View Original Post
12 Oct 2015
By mont348

mont348

• MVP
100%
16 Rank
Progress

[Guide] Upgrading The PS4's Hard Disk Drive/HDD.

[ Edited ]
187 Replies 37,185 Views edited 12-10-2015
12 Oct 2015
By mont348

Hi everyone here's a little guide on a step by step guide to upgrade your PS4's internal storage memory,any questions or anything you think I may of missed out please ask,myself or the community team or members will hopefully be able to answer them.

Step 1. What you will need is a replacement HDD which needs to be a 2.5" SATA PC/laptop drive no more than 9.5mm in thickness,with a recomended speed of 5400rpm although faster speeds will work some say they generate more heat and the system may cap the speed anyhow.

A set of screwdrivers I must stress that they fit the screws correctly otherwise you may end up stripping the screw heads.

And finally a USB storage device like a memory stick or external HDD for downloading the latest PS4 system firmware update.This needs to be in the FAT32 or exFAT file format,the majority of USB memory sticks available are usually in the FAT32 format.

IMG_20151012_112458.jpg

Step 2. Backup your valuable data particularly save data the options you have are as follows.

A.Full system backup with the PS4's backup utility to an external HDD again this needs to be in the FAT34 or exFAT file format.

B.Backup your save data to the PS4's online cloud storage available to all Playstation Plus subscribers,storage space shouldn't be a problem for most users as we have recently had a storage space increase to 10GB.

C.USB storage save data backup if you have multiple user account on your system I would advise a seperate USB stick for each user.If you are planning a full system backup mentioned in step A I would backup secondary user accounts save data to be on the safe side,some have mentioned a full system backup doesn't save secondary user save data.

D.If you haven't gone for the full system backup mentioned in A not to worry all your online purchase and PS+ content can be downloaded again from your library.

Step 3.Swapping out your HDD.

A.Fully shutdown your system and remove all cables,peripherals and game/movie disks and slide off the HDD cover.

IMG_20151012_112542.jpg

B.Locate and remove the Playstation screw.

IMG_20151012_112607.jpg

C.Slide the HDD out of it's location by pulling towards you.

IMG_20151012_112807.jpg

D.Locate the 4 black screws at the side of the HDD mounting and remove them.

IMG_20151012_113026.jpg

E.Swap the HDD over for your new larger capacity HDD.

IMG_20151012_113256.jpg

And now reverse the procedure for removing the HDD to put your system all back together again.

Step 4.Re-installing the PS4's system software.

Head over to the Offical Playstation website with this link Latest PS4 system software update with a PC/Laptop download the full system update file which will be around 800mb,scroll to the botton of the page for the full update the update further up is the smaller version for procedual updates and no use for HDD upgrading purposes.The update needs transfering to the USB stick/storage device mentioned in step 1.This needs saving in a two folder file format ie a folder inside a folder, this is a UPPERCASE sensitive folder so create a folder called PS4 and inside that folder create another called UPDATE this is where you transfer the pup.update file to.

Finally if all goes to plan start up your system and follow the on screen prompts to begin the software installation procedure and enjoy your PS4 with it's larger memory.

LABELS: My System
View our house rules for posts
Post Reply Update Reply Cancel

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

Scavenger_XpP2

37%
02 Rank
Progress
Scavenger_XpP2
Accepted Solution

When im about to back up all my saving to an external harddrive, its says that it will be 0KB space left and that there is not enough space, its a 2tb HDD and im pretty damn sure that it is empty...does anyone knows the problem?

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
MVP
/16

hgwells

• MVP
93%
09 Rank
Progress
hgwells
Scavenger_XpP2
Accepted Solution

How is the external hdd formatted?

On what machine (pc or Mac)?

How many partitions does it have?

0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

Scavenger_XpP2

37%
02 Rank
Progress
Scavenger_XpP2
hgwells
Accepted Solution

Its exFAT, No partitions(what is that btw?) and its on ps4

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
MVP
/16

hgwells

• MVP
93%
09 Rank
Progress
hgwells
Scavenger_XpP2
Accepted Solution

A partition is a method of splitting a large disk into 2 or more smaller chunks. Depending on how and on what machine, a disk is formatted,  a small partition can be created. That's why I asked what machine the disk was formatted on.

The ps4 can only use the first partition on a hdd, so that could be why it is showing zero space.

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

Scavenger_XpP2

37%
02 Rank
Progress
Scavenger_XpP2
Accepted Solution

Can it no partitions? Can i change it?

0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
MVP
/16

hgwells

• MVP
93%
09 Rank
Progress
hgwells
Scavenger_XpP2
Accepted Solution

Connect the hdd to the machine you formatted it on, and check it's properties. 

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

Scavenger_XpP2

37%
02 Rank
Progress
Scavenger_XpP2
Accepted Solution

Okay, thanks! I tell you how it goes

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

LOLZMONSTER_360

23%
02 Rank
Progress
LOLZMONSTER_360
Accepted Solution

do you have a link to places that sell HDD 

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
MVP
/16

mont348

• MVP
100%
16 Rank
Progress
mont348
LOLZMONSTER_360
Accepted Solution

Just Google PS4 compatible HDD's.

I purchased mine from Amazon so that would be a good place to start.

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

Scavenger_XpP2

37%
02 Rank
Progress
Scavenger_XpP2
Accepted Solution

When i put in the USB flash drive with the update, it says that it cant use that update file. someone know the problem?

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
MVP
/16

mont348

• MVP
100%
16 Rank
Progress
mont348
Scavenger_XpP2
Accepted Solution

Probably have downloaded the wrong update file you need the larger re-installation update file which is around 900mb, this file is found further down the web page under "Perform a New Installation of the System Software".

https://www.playstation.com/en-us/support/system-updates/ps4/

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

Scavenger_XpP2

37%
02 Rank
Progress
Scavenger_XpP2
mont348
Accepted Solution

Oh it worked! thank you for the support!:)

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16
26%
02 Rank
Progress
zombie-penguin69
Accepted Solution

Guys, I just got a new 1TB HDD for my PS4 as my standard 500GB HDD kept fulling up too quickly, I have a couple downloaded games on the old one though that I don''t want to have to download again onto the new one cause they're pretty big and I don't think my ISP will be happy with me downloading so much. Is it advisable to alternate between two HDDs? I'm a little worried that I might damage something if I'm constantly swapping them? I have don't have an external drive to back it up to but I do have my brother's PS4, could I put the new HDD into his, send all the data over from mine and the old HDD using the new update feature that lets you do that and then put the new HDD back into my PS4 ? Any ideas would be appreciated! 

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
MVP
/16

Oran_Gina

• MVP
100%
16 Rank
Progress
Oran_Gina
Accepted Solution

Putting your old hard drive in your brothers PS4 will wipe it. Putting the new one in will result in his hdd being wiped when he puts it back in.

Putting the new drive in yours then putting your old one back in will wipe it.

Backing up to external or re downloading are your only realistic options I'm afraid.

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

joshburgess2002

23%
02 Rank
Progress
joshburgess2002
Accepted Solution

hi i might be in the wrong chat but my mum brought me a brand new ps4 christmas day which was the best present ever!!! we set it up and made a brand new email account for the ps4 and my ***** added the psn plus thing so we did all that verified the account then it asked to sign i again and then is send its banned pr either suspended? could you help me with this please as no one else will tell me and this ban this is none of our faults even tho its a brand new console. many thanks please reply:)

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

GaryFancy

49%
02 Rank
Progress
GaryFancy
joshburgess2002
Accepted Solution

Seeing that the original thread has nothing to do with banned accounts, this is not the right place. With that being said, check out the link below or contact Sony directly. There are a bunch of reasons why your account my be blocked.

Banned Account Info 

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

Bawkins1212

71%
02 Rank
Progress
Bawkins1212
Accepted Solution

Can someone help me. Twice now ive done this process with 2 different hard drives and each time when I go to load up games after switching out the hard drive i get and error message saying Cannot continue using application as it thinks the disk if damaged or dirty. Ive tried multiple fixes such as reinstalling the system software onto the new hard drive and placing the console into rest mode then rebooting but nothing seems to work. Is there anything anyone knows i can do in this situation?

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

BradleyS95

70%
02 Rank
Progress
BradleyS95
Accepted Solution

omg I'm having the exact same problem. Since I upgraded my HD with a 2TB one, some of my disks won't read so I can't play? My digital games work fine but the disks won't. I even switched the HD back and the disks run perfectly well?? *****? I paid over £100 for this HD and I can't use it. 

Re: [Guide] Upgrading The PS4's Hard Disk Drive/HDD.

[ Edited ]

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

Bawkins1212

71%
02 Rank
Progress
Bawkins1212
BradleyS95
Accepted Solution

Exact same thing for me with the digital downloads working fine. I've seen a lot of people with this problem but there's never a fix that works for everyone 

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

BradleyS95

70%
02 Rank
Progress
BradleyS95
Bawkins1212
Accepted Solution

Well I'm glad it's not just me, I hope we can both get this fixed. If it can't be fixed in the next couple of days I'm going to have to send the Hard Drive back. But then I don't know how to get more space as 500GB isn't enough! I'm not buying another PS4  

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

Bawkins1212

71%
02 Rank
Progress
Bawkins1212
BradleyS95
Accepted Solution

I know I want to get this fixed soon as if I'm gonna return it it needs to be by the end of the month. Can anybody help us or is experiencing the same issue ?

0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
View our house rules for posts
Post Reply Update Reply Cancel