View Original Post
12 Oct 2015
By mont348

mont348

• MVP
100%
16 Rank
Progress

[Guide] Upgrading The PS4's Hard Disk Drive/HDD.

[ Edited ]
187 Replies 37,174 Views edited 12-10-2015
12 Oct 2015
By mont348

Hi everyone here's a little guide on a step by step guide to upgrade your PS4's internal storage memory,any questions or anything you think I may of missed out please ask,myself or the community team or members will hopefully be able to answer them.

Step 1. What you will need is a replacement HDD which needs to be a 2.5" SATA PC/laptop drive no more than 9.5mm in thickness,with a recomended speed of 5400rpm although faster speeds will work some say they generate more heat and the system may cap the speed anyhow.

A set of screwdrivers I must stress that they fit the screws correctly otherwise you may end up stripping the screw heads.

And finally a USB storage device like a memory stick or external HDD for downloading the latest PS4 system firmware update.This needs to be in the FAT32 or exFAT file format,the majority of USB memory sticks available are usually in the FAT32 format.

IMG_20151012_112458.jpg

Step 2. Backup your valuable data particularly save data the options you have are as follows.

A.Full system backup with the PS4's backup utility to an external HDD again this needs to be in the FAT34 or exFAT file format.

B.Backup your save data to the PS4's online cloud storage available to all Playstation Plus subscribers,storage space shouldn't be a problem for most users as we have recently had a storage space increase to 10GB.

C.USB storage save data backup if you have multiple user account on your system I would advise a seperate USB stick for each user.If you are planning a full system backup mentioned in step A I would backup secondary user accounts save data to be on the safe side,some have mentioned a full system backup doesn't save secondary user save data.

D.If you haven't gone for the full system backup mentioned in A not to worry all your online purchase and PS+ content can be downloaded again from your library.

Step 3.Swapping out your HDD.

A.Fully shutdown your system and remove all cables,peripherals and game/movie disks and slide off the HDD cover.

IMG_20151012_112542.jpg

B.Locate and remove the Playstation screw.

IMG_20151012_112607.jpg

C.Slide the HDD out of it's location by pulling towards you.

IMG_20151012_112807.jpg

D.Locate the 4 black screws at the side of the HDD mounting and remove them.

IMG_20151012_113026.jpg

E.Swap the HDD over for your new larger capacity HDD.

IMG_20151012_113256.jpg

And now reverse the procedure for removing the HDD to put your system all back together again.

Step 4.Re-installing the PS4's system software.

Head over to the Offical Playstation website with this link Latest PS4 system software update with a PC/Laptop download the full system update file which will be around 800mb,scroll to the botton of the page for the full update the update further up is the smaller version for procedual updates and no use for HDD upgrading purposes.The update needs transfering to the USB stick/storage device mentioned in step 1.This needs saving in a two folder file format ie a folder inside a folder, this is a UPPERCASE sensitive folder so create a folder called PS4 and inside that folder create another called UPDATE this is where you transfer the pup.update file to.

Finally if all goes to plan start up your system and follow the on screen prompts to begin the software installation procedure and enjoy your PS4 with it's larger memory.

LABELS: My System
View our house rules for posts
Post Reply Update Reply Cancel

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
MVP
/16

mont348

• MVP
100%
16 Rank
Progress
mont348
Accepted Solution

@bibiffx wrote:

all hard drive is compatible or we have some material restriction ? ( other than 9.5mm max size) and i see on a forum we can't use more than 1.5T hdd it's right or i can use a 2T or more 

2TB is the current maximum that will fit inside the PS4 at the moment, who knows in future there maybe 9.5mm larger memory HDD's available.

Re: [Guide] Upgrading The PS4's Hard Disk Drive/HDD.

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

bibiffx

82%
02 Rank
Progress
bibiffx
Accepted Solution

so all 2Tb hardrive with 9.5mm is good ? anh it's better with a 7200 rpm or 5400 ?

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Award Winner
/16

gavsta72

• Award Winner
97%
15 Rank
Progress
gavsta72
Accepted Solution

@bibiffx wrote:

so all 2Tb hardrive with 9.5mm is good ? anh it's better with a 7200 rpm or 5400 ?

As the PS4 and PS3 were designed with a 5400rpm drive, I've always stuck to them. A 7200rpm drive does create more heat, it's only a couple of degrees, but still the less heat the better imo 

[ Edited ]

I'm so excited about the new boring sterile forums. Top stuff NOT

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

g1961b

80%
02 Rank
Progress
g1961b
Accepted Solution

Hi just got a new ps4 as the old one got broke while doing some painting. I had upgraded the hdd to 1tb on the old model. The file download was corrupt as well so had to re download it again. Went fine. Also be carefully with the screws as I had problems.

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

Smoggy894

49%
02 Rank
Progress
Smoggy894
Accepted Solution

So, yesterday I replaced our PS4 HDD with a 2TB Seagate drive. No problems with physical replacing, installed the OS perfectly, set up wi-fi and logged into PSN and started downloading games. Many hours later with 5 games installed I uploaded the save data for those 5 games from the cloud and left PS4 in rest mode downloading some apps and digital downloads overnight. Today after 3 more games had downloaded I tried to upload the cloud save data for those games and ALL our cloud data had simply disappeared from the cloud. 3 devastated kids, 1 devastated husband and a very annoyed and angry me. I've emailed Sony but don't think they'll be able to help, I've searched endlessly online for a solution and simply found many people who have had the same problem. Is there any solution to this at all? Will our save files reappear? Or do we have to simply soldier on and replay 16 games including 4 Lego games that had one save file of 100%?? Help!! 

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
MVP
/16

hgwells

• MVP
93%
09 Rank
Progress
hgwells
Accepted Solution

@Smoggy894

Did you setup the ps4 with the same User profile and psn id as when you first set it up?

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

fauxtronic

91%
05 Rank
Progress
fauxtronic
g1961b
Accepted Solution

@gavsta72

The HDD is pretty isolated from the rest of the components in the PS4 and the heat doesn't really transfer into the main unit.  Not that there's much difference (if any at all) if you choose the make/model wisely.  Some 7200rpm drives even run a bit cooler than smaller 5400rpm drives.

When I upgraded my PS4 last year, I chose Sony's preferred brand: HGST.

The 5400rpm drive on the left is the one I took out of my PS4.

The 7200rpm drive on the right is the one that's in my PS4 now.

fauxtronic-hdd.jpg

This model has been shown to install games and get past loading screens a bit quicker on the PS4, and it didn't seem to run hotter than the original HDD when I did some diagnostics with my PC (checking for faults, ensuring it was performing to specification, etc.) prior to installing it.

0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

Hiisenburg

22%
02 Rank
Progress
Hiisenburg
Accepted Solution

When i try reinstall the update file it comes up with an error message "Update file corrupt (SU-30645-8)" Why is this happening?

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Award Winner
/16

gavsta72

• Award Winner
97%
15 Rank
Progress
gavsta72
Accepted Solution

Because it's corrupted, this usually happens with very slow internet connections, and/or when it's downloaded using wifi with other things connected as it can lose data packets.

You need to delete it and download it again

0 Kudos

I'm so excited about the new boring sterile forums. Top stuff NOT

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

WasabiKingPrawn

92%
02 Rank
Progress
WasabiKingPrawn
Accepted Solution

Only the following type of hard disk drive (HDD) is officially supported with the PS4:

2.5 inch internal type (9.5mm or slimmer)*

Serial ATA (Parallel ATA is not supported)

*Proper operation is not guaranteed for all models.

Once you have bought your hard drive you will need to back up your data from the console. To back up your data please follow the instructions below:

Using a PC/Laptop format a USB storage device to FAT32.

On the PS4 console you can back up your data by navigating to: Settings > System >Back Up and Restore > Back Up PS4

You will receive a warning if you are not signed in to PlayStation Network or you have trophy data that has not been synced with PSN yet.

You should now see all back-up data available, an estimated file size and current free space on your USB storage device. You will also have the option to exclude backing up application data.

Once the back up has started you will now see a progress bar and this can be cancelled at anytime, once you have completed the back up you can now use the file to restore your system or restore to another system at a later date.

Next, you will need to replace the hard drive in your PlayStation. In order to do this please follow the instructions below:

1. Make sure the PS4 it turned completely off. When the power indicator is off, the system is completely off. If the power indicator is lit up in orange, the system is in standby mode. Exit standby mode.

2. Unplug the AC power cord, and then disconnect the other cables from the system.

3. For safety reasons, remove the plug for AC power cord from the electrical outlet, and then detach the other cables.

4. Slide the HDD bay cover in the direction of the arrow to remove it.

5. Remove the HDD. To do this, remove the screw that has the PlayStation symbols on it. Pull the HDD toward the front of the system to remove it.

6. Using a phillips screwdriver, remove the screws (four places). Do not remove the rubber inserts from the screw holes.

7. Place the replacement HDD on the mounting bracket for the PS4™ system's HDD, and then attach using the screws (four places).Do not over-tighten the screws.

8. Attach the HDD to the system using the screw. Be sure to fully insert the HDD in the HDD bay.

The next step is to reinstall the system software:

In order to install the PlayStation 4 system software please follow these steps:

Download the latest PS4 firmware here:

https://www.playstation.com/en-us/support/system-updates/ps4/

Select the option at the bottom of the page titled perform a new installation of the system software and follow the instructions to install it.

Once complete please go through the initial set up on your PlayStation 4.

The last stage is to restore your PlayStation 4:

To restore your PS4 system please follow the steps below:

1. Go to Settings > System > Back Up and Restore > Restore PS4

2. Select the back up file from the USB device

3. You will receive a warning message select Yes if want to continue.

4. You will see a progress bar, please note you can cancel at anytime however if you do cancel the process your PS4 will re-start as it would during initial setup and all data on the system will be lost.

5. Your PS4 will reboot when restoration has been completed.

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

fostermacation

93%
05 Rank
Progress
fostermacation
Accepted Solution

For me when I put mine in, I could only get it to work as PS4UPDATE and had to take off the .PUP when I click the file to download shown as PS4UPDATE.PUP! Below is the video I used when putting mine in.

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

Smoggy894

49%
02 Rank
Progress
Smoggy894
Accepted Solution
Yes all set up with exactly same id as before, we only have one PSPlus account so just used that. Annoyed I didn't back up to usb too but I assumed the cloud would work. Foolish me 😒
0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
MVP
/16

hgwells

• MVP
93%
09 Rank
Progress
hgwells
Accepted Solution

Have you got "auto-upload game save data" set to on? For all games?

Do you put your console into rest mode, or power off?

If in rest mode, what are your rest mode settings? 

0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

Smoggy894

49%
02 Rank
Progress
Smoggy894
Accepted Solution

@hgwells wrote:

Have you got "auto-upload game save data" set to on? For all games?

Do you put your console into rest mode, or power off?

If in rest mode, what are your rest mode settings? 

Yes it was set to 'on' for all games, I made sure of that before we upgraded. Rest mode settings were 'Stay Connected to the internet' checked but nothing else. All the saves were there on the cloud when we first installed the HDD. Following some tutorials I knew I couldn't download save files until the relevant games was reinstalled so as each game installed we downloaded relevant save file from cloud. That worked fine on the Saturday but on Sunday morning (after leaving system on all night downloading a large game file) when we went to download the next save file the rest had all disappeared. Sony's solution was 'phone our helpline (on what I assume is a premium rate number) to discuss your problem' Haven't done it yet as not sure how they can help. Very frustrating for me and upsetting for the kids, especially as they were so close to 100% on a fair few games. Only saving grace is that my 15 yr olds new Battlefront save file was one of the ones that downloaded! System os ordinarily turned off but wasn't during the 5 days it took to redownload all games and update files.  Do you have any suggestions hgwells? 

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
MVP
/16

hgwells

• MVP
93%
09 Rank
Progress
hgwells
Accepted Solution

Save files are linked to a user profile/psn id, which is why I asked if you had created the same combination when you installed the disk.

They can be manually uploaded to the cloud at any time you choose,  but are automatically uploaded when you shutdown to either power off, or rest mode, so as long as you don't just switch off at the wall...

The helpline number,  in the UK, is now a London number, so no premium rate nonsense. They're not open Sunday (that's outsourcing for you), so try the helpline through the week.

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

Bzubaca

52%
02 Rank
Progress
Bzubaca
Accepted Solution

Thank you for the tutorial!

I think I need to buy a new hard drive soon, cause I dont have much space left. I think I`ll buy a 1 TB hard drive.

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
MVP
/16

mont348

• MVP
100%
16 Rank
Progress
mont348
Accepted Solution

@Bzubaca wrote:

Thank you for the tutorial!

I think I need to buy a new hard drive soon, cause I dont have much space left. I think I`ll buy a 1 TB hard drive.

HDD capacity is all up to you when I upgraded mine I had around 100GB left but I knew it wouldn't last as it did with the PS3,upgraded the PS3 twice initially to 320GB then later to 1TB. I went straight from 500GB to 2TB with the PS4 I think 2TB is a better sound investment long-term, yes you can delete stuff but if you fancy playing something at the drop of a hat it's there ready to play rather than downloading/installing and updating again.

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

grenadehappy810

28%
02 Rank
Progress
grenadehappy810
Accepted Solution

So sorry if this isn't directly related to upgrading the drive, but this happened while I was uploading my save data to the cloud to get ready to upgrade my HD. So I uploaded all my save data to the cloud, and then started up Just Cause 3 to play it. All of a sudden, a new game started and my [revious game of 26 hours wasn't there. However, when I look into my system saved data, there's still 20 MB of Just Cause data on my HD. Anyone know what's going on?

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

ioriUK82

41%
02 Rank
Progress
ioriUK82
Accepted Solution

Hello. i have a big problem: i have 2 ps4. 1 is 500 gigas and the other is 1 tb. i tryed to swap the hard drives from one console to the other one. I found out that the 1 tb hd is a bit bigger then the 500 one. both hard drives did not fit on the cases and had to put then back. it is frustrated. 

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

Zorolord1980

91%
02 Rank
Progress
Zorolord1980
ioriUK82
Accepted Solution

Sorry are both your ps4's were productions models I.e.1 500GB and 1 is 1TB, so the 1TB enclosure is bigger then the 500GB model?

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

clemo1981

58%
03 Rank
Progress
clemo1981
Accepted Solution

I used this tutorial to upgrade my hdd to 2tb, back in November I had the dreaded install 3.11 update error that was checking my storage system, had to spend a week constantly re-initialising the system, deleting al data etc. I have been on this and many forums and many people who have suffered this have had new Hdd installed (Some had brand new consoles) please can someone confirm that this might be the case. I do have access to the old hard drive although it is currently in my PS3 with a full storage of games which i would prefer not to use to have the problem still persist

0 Kudos

View our house rules for posts
Post Reply Update Reply Cancel