02 Rank
Progress

Attempt to obtain IP address timed out

[ Edited ]
17 Replies 54,415 Views edited 12-10-2012
12 Oct 2012
By MIQL666

Hi 

i have ps3 for couple of months now and ive always used wired connection. Well because i i find it much better connection wise. I have been connecting to PSN without any problems untill now. I have recently moved my stuff around the room so my ps3 is now on the other side of the room thus CLOSER to the rooter  and finally when i had time to turn my ps3 and try to connect to psn... "Connection to the network could not be established" box pops out with suggestion box. I have tried multiple times turning my router off and on, i even left it off for 30min once. Finally i had enough of this and tried to mess about with the settings which also have NOT worked. Again it box pops out... saying "Attempt to obtain an IP address timed out" I read lots of similar posts on the internet and this forum but non of them is quit the same as mine, so there i am asking you guys for help. Please help.
P.s. 
I have no idea about the names ive read in posts before e.g. ISP... DHCP etc etc... So please explain while helping me please

Thanks

0 Kudos
LABELS:
View our house rules for posts
Post Reply Update Reply Cancel

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

fi8767

96%
09 Rank
Progress
fi8767
Accepted Solution
Have you tried the manual setup option on your PS3?
0 Kudos

Re: Attempt to obtain IP address timed out

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

MIQL666

25%
02 Rank
Progress
MIQL666
Accepted Solution

i have tried easy and manual, nothing works. Please help. Its really bothers me 

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

fi8767

96%
09 Rank
Progress
fi8767
Accepted Solution
What IP are you using?
0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16
96%
05 Rank
Progress
LittleBigDragonz
Accepted Solution

@MIQL666 wrote:

Hi 

i have ps3 for couple of months now and ive always used wired connection. Well because i i find it much better connection wise. I have been connecting to PSN without any problems untill now. I have recently moved my stuff around the room so my ps3 is now on the other side of the room thus CLOSER to the rooter  and finally when i had time to turn my ps3 and try to connect to psn... "Connection to the network could not be established" box pops out with suggestion box. I have tried multiple times turning my router off and on, i even left it off for 30min once. Finally i had enough of this and tried to mess about with the settings which also have NOT worked. Again it box pops out... saying "Attempt to obtain an IP address timed out" I read lots of similar posts on the internet and this forum but non of them is quit the same as mine, so there i am asking you guys for help. Please help.
P.s. 
I have no idea about the names ive read in posts before e.g. ISP... DHCP etc etc... So please explain while helping me please

Thanks

Ok mate try this.

Turn on all the things connected to you router ( PC / Laptops, ect ) wired and wireless )

once they are all connected turn OFF THE PS3 ...... Unplug the Ethernet cable that's connecting you PS3 to the Router.

Now turn ON THE PS3, and once it's booted up, RE-PLUG the Ethernet lead back into the Router THEN THE PS3?

Now go through a new connection setup in the PS3 Menus? This should fix your problems?

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

MIQL666

25%
02 Rank
Progress
MIQL666
Accepted Solution

ive tried as you said:
Turn everything ON... and PS3 OFF ... unplug the wire from both sides. Then when ps3 is on plug it back in. Ive then tried to to set new connection and yet it still doesnt work. I have no idea whats going on. 
Yes, ive tried it once i will try it once more tomorrow(step by step) but i have a bad feeling about this.

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
MVP
/16

mont348

• MVP
98%
15 Rank
Progress
mont348
Accepted Solution

@MIQL666 wrote:

ive tried as you said:
Turn everything ON... and PS3 OFF ... unplug the wire from both sides. Then when ps3 is on plug it back in. Ive then tried to to set new connection and yet it still doesnt work. I have no idea whats going on. 
Yes, ive tried it once i will try it once more tomorrow(step by step) but i have a bad feeling about this.

Have you tried an alternative ethernet cable? Maybe the one your using has became faulty?

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

MIQL666

25%
02 Rank
Progress
MIQL666
Accepted Solution
I have, i tried 3 different ones. ive tried the "solution" written above again multiple times and nothing seems to work. please. Really no one had that problem before ??
0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

nycekillz516

21%
02 Rank
Progress
nycekillz516
Accepted Solution

I have the same exact problem, moved my room around and my wired connection stoped working. My wireless works fine, ive tryed everything also. router restart and also my modem. Could it be a bug in the recent patch to my ps3? I have the fat ps3, one of the first models it never has given me a problem. Some feedback would be very appreciated. :xConfused:

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Beta Tester
/16

SuperFastZombie

• Beta Tester
92%
04 Rank
Progress
SuperFastZombie
Accepted Solution

Hi guys,

Run through the troubleshooting guides. If you continue to have problems please let me know.

SFZ

0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

drew-ov-thurny

22%
02 Rank
Progress
drew-ov-thurny
Accepted Solution

Ive dun tht stil doesnt work it jst wont connect wireless wot can i do

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Award Winner
/16

strangeplaice

• Award Winner
94%
10 Rank
Progress
strangeplaice
Accepted Solution

@drew-ov-thurny wrote:

Ive dun tht stil doesnt work it jst wont connect wireless wot can i do

Is the PS3 showing the access point when you scan for wireless networks?

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

tandooriboyz

21%
02 Rank
Progress
tandooriboyz
Accepted Solution

Hi, i have the exact same problem. A few months back my PS3 got the yellow light of death. So i got a new ps3 a few months back and ever since i have not been able to connect to the net. I click on Easy to set up my ocnnection but keep getting the ip address timed out error. Today i finally resolved it. I change my internet cable at the back that was connected to my Ps3. Apparently it had corrupted. Its all swell now. Also even if u use a wireless remove the cable at the back and u'd be able to get past the connection page.

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

ahmad1973

21%
02 Rank
Progress
ahmad1973
Accepted Solution

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

Mazen997

26%
02 Rank
Progress
Mazen997
Accepted Solution
I finally figured out how to solve this problem
All you need guys not to plug the wire directly to the router that's it
I have thinked about this idea and i did it and it works perfectly
Hope it works for all of you guys ☺
0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16
26%
02 Rank
Progress
SarcastiCommentz
Accepted Solution

Found a solution for the failure to obtain IP/ unable to connect to access point. Thought I'd share for any like me looking for a solution in old threads.

The the main fix was the router band. It was set to N only. I switched it to auto and it worked. If you have a need for a dedicated band then you may have to dig deeper. I will add that I had inadvertently combined this with other fixes so if that doesn't work by itself try the combo:

ssid: simple. Ex: I went from "networkname2.4" to networkname2 , no spaces/dashes/symbols. A-z,1-9 only
disable Upnp
set up through "custom" but used auto for everything except the Upnp

hope that helps.

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

mrjsmith4703

23%
02 Rank
Progress
mrjsmith4703
SarcastiCommentz
Accepted Solution

we just had our router replaced.  All devices are successfully using the wifi through the new router but not the PS3.  I'm getting the failure to obtain IP address msg too.  I've followed all the suggestions I've read so far to no avail.  But here I am at yours. I don't understand the tech stuff so I need a little more info, please.  What is the router band?  How do I see what the router band is set to? Would I be looking on the actual router or somewhere in the PS3 settings?

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
MVP
/16

hgwells

• MVP
92%
09 Rank
Progress
hgwells
mrjsmith4703
Accepted Solution

The ps3 only supports mode g WiFi. If this is not switched on on your new router, that could be the problem. You need to check settings in the router to see if this is the case. Time to read the router manual. Also you would need to setup a new wireless connection on the ps3.

Or you could save yourself all the grief, and end up with a faster, more stable, Internet connection by connecting to the router with an ethernet cable. If that is not practical,  look at powerline/homeplug devices

0 Kudos

View our house rules for posts
Post Reply Update Reply Cancel