AKDragon

54%
02 Rank
Progress

PS4 Pro 4K 30hz Over HDMI 1.4?

6 Replies 1,620 Views Created 16-04-2018
16 Apr 2018
By AKDragon

I've pre-ordered the GOW special edition PS4 Pro to be able to play GOW at 4K on my Acer Predator XB321HK monitor. I only just found out that I will not be able to do this using HDMI 1.4. As GOW pretty much maintains 30fps I thought I would just be able to set the PS4 Pro to 4K 30Hz, but it seems that since some firmware update has removed this option from the PS4 Pro. There are a few threads saying Sony would resolve this issue in a future patch but I have not seen anything confirming this, Why?

Is there a workaround that does not require me spending another £100-200 for a super rare HDMI 2.0 to Display Port 1.2 converter? 

View our house rules for posts
Post Reply Update Reply Cancel

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
MVP
/16

Oran_Gina

• MVP
100%
16 Rank
Progress
Oran_Gina
Accepted Solution

That's a fault of the monitor though surely?

It doesn't have a 2.0 port, just 1.4.

That's what is restricting you to hdmi 1.4, not the PS4.

Reviews of the monitor all pick up on this...

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

AKDragon

54%
02 Rank
Progress
AKDragon
Oran_Gina
Accepted Solution

Having an HDMI 1.4 port is classified as a fault? Sure it's not desirable but it's not a fault.

If the PS4 at one time could output at 4K30hz then why is it not possible now?

My PC can output at 4K 30hz over HDMI 1.4.....

I bought the monitor for PC gaming the Display Port 1.2 has no problems at 4K60hz.

0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Award Winner
/16

gavsta72

• Award Winner
99%
14 Rank
Progress
gavsta72
Accepted Solution

HDMI 1.4 means no HDR

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

AKDragon

54%
02 Rank
Progress
AKDragon
gavsta72
Accepted Solution

I am aware my monitor is not HDR capable. I just wanted the ability to set the output resolution to 4K 30Hz. 

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

AccoSk8

34%
02 Rank
Progress
AccoSk8
Accepted Solution

I have the same issue with my Asus ROG SWIFT PG27AQ monitor ( https://www.asus.com/us/ROG-Republic-Of-Gamers/ROG-SWIFT-PG27AQ/ ). The monitor has hdmi 1.4 and a display port 1.2 and as well as AKDragon the monitor isn't HDR capable, so I should be able to set the resolution to 4k@30hz (as I can do that with the display port)

Why aren't we able to achieve such resolution? I am using a hdmi 2.0 cable obviously.

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

AKDragon

54%
02 Rank
Progress
AKDragon
AccoSk8
Accepted Solution

Yeah I mean at this point there is no reason why Sony would not allow 4K30hz over HDMI 1.4, other than to force the end user to purchase a 4K TV with an HDMI 2.0 input. Which imo is pretty anti-consumer. As stated above no issues with 4K30hz from my PC over HDMI 1.4, its the PS4Pro omitting this output. Why don't Sony offer a HDMI 2.0 to DP 1.2 converter/adaptor? Why don't they support 1440p output? It's 2018... 

Regardless not bothered at this point as I mainly wanted a solution for God of War. After playing in both "Resolution mode" and "Performance mode" Being primarily a PC gamer I found the 30fps unbearable and almost unplayable, the framerate boost running the game in Performance mode is night and day, wayy smoother and responsive; just a shame the hardware limitations of the PS4Pro only allows 1080p 45fps (avg). I can only dream of what God of War would have looked and played like on PC 1440p/1800p/2160p@60fps.

That being said even at 1080p GOW is the best game I've played in a long time.

0 Kudos

View our house rules for posts
Post Reply Update Reply Cancel