16 Rank
Progress

[Infomation] PS4 External HDD Support.

[ Edited ]
227 Replies 92,845 Views edited 10-03-2017
09 Mar 2017
By mont348

PS4: External HDD Support

If your PS4 doesn’t have enough HDD space to install a game, you can use an Extended Storage Device to add more storage.

You can download games and add-ons from PlayStation℠Store directly to the extended storage and move games from your PlayStation®4 system’s storage to your HDD.

What you need to get started

When you format a storage device for use as extended storage, you can use it to install your applications. You can also move applications from PS4™ system storage to extended storage.

1. PS4™ System
  • The PS4™ system must have system software version 4.50 or later.
  1. External Hard Disk Drive*
  • USB 3.0 or later
  • 250 GB minimum, 8 TB maximum capacity

*Proper operation is not guaranteed for all external hard disc drive models.

What you can store on the formatted extended storage device

• You can only install applications and add-ons on extended storage.
  • You can download add-ons to extended storage, even if the related application is installed in system storage.
  • Updates are downloaded to where their corresponding applications are installed.
  • You cannot save application saved data, themes or screenshot/video clips to extended storage.

Where to find applications on the extended storage device

• Applications installed on extended storage appear in the content area as normal.
  • Applications installed on extended storage do not disappear from the content area when you disconnect the extended storage device.
  • An error message will appear if you start an application installed on extended storage when the extended storage device is disconnected.

Important Connection Information

• You can only use one device for extended storage at a time. Even if you have connected two devices that are formatted for use as extended storage, only one can be active as extended storage.
  • You can connect a second HDD for use with Media player, but you can’t connect two HDDs for Games, apps and add-ons.
  • Connection via a USB hub is not supported. You’ll need to connect the extended storage device directly to your PS4™ system.
  • Make sure you do not disconnect during the shutdown process or when putting the PS4™ into rest mode.

How to format the HDD as extended storage

1. Go to [Settings] > [Devices] > [USB Storage Devices].
  2. Select the USB storage device to format and choose [Format as Extended Storage].

How to change the Application Install Location

To change the install location of your applications, you need to choose where you would like to save them. You cannot change the application install location during a download.

1. Select [Settings] > [Storage], and then press the OPTIONS button.
  2. Select [Application Install Location] > [Extended Storage].

1. Applications will now be set to install on extended storage.

How to Move Applications

You can move saved applications between the PS4™ system storage and extended storage.

Reminders: If an application is found both in system storage and on extended storage, you’ll need to delete it from either system storage or extended storage to use the extended storage device. You can install add-ons on extended storage, even if the related application is installed in system storage.

1. Select [Settings] > [Storage].
  2. Select the storage where the application you want to move is located, and then select [Applications].
  3. Press the OPTIONS button and select [Move to Extended Storage] -or- [Move to System Storage]. 
  4. Add ticks to the applications you wish to move and select [Move].

How to Disconnect Extended Storage

When you want to disconnect an extended storage device while your PS4™ system is on, use one of the following methods to ensure the safe removal of the device.

Reminder: If you disconnect the extended storage device without using the steps below, when you reconnect the storage device it may cause corruption or loss of data.

1. Select [Sound/Devices] > [Stop Using Extended Storage] on the quick menu.

1. Select the extended storage device to disconnect in [Settings] > [Devices] > [USB Storage Devices], and then select [Stop Using This Extended Storage].

Having Problems?

I experience Wi-Fi and/or Bluetooth connection issues when the External Storage device is connected to my PS4™.

We recommend placing the extended storage device further away from the PS4 if you experience connection issues.

I see an error “The data transfer speed of this device might not be fast enough to use it as extended storage. Are you sure you want to format this device?”

If you receive this error, we recommend using a different extended storage device.

I see an error “The following applications are available both in extended storage and system storage. To use the extended storage, you will need to delete one of the applications.”

If the same game is installed on both extended storage and system storage, one of them needs to be removed in order to use the HDD.

I get a message saying my extended storage needs to be repaired? 

This may happen if the device was removed incorrectly. When disconnecting extended storage make sure you use the proper methods.

Error codes

• CE-41901-5: 
    Use a USB External Storage Device that fulfils the following requirements:
    - 250 GB minimum, 8 TB maximum capacity

• CE-41902-6:
    Use a USB External Storage Device that fulfils the following requirements:
    - USB 3.0 or later
    - If your HDD is definitely USB 3.0, connecting it too slowly might cause this error message. Connect the USB External Device quickly and firmly, but carefully.

• CE-41899-1:
    Connect the USB External Storage Device directly to the PS4.

• CE-30002-5:
    Try to format the HDD again.
  • CE-30022-7:
    1. Format the HDD again.
    2. If the error persists, restart PS$ and then try formatting.

• CE-30006-9:
    Reconnect the HDD and repair file system following instructions.
    1. Format the HDD again.
    2. If the error persists, you may need to use a different HDD.
View our house rules for posts
Post Reply Update Reply Cancel

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

Survivor_me

88%
05 Rank
Progress
Survivor_me
mont348
Accepted Solution

Oh..  :(

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

Wesleywaka9

22%
02 Rank
Progress
Wesleywaka9
Accepted Solution

Why does my external hdd make my playstation slowdown 

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
MVP
/16

hgwells

• MVP
93%
09 Rank
Progress
hgwells
Wesleywaka9
Accepted Solution

You're going to have to provide more information if you want help.

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

Wesley23W

20%
02 Rank
Progress
Wesley23W
Accepted Solution

How do I play online in PS 4 without a PS plus

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16
23%
02 Rank
Progress
TheLoneMaverick1
Accepted Solution

I bought a 2TB Seagate Hard Drive because I was running out of space. 

I formatted it and everything and it was working, so I installed Spider Man. I put the PS4 on rest mode thinking that the installation would be done when I turned it back on. So when I turned it back on, it froze so I hit the power button and it's not shutting off and in fact it is still freezing. 

What do I do in this situation because I don't want to unplug it.

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
MVP
/16

mont348

• MVP
100%
16 Rank
Progress
mont348
TheLoneMaverick1
Accepted Solution

Long press and hold the power button until the system shuts down safely.

I would suggest that you rebuild the PS4's database option 5 via the safe mode menu. 

https://www.playstation.com/en-gb/get-help/help-library/system---hardware/power---system-stability/s...

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16
27%
02 Rank
Progress
ising2myguitar42
Accepted Solution

I need help im getting an error message ce-37856-9

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16
27%
02 Rank
Progress
ising2myguitar42
Accepted Solution

Im getting a error message ce-37856-9

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16
27%
02 Rank
Progress
ising2myguitar42
Accepted Solution

Can anyone help?

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

Nightshayde44

26%
02 Rank
Progress
Nightshayde44
Accepted Solution

0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

Farnewpad

23%
02 Rank
Progress
Farnewpad
Accepted Solution

Hi, yesterday I bought an external hard drive (WD elements portable 750gb) and before connect it to my ps4, I formatted it as exFAT using my pc. When I try to format the drive in order to use it as an external storage, an error occurs ( CE-30005-8). There is also one more thing...everytime I connect the external hard drive to my ps4 a notification appears and it says "the file system of the drive is not supported". I also tried to use fat32 but it does not work... sorry for my english but there is no solution online.

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

vladtepes667

24%
02 Rank
Progress
vladtepes667
Accepted Solution

Does someone has any other suggestions?

I have a seagate HDD that has been formatted and I've used for a few months now. Last month and a half PS4 started playing games with my emotions saying that it needs to be reformatted, then cannot be used, and some other error (this is HDD #2 since the first one kept asking to be reformatted), out of nowhere the PS4 read it just fine and I could continue to use it. Last week we started we the "This device cannot be used. Try disconnecting it and then connecting it again". I kept hoping it would fix itself like it did last time but it hasn't. I was hoping the 6.2 version would fix it but it did not. I have disconnected it, reconnected, used a different port, unplugged both HDD and PS4. Cannot even reformat it because the PS4 cant read it and I cant use it on my computer because it is still formatted for PS4. 

Anyone knows how to fix it?

Thank you

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

RottyHusky

28%
02 Rank
Progress
RottyHusky
Accepted Solution

I'm having big problems with my Seagate external for games storage, I've been using it for months and removing it safely all the time but unfortunately earlier yesterday afternoon I turned on my Ps4 slim and plugged it in and unfortunately it came up with the "Did not remove the device safely" and to repair it which I didn't understand because I seen the "Device has safely been disconnected and you can now remove it from the USB port" which I did and wrapped it up to prevent any dust getting into it. I tried repairing it repeatly and it kept bringing CE 3005-8 error up and wouldn't repair at all so I took the risk changing the format which removed every app and content I had on there, once that I tried formatting it back to the console connection format but it just keeps giving the same error code. Do you possibly have any solutions that could help get it back to console format use as external storage? All is appreciated :) 

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

LEgiT__MEnACe29

23%
02 Rank
Progress
LEgiT__MEnACe29
Accepted Solution

I have a 2tb seagate game drive made for the ps4 but when I connect the drive to my ps4, an error pops up saying the file system is unsupported.

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

Gud_aka_Sammy

23%
02 Rank
Progress
Gud_aka_Sammy
Accepted Solution

Will they add support for a 20tb usb 3 disk ? anyone knows ?

didnt read they only support 8tb. had a 6tb before but got full.

bought a 20tb wd duo that i cant use now.

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

Heman123123

37%
02 Rank
Progress
Heman123123
Accepted Solution

Yahoo support number 1855 332 0777

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

BCFCjust

26%
02 Rank
Progress
BCFCjust
Accepted Solution

Hi all I’m currently struggling with a seagate 2TB USB 3.0 . When I go to the USB Device menu the hardive is there but when I try to format for extended storage I get the error code 

CE-41902-6 and the requirements required ‘even though the drive meets those requirements’??? I’ve scrolled through various forums and even tried the tape on the two middle pins , so any help would be appreciated . 👍🏻

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

mrvicious1nb

23%
02 Rank
Progress
mrvicious1nb
Accepted Solution

my PS4 stopped recognizing my 4 TB Seagate external storage nothing I do works 

(CE-36329-3) report problem 

It has cause controllers to not respond and go out of control during game play , it keeps messaging that no microphone is usable and tries to connect head set that's not even plugged in and now it won/t load a game that's on the system hdd  what do I have to do to play my games ?

0 Kudos

View our house rules for posts
Post Reply Update Reply Cancel