CZ_Martas-79

47%
02 Rank
Progress

About Sony's game/DLC/Add-on region lock logic

18 Replies 125,698 Views Created 04-06-2014
04 Jun 2014
By CZ_Martas-79

I'm living in China, I've purchased my PS4 in Hong Kong together with the game (BF4) there. But I'm coming from Europe (CZ) so I'm still using my Czech PSN account. Small issue difficult to understand is, that Sony let you pay and download the games DLC's, add-on's etc. on you PSN account for games coming from different region than you acount was created, BUT DOESN'T LET YOU INSTALL IT BECAUSE OF THE DIFFERENT REGION BETWEEN GAME AND ADD-ON!

Can somebody let me know, why the store is not checking before the purchase, if the add-on has the same region as the installed game on PS4???

It seems, I've thrown some money out of the window:Stupid:

LABELS: Battlefield 4
View our house rules for posts
Post Reply Update Reply Cancel

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Beta Tester
/16

Nakatsu_Hime

• Beta Tester
95%
06 Rank
Progress
Nakatsu_Hime
Accepted Solution

It doesn't check because it would need to interrogate the gamedisk, which may (or may not be) in your machine. Technically possible, but far easier for Sony to assume you've read the warnings that are always in the DLC description, and are aware of the game/DLC parity rules.

Also, doing this check would possibly block users that genuinely wanted to buy DLC for a differing region, unless it was just a warning, which it isn't, so they don't.

0 Kudos

Re: About Sony's game/DLC/Add-on region lock logic

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

Richard93

93%
06 Rank
Progress
Richard93
Accepted Solution

Most games (99%) are region free. Meaning you can import them with no concerns. However, all PSN codes (inc DLC) are country-locked. Eg Titles from the UK will ONLY work with UK DLC codes. Also, UK DLC codes will only redeem from UK PSN accounts.

So to clarify, if you purchase a UK title, only UK DLC codes will work, and only a UK PSN can redeem the code.

If you purchase a title from the US, only US DLC codes will work, and only a US PSN account will be able to redeem the codes.

On PS3/ PS4, you can work around this. Once the content is downloaded to the console, all other users have access to the content. Should the game and DLC match (eg both from UK) all other users can play regardless of the PSN account set country.

You can create a new PSN account in a different country and use PSN cards to add funds to that account. 

However since the Vita has some serious issues with changing PSN user, you should avoid this. If you want to purchase DLC, make sure you can redeem it from your PSN account.

That is to say if you have a UK PSN account, only buy UK games. As you will be able to buy and use the DLC easily. If you don't want to purchase any DLC, you can buy freely.

[ Edited ]

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

wiledpack

25%
02 Rank
Progress
wiledpack
Accepted Solution

"If you purchase a title from the US, only US DLC codes will work, and only a US PSN account will be able to redeem the codes. " 

HI , just to be clear. If i buy a game from my us account, the DLC wont work on my other region account? even if i play the game on other region account.. 

thanks for your feedback tho:BigGrin:

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16
45%
02 Rank
Progress
RangaRedRascalPS
Accepted Solution

Im having the same issue. I guess the only workable way is to only buy games from the online store. That way your DLC will always match.

I am testing another theory I have...which basically means Ill be throwing a lot of money at it and might end up wasting all of it...

But heres the clincher...if you have a EU game and your Account is in the US...you bought DLC and it says "Waiting to Install"...

Buy the original game from the US store, let the DLC install. Now load back your EU disc and see if it picks up the DLC.

I know it most likely wont work but Im trying it anyway. Lets see what happens.

0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

XLuckyStarX

42%
02 Rank
Progress
XLuckyStarX
Accepted Solution

Dude did it work? because I am in the same boat but I don't want to waste the money on both copies if it doesnt actually work. =]

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

Forgermann

24%
02 Rank
Progress
Forgermann
Accepted Solution

I have similar problem.
I live in Poland and I have polish PSN Account. When i was on holydays in germany i bought Star Wars Force Unleashed 2 game. Now I'd like to play Endor DLC but neither PS Store nor ingame option of download dlc show options for downloading anything :/

Do you guys have any idea what to do?

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

wingman133

46%
02 Rank
Progress
wingman133
Accepted Solution

I don"t know guys, but I live in Bulgaria, have a French copy of AC: Revelations and yesterday downloaded all the DLC from the Hong Kong PSN Store for Free, and after some adjusting it works perfectly fine. What I did was create a Hong Kong PSN account, then from this account I went in-game and from Extras - Downloadable Content installed 3 DLCs and now they work on my Bulgarian account. :ScaredPumpkin:

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Beta Tester
/16

Nakatsu_Hime

• Beta Tester
95%
06 Rank
Progress
Nakatsu_Hime
Accepted Solution

@wingman133 wrote:

I don"t know guys, but I live in Bulgaria, have a French copy of AC: Revelations and yesterday downloaded all the DLC from the Hong Kong PSN Store for Free, and after some adjusting it works perfectly fine. What I did was create a Hong Kong PSN account, then from this account I went in-game and from Extras - Downloadable Content installed 3 DLCs and now they work on my Bulgarian account. :ScaredPumpkin:

Yes, this is certainly one way around it, but if you used an address that was not yours, then you instantly broke Sony's terms and conditions.

Practically, not an issue if everything ticks along nicely, but if you ever need to contact Sony about said HK account, then you may be royally stuffed.

0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

CZ_Martas-79

47%
02 Rank
Progress
CZ_Martas-79
Accepted Solution
Thank you I got it, but reading lot of posts everywhere with same problem "waiting to install" what shows they have also downloaded add-on with different region then the game is. I still insist on my opinion, this is easily technically solvable from sony's side, only allow to download add-on or dlc for games on ps4´s HDD what means if game on HDD the game's region can be checked during the purchase process from the psn store. It makes no sense to download aditional content, if Im not the owner of the game. By the way in my case, I downloaded the handguns shortcut for bf4, why this type of add-on needs to be region locked is uknown for me:-)
Sony please make your system noobs-proof, the company is coming from Asia, in Asia everything has to be simple and easy, if not, people will not like it.

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Beta Tester
/16

OrdosAlpha

• Beta Tester
98%
07 Rank
Progress
OrdosAlpha
Accepted Solution

It's up to YOU, the purchaser, to make sure the content you are buying is compatible. Not, the seller. If there's a compatibility issue post purchase, then the problem lies squarely at your door. No one elses. You aren't forced at gunpoint to buy imported games, you do so at your own volition.

0 Kudos

My PSN Profile

All blank friend requests will be refused.

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

CZ_Martas-79

47%
02 Rank
Progress
CZ_Martas-79
Accepted Solution

If I'm living in China there is no other way only to buy games from HongKong. I was living in dream with these free-region  games. I was never thinking about there will be the add-on's region lock on region free games. This makes not too much sense for me. Anyway rules are rules, now I know during may holyday in Czech I have to buy some games from my region and everething will be fine

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

coolguy_hero

29%
02 Rank
Progress
coolguy_hero
Accepted Solution

Actual it is not sony fault.sony said region free but the decision is on dvelopers.ea made this such kind of thing.

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

kubrosss

24%
02 Rank
Progress
kubrosss
Accepted Solution

hello , 

i have a same problem i have downloaded china rising and second assault but it still "waiting to instal "

is there any way to solve this problem ?

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

CZ_Martas-79

47%
02 Rank
Progress
CZ_Martas-79
Accepted Solution
To buy the basic game copy from as same region as the dlc, it means if you bought the dlc from hong kong online store then the basic game has to be from Hong Kong as well.
0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

Troubl

27%
02 Rank
Progress
Troubl
Accepted Solution

Hi folks,

My first post in here, but I am wondering on something regarding this issue.

I come from Norway and I currently live in Japan. I can read and speak Japanese just fine, but I am reluctant to buy westerb games in Japanese, because of lack of immersion it may have.

Games in Norway is very expensive though and most Norwegian websites does not ship to Japan. For as long as I can remember, I have bought games online from the UK. They have some very good sites shipping around the world for relatively cheap. I rarely buy DLC, but when I do, it is always the Norwegian part of the store I use, even with UK games. As far as I know, I have no problems using DLC from Norwegian store with UK games.

Which takes me to my question. Is DLC actually COUNTRY locked or REGION locked? Meaning, could I buy a game from any PAL region and still download and use DLC? Is it because Norway is such a small market that we perhaps share the same store as the UK only with price being showed in NOK instead of Pounds?

Because, whenever there is a sale on the UK store, the same sale is going on on the Norwegian store with basically the same pricing.

Appreciate some help on this.

Best,

Troubl

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

xGUEV

24%
02 Rank
Progress
xGUEV
Accepted Solution
I have a free add on I installed for call of duty ghosts, it keeps saying "waiting to install". Now I understand that region locked and stuff but can you clarify how I can work around this issue?
0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

Sonic_199192

80%
02 Rank
Progress
Sonic_199192
Accepted Solution
Cannot see the logic in this at all to be honest, just means I won't be buying any dlc for imported games as it won't work.

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Beta Tester
/16

Nakatsu_Hime

• Beta Tester
95%
06 Rank
Progress
Nakatsu_Hime
Accepted Solution

To be fair to Sony, it's usually not them who makes all this such an issue. The real barriers are licencing and differing cross-border content restrictions, which are totally out of Sony's control anyway.

View our house rules for posts
Post Reply Update Reply Cancel