05 Rank
Progress

The People vs Andy Serkis

[ Edited ]
27 Replies 2,953 Views edited 06-10-2010
20 Sep 2010
By TehRadge

monkey.jpg

ANDY SERKIS AND TAMEEM ANTONIADES HAVE ANSWERED YOUR QUESTIONS, CLICK HERE TO READ!

Lord of the Rings, King Kong, the Ian Dury biopic.  And of course there is Heavenly Sword where Andy Serkis took on the task of Dramatic Direction, as well as playing the Part of King Bohan.

Andy is teaming up again once more with Ninja Theory to direct dramatic cut scenes in ENSLAVED: Odyssey to the West and we are offering you a chance to put your questions towards him.

To get in on the action all you need to do is post your questions in this thread, as usual all the best ones will be put forward and the resulting article will be posted on http://eu.playstation.com

Don't forget that the demo for ENSLAVED: Odyssey to the West is out now on the PlayStation store, the story is written by Alex Garland and music composted by Nitin Sawhney.

0 Kudos
LABELS:
View our house rules for posts
Post Reply Update Reply Cancel

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
MVP
/16

castaway666

• MVP
98%
15 Rank
Progress
castaway666
Accepted Solution
My questions -

1. Does he think the gap in working as voice/physical actor in the videogame industry is closing with the performances you have to make in the film industry as quality of graphics etc.. improve.

2. Does he feel he's become the "go-to" person for MOCAP etc.. since his turns in the various games and the films he's done, and does he feel this is a benefit to his career long term by being seen as this especially as the line between the industries blur.

3. Hobbit - involved - Acting or advising.

also just tell him great actor - his take as Ian Dury was awesome.
0 Kudos

Re: The People vs Andy Serkis

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

Mikal_Drey

96%
05 Rank
Progress
Mikal_Drey
Accepted Solution

hes an awful actor

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Award Winner
/16

fski

• Award Winner
97%
07 Rank
Progress
fski
Accepted Solution

@Mikal_Drey wrote:

hes an awful actor

Why?

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

Mikal_Drey

96%
05 Rank
Progress
Mikal_Drey
Accepted Solution
ive seen him in a few of his films and every time his "acting" ruins the film.

(in my opinion) he has overacted so much for the mocap work that it bleeds over into his "acting" he always comes across as hamming it up. i didnt watch the ian dury thing as i just cant stand andy serkis.

it was the same with Heavenly Sword. he overacts and nothing he does is ever convincing and its like watching a school play. its like when Picard tries to cry. its awfull. tbvh its very noticable with theatre trained actors compared to film and tv actors.

it upsets me as heavenly sword was 'kin awesome and enslaved looks . ... . not sure if i like the yelowish tint to the graphics and the character movements always look jerky with mocap. i hope they fix the lipsynch issues the demo had. played like a rip off of a few titles mixed but the video at the end of the demo really looked like something special.

the girl who looks frightneningly like nariko, i know im 37 (and should know better), and i know shes only pixels . . . but she makes me wanna play this even more :)
0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
MVP
/16

castaway666

• MVP
98%
15 Rank
Progress
castaway666
Accepted Solution
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Mikal_Drey wrote:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

hes an awful actor

So you've not seen the Ian Dury biopic - S,D&R yet you can claim he's awful actor, and also... why bother posting that on here if you have nothing to ask of him? If you want to start a thread about having feelings over a computer character do it in the main board.

imho.

tbh
0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Beta Tester
/16

hashegotabeard

• Beta Tester
95%
06 Rank
Progress
hashegotabeard
Accepted Solution
What was it like working with Golem..... and is he as down-to- earth as his on-screen persona suggests
0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Beta Tester
/16

hashegotabeard

• Beta Tester
95%
06 Rank
Progress
hashegotabeard
Accepted Solution
What was it like working with Golem..... and is he as down-to- earth as his on-screen persona suggests?
0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Beta Tester
/16

hashegotabeard

• Beta Tester
95%
06 Rank
Progress
hashegotabeard
Accepted Solution
I'm that eager to find out I've posted twice! If he doesn't answer here I'm sure I've got his personal number around here somewhere.
0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

Mikal_Drey

96%
05 Rank
Progress
Mikal_Drey
Accepted Solution

@castaway666 wrote:
@Mikal_Drey wrote:

hes an awful actor

So you've not seen the Ian Dury biopic - S,D&R yet you can claim he's awful actor, and also... why bother posting that on here if you have nothing to ask of him? If you want to start a thread about having feelings over a computer character do it in the main board.

imho.

tbh

soooooo its ok to say that hes a great actor but not ok if someone replies otherwise ?

what if i had asked a few questions and added a tagline (like you did) which read "also tell him he an awful actor - his Thomas Quinn was terrible"

and you also surely realise that computer characters are specifically designed so that gamers (which are usually hormonal tweens) form some kind of emotional attachment to them.

valid questions

why does he believe that ingame characters; specifically female protagonists; are often excessivly sexual ?

whats his take on the lead female character bearing a remarkable similarity to nariko ?

does having a female in the lead role appeal to male or female gamers  ?

tomb raider didnt create a strong female fanbase and encourage more females to game yet we have been seeing a larger collection of lead female roles in console gaming. whats his take on this ?

with female character design being overtly sexual what impact does that have on the directing. is there any deliberate physicality involved with creating a scene ?

Nariko was a great character to play and was a refreshing change to alot of avatars in a male dominated industry. how difficult is it to direct a female character to keep their femininty and yet maintain a link with the gamer, who is typically male ?

the reason(s) why i didnt watch the ian dury biopic was mostly cause i have zero interest in ian dury.

i can claim hes an awful actor because i have made my decision based on his previous performances. its a personal opinion for sure and fski was polite and curious enough to ask why.  there are many actors and actresses which i dont like and many films and books which i dont like.

his ian dury has got some good plaudits but unfortunatly with biopics it is very clear that the quality of the direction, writing, and fanboisim can, and will often overshadow anything else.  Jamie Foxx's performance in Ray was outstanding but hes also an awful actor (imho)

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
MVP
/16

castaway666

• MVP
98%
15 Rank
Progress
castaway666
Accepted Solution
my point was this thread was to ask questions, not just slate his acting ability, I think it's fine that you don't like the actor or any actor, but as you mentioned he was an awful actor to my message about the Ian dury role which you hadn't seen, i thought a bit unfair. Sorry if I didn't post a clear message.

for example a valid question on your earlier post could have been, why do you ham up your acting?

I didnt' want an opportunity to pose questions to Andy Serkis as a jumping board for people to complain/moan. Nothing personal against your good self. Some of the question you have posted I find will be interesting to know his thoughts.

As for forming emotional attachments, in my personal experience of game playing (over 25years from a very young age back in the days of the Atari 2600), no i've never felt "that way" over a computer character.
0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

djreplay

60%
02 Rank
Progress
djreplay
Accepted Solution

To Andy, why (do you think) have video games overtaken movies as the biggest entertainment industry? 

0 Kudos

Rolling Brownouts aren't a savoury snack

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

MODEYV2

52%
02 Rank
Progress
MODEYV2
Accepted Solution

That happened when GTA4 came out.. It earned more money than any movie or game ever made

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Beta Tester
/16

TehRadge

• Beta Tester
93%
05 Rank
Progress
TehRadge
Accepted Solution

Thanks for all your questions people.  We will get Andy and Tameem from Ninja Theory to respond to them..........NOW

Andy, do you think the gap between working as a voice actor and a physical actor in videogames is closing in on the performances you have to give in the film industry as technology improves? (castaway666, United Kingdom)

AS: I've never considered acting in any medium to be any different because the whole process is understanding a character and knowing how that character works and performs within a story. I think the greatest gap that has really narrowed is the realisation that story is a huge part of gaming and there is no technology to support performances in a very equal, real and engaging way.

What was it like working together again after collaborating on Heavenly Sword? (LordZargus, United Kingdom)

AS: It was fantastic building on the reputation and all the things that we learned from Heavenly Sword. Tameem and I work together very successfully, and I even co-directed the performance capture sequences. I think it's fair to say we have fairly similar tastes in what we aspire to create in the game. So for me it was a joy to get involved again, and I'm hoping it's going to continue because I think there is something very vibrant and dynamic about working this way.

TA: For me it was kind of like having an old friend back. It was very comfortable and it went a lot smoother and quicker this time because we knew what we were doing - not that we didn't know before, it was the first time performance capture had been used in a videogame. It was a pleasure, actually; a lot of fun.

How involved were you in the creation of ENSLAVED, Andy? (Triciptinus, Germany)

AS: Well, it goes back beyond the actual principal photography shoot to story design, character and how those things came together. I was involved in all of that along with Alex Garland, the writer. The big challenge was how to sustain a story which is predominantly about two characters and their relationship. That had to be worked out over a long period of time.

When it came to the shoot we would talk through the scenes, we'd rehearse them, block them and then shoot them. Tameem would watch scenes, give back notes, then I would watch it with him again and often we'd arrive at a take that we agreed on and then move on. It worked really well.

TA: We would swap duties throughout, so when he was on set I would direct and when he was off set we would review stuff or he would direct if he wasn't in the scene. We worked together before so there wasn't any conflict or anything like that; we were all on the same page.

Andy, the three games you have worked on, excluding the movie tie-ins, have all been of the same genre - fantasy and role playing. Is this a coincidence? (RedHeadband, Great Britain)

AS: No, I think the greater allegorical stories really work well in videogames like that. These kinds of characters really work well because you actually get to see more about the human condition through those allegories and metaphors in fantasy and RPG games.

How many different ideas did you knock around before settling on what gamers see today? (Lucreto, Republic of Ireland)

TA: You know, I often wonder how ideas form because there doesn't seem to be any set way. I'd read Journey to the West and in the back of mind I always thought it would make a cool game. We had just finished Heavenly Sword and our art director said he wanted to work on something sci-fi; so all these connections just came together and I think it just grew organically.

It was definitely the fact that we wanted to do a retelling of Journey to the West, but more specifically to focus on the dynamics of character between two people. You don't see that in games because usually the colour spectrum of emotions is quite primary. This is much more like a real relationship; you just don't see that in games. That was what we always wanted to do and not just in story, in gameplay too.

How do you find working on videogames in comparison to working on a movie? Is there much of a difference? (Rainbird01, Norway)

AS: No, there is no difference, you're telling a story and you're playing a character in that story. Obviously as part of a grander canvas we're concentrating on essentially the shoot, which is like a film shoot. That's where my expertise lies, but the other side of it - level design, game design - is separate. My remit is the dramatic side and helping to bring that alive as much as possible. In terms of acting, there really is no difference.

You can read all of the above on eu.playstation.com as well.  Enjoy.

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

Lt_Fed_Brusque

98%
07 Rank
Progress
Lt_Fed_Brusque
Accepted Solution

Nice interview :)

Must resist temptation to buy Enslaved (>_<)

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
MVP
/16

castaway666

• MVP
98%
15 Rank
Progress
castaway666
Accepted Solution
Thanks for choosing one of my questions!
0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

Rainbird01

23%
02 Rank
Progress
Rainbird01
Accepted Solution

Sweet, one of my questions got picked. I'm from Denmark though. :-P

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

RedHeadband

24%
02 Rank
Progress
RedHeadband
Accepted Solution

Thanks, too for picking one of mine. Similarily, I'm from Ireland, though I suspect that if you'd known that beforehand, you might have only picked one question from Ireland, so... Handy.

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

OpTiC_KiNGPiNG

21%
02 Rank
Progress
OpTiC_KiNGPiNG
Accepted Solution

Question:

After seeing this running with the heavenly sword fighting engine I am left to wonder if this title is successful would you think of taking some of the profit and putting it towards a heavenly sword sequel?

As the original title sold 1 million copies which according to you was not enough but a lot has changed with the ps3 as the console base has grown to 38+ million and im sure that a sequel to the amazing adventure of Heavenly Sword would be well received

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
MVP
/16

castaway666

• MVP
98%
15 Rank
Progress
castaway666
Accepted Solution
Question:

After seeing this running with the heavenly sword fighting engine I am left to wonder if this title is successful would you think of taking some of the profit and putting it towards a heavenly sword sequel?

As the original title sold 1 million copies which according to you was not enough but a lot has changed with the ps3 as the console base has grown to 38+ million and im sure that a sequel to the amazing adventure of Heavenly Sword would be well received

Not to p!***** on your parade, but would Andy Serkis be in a position to answer this? He might be involved at this stage if there was development of a Heavenly Sword sequel currently in the works? 

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

mollypop86

21%
02 Rank
Progress
mollypop86
Accepted Solution

The BEST question so please pick! =)   Andy when are you coming to Massachusetts?

0 Kudos

View our house rules for posts
Post Reply Update Reply Cancel