blackwiggle

84%
02 Rank
Progress

Sony unveils UMD Passport for VITA .

7 Replies 1,787 Views Created 13-11-2011
13 Nov 2011
By blackwiggle

Sony shared details today on how it plans to let owners of PSP UMD games play their lineup on the PlayStation Vita.

The program is called UMD Passport. Available from December 6, just ahead of the Vita's December 17 release, UMD Passport will give you access to download versions of your UMD games at discount prices.

The UMD Passport program consists of the following steps:

• 1. Download a UMD Registration Application from PlayStation Store to your PSP
  • 2. Boot up the UMD Registration Application from your PSP's XMB menu and insert the UMD game you want to register into the system.
  • 3. Follow the prompts to register your UMD disc with your PSN account
  • 4. You can then download the downloadable version of your game at discount price.

The program will support around 200 titles from 40 companies. Sony posted a partial list of compatible titles with pricing today. Access it here.

Pricing in the list centers around the 500 yen to 1500 yen range. Major titles like Gran Turismo, Persona 3, Phantom Kingdom, and Akiba's Trip are included. While companies like Square Enix, Falcom, Capcom, Konami and Sega haven't announced titles, they are on board with the program, Sony says.

0 Kudos
LABELS:
View our house rules for posts
Post Reply Update Reply Cancel

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

AzzAJones

88%
03 Rank
Progress
AzzAJones
Accepted Solution

Having a look through the PSP essentials collection there's a good bunch of games for $12/$15, I don't know how much cheaper they'll get with this.

Nonetheless I applaud Sony for this feature!

0 Kudos

Re: Sony unveils UMD Passport for VITA .

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

blackwiggle

84%
02 Rank
Progress
blackwiggle
Accepted Solution

Although this is better than nothing, I do think there was a easier way to go about it, and without the need to purchase a downloadable version of the game from the PStore.

They could of given the PSP a system update that allowed it to save a copy of the game from the UMD [including it's individual disc code] into Sony's MEDIA GO! PC software [I'm assuming the VITA will be able to use this software, it would be daft if it didn't], then it could be treated as a backup and transferred only to the registered device, which would be a new VITA in this scenario.

If they did it like that it would make all the UMD based games you own available to be played on the VITA.

The way Sony's UMD Passport works, well if your UMD based game is not on the list you won't be able to play it on the VITA.

And although this partially remedies the compatibility problem between the PSP games and the VITA's games, it still leaves questions regarding transfer of DLC that you might have for those UMD based games.

Now all Sony has to do is bring out a VITA with Video output and the ability to use a wireless contoller like the PSP GO! could, and I'll buy one.

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

AzzAJones

88%
03 Rank
Progress
AzzAJones
Accepted Solution

Based upon the details of the UMD Passport would I be able to repurchase a game straight away and download it to my PSP.

Another way could've been to transfer program to back up copies of UMD games to a PS3.

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

blackwiggle

84%
02 Rank
Progress
blackwiggle
Accepted Solution

To answer you first question.

Well you can repurchase and download any PSP game that is available at the PStore now, onto either your PS3 or your PC, if running MEDIA GO! software, and transfer it to your PSP.

I can't think of any reason the same will not be able to happen with the VITA.

The only point of the UMD passport as far as I can see is to lessen the cost of the download if you already own a UMD version of the game, and to generate new revenue for old games that you already own.

Best scenario is if you got a download version of a game from the PStore to the PS3, transfer the game to PSP [the PSP needs to be a registered device with the PS3], then have the same PSP as a registered device in the MEDIA GO! software, and download the game as a backup from the PSP to MEDIA GO! software on your PC.

So you basically can have 3.5 legitimate copies, one [the original download] on PS3, one on memory card in the PSP, and one as backup in MEDIA GO!, plus a second virtual backup in your PStore download history.

As for your astute observation that another, far easier and more sensible way of doing exactly the same thing as the UMD passport, would of been just to transfer the same data from your PSP to your PS3 or MEDIA GO! software for that matter [since it needs to be a registered device with either to work anyway]

And then just download onto your shiny new VITA.

Yet again the bleeding obvious escapes Sony's comprehension, and a new long winded and totally unnecessary step is introduced for you to get your head around, then annoy you in having to execute it.

It's never ending with this lot.

Anything new from them you automatically wonder which episode of "Yes Minister" they got the idea from.

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

AzzAJones

88%
03 Rank
Progress
AzzAJones
Accepted Solution

What I meant was would I be able to repurchase the game at the discounted price, or would this not kick in until the release of the Vita.

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

blackwiggle

84%
02 Rank
Progress
blackwiggle
Accepted Solution

Well I can see Japan getting the UMD Passport software on the reported date, but I wouldn't be surprised if it isn't made available till a later date for other countries like Aus/NZ since the VITA isn't released till Feb.

Personally, I'd wait and see if there are any reported  problems from other users registering a UMD code and claiming a discounted price for the equivalent downloaded version, there's bound to be some screw up's with wrong procedures taken by people, problems getting the UMD codes from the discs into the system, or incorrect /not working/not received discount/ redemption codes.

There might be several ways of doing the same thing depending on where you want to store the downloaded games, straight to the new VITA, on your PS3 or download onto a PC running MEDIA GO!

It will probably require a update to our PStore for the system to take effect here anyway, and if true to form that won't be done until absolutely necessary.

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

PllayStation

96%
02 Rank
Progress
PllayStation
Accepted Solution
I've only tried this once. Will be re-buying more in the future.
0 Kudos

http://boards.openpandora.org/index.php/user/2120-sony/
View our house rules for posts
Post Reply Update Reply Cancel