92%
02 Rank
Progress

PS4 Pro HDMI issues with PSVR

[ Edited ]
471 Replies 66,837 Views edited 13-11-2016
13 Nov 2016
By dansemacabre
I've seen mention of it on Reddit, but not on here. Is anyone getting a loss of hdmi signal since upgrading to the Pro? I'll get the odd occasions where I get a bit of static and a black screen for a second, interrupting my play session, but then it returns to normal. On a couple of occasions I've had a complete cut out, showing the hdmi with an X sign showing an input error, once fixed by turning off and then turning on the VR and reconnecting the cables in case they'd gotten loose, and the second time having to reboot the Pro when nothing else would work. Could it be because I'm using the hdmi supplied with the Pro (which I assume is 2.0) when I should use a standard instead? (I'm aware of the steps required when playing the Pro on a 4K TV for HDR; I don't have one yet so this is purely for VR) Or is this something that Sony needs to fix?
LABELS:
View our house rules for posts
Post Reply Update Reply Cancel

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

Henshin_a_go_go

86%
03 Rank
Progress
Henshin_a_go_go
Deadlius
Accepted Solution

:/ damn, did you contact Sony yet

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

headblade7

39%
02 Rank
Progress
headblade7
Accepted Solution

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

headblade7

39%
02 Rank
Progress
headblade7
Accepted Solution

I too have had this problem. VR is new. PS4 PRO is new. Well, this problem is new.

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

MChellinga

84%
03 Rank
Progress
MChellinga
Accepted Solution

I have the same issue.. ever since I upgraded to the PS4PRO I have these issues.. please FIX sony!!

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

MChellinga

84%
03 Rank
Progress
MChellinga
Accepted Solution

0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

TomHoang

73%
02 Rank
Progress
TomHoang
Accepted Solution

Can anyone confirm if firmware 4.07 did anything to fix this?

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

TommyGonk

72%
02 Rank
Progress
TommyGonk
TomHoang
Accepted Solution

It didn't fix it for me, was playing Tethered on VR last night and it dropped out twice, the usual blackout, HDMI error, sound cuts out, then it recovered a few seconds later.

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

TomHoang

73%
02 Rank
Progress
TomHoang
TommyGonk
Accepted Solution

Thanks for the reply.  Just tried it myself with The Last Guardian, and the same thing happened.

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

gAng_v0cals

85%
02 Rank
Progress
gAng_v0cals
Accepted Solution

I really hope Sony is aware that this is a major issue with the VR PU and addresses it asap. I haven't touched my PSVR since getting the Pro.

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

mrhumble1

48%
02 Rank
Progress
mrhumble1
Accepted Solution

I want to add my name to the list of affected PS4 Pro owners.  I only have a 1080P TV, so I don't have any 4K or HDR issues, but I do have consistent problems with the screen and audio going out.  I never used the VR headset with my original PS4, so I can't speak to whether this is a PS4 Pro issue only.  Usually the video returns, but recently the audio has stayed silent. I have to exit my current game and then when the XMB (or whatever they are calling the UI) returns, so does the audio.  Now, when I say "audio" am referring to audio from the VR headphones.  I think the sound from the receiver is ok, but I have that turned down so it doesn't conflict with the headphones (since sound from headphones is far superior when using VR).

Where are all of you posting this for Sony to see??  Is there a thread somewhere else I should be updating?

[ Edited ]

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

Henshin_a_go_go

86%
03 Rank
Progress
Henshin_a_go_go
mrhumble1
Accepted Solution

Contact support is a bout the best you can do, I told them a lot of us are having issues so perhaps if enough people report it something will be done

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

MChellinga

84%
03 Rank
Progress
MChellinga
Accepted Solution

Same issue here! But for some reason it only happens to me the first 10min of VR gaming. After that it seems to be Fine. I also noticed that it not playing VR but leaving the PU between TV and PS I also Have occasionly drop outs of image and Sound. So for me it seems to be a Def. VR PU issue.. 

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

dansemacabre

92%
02 Rank
Progress
dansemacabre
MChellinga
Accepted Solution

I concur with this, happens within a 10 minute window without fail. Usually when I'm in the middle of a match on Rocket League, many expletives used when it happens, every damn time! Doesn't matter if you're playing in VR or on TV, if you're connected to the VR PSU it's going to happen

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

MChellinga

84%
03 Rank
Progress
MChellinga
dansemacabre
Accepted Solution

Not a lot of topics yet about this issue.. I am wondering if Sony is ever going to take this issue serious.

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

AhaPeasant

74%
02 Rank
Progress
AhaPeasant
Accepted Solution

I am also having issues with the PRO/VR, quite depressing really when it all adds upto around £800, could have put that towards a PC

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

MChellinga

84%
03 Rank
Progress
MChellinga
Accepted Solution

Oké.. Just got off the phone with Sony. With steam coming out of my ears this is what they say.. The PSVR is NOT supported for 4K. So the processor unit is NOT supporting the 4K signal. What does this Mean? Every Time you want to play VR you have to remove the HDMI 2.0 cable amd replace it with a HDMI 1.4 cable. Which sounds absolutely ridicoulous to me.. but he! What else is New from Sony.. this bassicly means you have to sacrifice an extra HDMI Port or your TV with a lose HDMI 1.4 cable when you want to game VR. A lot of swapping cables in the future... Can anyone else please confirm?

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

PierreEXM007

60%
02 Rank
Progress
PierreEXM007
Accepted Solution

Same issue for me. I"ve tried a lot of things and the PU seems to be the bad guy in this story. Completely crazy. Seriously, Sony launched the PS4 pro and the PS VR more or less at the same moment and they can not work together ?!? The pro uses HDMI 2.0, handle HDCP 2.2 and 4K resolution, and the processor unit is far away from that. I don't know if they will be able to fix that with a patch, because it seems to be a hardware problem (HDMI 1.4 VS 2.0, different chips used to manage video and audio signals,...).

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

lonewooolf

99%
03 Rank
Progress
lonewooolf
Accepted Solution

This issue frustrated the life out of me but i managed to resolve it.

It's true, the Sony VR is capped at 1080p. It does not physically capable of passing through a HDR 4K signal so the PS4 Pro gets confused with the video output signal and drops connection.

Sony's sollution is to switch HDMI ports when using the VR.

Sorry Sony, that's not acceptable.

Through time you can damage the video port by constantly removing and adding the cable.

So here's the fix that I came up with that has not dropped signal yet but sadly there is a level of cost involved (Yeah thanks Sony, like the new console and VR wasn't expensive enough)

To ensure you will be capable of receiving a HDR signal, you first of all have to be using HDMI 2.0a cables. 

If you are using HDMI 1.4 you will get 4K but won't be able to take advantage of HDR, which looks gorgeous on Uncharted 4 and The Ladt Of Us, by the way.

Next you need to ensure that your TV Has a 2.0a capable port.

Next I bought an HDMI splitter capable of passing through a HDR signal (very important). Standard splitters will not work, you need a seperately powered splitter that carries a bandwidth frequency of 600mhz (lesser splitters with a lower frequency weren't that reliable).

Using the main HDMI 2.0a cable, plug it into your PS4 Pro then into the HDMI In, on your Splitter (P.S. I used a Vellbox splitter)

Next plug another HDMI 2.0a cable into your TV, using the 2.0a capable HDMI port, then into the primary port on the splitter.

Next plug your VR headset HDMI cable into the secondary port on the splitter and then into an available HDMI port on your TV.

You will be able to use your TV remote to switch between the apropriate HDMI source chanbel for either your PS4 Pro, 4K HDR luxury gaming or the VR gaming throttled at 1080p.

Also, for 4K TV's go to Setting, then Sound and Screen, then Video Output Settings, then set the Resolution manually from Automatic to 2160p - YUV420.

This stops the signal from dropping.

Hope this helps guys.

:D

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

MChellinga

84%
03 Rank
Progress
MChellinga
lonewooolf
Accepted Solution

Not entirly true.. You mention "the Sony VR is capped at 1080p. It does not physically capable of passing through a HDR 4K signal so the PS4 Pro gets confused with the video output signal and drops connection." 

Def. gonna try your solution how do you know if a splitter is HDR supported? I see a lot of splitters that support 4K but dont see any HDR details mentioned... Also.. do you mean a HDMI SWITCH or SPLITTER those are different things right? Cause a splitter is used to send one main input to several screens right. 

Could you post a link with the correct splitter/switch you bought? I found this one ( https://www.amazon.co.uk/VeLLBox-Splitter-Pigtail-Universal-Adapter/dp/B01CZA24LK?th=1 ) or ( https://www.amazon.com/VeLLBox-Switcher-Control-Resolution-Universal/dp/B01CZDP6GC ) And these ar btw 2 port splitters/switch and you need (if a read your little tutorial right) 4 ports. 2 HDMI 2.0a Cables from TV to the splitter and than 2 HDMI 2.0a cables to PS4 PRO and PSVR right?

0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

lonewooolf

99%
03 Rank
Progress
lonewooolf
Accepted Solution

Hi MChellinga,

The difference between a switch and a splitter is that a switch has a button which allows you to control which HDMI you wish to activate from the switch, e.g HDMI 1 In on the Switch is set to PS4 Pro and HDMI 2 In on Switch is set to PSVR. You woukd only be using the one HDMI In on the TV, so the switch could be an option if you are short on HDMI ports on your TV. I haven't tried a switch, or know of one with an HDR pass through, so try that option at your own risk.

In answer to your other question, HDR is set to 10bit colour and Dolby Vision is 12bit. I don't think there are any plans for Sony to take advantage of Dolby Vision on the Ps4 Pro, so 10bit HDR is what Sony have went with. It does look good though. 

Your splitter will need to support 10bit per channel deep color to support HDR.

The Vellbox that i mentioned earlier splits as high as 12bit, so covers all scenario's should Sony go 12bit, but i'm sure that's a hardware issue and not a software issue so pitentially not, but you never know what advancements tge future may being using clever coding.

Here's a link to the Vellbox on Amazon ...

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01CZA24LK/ref=mp_s_a_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1481104025&sr=8-2&pi=AC_SX236_S...

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

MChellinga

84%
03 Rank
Progress
MChellinga
lonewooolf
Accepted Solution

Thanks for the reply!! I will def. gonna try this. So just 2 get this right:

PS4 PRO (HDMI2.0a) go's into HDMI IN on switch

PSVR (HDMI2.0a) go's into  HDMI port 2 on switch

and than (HDMI2.0a) cable from HDMI port 1 on switch to TV?

ohh.. and btw there is no such thing as a HDMI 2.0(a) cable. The HIGH SPEED 1.4 is fine.

0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
View our house rules for posts
Post Reply Update Reply Cancel