View Original Post
12 Oct 2015
By mont348

mont348

• MVP
100%
16 Rank
Progress

[Guide] Upgrading The PS4's Hard Disk Drive/HDD.

[ Edited ]
187 Replies 37,043 Views edited 12-10-2015
12 Oct 2015
By mont348

Hi everyone here's a little guide on a step by step guide to upgrade your PS4's internal storage memory,any questions or anything you think I may of missed out please ask,myself or the community team or members will hopefully be able to answer them.

Step 1. What you will need is a replacement HDD which needs to be a 2.5" SATA PC/laptop drive no more than 9.5mm in thickness,with a recomended speed of 5400rpm although faster speeds will work some say they generate more heat and the system may cap the speed anyhow.

A set of screwdrivers I must stress that they fit the screws correctly otherwise you may end up stripping the screw heads.

And finally a USB storage device like a memory stick or external HDD for downloading the latest PS4 system firmware update.This needs to be in the FAT32 or exFAT file format,the majority of USB memory sticks available are usually in the FAT32 format.

IMG_20151012_112458.jpg

Step 2. Backup your valuable data particularly save data the options you have are as follows.

A.Full system backup with the PS4's backup utility to an external HDD again this needs to be in the FAT34 or exFAT file format.

B.Backup your save data to the PS4's online cloud storage available to all Playstation Plus subscribers,storage space shouldn't be a problem for most users as we have recently had a storage space increase to 10GB.

C.USB storage save data backup if you have multiple user account on your system I would advise a seperate USB stick for each user.If you are planning a full system backup mentioned in step A I would backup secondary user accounts save data to be on the safe side,some have mentioned a full system backup doesn't save secondary user save data.

D.If you haven't gone for the full system backup mentioned in A not to worry all your online purchase and PS+ content can be downloaded again from your library.

Step 3.Swapping out your HDD.

A.Fully shutdown your system and remove all cables,peripherals and game/movie disks and slide off the HDD cover.

IMG_20151012_112542.jpg

B.Locate and remove the Playstation screw.

IMG_20151012_112607.jpg

C.Slide the HDD out of it's location by pulling towards you.

IMG_20151012_112807.jpg

D.Locate the 4 black screws at the side of the HDD mounting and remove them.

IMG_20151012_113026.jpg

E.Swap the HDD over for your new larger capacity HDD.

IMG_20151012_113256.jpg

And now reverse the procedure for removing the HDD to put your system all back together again.

Step 4.Re-installing the PS4's system software.

Head over to the Offical Playstation website with this link Latest PS4 system software update with a PC/Laptop download the full system update file which will be around 800mb,scroll to the botton of the page for the full update the update further up is the smaller version for procedual updates and no use for HDD upgrading purposes.The update needs transfering to the USB stick/storage device mentioned in step 1.This needs saving in a two folder file format ie a folder inside a folder, this is a UPPERCASE sensitive folder so create a folder called PS4 and inside that folder create another called UPDATE this is where you transfer the pup.update file to.

Finally if all goes to plan start up your system and follow the on screen prompts to begin the software installation procedure and enjoy your PS4 with it's larger memory.

LABELS: My System
View our house rules for posts
Post Reply Update Reply Cancel

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

DewayneJ2

28%
02 Rank
Progress
DewayneJ2
Accepted Solution

Can anyone help me?? Im trying to upgrade my harddrive to a 2TB HDD but I cant back up my PS4 to it. Ive tried the 2TB and i have a 1TB HD that ive tried as well. Formatted them both as MS-DOS(FAT) and ExFAT to compare but none of it has worked. Thats 4 different ways and im stumped. and sad. it always says theres on space on the drive.. Im doing it this way because I want to keep PT.

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
MVP
/16

hgwells

• MVP
93%
09 Rank
Progress
hgwells
DewayneJ2
Accepted Solution

Any error messages?

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Award Winner
/16

Kermit1970

• Award Winner
100%
16 Rank
Progress
Kermit1970
DewayneJ2
Accepted Solution

FAT32 is the format it needs to be search for FAT32FORMAT. It takes seconds to format a hard drive

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

crazydaveyboy

21%
02 Rank
Progress
crazydaveyboy
Accepted Solution

this might be 'the stupidest question ever asked on this forum' but here goes.... i want to upgrade my hard disk. why can't i simply 1) remove the existing hard drive from the ps4 unit, 2) plug it in via usb to my desktop, 3) create a folder on a hard drive titled 'ps4', 4) copy the old hard drive to that folder, 5) plug the new hard drive via usb into my desktop, 6) clone that folder to my new hard drive, 7) install the new hard drive 8) enjoy my new hard drive?

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
MVP
/16

mont348

• MVP
100%
16 Rank
Progress
mont348
crazydaveyboy
Accepted Solution

Security is the main reason you cannot do this,same goes for the likelihood of external HDD support for game storage.If you were allowed to backup on a computer it wouldn't be long before someone found a way to distribute their games.

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

jahliveth

74%
02 Rank
Progress
jahliveth
Accepted Solution

Thankyou so much for your amazing help 

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

Smithyy1987

82%
02 Rank
Progress
Smithyy1987
Accepted Solution

This is a really useful tutorial mont348,

i upgraded my ps3 and it was nice and easy and looking at your in depth tutorial it appears to be just as easy for the ps4.

i need to seriously find a decend hd to use as the old hitachi one i got on the cheap was nothing but a pain and slow.

0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
MVP
/16

mont348

• MVP
100%
16 Rank
Progress
mont348
Smithyy1987
Accepted Solution

I use the Samsung M9T 1TB in my PS3 and the 2TB version in the PS4,both have been working fine.There has been some known issues with the Hitachi Traveslar range with the PS3 Superslim causing lagging issues,so it would be best to avoid that brand to be honest.

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

Smithyy1987

82%
02 Rank
Progress
Smithyy1987
mont348
Accepted Solution

I was recommended samsung by a fellow work colleague so its nice to see his claims being confirmed.

thanks for the fedback mont348 

0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
MVP
/16

mont348

• MVP
100%
16 Rank
Progress
mont348
Smithyy1987
Accepted Solution

The Samsung has been a popular choice with forum regulars and visitors for a while since when many started started upgrading their PS3 HDD's.

The Samsung 1TB M9T that's in my PS3 12GB Superslim was originally installed in my 40GB Phat PS3,still going strong after 4 years of use.

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

Tanudjaja1

24%
02 Rank
Progress
Tanudjaja1
Accepted Solution

Help! i have already changed my hardrive and dowloaded the ps4 3.50 update. i pluged my usb in the ps4 but it cannot update. i have alredy formated my usb to 32Fat but it does not work, it is giving me an error code CE-34788-0. HELP PLZ  

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
MVP
/16

mont348

• MVP
100%
16 Rank
Progress
mont348
Tanudjaja1
Accepted Solution

Have you downloaded the full installation file required for when performing an upgrade of the HDD?

This file is over 800mb and found at the bottom of the page if you expand the tab for Perform a new installation of the system software.

Screenshot_2016-04-12-20-30-01-190.jpeg

0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

TWISTA-94

23%
02 Rank
Progress
TWISTA-94
Accepted Solution

I have recently upgraded my PS4s Hard Drive and everything is working fine except I heep getting a notification with anything I use on it, Netflix, Games, etc. Stating that the application is not supported and will close in 15 minutes but the application never closes and I get the notification every few minutes. Is there any way to fix this? 

0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

retro77king

80%
02 Rank
Progress
retro77king
Accepted Solution

if i do a full system backup to an external 2tb hard drive can i then put the 2tb hard drive in the ps4 and will all my data be ready to use or will it format it

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
MVP
/16

mont348

• MVP
100%
16 Rank
Progress
mont348
retro77king
Accepted Solution

That won't work as soon as the HDD with the backup is installed in the PS4 it will be formatted, this is to prevent piracy otherwise people would be selling HDD's full of games on EBay etc.

A second HDD would be necessary one for backup and one for installing in the PS4. What I did was backup my important save data on USB stick and PS+ cloud storage and then reinstalled and re-download my content rather than a full system backup.

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
MVP
/16

Oran_Gina

• MVP
100%
16 Rank
Progress
Oran_Gina
retro77king
Accepted Solution

It will format it.

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

retro77king

80%
02 Rank
Progress
retro77king
mont348
Accepted Solution

Thank you very much for your help.

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

GazzaGSi

87%
04 Rank
Progress
GazzaGSi
Accepted Solution

Hi all,

I have 2 PS4's (upstairs & downstairs with being disappointed with remote play), a launch model and a newer model with the matte panel and physical power/eject buttons.

I upgraded my launch model with a 2TB HDD before getting the 2nd PS4.

I am now wanting the 2TB HDD in the newer console.

Is there any slim chance I can just put the 2TB HDD in the new console without having to go through the backup/restore process? As in take out the 2TB HDD, put it in the newer console and switch it on?

Reason I ask is I don't have a big enough external drive to backup all the data so looking for the easiest option without a back up drive nor having to re-download alot of the games.

Oh, and the reason for wanting that drive in the newer console is I will be selling the launch console if the Neo/PS4.5 or whatever comes out and the newer console is still under warranty so makes sense to keep that one.

Thanks

(I'ts been that long ago since I upgraded the HDD I can not remember if as soon I put the HDD in the PS4 will format it no matter what data is on it, I was hoping with both consoles being linked to my ID it may recongnise all the data somehow and let me run with it).

0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
MVP
/16

Oran_Gina

• MVP
100%
16 Rank
Progress
Oran_Gina
Accepted Solution

If you put the hdd in another PS4 it will format it.

You can't move it with the data intact from one machine to another.

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

GazzaGSi

87%
04 Rank
Progress
GazzaGSi
Accepted Solution

@Oran_Gina thanks for clarifying. Will save the task for a rainy day! At least I can delete some data that I've got that has the thought of 'maybe I'll play it again 1 day' that I haven't played in months :-)

Re: [Guide] Upgrading The PS4's Hard Disk Drive/HDD.

[ Edited ]

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

GazzaGSi

87%
04 Rank
Progress
GazzaGSi
Accepted Solution
Is the option on PS4 like it was PS3 where you could link 2 consoles via ethernet cable and transfer the data from 1 console to the other?
0 Kudos

Re: [Guide] Upgrading The PS4's Hard Disk Drive/HDD.

View our house rules for posts
Post Reply Update Reply Cancel