47%
02 Rank
Progress
Accepted Solution

PS3 backup will not work 'USB device cannot be accessed'

12 Replies 10,399 Views Created 29-01-2013
29 Jan 2013
By mdstone

I have an 80GB hard drive in my PS3 which has become full so I have purchasesd a 500GB drive as an upgrade.

I have borrowed a mate's External 1TB USB Buffalo drive to use on the backup utility which is formatted as FAT32.  It reads fine on the PS3 but when I run the backup utility it failed about 30% of the way through saying there wasn't enough space on the drive despite there being over 900GB free. 

I re-formatted the drive as FAT32 again and now the backup utility does not even start to begin as it gets to the point where it is 'calculating' the time to run the backup and fails with the error 'USB device cannot be accessed'.

The drive is connected with USB and an external power supply so it is not a case of not enough power getting to the drive and it plays video off the drive fine without issue.

Can anyone help?

0 Kudos
LABELS:
View our house rules for posts
Post Reply Update Reply Cancel

Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

mdstone

47%
02 Rank
Progress
mdstone
Accepted Solution

Thanks for all the help, it looks like a combination of formatting with the FAT32 Formatter tool and a different smaller drive slipped into a docker done the trick first time.  I would guess that the 1TB drive would have worked if formatted with FAT32 correctly using the tool but I wasn't prepared to wait that long as the 250GB drive took over 2 hours via USB!

One thing I also had to do which I didn't realise at first was download the latest PS3 Update file onto a flash drive when booting up with the new drive installed.  I was hoping this whole experience would have gone a bit smoother but I got there in the end.

It's worth mentioning with regards to other post topics on what the backup utility doesn't backup, I lost my 3D dragon theme which I had from my free 1 month of PS+.  This is probably becuase i'm not a member of PS+ anymore.  Only a small gripe, I loved that Dragon but i'm too tight to pay for it!

Thanks again.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos

Re: PS3 backup will not work 'USB device cannot be accessed'

All Replies

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Award Winner
/16

strangeplaice

• Award Winner
94%
10 Rank
Progress
strangeplaice
Accepted Solution
DId you use the utility "FAT32 Formatter" to format the drive?
0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

mdstone

47%
02 Rank
Progress
mdstone
Accepted Solution

No I used Easeus.  I tried it a 3rd time and it got to 32% this time and then failed.

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Award Winner
/16

Kermit1970

• Award Winner
100%
16 Rank
Progress
Kermit1970
Accepted Solution
It might be a problem with how Easeus formats the drive.

Look for FAT32FORMAT. That will format large capacity drives. I used it ages ago to format a 1TB external hard drive, and more recently a 1TB internal drive for my PS3 as well
0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

mdstone

47%
02 Rank
Progress
mdstone
Accepted Solution

I will try FAT32 FORMAT this evening.  As a backup I aslo have a 250GB WD drive that I will connect via a SATA dock.  One should at least work I hope.

[edit]

Just to confirm, should I use FAT32 FORMAT or FAT32 FORMATTER? They appear to be different products.  I'm assuming you guys had the same issue as me at some point with this device error message too?

0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Beta Tester
/16

SuperFastZombie

• Beta Tester
92%
04 Rank
Progress
SuperFastZombie
Accepted Solution

@mdstone wrote:

I will try FAT32 FORMAT this evening.  As a backup I aslo have a 250GB WD drive that I will connect via a SATA dock.  One should at least work I hope.

[edit]

Just to confirm, should I use FAT32 FORMAT or FAT32 FORMATTER? They appear to be different products.  I'm assuming you guys had the same issue as me at some point with this device error message too?

Please let us know how you get on.

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Award Winner
/16

Kermit1970

• Award Winner
100%
16 Rank
Progress
Kermit1970
Accepted Solution

@mdstone wrote:

[edit]

This is the site for FAT32FORMAT

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

foxsevent

92%
04 Rank
Progress
foxsevent
Accepted Solution

Any of those two will do fine, if ti still fails make sure the HDD is not damaged in any way.

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Award Winner
/16

strangeplaice

• Award Winner
94%
10 Rank
Progress
strangeplaice
Accepted Solution

@foxsevent wrote:

Any of those two will do fine, if ti still fails make sure the HDD is not damaged in any way.

Yep, either should work but this is the one I used. Be wary not to format the windows partition though!

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

mdstone

47%
02 Rank
Progress
mdstone
Accepted Solution

Thanks for all the help, it looks like a combination of formatting with the FAT32 Formatter tool and a different smaller drive slipped into a docker done the trick first time.  I would guess that the 1TB drive would have worked if formatted with FAT32 correctly using the tool but I wasn't prepared to wait that long as the 250GB drive took over 2 hours via USB!

One thing I also had to do which I didn't realise at first was download the latest PS3 Update file onto a flash drive when booting up with the new drive installed.  I was hoping this whole experience would have gone a bit smoother but I got there in the end.

It's worth mentioning with regards to other post topics on what the backup utility doesn't backup, I lost my 3D dragon theme which I had from my free 1 month of PS+.  This is probably becuase i'm not a member of PS+ anymore.  Only a small gripe, I loved that Dragon but i'm too tight to pay for it!

Thanks again.

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Award Winner
/16

Kermit1970

• Award Winner
100%
16 Rank
Progress
Kermit1970
Accepted Solution

@mdstone wrote:

Thanks again.

The link I supplied does the formatting of a 1TB drive in seconds.

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

mdstone

47%
02 Rank
Progress
mdstone
Accepted Solution

@Kermit1970 wrote:

@mdstone wrote:

Thanks again.

The link I supplied does the formatting of a 1TB drive in seconds.

Thanks, i'll be saving this link for future reference, I assumed they would both take the same time but when you start formatting its not a good idea to abort it.

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Award Winner
/16

Kermit1970

• Award Winner
100%
16 Rank
Progress
Kermit1970
Accepted Solution
You will be suprised at how quick it is. I was. When I first formatted my 1TB external drive I thought "It can't have done it already". But I did a quick check using windows DIR function and it checked out perfectly.
0 Kudos

View our house rules for posts
Post Reply Update Reply Cancel