View Original Post
24 Mar 2012
By ocelot07

ocelot07

• Beta Tester
95%
09 Rank
Progress

I know GAME are in trouble...............

56 Replies 1,341 Views Created 24-03-2012
24 Mar 2012
By ocelot07

But this is low.

A picture has been submitted to us via an anonymous source showing the terrible practices GAME are stooping to; to claw in some last minute profits.

In what appears to be a desperate attempt to shift the back log of games cluttering up the storerooms of troubled retailer GAME, in the picture you can see that copies of Mass Effect 2 have had the '2' in their titles conveniently covered over by a price sticker - the low price of £18 to be exact and plonked on the number 1 slot of their chart games display.

Its pretty obvious what the intention is here and it is utterly disgusting. There are of course plenty of us who would recognise that box art to be of Mass Effect 2 and not the new release, but there are also many parents, friends, people not so in the know wanting to pick up Mass Effect 3 for a loved one. These people probably aren't even aware that GAME isn't even stocking Mass Effect 3. 

Overall, its a pretty disgusting underhanded tactic, and in my personal opinion, for pulling stunts like this, they deserve what is coming to them. 

What are your opinions of tactics like this? Do they boil your blood as much as they do ours here at GameGrin? 

We will update this post once we know exactly what branch this picture was taken at.

Source: http://www.gamegrin.com/game/news/2012/stay-classy-game-right-till-the-end

Shamefull.

0 Kudos
LABELS:
View our house rules for posts
Post Reply Update Reply Cancel

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

aaronsimo

90%
04 Rank
Progress
aaronsimo
Accepted Solution

@fski wrote:

The linked 'article' is a load of old turdwater too;

'Its pretty obvious what the intention is here and it is utterly disgusting'

It is? Intent by assumption, how convenient for the writer.

oh but how would he get views by not jumping on the hate game bandwaggon?
0 Kudos

Re: I know GAME are in trouble...............

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

Caragorn_007-11

98%
03 Rank
Progress
Caragorn_007-11
Accepted Solution

@fski wrote:

The linked 'article' is a load of old turdwater too;

'Its pretty obvious what the intention is here and it is utterly disgusting'

It is? Intent by assumption, how convenient for the writer.

My gut reaction was to shout bast****, but Fski could be right and it is in the 'used' game chart. Not sure! :-)

0 Kudos

Superman

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

Clxmj

96%
03 Rank
Progress
Clxmj
Accepted Solution

To be fair look at the other stickers on the other cases, look at how their all placed in the same position. If said person buys this thinking its Mass Effect 3 then more fool them, all they've gotta do is either turn the case around or ask the member of staff.

0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Beta Tester
/16

Chimpanzee

• Beta Tester
94%
06 Rank
Progress
Chimpanzee
Accepted Solution
I find it quite funny that they're also promoting Max Payne 3 pre-orders... Come on GAME, we all know you won't be here in May.
0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

SPiiDER08

31%
02 Rank
Progress
SPiiDER08
Accepted Solution

@Chimpanzee wrote:
I find it quite funny that they're also promoting Max Payne 3 pre-orders... Come on GAME, we all know you won't be here in May.

assassins creed 3 aswell. and thats october. although they may stay as an online retailer.

0 Kudos

"To conquer Fritzl you must become Fritzl"

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Beta Tester
/16

Roxas598

• Beta Tester
94%
06 Rank
Progress
Roxas598
Accepted Solution

People seeing something thats not there...again! so what they put ME2 in number 1? it's a known fact that if a sequel of a game comes out the ones before it start selling again.

and as for the stickers thats standard procedure. you saying if they put assassins creed II on there and did the same people would think it's number III? no i don't think so.

Stores have no stock of new games atm the reson they put ME2 there is due to it being popular since 3 came out. getting sick of people jumping on the GAME hate bandwagon and seeing things that aren't even there.

EDIT: and yes i know the company is bad. in fact most regualrs can tell you how much i dislike the company. but stop seeing things that aren't there,. your not only kicking a company who's down but ***** think of the thousands of decent people going to be out of work soon. have some respect and let the company go down peacefully.

0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

aaronsimo

90%
04 Rank
Progress
aaronsimo
Accepted Solution

@Roxas598 wrote:

EDIT: and yes i know the company is bad. in fact most regualrs can tell you how much i dislike the company. but stop seeing things that aren't there,. your not only kicking a company who's down but ***** think of the thousands of decent people going to be out of work soon. have some respect and let the company go down peacefully.

couldnt agree more :) though i wouldnt say we're down yet, still fighting on :lol: but some people need to think before they give comments. yes we know some (the usual people) hate the company but is there any need to keep throwing snide comments around?
0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

LarasAider

90%
05 Rank
Progress
LarasAider
Accepted Solution

example.png

This is where I would put a sticker on Mass Effect 2. It's not over any title nor on any logos or symbols.

Game should try and accommodate their stickers to the box art, instaed of covering up key features.

All logos and symbols present in the picture belong to their rightful owner. Mass Effect 2 video game developed by Bioware and published by Electronic Arts (EA). Xbox 360 is a trademark belonging to Microsoft Corporation. 

0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
To Gaming... Always Faithful.

Error: Undergoing Maintenance

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Award Winner
/16

fski

• Award Winner
97%
07 Rank
Progress
fski
Accepted Solution

What a lot of nonsense.

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Beta Tester
/16

Roxas598

• Beta Tester
94%
06 Rank
Progress
Roxas598
Accepted Solution

@LarasAider wrote:

example.png

This is where I would put a sticker on Mass Effect 2. It's not over any title nor on any logos or symbols.

Game should try and accommodate their stickers to the box art, instaed of covering up key features.

All logos and symbols present in the picture belong to their rightful owner. Mass Effect 2 video game developed by Bioware and published by Electronic Arts (EA). Xbox 360 is a trademark belonging to Microsoft Corporation. 

there's a problem with this.

If they indeed told us to put the sticker there when a sale eventually goes on (like whats happened here) the sale sticker wold cover up the age rating on the bottom of the box which we aren't allowed to do afaik.

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Beta Tester
/16

michelle_tabor

• Beta Tester
96%
15 Rank
Progress
michelle_tabor
Accepted Solution
I always assumed the sticker just had to be put on the front not covering anything.
Didn't someone in that store look at it and think "why not put it down a bit lower" or "christ this looks a bit dodgy" ?

Can you not see that in that chart spot with the sticker covering the number looks bad?
0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

ansteye

90%
04 Rank
Progress
ansteye
Accepted Solution

meh, i work at hmv and all cases would need to be stickered in the same position. for standards. esp if your ocd. you want it to look neat and tidy. maybe shouldnt have it in number 1 but like peopz say its to boost sales one 2nd one.

0 Kudos

photo titel_derek4.png

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

ansteye

90%
04 Rank
Progress
ansteye
Accepted Solution

unless mass effect 2 is there "number 1" then in this case its fine.

0 Kudos

photo titel_derek4.png

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

FooFan73

90%
03 Rank
Progress
FooFan73
Accepted Solution

@michelle_tabor wrote:
I always assumed the sticker just had to be put on the front not covering anything.
Didn't someone in that store look at it and think "why not put it down a bit lower" or "christ this looks a bit dodgy" ?

Can you not see that in that chart spot with the sticker covering the number looks bad?

Agreed

0 Kudos

Photobucket

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

ZOLO-788

98%
03 Rank
Progress
ZOLO-788
Accepted Solution
Cant believe people are trying to justify Games actions. Theres no way Mass Effect 2 is number 1 in the charts. Dirty *****, Im glad they are going under.
0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

boyd45

91%
05 Rank
Progress
boyd45
Accepted Solution
Did you ever think some low life found some copies of Mass effect 2 in store and placed them at no1 and took a quick picture. Anyway its a display case they normally have the game wraped up in the plastic case witout the sticker
0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

Shadow_Storm_uk

84%
02 Rank
Progress
Shadow_Storm_uk
Accepted Solution

I Traded in my Copy of Mass Effect 2 over the weekend... get this they gave me £15 trade-in price the selling price is £19.99,  they know people are not going to pay £19.99 for a 2 year old title.  Now in December of last year they only offered me £3 which mnost supermarkets are offering, of course i jumped at that £15 trade-in price.

whats more interesting,  During the fire sale i spent £55-60 on games, i got £95 trade-in value back, so got myself a PS3 slim 320gb.

I think there is a ploy with the administration here,  now the stores are up for sale and/or may close relatively soon. maybe the price of the stock thats left reduces the debt of the company.  i'm not entirely sure this is the case, although thats seems to be the most logical answer for the crazy trade-ins.

0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Beta Tester
/16

ytevo79

• Beta Tester
95%
11 Rank
Progress
ytevo79
Accepted Solution
Well if people are stupid enough to hand cash over for a product they don't fully know what it is then that's their stupid fault.

Just like a lad I know buying an empty TV case with bricks in it off some travellers the other day :Lol: Its up to you to check it is correct and what you want in the first place. No excuse.

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Award Winner
/16

Warren_Jeeves

• Award Winner
98%
15 Rank
Progress
Warren_Jeeves
Accepted Solution

@ytevo79 wrote:
Just like a lad I know buying an empty TV case with bricks in it off some travellers the other day :Lol: Its up to you to check it is correct and what you want in the first place. No excuse.

That happened to a couple of my work mates years ago, I was with them at the time and told them not to buy the TV and video player from the back of the gypsies van they didn't listen.

Oh how me and the other lads laughed at them when they unwrapped the cellophane to find a TV with bricks in and a broken video player after the gypsies were long gone.:Stupid:

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Beta Tester
/16

DrTrouserPlank

• Beta Tester
88%
02 Rank
Progress
DrTrouserPlank
Accepted Solution

Look at the stickers on Darkness, Saints Row 3 and Battlefield 3. They are all in the same place. 

0 Kudos

PSN: DrTrouserPlank
XBL: AgentKillmore

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Beta Tester
/16

babaoriley3

• Beta Tester
92%
09 Rank
Progress
babaoriley3
Accepted Solution
If I'm being truthful, I'd look at that and think it was Mass Effect, seeing as the number is covered up
0 Kudos

View our house rules for posts
Post Reply Update Reply Cancel