DAT_JB

69%
02 Rank
Progress

Update files copying

210 Replies 309,702 Views Created 22-09-2017
22 Sep 2017
By DAT_JB

Why is the PS4 copying game updates after they got downloaded?

This is has to be something new which came with the latest update. For me the copying takes longer than the download itself.

Does anybody know why the PS4 is doing this now ?

LABELS: firmware
View our house rules for posts
Post Reply Update Reply Cancel

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

EquitumIV

23%
02 Rank
Progress
EquitumIV
Accepted Solution

Basically, now that you've downloaded the patches. It takes the original then copies the patches into the main fame data fixing the bugs and errors. It makes the actually download of the update faster and uses less bandwidth on sony's end. However you end up this hours of copying. The only way to improve the speed of the copying is by upgrading your internal drives. But the bigger the game or more patches it has to implement the longer it takes. Hope this helps.

0 Kudos

Update files copying

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16
27%
02 Rank
Progress
XxbossmandavidxX
Accepted Solution

Same thing happens to me and it’s quite irritating because it just wastes more time, also does anyone know how to prevent ddos attacks. It has happened twice to me already.

0 Kudos

Update files copying

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

j_c_d_0929

26%
02 Rank
Progress
j_c_d_0929
Accepted Solution

Yeah it doesn’t make sense 

0 Kudos

Update files copying

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

Nine-Eight-Nine

89%
05 Rank
Progress
Nine-Eight-Nine
Accepted Solution

Well they've really messed up ESO updates. Every time there's an update the system wants to downlod the whole game again. It's ridiculous.

Today's update was 250mb which it downloaded in about 7 seconds. After that I got the copying rubbish which got to 28% in 45 minutes! Yep, 45 minutes. Then out of the blue it starts downloading 70gig! Which is the full game.

Why is it like this? It's pathetic. I wouldn't mind if it was a one off but it isn't, this happened last month too. I guess I've lost another day of eso plus.... Not happy at all.

Update files copying

NEN on Twitter If my reply helped you please consider marking it as a solution

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

The509ninja

23%
02 Rank
Progress
The509ninja
Accepted Solution

this is so frustrating, i got spiderman been looking forward to it for 3 years now since rumors were going around. playstations own developed game just for them, yes far cry 5 choose your path, just cause 3 make the world your explosive. and now this update copying bs comes along and takes a crap on us all. first off sony, right this moment bill gates is slapping you all around, xbox 1 sales are soaring now, all because of this. I have been a proud and loyal playstation owner since day one, I bought everything you all put out i even had a vita over here in north america for goodness sakes. here is a question for you sony, if it worked correctly then why change it. I think you all need this fixed. remember that the online scandle that microsoft chose to have cost them millions that went in your pocket, we the gamers can decide that microsoft should get our money instead of you.

0 Kudos

Update files copying

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

smiglostopy

22%
02 Rank
Progress
smiglostopy
Accepted Solution

Trying to play any game at this point. Turned on PS4pm pro at 7:45pm, its 9:46pm, and so far no luck. GT sport gave up after 45 min of updates and copying update files. BF 5, 40 min and counting. At 21% now. Wanted to have fun, play some games after work, so far, only major agitation.  Very bad. I feel like selling the system and getting an xbox. Sucks.

0 Kudos

Update files copying

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

MrNinja999

21%
02 Rank
Progress
MrNinja999
Accepted Solution

All my updates do tbis but the copying isnt that bad for me because I have an SSHD drive instead of a regular HDD

0 Kudos

Update files copying

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

WhiteMarine

64%
02 Rank
Progress
WhiteMarine
Accepted Solution

Just taken 10 minutes to copy a 190MB pubg update, needs sorting the download only took 10 seconds.

Update files copying

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

nickbrian

46%
02 Rank
Progress
nickbrian
Accepted Solution

Just downloaded the version 1.06 update for Battlefield V, couple 100’s of mb’s, downloaded in 1-2 minutes. Copying has been going on ever since, past 10 minutes now. Insane, this issue needs to be resolved @[Sony]  @[Playstation] 

I do use a external HD like many others on here, that’s might be an important detail. 

0 Kudos

Update files copying

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

SelfMedicatedRx

21%
02 Rank
Progress
SelfMedicatedRx
Accepted Solution

Sony Needs to hire Nick Burns or some computer guy to rid us of this BS. Telling me an update will take 10 minutes to download followed by an unexpected 40 minutes of copying without any warning or estimated time of completion is a bit harsh. 

Time is money, right? You’re Fing with my money, Sony. 

0 Kudos

Update files copying

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

Black_nova_234

24%
02 Rank
Progress
Black_nova_234
Accepted Solution

0 Kudos

Update files copying

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

Black_nova_234

24%
02 Rank
Progress
Black_nova_234
Accepted Solution

Currently downloading black ops 4 and the copying is frozen at 100%?

0 Kudos

Update files copying

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

ZenosolDaBeast

24%
02 Rank
Progress
ZenosolDaBeast
Accepted Solution

I found that for me it got stuck at 90% and only proceeded when the current game i had open was closed. so, if you have anything open see if you can close it.

0 Kudos

Update files copying

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

JoJoT3hClOwN

24%
02 Rank
Progress
JoJoT3hClOwN
Accepted Solution

This copy process is weak sauce.

0 Kudos

Update files copying

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

SlicingSword

42%
02 Rank
Progress
SlicingSword
Accepted Solution

I’m not sure if you found an answer yet, but if you haven’t, if you own an extended storage device, it needs to copy it. Not only will it download it on the main console but it will also move it to the extended storage, and I understand it’s very frustrating with how long it takes to download.

Update files copying

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

liam6260

24%
02 Rank
Progress
liam6260
SlicingSword
Accepted Solution

That’s just not true. Happens for everyone

0 Kudos

Update files copying

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

vBlaZiNv

23%
02 Rank
Progress
vBlaZiNv
Accepted Solution

To save bandwidth PS4 patches can be delivered as bytepatches. This is basically a small (relatively) file that only contains the changes between files. For instance if you have a 20GB file and change a 5MB graphic within it then the bytepatch will be only a 5MB download instead of a 20GB download again for one file.

This helps to massively reduce download times and to save Sony a lot of bandwidth in update files. It is also good for people with slower internet connections as then the patches do not take as long to download.

What happens when the PS4 is “copying update” is that it basically has to make a brand new copy of this 20GB file and apply the patches during the copy. After it has performed the patch to the file it then moves it back in place overwriting the original file with the new updated file.

For large games with many files changed in patches this process can take a long time to copy the update and it is a CPU & storage i/o limited process. Upgrading the internal drive to a faster 7200RPM drive will help make this a little faster but due to what's involved in the process it will never be quick.

0 Kudos

Update files copying

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

JAHill10

35%
02 Rank
Progress
JAHill10
Accepted Solution

Does anyone know how to fix this 

0 Kudos

Update files copying

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
MVP
/16

mont348

• MVP
100%
16 Rank
Progress
mont348
JAHill10
Accepted Solution

You can't. 

Some games such as Destiny 2 and Black Ops 4 are a lot slower than others to copy over due to poor coding by the game developers, thankfully I don't play either of the games so I don't have a problem with this. 

0 Kudos

Update files copying

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
MVP
/16

Oran_Gina

• MVP
100%
16 Rank
Progress
Oran_Gina
Accepted Solution

Oh Destiny 2 is a pain for it, it's awful, but blame don't blame PS for it.

RDR2 downloaded, copied, installed and all up and running perfectly in a couple of minutes yesterday.

I'm told, the equivalent patch on another platform was a 92GB download..the whole game.

0 Kudos

Update files copying

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

slyslim29

58%
02 Rank
Progress
slyslim29
Accepted Solution

Here we are, nearly a year later, and still this situation occurs. I attempted to make a separate post on this subject last night. Apparently, Sony does not want anyone telling the facts because my post never posted to the forums. However I will reiterate a few key points that I was intending to point out in that post:

Downloading is copying. The sheer definition of downloading is copying files from on location to another using FTP. Therefore, this renders copying useless and only a means to waste people's time and data, in essence, wasting our hard earned money!

A few notable facts:

Fact #1- Before 4g rolled out, downloads were much faster. Although, files were smaller, is not really a presentable argument here. As files were becoming larger, we acknowledged that and hence a faster network was created to accommodate larger file sharing and transference. So why is downloading still slow?

Fact #2- The PS3 did download faster and went straight to installing after download was completed. This was probably the best method that consoles could use to compete with their PC counterparts and should be reconsidered for future developments of next gen consoles.

Fact #3- Internet services are soley there for the download/upload capabilities and are a direct reason for such speeds to do so. However, once something is downloaded, hardware/software takes over for the install process. Again, "copying" is Sony PS4's hardware /software configuration and is useless as well as senseless. Therefore, this feature needs a Remove Update.

If consumers are not listened to by a product or service provider, then consumers will move on to whomever will give them what they want to spend their hard earned money on.

It is my hope, that when, not if because it's only a matter of time before it's released, the PS5 comes out, that Sony will not repeat this failure with the new console, as it seems the current console will not be changed in this manner. The PS5 should stand as the Golden Child of the Sony Playstation brand console and deliver on what consumers want and expect.

On that note, thank you for reading my post.

Play on!

0 Kudos

Update files copying

View our house rules for posts
Post Reply Update Reply Cancel