'm not sure if the passthrough is meant to work both ways but perhaps the TV is sending some kind of signal back down the HDMI chain that causes the processing unit to flake out. Though my guess is that it won't make a bit of difference since the original PS4 didn't have this problem.

Since we're all having this problem with the Pro and not the original PS4 I think the issue has to be there.

0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

Henshin_a_go_go

86%
03 Rank
Progress
Henshin_a_go_go
Deadlius
Accepted Solution

Same I didn't have the issue before the Pro and I even tried it on my brothers basic PS4 no issues at all 

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

Balema

87%
03 Rank
Progress
Balema
Accepted Solution

Same problem here with the Pro and PSVR, I am very dissapointed because Sony after so many weeks still haven't done anything about this!

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

Henshin_a_go_go

86%
03 Rank
Progress
Henshin_a_go_go
Accepted Solution

What Game is this happening on for most people? for me it's Until Dawn Rush of Blood mostly although it did it on Bound as well

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

Deadlius

84%
02 Rank
Progress
Deadlius
Henshin_a_go_go
Accepted Solution

I've had it happen on pretty much everything when the PSVR unit is involved. Even non-VR games have exhibited it.

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

Deadlius

84%
02 Rank
Progress
Deadlius
Accepted Solution

I'm almost wondering if it is, in fact, related to a bug in how the Pro encodes Dolby Digital audio that doesn't exist on the original PS4 because I've also had a problem with audio cutouts (but not video) with it being directly connected to my TV via two HDMI 2.0 cables joined by an HDMI 2.0 coupler (a 10' cable and a 3' cable so the run length is within spec). I should note that I exclusively use an Onkyo receiver for my audio that is connected to my TV via HDMI and uses the ARC (Audio Return Channel) feature. This issue also started since I got the Pro.

As I said, I will test switching to DTS later and will report back in a day or two with my results.

0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

Deadlius

84%
02 Rank
Progress
Deadlius
Accepted Solution

Well, I've been playing both VR and non-VR games with the DTS audio setting for the past several hours today and I did not have this issue once as far as I noticed. Usually it would've happened several times over that period of time so I'm optimistic that there's at least a work-around. I'd prefer that they fix the issue as I would rather use Dolby (I find it to be louder than DTS at equal volume levels) but it's certainly better than having complete loss of video and audio for 5-10 seconds at a time.

I'm going to continue using the DTS audio setting in the mean time to see if it happens over the next couple of days and then switch back to Dolby to see if I can replicate the issue again. Assuming this is the issue, does anybody know how to escalate it and actually report it to Sony? I don't have much faith that they actually monitor these forums and that somebody will happen to see this thread.

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

Henshin_a_go_go

86%
03 Rank
Progress
Henshin_a_go_go
Deadlius
Accepted Solution

I tried DTS setting and it didn't help for me and when I went back into the setting it had switched back to default glad it worked out for you though

When I contacted Sony on twitter they gave me this link to report problems

https://www.playstation.com/en-gb/get-help/contact-us/

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

Deadlius

84%
02 Rank
Progress
Deadlius
Henshin_a_go_go
Accepted Solution

Oh really? Hm. Not sure if it makes a difference but I flipped mine back to Linear PCM to make sure I saw the change reflected on my receiver and then back to DTS. Thanks for the link. I'll submit the issue along with a reference to this thread... but I'm not too hopeful to a quick resolution to this issue.

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

Henshin_a_go_go

86%
03 Rank
Progress
Henshin_a_go_go
Deadlius
Accepted Solution

When I contacted them I sent a huge message about what I had tried and what happens etc then just sent me a trouble shooting link

Hopefully if they get enough messages they'll do something about it

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

Deadlius

84%
02 Rank
Progress
Deadlius
Henshin_a_go_go
Accepted Solution

Well, I thought it had fixed the issue but today it happened again twice. I guess I was just lucky yesterday. Back to square one.

0 Kudos

View our house rules for posts
Post Reply Update Reply Cancel