02 Rank
Progress
Accepted Solution

GTA 5 wont install on PS3

[ Edited ]
101 Replies 212,259 Views edited 12-01-2016
29 Sep 2013
By CooleyJack

First off all some info of what i have tried so far and a small story.

The PS3 is the old fat one, i belive its the 40GB version but someone has installed a 150GB HDD.

So First i got a disc from grainger games, this wouldnt install, it loaded and did all the cut scene with the police stars ect.. and then ran onto the install screen. the MB counter moved but slowly, originally i thought it would take a hour or two to install as that is what i had heard, so i thought it wasnt strange that it was moving slowly. but it turns out everyone i know it has taken theirs no more than 30 minutes to install.

So, first off it started installing slow, got to around 3600mb and just froze. the picture stopped panning and changing and the MB completed didnt increse and the small loading circle that rotates stopped, so the whole process just froze.

I cleaned the disc properly and made sure it had no marks and it installed to another number, probably 5000mb or something but again froze up.

i swapped the disc for a new one from grainger games and hoped that would sort the issue but with no avail it still did the same thing, a friend reccomended to leave it running overnight to see if it would unfreeze itself, which didnt happen.

Then it started installing for what must be the 10th time and the number got to 600mb from completed and just stopped increasing, unlike before the picture changed, and the loading sign still spins around but the number was stuck on the same number for about 2 hours so something wasnt right.

I formatted the HDD. still wont install and still installs really really slow

I updated the PS3 to the latest version via the Safe mode. It still installs really slow.

I finally reset the PS3 back to factory settings. It still installs really slow but up to yet hasnt frozen. at the minute im on 5250/8486 and counting.

Do i need to re-update the PS3 after resetting it to factory settings at all? or should it have kept the update?

Other than the PS3 being knackered i cant think of anything else that could possibly be wrong with it. i think its a YLOD surviver so may be on its way out, fans are constantly on when installing and could do with an external setup or cleaning out which will be the next thing on my list to fix to keep temps down.

Any help is appriciated guys and this is my first time on here so be nice :)

Video of the install speed, its never changed speed or got any faster at all, every time i try to install it this is the speed the data moves at. this is REAL time speed.

LABELS: Games My System
View our house rules for posts
Post Reply Update Reply Cancel

Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Beta Tester
/16

SuperFastZombie

• Beta Tester
92%
04 Rank
Progress
SuperFastZombie
Accepted Solution

Hi guys, 

If your having trouble installing GTA V first thing to do is make sure that you have enough free space on your HDD. Its quite a big install so check in the System Settings that you have space. 

Next ensure that the disc is not dirty or scratched. 

You can also try Safe Mode options 3 and 4 which will correct any issues with your HDD file system. 

If your still having issues there may be a fault with the system, you can try tweeting @AskPS_UK for direct assistance (Operating hours are Wednesday to Sunday, 2:30pm to 11:00pm GMT) or contact Customer Support.

SFZ 

View solution in original post

Re: GTA 5 wont install on PS3, any ideas or tips.

[ Edited ]

All Replies

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

khaled99069

62%
02 Rank
Progress
khaled99069
Accepted Solution

already gave up on installing it long time ago I have tried but it didn't work ever and I am not gonna spend money to buy a new one I am going to throw my ps3 or sell it because ***** Playstation I should focus on my study ***** you Playstation support  gonna go play super Mario lol

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

Robinson1590

52%
02 Rank
Progress
Robinson1590
Accepted Solution

I'm at the point of giving up this is why I'm glad I kept my Xbox set up as this was one game I was looking to enjoy playing again but the time it takes to instal I'd rather just not bother and play it on the 360 I'm starting to think The PlayStation is overrated and won't bother getting a PS4 

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

powertech210

40%
02 Rank
Progress
powertech210
Accepted Solution

its december 2016   i have gone thru 3 diff ps3 consoles and 3 diff gta 5 discs.   when i try to install gta 5 it freezes about 3282 mb.    about half way thru...  can someone help me please.   anything i can do??  

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

Kingsrazi911

27%
02 Rank
Progress
Kingsrazi911
Accepted Solution

My Instalation isn't done yet and it is going to freeze every Where?

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

INMATE719840

23%
02 Rank
Progress
INMATE719840
Accepted Solution

I gotit boom forget everyone els.

Ok i been having that same problem but i notice everytime i deleted the half install it hade 2 files the install and the content so i dont know why i tryed this but i deleted the install then installed a different game then gta5 again and it worked and i read and tryed everything twice that will work for all those bull shiters who b like turn this off then that off ha gotit problem solved i hate them kind of half people 

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

Lillkeeb

22%
02 Rank
Progress
Lillkeeb
Accepted Solution

same thing happend to me rn, tried the safe mode options and still not working, changing disc didn't work either. Is there anything else I can try?

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

IITheSlumpGodII

25%
02 Rank
Progress
IITheSlumpGodII
Accepted Solution

Has anyone found a fix yet 

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16
24%
02 Rank
Progress
MrzKittySoftPawz
Accepted Solution

I have had this problem on both of my ps3. I have done everything that you guys have said..even took them to a repair shop and they passed withnothing wrong. I bought new gta v disc and it still wont install. I have done updates as well for my system. Did the whole safe mode thing and still nothing. It always slows down at 2641/8680 it will maybe move a notch. This is so frustrating. I just want to play...lol

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

sarah2086b

22%
02 Rank
Progress
sarah2086b
Accepted Solution

For the last 3 days as i have tried to install GTA5 it always stops at 2098. This morning i completely reset using the longer format which took roughly 3 1/2 hours. I then was told to update, so i did. It then started to install and got to around 2100. No music but the pictures still change. the spinning wheel still moves. Anyways i came to check on it and it was upto 4000+ and it was climbing quickly, i got excited too quickly because it's now stopped at 7409. It's extremely frustrating! I just want to play the game! Anyone figured out a fix or reason to why it does this? 

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
MVP
/16

mont348

• MVP
100%
16 Rank
Progress
mont348
sarah2086b
Accepted Solution

It's likely data corruption causing both game data and game update data to fail to install.

1. Delete all data downloaded/installed so far for GTA.

2. Restore the PS3's file system option 3 via the safe mode menu.

https://www.playstation.com/en-gb/get-help/help-library/system---hardware/power---system-stability/s...

3. Disable the PS3's Internet connection in System Settings and install GTA V without updating, once fully installed enable the PS3's Internet connection again.

4. Scroll to the GTA V icon instead of pressing X press triangle then check for update to update.

To avoid data corruption of updates on PS3.

1. Use a wired connection rather than wireless.
  2. Disable the media server in the PS3's network settings.
  3. Switch off any torrent programmes running on devices over your home network,these can play havok with connectivity and updates particularly with GTA and COD.
  4. Put your PS3 into your routers DMZ.
  5. Avoid mobile broadband connections.

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

theforgotten187

42%
02 Rank
Progress
theforgotten187
Accepted Solution

It's the end of 2017 and I'm still having issues with slow installation speeds.. There's enough room on my system and there is but a teentsy scratch on my game.. Whatever happened to bluerays being " more durable " than dvds if but a tiny scratch will cause a game to install slowly? 

[ Edited ]

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

bretb0923

23%
02 Rank
Progress
bretb0923
Accepted Solution

Mine keeps freezing but it finally got past it at 932/6059

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

killingqueen86

22%
02 Rank
Progress
killingqueen86
Accepted Solution

I had the same problem bought game from gamestop and it downloaded update fine but when trying to play game it wouldnt go through the install so I tried everything this thing says to do just about wiped out the whole ps3 when I thought what if it's the game so I took game back and gamestop gave me another used gta five well that one was worse off then the first wouldn't even go into the install screen it would freeze so I took it back got my money back went to Walmart and bought a brand new gta v and works great so before you get rid of any of your game data or make any changes to your ps3 make sure it's not your game cause I lost years of game data from listening to what this form and other forms say

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

Manokita

28%
02 Rank
Progress
Manokita
Accepted Solution

i have tried everything .New game new ps3 install reinstall format restore everything ...Nothing worked.

THE ANSWER IS THIS!!

find a friend with a ps3 that gta v is working .Link them with ethernet cable .Transfer data from friend ps3 to yours.This will erase everything to your ps3 and install everything from your friend including gtav .Delete all the other game you dont want delete the user from your friend and DONE!!put the disc you allready have that didnt want to work before ,and now with the game allready installed it will work 

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

kimbella98

45%
02 Rank
Progress
kimbella98
Accepted Solution

image.jpgI have a (Ps3 slim ) and the game continues to get stuck over and over. I deleted EVERYTHING off my ps console and still doesn’t work. I bought the game from someone and he has a lot of progress. I’ve read that I should just delete the data and restart the game so how would I do that or what are some other tips ????? Help !!!

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

lord_cam2

22%
02 Rank
Progress
lord_cam2
Accepted Solution

I tried all solutions but none workers 

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

alexpyatskowit4

24%
02 Rank
Progress
alexpyatskowit4
Accepted Solution

I have the same exact problem ps3 slim 120gb gta starts downloading they the number freeze and music but the pictures still move and the loading circle 

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

HeVaeLiuM

25%
02 Rank
Progress
HeVaeLiuM