05 Rank
Progress

Viewing 360-degree images and videos on PS VR

[ Edited ]
30 Replies 12,238 Views edited 13-10-2016
13 Oct 2016
By KingGobbo

Hey guys,

Version 2.5 of the PS4 Media Player is released today to coincide with the release of PlayStation VR, and with it comes the ability to enjoy 360-degree images and videos captured with omnidirectional cameras on your PS VR headset.

To do this, when you're viewing a 360-degree image or video in the Media Player app (this must be in equirectangular file format), press the OPTIONS button on your DS4, then select [VR Mode].

29651106674_fd3f7b1f70_z.jpg

Alongside this, version 2.5 of the PS4 Media Player now supports high-resolution audio (FLAC) playback.

You can find out more about Media Player v2.5 and 360-degree media over at the PlayStation Blog.

Thanks!

KG

LABELS:

View our house rules for posts
Post Reply Update Reply Cancel

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

wysard

71%
02 Rank
Progress
wysard
Accepted Solution

KG , when is Vrideo available in the U.K. As a psvr app?

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

BigBallsPaul82

54%
02 Rank
Progress
BigBallsPaul82
Accepted Solution

Does this work with YouTube? 

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

superxen2

22%
02 Rank
Progress
superxen2
Accepted Solution

I have the update showing that it now should support 360 degrees photo/video but there is no Vr Mode optionto choose. Any ideas? Have tried with psvr on and off... 

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

wysard

71%
02 Rank
Progress
wysard
superxen2
Accepted Solution

Go to Media Player in VR.Press the options button,it gives you a choice to go to vr.The MP4 must be on a dongle or drive connected to the PlayStation.

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

WallyZ21

60%
02 Rank
Progress
WallyZ21
Accepted Solution

It maximum supported resolution of these videos appears to be 1080P.  This results in a very low quality view when looking through the headset but a high quality view when looking on a TV.

This must be because the entire 360x360 view is rendered in 1980*10180 pixels. However the field of view is about 100 degrees x 50 degrees (horizontal * vertical).

So the final view is composed of

Horizontal : 1980 * (100 / 360) = 550 pixels

Vertical : 1080 * (50 / 360) = 150 pixels

This explains the very low quality 360 VR video experience.

Considering the PSVR can display much higher resolution it does not explain why the PSVR limits the video format to 1080P.

Given the horizontal field of view (measure in pixels) is 550 out of 1980 then the video file format could be 1980/550 (or 3.6) times wider and the vertical could be 1080/150 (or 7.2) times taller.

This would mean a 360 VR video would need to be 1980*3.6 (7128) pixels by 1080/150 (7776) pixels in order to render see the smaller field of view seen in the headset at optimal quality.

A 4K 360 VR would be part way towards that figure and would certainly improve the quality over a 1080P video by a factor of 4.  

There are plenty of 4K 360 VR videos out ther on the web.  So why does the PSVR refuse to render any 360 VR above 1080?  

Shame!!!

(The figures and calcs provided in this post may not be accurate and are based on assumptions)

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

WallyZ21

60%
02 Rank
Progress
WallyZ21
WallyZ21
Accepted Solution

The calcs assume a field of view of 100 degrees horizontal by 50 degrees vertical.

How ever if the vertical is also 100 degrees then the optimal video format resolution would be 

7128 x 3888.

This revised figure would at least maintain a 1.83 aspect ratio.

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

PoeticKinetics

24%
02 Rank
Progress
PoeticKinetics
Accepted Solution

I've updated to v3.0 Media Player. VR Kit is plugged in and turned on. When I press the Option button, I don't have a VR option as pictured in this post. Do you need to be playing a compatible VR video before the option will appear, or does it still appear when watching any videos?

My video files are h.264 MP4, they were recorded on a Keymission 360 camera. I'm not sure if this is an 'Omni-directional camera' or if it records in equirectangular file format? The camera has 2x 190 degree lens and it stitches the video together inside the camera, without needing post-processing. The 360 metadata is automatically embedded on the recording by the camera.

I've tried to play a raw .MP4 file from the camera, without any post processing. File info (4,089MB, 3840x2160 AVC). But it fails to even play in the media player at all, not even on the TV.

I've also exported the Keymission video at a low res, h.264 using Adobe Premiere. The video works in full 360 when uploaded to YouTube and Facebook, but again no joy using PS Media Player. There is not VR option.

If the file format I'm using is incompatible, would you have any ideas on the correct settings for exporting through Premiere?

Any tips would be greatly appreciated. Thank you :)

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

XeryX_Silva

21%
02 Rank
Progress
XeryX_Silva
Accepted Solution

If someone can read this, can you please pass this Sony PS VR or whatever who design and program the controls in PS VR. I just want to share my knowledge on how to resolve the "Teleport and Dash" issue in PS VR. If they want to know more, they can reach me in my PS profile or my email "jctorpe@yahoo.com". Thank you.

PS: Literally, I don't want anything I just want to play and buy PS VR.

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

besantesteras

64%
02 Rank
Progress
besantesteras
Accepted Solution

I'm a proud owner of PS VR and I need help. Someone who have a time and good wil to explain me how to watch no 360 movie but regular movies through PS VR and from USB connected to PS4Pro via Media Player App or some other PSVR Appand if cannot from USB, then how to watch movie with PS VR from media server  or Plex, Netflix or other video Applications???

P.S. Sorry for my English because my mother language is serbo/croatian language and if I had some grammar mistakes  please forgive me... 

Thank's and hello from Serbia 🇷🇸 

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

jajabinks73

25%
02 Rank
Progress