• Award Winner
96%
15 Rank
Progress

What about this 1TB drive for the PS4

12 Replies 3,839 Views Created 16-11-2013
16 Nov 2013
By gavsta72

Has anyone used or heard of how well a Seagate 2.5" 1TB SSHD Solid State Hybrid Drive ST1000LM014 works ?? would it be suitable for a PS4 do you think ?? quicker load/boot times maybe ??

I stumbled across this drive at around $140 in my search for a 1TB drive for my PS4

Any thoughts much appreciated :)

0 Kudos
LABELS:
View our house rules for posts
Post Reply Update Reply Cancel

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

GAMERCODE7

22%
02 Rank
Progress
GAMERCODE7
Accepted Solution

I don't know specifically about that SSHD but I do have previous versions 500 and 750GB which worked fine in my ps3.  Overtime boot/load speeds increased, however I did have random boot failures which would cause the database repair screen to show.  

I'm holding out til I get a little more cash to upgrade the hard drive.  there is a 2TB out just not online according to this.  http://techreport.com/news/25623/samsung-spinpoint-m9t-is-world-thinnest-2tb-notebook-drive .  

At the massive size of games and the compression technology used, files needed to operate smoothly will take up a lot of space.  If I'm going to upgrade I'm going to do it once with the largest size available.  They also have a 1.5TB on the way if not out already...sounds as though it is out though according to the article just not online.  

PS+ free downloads used up most of my 1tb on ps3 down to about 240GB now.. 

Killzone alone uses about 290GB which they said was compressed to fit blu ray.  So patches are a concern to me or any downloads.  if the average game hits 40GB you can figure 10 games will fill up the hard drive considering OS system/ format uses 100GB almost.  In the case of a 2TB your likely to get around 40 games,  which is decent.  Hopefully compression methods/ OS installations and updates to it decrease the memory usage and improve overall speed and performance.  

0 Kudos

Re: What about this 1TB drive for the PS4

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Beta Tester
/16

crash987

• Beta Tester
96%
03 Rank
Progress
crash987
Accepted Solution

i would think it would work. if you look back at the blog that went up on the EU site it says what kind of hdd can work in it.

What type of hard drive does the PS4 system use?
The PS4 system is equipped with a 5400 RPM SATA II hard drive. Users can choose to install a new hard drive so long as it complies with these standards, is no thicker than 9.5mm, and is larger than 160GB.

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Award Winner
/16

gavsta72

• Award Winner
96%
15 Rank
Progress
gavsta72
Accepted Solution
Don't know if I'll risk it. I think I'll go a standard HDD cuz they're under $100 delivered, the question now it the Hitachi Travelstar or a Western Digital ?? The Hitachi has a 3 year warranty, the WD 2 years.
I've always used WD in my PS3's, the drives I've taken out of PS3's have mostly been Hitachi's.....Sony seems to like them
0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Award Winner
/16

gavsta72

• Award Winner
96%
15 Rank
Progress
gavsta72
Accepted Solution
After speaking to the guys at PC Meal in Sydney who I was going to buy it off (they also built my PC) I went ahead and purchased the Seagate SSHD. They said it works great with the PS3, with faster load, boot and game install times, of course they don't know how well it goes with the PS4, but like me, can't see why it wouldn't work fine

I think it will be a good choice for the PS4, so I'll see what happens :)
0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

nomet

94%
03 Rank
Progress
nomet
Accepted Solution
So some results of SSD vs traditional are in: http://au.ign.com/wikis/playstation-4/PlayStation_4_Hard_Drive_Speed_Test_Comparison

I can't personally justify spending an extra $500+ to get a 1TB SSD to save 10 seconds or so on load times.

I've gone with size over speed. I just ordered a 1.5TB hitachi drive from umart.com.au for $149 - much cheaper than the 1TB Seagate SSD for $600+ they were selling.
1 Kudo

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Award Winner
/16

gavsta72

• Award Winner
96%
15 Rank
Progress
gavsta72
Accepted Solution

Thanks for posting that link nomet, very interesting :)

As for the price, I looked at the SSD and thought no way, that's why I'm getting the 1TB SSHD @ $150, $60 more than a 1TB HDD

The overall results between the stock HDD, SSD and SSHD speak for themselves, as stated on that link

The results indicate that a hybrid SSHD drive can deliver many of the benefits of a traditional SSD but at a considerably lower cost. Although the SSD offered the best speeds in most cases, the SSHD only fell a few seconds shy of its scores, but both offer notably speed increases over the stock drive.

It's important to note that when it comes to disc-based game installs and boot-up times, all of the storage solutions are bottlenecked by the speed of the disc drive, whereas level loads and overall system boot-up time see significant gains from a SSD or SSHD. Games purchased through the PSN and stored entirely on local storage, like Resogun, see performance gains across the board.

In short, a SSHD hybrid drive provides the speed improvements of a traditional SSD, but greater affordability and total storage capacity.

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

nomet

94%
03 Rank
Progress
nomet
Accepted Solution
Good choice gavsta. When I bought the HD for my PS3 when it first launched, 320GB was pretty cutting edge and expensive, but I'm left having to constantly delete recordings in Play TV, delete unused free PS+ games and juggle my PS Vita digital back up of games constantly on my PS3 - something I don't want to have to do on my PS4. Hopefully 1TB should be enough and 1.5TB should keep me going for a few years.

Looks like you'll have a grand ol' time with that SSHD though.
0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Award Winner
/16

gavsta72

• Award Winner
96%
15 Rank
Progress
gavsta72
Accepted Solution

Yeah I reckon the SSHD will really compliment the PS4, plus it's got a 3 year warranty :Thumbs:

1TB will be enough, instead of deleting PSN games and using up my monthly interweb quota to re-download, it's just a matter of deleting and reinstalling game data as or if required

KZ Shadowfall for example, has an install of 39GB, so ??...........

I found this video on upgrading the drive, just as easy, if not easier than the PS3, also they stated that there is no difference really when loading disc based games from an SSD or SSHD, it's PSN games. Resogun took 20 secs to load from an HDD, while it took 10 secs from an SSD :)

0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

Aust1mh

96%
03 Rank
Progress
Aust1mh
Accepted Solution

I'll end up with the 1TB i think... i know PS4 games are massvie but i play them until finish and delete the install.

i'll do more research, IGN is looking for the best drive overall...

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Award Winner
/16

gavsta72

• Award Winner
96%
15 Rank
Progress
gavsta72
Accepted Solution

This is the IGN speed test comparison I refered to in an earlier post, I only just noticed that they used the same Seagate SSHD that I got....just arrived in the mail today actually. I was going to pop it in my PS3 and test it for myself, but I'll wait for my nice new PS4 to be here at home with me by about 1am 29/11 :)

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

nomet

94%
03 Rank
Progress
nomet
Accepted Solution
Good work Gavsta. I just got my 1.5 TB drive in the mail today too. Now to just play the waiting game.
0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Award Winner
/16

gavsta72

• Award Winner
96%
15 Rank
Progress
gavsta72
Accepted Solution
Yep, waiting, waiting, waiting, and more waiting :)
0 Kudos

View our house rules for posts
Post Reply Update Reply Cancel